Default Boston Baken Bean

> BOSTON BAKED BEANS
>
> Yield: 16 servings
> Source: "Forbidden Foods Diabetic Cooking" by Maggie Powers
> Book info: http://tgcmagazine.com/bin/track/click.cgi?id=42
>
> INGREDIENTS
>
> - 1 pound dried navy beans
> - 1 large onion, chopped
> - 2 teaspoons salt
> - 1 tomato, chopped
> - 1/3 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
> - 3 tablespoons molasses>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>I increase this to 1 cup
> - 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
> - 1 tablespoons ketchup
> - 1 tablespoon ground ginger
> - 1 teaspoon dry mustard>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>1 tablespoon
> - 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper

I also add at least 1/2 pound of salt pork to the beans while
they are cooking and then add the meat chopped to the baking beans.

> DIRECTIONS
>
> Place the beans in a strainer and sort through the beans to
> remove stones, discolored beans, or any other objects. Rinse
> with cold water until beans are clean, about 2 minutes.
>
> In a large bowl, combine the beans, onion, salt, and enough
> water to cover them by 2 inches. Let stand 8 hours or
> overnight at room temperature; do not refrigerate.
>
> Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
>
> In a strainer, drain and rinse the beans and onion. Place in
> a 4-quart saucepan and add the tomato, sugar, molasses, vinegar,
> ketchup, ginger, mustard, and pepper; stir until blended. Add
> enough water to cover the beans, about 2 cups. Cover and bake
> until bubbly and the beans are soft, 5 hours.

Here Is the nutrient breakdown:
> Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/2 cup):
> Calories: 110, Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 50 mg,
> Carbohydrate: 21 g, Dietary Fiber: 4 g, Sugars: 4 g, Protein: 6 g
> Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 Starch

It is also an official diabetic recipe and used by our group frequently
with the additions.
You don't have to add anything to the original recipe.

wrote:

>> BOSTON BAKED BEANS
>>
>> Yield: 16 servings
>> Source: "Forbidden Foods Diabetic Cooking" by Maggie Powers
>> Book info:
http://tgcmagazine.com/bin/track/click.cgi?id=42

>> INGREDIENTS
>>
>> - 1 pound dried navy beans
>> - 1 large onion, chopped
>> - 2 teaspoons salt
>> - 1 tomato, chopped
>> - 1/3 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
>> - 3 tablespoons molasses>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>I increase this to
>> 1 cup
>> - 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
>> - 1 tablespoons ketchup
>> - 1 tablespoon ground ginger
>> - 1 teaspoon dry
>> mustard>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>1 tablespoon
>> - 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper

> I also add at least 1/2 pound of salt pork to the beans while they
> are cooking and then add the meat chopped to the baking beans.
>

>> DIRECTIONS
>>
>> Place the beans in a strainer and sort through the beans to
>> remove stones, discolored beans, or any other objects. Rinse
>> with cold water until beans are clean, about 2 minutes.
>>
>> In a large bowl, combine the beans, onion, salt, and enough
>> water to cover them by 2 inches. Let stand 8 hours or
>> overnight at room temperature; do not refrigerate.
>>
>> Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
>>
>> In a strainer, drain and rinse the beans and onion. Place in
>> a 4-quart saucepan and add the tomato, sugar, molasses, vinegar,
>> ketchup, ginger, mustard, and pepper; stir until blended. Add
>> enough water to cover the beans, about 2 cups. Cover and bake
>> until bubbly and the beans are soft, 5 hours.

Julie Bove

> wrote in message
link.net...
> > BOSTON BAKED BEANS
> >
> > Yield: 16 servings
> > Source: "Forbidden Foods Diabetic Cooking" by Maggie Powers

<snip>

With all those carbs, it's easy to see why it is forbidden! I'm not a low
carber and even I couldn't eat those!

--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

Karen

> wrote in message

<snip> > - 3 tablespoons molasses>>>>>>>I increase this to 1 cup>

Bistoury, thanks for posting the recipe. I know you said in your second
post that "you don't have to add anything to the original recipe". I just
wanted others, especially newbies, to be aware of what happens to the recipe
when it's altered:

I checked the nutritional info on my jar of molasses, and 1 tablespoon is 16
grams of carb. Taking into consideration the 3 tablespoons of molasses
already in the original recipe, the altered recipe would increase by another
13 grams of carb *per serving* with the addition of a cup of molasses. This
would be a total of 35g of carb per half-cup serving, or 31 net carbs after
you subtract the fiber. That's a pretty hefty carb count for a diabetic.

As originally written, though, the recipe comes in at a fairly respectable
18 grams of net carbs. That's doable for many of us (not for the
low-carbers, though). Also, legumes in moderation may help keep BGs on an
even keel.

The original recipe sounds like a good one, and I'm going to try it. I'll
try to trim the carb count even more by using Splenda instead of the brown
sugar and only 2 tablespoons of molasses, plus my carb-free ketchup. I know
there's brown sugar substitute available, but for me it leaves an unpleasant
aftertaste. I figure two tablespoons of molasses will account for just 2g
of carb per serving, and I can handle that.

Karen
Type 2

What are you talking about. There are only 21 carbs and 4 gr. of fibre.
That makes a really good food.

Julie Bove wrote:

> > wrote in message
> link.net...
>
>>>BOSTON BAKED BEANS
>>>
>>>Yield: 16 servings
>>>Source: "Forbidden Foods Diabetic Cooking" by Maggie Powers

> <snip>
>
> With all those carbs, it's easy to see why it is forbidden! I'm not a low
> carber and even I couldn't eat those!

I really don't worry about carbs and eat what I want of them including
pastas and rice of all kinds.
I also make my own bread. Couldn't live without my bread basket.

Karen wrote:

> > wrote in message
>
> <snip> > - 3 tablespoons molasses>>>>>>>I increase this to 1 cup>
>
> Bistoury, thanks for posting the recipe. I know you said in your second
> post that "you don't have to add anything to the original recipe". I just
> wanted others, especially newbies, to be aware of what happens to the recipe
> when it's altered:
>
> I checked the nutritional info on my jar of molasses, and 1 tablespoon is 16
> grams of carb. Taking into consideration the 3 tablespoons of molasses
> already in the original recipe, the altered recipe would increase by another
> 13 grams of carb *per serving* with the addition of a cup of molasses. This
> would be a total of 35g of carb per half-cup serving, or 31 net carbs after
> you subtract the fiber. That's a pretty hefty carb count for a diabetic.
>
> As originally written, though, the recipe comes in at a fairly respectable
> 18 grams of net carbs. That's doable for many of us (not for the
> low-carbers, though). Also, legumes in moderation may help keep BGs on an
> even keel.
>
> The original recipe sounds like a good one, and I'm going to try it. I'll
> try to trim the carb count even more by using Splenda instead of the brown
> sugar and only 2 tablespoons of molasses, plus my carb-free ketchup. I know
> there's brown sugar substitute available, but for me it leaves an unpleasant
> aftertaste. I figure two tablespoons of molasses will account for just 2g
> of carb per serving, and I can handle that.
>
> Karen
> Type 2

Julie Bove

> wrote in message
link.net...
> What are you talking about. There are only 21 carbs and 4 gr. of fibre.
> That makes a really good food.

I fail to see how there can be only 21 g of carb if you are adding a cup of
molasses. Beans are good. I eat them every day. I just can't eat the
sweet ones any more. And I'm not a low carber!
--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

If you will re-read the recipe I stated I add the additional molasses
and salt pork etc.
The original recipe is 21 carbs.
I even add a cup of real maple syrup and it makes no difference when I
eat it.

Julie Bove wrote:

> > wrote in message
> link.net...
>
>>What are you talking about. There are only 21 carbs and 4 gr. of fibre.
>>That makes a really good food.

> I fail to see how there can be only 21 g of carb if you are adding a cup of
> molasses. Beans are good. I eat them every day. I just can't eat the
> sweet ones any more. And I'm not a low carber!

Julie Bove

> wrote in message
link.net...
> If you will re-read the recipe I stated I add the additional molasses
> and salt pork etc.
> The original recipe is 21 carbs.
> I even add a cup of real maple syrup and it makes no difference when I
> eat it.

I don't need to re-read it. I know what it said. And that serving that
amounts to 21 g of carbs is about 1/3 a cup. You then add more sweetener
and up the carb count more.

--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

Extreme-cc's

bistoury so far I have seen nothing wrong with your recipes.
personally I don't cook my own cake but see nothing wrong
for me to have a 18 carb desert. some people may not beable to handle
it but I surely can.
don't worry about those who jump on your posts saying its high in carbs
because as we all know or what we all should know is that different
diabetics
handle carbs differently. if you are bothered by such people just kill file
them
and continue to post.
it is clear to see your recipes may not be for everyone.
with 17 + million diabetics in the US alone the American Diabetes
Association
has to know something about diabetes.
Tom
don't care what diet you follow.

> wrote in message
link.net...
> I really don't worry about carbs and eat what I want of them including
> pastas and rice of all kinds.
> I also make my own bread. Couldn't live without my bread basket.
>
> Karen wrote:
>
> > > wrote in message
> >
> > <snip> > - 3 tablespoons molasses>>>>>>>I increase this to 1 cup>
> >
> > Bistoury, thanks for posting the recipe. I know you said in your second
> > post that "you don't have to add anything to the original recipe". I

just
> > wanted others, especially newbies, to be aware of what happens to the

recipe
> > when it's altered:
> >
> > I checked the nutritional info on my jar of molasses, and 1 tablespoon

is 16
> > grams of carb. Taking into consideration the 3 tablespoons of molasses
> > already in the original recipe, the altered recipe would increase by

another
> > 13 grams of carb *per serving* with the addition of a cup of molasses.

This
> > would be a total of 35g of carb per half-cup serving, or 31 net carbs

after
> > you subtract the fiber. That's a pretty hefty carb count for a

diabetic.

> > As originally written, though, the recipe comes in at a fairly

respectable
> > 18 grams of net carbs. That's doable for many of us (not for the
> > low-carbers, though). Also, legumes in moderation may help keep BGs on

an
> > even keel.
> >
> > The original recipe sounds like a good one, and I'm going to try it.

I'll
> > try to trim the carb count even more by using Splenda instead of the

brown
> > sugar and only 2 tablespoons of molasses, plus my carb-free ketchup. I

know
> > there's brown sugar substitute available, but for me it leaves an

unpleasant
> > aftertaste. I figure two tablespoons of molasses will account for just

2g
> > of carb per serving, and I can handle that.
> >
> > Karen
> > Type 2

NoSpamo`

Thank you for your concern. We will be here for sometime and
continue to share these recipes and others that are from well
known books for diabetcis.
By the way we get no money for posting the name of a book.
We are not connected with Amazon other than placing our own
orders.
Mac

Boston lleichtman Wine 1 19-04-2013 05:15 PM
Boston Cream Pie TerryPogue Recipes (moderated) 0 19-10-2009 05:51 AM
AYCE in Boston or South of Boston AND AYCE PRICE CapeCodBob Sushi 3 16-10-2008 01:58 PM
Boston Butt - Second Try Karen C. Barbecue 68 16-09-2007 12:49 AM
Sea to You, Boston Peter Sushi 3 31-03-2005 10:57 PM