Peanutjake

Default Foodmakers Feeding Off Low-Carb Craze

Foodmakers Feeding Off Low-Carb Craze
Wed Jan 21,10:03 AM ET Add U.S. National - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Deborah Cohen

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Like prospectors chasing the California Gold Rush of 1849, companies seeking to
mine the low-carbohydrate eating craze are expected to show up in droves at a conference in Denver
this week.

The event promises to bring together the likes of well-known packaged food makers such as North
American leader Kraft Foods Inc., confectioner Hershey Foods Corp. and meat processor Tyson Foods
Inc.

There will also be a multitude of niche players specializing in products that appeal only to
adherents of low-carb diets like Atkins and South Beach.

Even big retailers like Wal-Mart Stores Inc., the largest U.S. grocery chain, will attend the
so-called LowCarbiz Summit, which begins on Thursday and runs for two days.

"This is an industry that has erupted over a period of 18 months," said Dean Rotbart, editor of
LowCarbiz.com, the online newsletter coordinating the event, which will cost attendees up to $800
apiece. "It went from a rocket sitting on a launch pad to a rocket zooming out of space."

Indeed, about 3.6 percent of the U.S. population is now following some form of a diet high in
proteins such as meat and chicken but limited in carbohydrates like bread and pasta and sugars,
according to NPD Group, a market research firm specializing in food trends, whose data surveyed
people through August.

Some researchers and health professionals remain skeptical of low-carb diets, especially Atkins,
which has been criticized for touting the benefits of liberal amounts of steak, eggs and fatty foods
linked with rising cholesterol and heart disease.

Atkins Nutritionals, the low-carb food and product maker founded by the late low-carb guru Robert
Atkins, has been telling health professionals in seminars to limit the amount of saturated fat that
its followers take in to 20 percent of calories.

The risks appear not to deter U.S. consumers, who are struggling with rising obesity rates and
related health problems. Low-carb versions of everything from Breyer's ice cream to Heinz tomato
ketchup have joined their traditional counterparts on grocers' shelves in recent months.

Big restaurant chains like Burger King are even getting into the act, catering to fast-food
customers with everything from bunless burgers to protein plates.

Still, some question how long the trend's momentum will continue.

"It will have a rapid rise here. It will last maybe two or three years," said NPD Vice President
Harry Balzer. "When it's all over, there will still be a low-carb contingent, but it will never be
the interest levels we're seeing right now."

On the agenda at the Colorado meeting are panel discussions on opportunities and risks, federal
regulation, the future of low-carb retailing and how to respond to diet naysayers, according to
materials provided by Rotbart.

Meals too, will stay on theme, featuring low-carb products sponsored by the likes of sandwich maker
Blimpie International, Rudi's Organic Bakery, and the Tortilla Factory, to name a few.

Rotbart said he expects some 400 attendees, including brand managers and marketing types from the
manufacturing and retailing communities. A second event is planned in Washington, D.C., in May.

"We believe companies have no choice but to respond to the low-carb movement with new products,"
wrote Morgan Stanley analyst William Pecoriello in a research report.

PJx

This is not a fad. It will NOT die out in 2 or 3 years.

PJ

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 14:22:56 -0500, "Peanutjake"
> [...]

>the interest levels we're seeing right now."
>

>On the agenda at the Colorado meeting are panel discussions on opportunities and risks, federal
>regulation, the future of low-carb retailing and how to respond to diet naysayers, according to
>materials provided by Rotbart.
>

>Meals too, will stay on theme, featuring low-carb products sponsored by the likes of sandwich maker
>Blimpie International, Rudi's Organic Bakery, and the Tortilla Factory, to name a few.
>

>Rotbart said he expects some 400 attendees, including brand managers and marketing types from the
>manufacturing and retailing communities. A second event is planned in Washington, D.C., in May.
>

>"We believe companies have no choice but to respond to the low-carb movement with new products,"
>wrote Morgan Stanley analyst William Pecoriello in a research report.

Siobhan Perricone

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 14:26:45 -0600, PJx > wrote:
>>Foodmakers Feeding Off Low-Carb Craze
>>Wed Jan 21,10:03 AM ET Add U.S. National - Reuters to My Yahoo!
>>

>>By Deborah Cohen
>>
>>CHICAGO (Reuters) - Like prospectors chasing the California Gold Rush of 1849, companies seeking to
>>mine the low-carbohydrate eating craze are expected to show up in droves at a conference in Denver
>>this week.

>This is not a fad. It will NOT die out in 2 or 3 years.

Yep. Because the factor none of them are taking into account is that
diabetics have been wanting this sort of product for *years*. I think that
they're really tapping into the before-under-served diabetics market in a
way they never did before, and it's not just Atkins dieters who are happy
with these options. I love a lot of this stuff! I have low-carb milk! Woo
woo! 2 carbs for a cup of chocolate milk? I'm THERE.

I never thought I'd ever be so happy to have a diet craze catch on.

--
Siobhan Perricone
The actions taken by the New Hampshire Episcopalians are an affront to
Joe

If such a thing can be said (and properly understood), there has never been
a better time to be diabetic. Hopefully, the low-carb "phenomenon" will
become etched in stone.

"Siobhan Perricone" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 14:26:45 -0600, PJx > wrote:
> >>Foodmakers Feeding Off Low-Carb Craze
> >>Wed Jan 21,10:03 AM ET Add U.S. National - Reuters to My Yahoo!
> >>

> >>By Deborah Cohen
> >>
> >>CHICAGO (Reuters) - Like prospectors chasing the California Gold Rush of

1849, companies seeking to
> >>mine the low-carbohydrate eating craze are expected to show up in droves

at a conference in Denver
> >>this week.

> >This is not a fad. It will NOT die out in 2 or 3 years.

> Yep. Because the factor none of them are taking into account is that
> diabetics have been wanting this sort of product for *years*. I think that
> they're really tapping into the before-under-served diabetics market in a
> way they never did before, and it's not just Atkins dieters who are happy
> with these options. I love a lot of this stuff! I have low-carb milk! Woo
> woo! 2 carbs for a cup of chocolate milk? I'm THERE.
>
> I never thought I'd ever be so happy to have a diet craze catch on.
>
> --
> Siobhan Perricone
> The actions taken by the New Hampshire Episcopalians are an affront to
> Christians everywhere. I am just thankful that the church's founder, Henry
> VIII, and his wife Catherine of Aragon, his wife Anne Boleyn, his wife

Jane
> Seymour, his wife Anne of Cleves, his wife Catherine Howard and his wife
> Catherine Parr are no longer here to suffer through this assault on our
> "traditional Christian marriage."
> - Owen Keavney

Julie Bove

"Peanutjake" > wrote in message
> Foodmakers Feeding Off Low-Carb Craze

<snip>

Yeah. I wonder how long it will take for this to go the way of low fat, oat
bran, and all the other food fads.

--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

Julie Bove

"Siobhan Perricone" > wrote in message
> >This is not a fad. It will NOT die out in 2 or 3 years.

> Yep. Because the factor none of them are taking into account is that
> diabetics have been wanting this sort of product for *years*.

We have? I never have. I prefer my food to be whole and natural. Whenever
food is doctored with, it scares me. I also don't do a low carb diet and
don't forsee myself ever doing so, with the exception of a few isolated days
here and there when my BG is going wacky.

> I think that they're really tapping into the before-under-served diabetics

market in a
> way they never did before, and it's not just Atkins dieters who are happy
> with these options. I love a lot of this stuff! I have low-carb milk! Woo
> woo! 2 carbs for a cup of chocolate milk? I'm THERE.

I see a lot of low carb stuff all full of soy. What's going to happen when
people start developing thyroid problems from eating all this soy?

> I never thought I'd ever be so happy to have a diet craze catch on.

I think this will burn out rather quickly when people realize that they
can't eat as much as they want to of this stuff, just like they couldn't do
all you can eat low fat.

--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

Jmmbear

In article >, Siobhan Perricone
> writes:

>>>CHICAGO (Reuters) - Like prospectors chasing the California Gold Rush of

>1849, companies seeking to
>>>mine the low-carbohydrate eating craze are expected to show up in droves at

>a conference in Denver
>>>this week.

>>This is not a fad. It will NOT die out in 2 or 3 years.

>Yep. Because the factor none of them are taking into account is that
>diabetics have been wanting this sort of product for *years*. I think that
>they're really tapping into the before-under-served diabetics market in a
>way they never did before, and it's not just Atkins dieters who are happy
>with these options. I love a lot of this stuff! I have low-carb milk! Woo
>woo! 2 carbs for a cup of chocolate milk? I'm THERE.
>
>I never thought I'd ever be so happy to have a diet craze catch on.
>
>--
>Siobhan Perricone

IMO most of the food that they are now decreasing the extra sugar in, didnt
need the extra sugar in the first place.. I mean really , does Nuriche really
need 50gr sugar added to it, to make it palatable?
As always YMMV and this is JMO
Jeanne Type 2 Diagnosed 05/28/02
189/154/120
Beav

"Peanutjake" > wrote in message
> Foodmakers Feeding Off Low-Carb Craze
> Wed Jan 21,10:03 AM ET Add U.S. National - Reuters to My Yahoo!
>

> By Deborah Cohen
>
> CHICAGO (Reuters) - Like prospectors chasing the California Gold Rush of

1849, companies seeking to
> mine the low-carbohydrate eating craze are expected to show up in droves

at a conference in Denver
> this week.

How earth shattering. I NEVER expected that :-)))

Beav

Amal Shookup

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message >...

> I see a lot of low carb stuff all full of soy. What's going to happen when
> people start developing thyroid problems from eating all this soy?

I would be surprised if people's metabolisms weren't already affected.
Lots of processed foods for years have contained soy, often in as
various forms of soybean oil. Soy burgers, tofu, and some of the
tempehs are fairly low in carbs, but none of them are exactly new
products. IMO the food industry could still stand to profit from a soy
campaign in this low carb climate.

-p
Judy_Gee

Sadly, there is no free lunch, but I have to say that the low carb
craze may have something for us diabetics.

Looking at the labels (and sticking to ice cream for now) the low-carb
ice cream is relatively high in fat (at least compared to the low fat
stuff).

If you divide nutrition into three groups: protein, fat, carbohydrate
(and there are a lot of other ways to do this) and assume that
protein+fat+carbohydrate=100 percent of the product, then when you CUT
one of the components, one or both of the others have to go up.

Judy G

Alan Mackenzie

Judy_Gee > wrote on 22 Jan 2004 04:27:44 -0800:
> Sadly, there is no free lunch, but I have to say that the low carb
> craze may have something for us diabetics.

> Looking at the labels (and sticking to ice cream for now) the low-carb
> ice cream is relatively high in fat (at least compared to the low fat
> stuff).

> If you divide nutrition into three groups: protein, fat, carbohydrate
> (and there are a lot of other ways to do this) and assume that
> protein+fat+carbohydrate=100 percent of the product, then when you CUT
> one of the components, one or both of the others have to go up.

That was always my argument against low-fat milk (yuck!) - "low-fat"
probably means "high carbohydrate". But then I realised it's not true.
"low-fat" could just mean "high water". And "low carbohydrate" could
just mean they fill it up with sawdust (or whatever).

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: ; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter

Beav

"Judy_Gee" > wrote in message
> Sadly, there is no free lunch, but I have to say that the low carb
> craze may have something for us diabetics.
>
> Looking at the labels (and sticking to ice cream for now) the low-carb
> ice cream is relatively high in fat (at least compared to the low fat
> stuff).
>
> If you divide nutrition into three groups: protein, fat, carbohydrate
> (and there are a lot of other ways to do this) and assume that
> protein+fat+carbohydrate=100 percent of the product, then when you CUT
> one of the components, one or both of the others have to go up.

Amazing lesson in maths there Judy:-)))

Beav

Beav

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Peanutjake" > wrote in message
> > Foodmakers Feeding Off Low-Carb Craze

> <snip>
>
> Yeah. I wonder how long it will take for this to go the way of low fat,

oat
> bran, and all the other food fads.

I don't get the "going the way of" statement at all. Low fat is the way to
go if you've got heart problems, and oat bran has ALWAYS been good for your
"lower end", and I've not seen much evidence of either disappearing.

Beav

Lance-A-Lot

"Beav" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> >

> > "Peanutjake" > wrote in message
> > > Foodmakers Feeding Off Low-Carb Craze

> > <snip>
> >
> > Yeah. I wonder how long it will take for this to go the way of low fat,

> oat
> > bran, and all the other food fads.

> I don't get the "going the way of" statement at all. Low fat is the way to
> go if you've got heart problems, and oat bran has ALWAYS been good for your
> "lower end", and I've not seen much evidence of either disappearing.
>

> Beav

I must agree with you Beav. IMHO I haven't seen much evidence of my "lower
end" disappearing either.

Did *I* say that?? Ok, just kidding on the "lower end" bit. I think it's the
hypo coming on. Gotta go eat.
--
Steve, T2 since 9/29/03 - Amaryl & Metformin
Looking for help controlling your blood sugar?

W. Baker

In alt.support.diabetes Mack > wrote:
: On 22 Jan 2004 04:27:44 -0800, (Judy_Gee)
: wrote:

: >Sadly, there is no free lunch, but I have to say that the low carb
: >craze may have something for us diabetics.
: >
: >Looking at the labels (and sticking to ice cream for now) the low-carb
: >ice cream is relatively high in fat (at least compared to the low fat
: >stuff).
: >
: >If you divide nutrition into three groups: protein, fat, carbohydrate
: >(and there are a lot of other ways to do this) and assume that
: >protein+fat+carbohydrate=100 percent of the product, then when you CUT
: >one of the components, one or both of the others have to go up.
: >
: >Judy G

: no they don't. If you check the Eddie's Grand Ice sugar free
: sweetened with Splenda the regular sugar free has the same fat content
: as the regular with sugar. comparing a non fat brand to a regular fat
: brand because both are sugar free does not support this statement.
: Eddy's makes both regular sugar free and low fat sugar free ice cream.
: Compare low fat to low fat for an accurate picture.

: Mack
: Type 1 since 1975
:
http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org
: http://www.insulin-pumpers.org

: In tribute to the United States of America and the State
: of Israel, two bastions of strength in a world filled with strife and
: terrorism.

Mack, I think with the Edy's it is a low fat not sugar added and a no fat
no sugar added they make. What is the interesting thing is that the
dalorie count for both is the same and the mo fat has higher carbs, as
they have to put something in to thicken it up some. I but the low fat
and enjoy the fewer carbs and nice taste, unlike the plastic taste of the
no fat.

The only full fat ice cream-no sugar added is the Breyer's lo-carb ice
cream. I have not tried it as the carb difference is not so great and why
ea that much more milkfat?

Wendy

Mack

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 23:10:10 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker"
> wrote:

>In alt.support.diabetes Mack > wrote:
>: On 22 Jan 2004 04:27:44 -0800, (Judy_Gee)
>: wrote:
>
>: >Sadly, there is no free lunch, but I have to say that the low carb
>: >craze may have something for us diabetics.
>: >
>: >Looking at the labels (and sticking to ice cream for now) the low-carb
>: >ice cream is relatively high in fat (at least compared to the low fat
>: >stuff).
>: >
>: >If you divide nutrition into three groups: protein, fat, carbohydrate
>: >(and there are a lot of other ways to do this) and assume that
>: >protein+fat+carbohydrate=100 percent of the product, then when you CUT
>: >one of the components, one or both of the others have to go up.
>: >
>: >Judy G
>

>: no they don't. If you check the Eddie's Grand Ice sugar free
>: sweetened with Splenda the regular sugar free has the same fat content
>: as the regular with sugar. comparing a non fat brand to a regular fat
>: brand because both are sugar free does not support this statement.
>: Eddy's makes both regular sugar free and low fat sugar free ice cream.
>: Compare low fat to low fat for an accurate picture.
>
>: Mack
>: Type 1 since 1975
>:
http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org
>: http://www.insulin-pumpers.org
>
>: In tribute to the United States of America and the State
>: of Israel, two bastions of strength in a world filled with strife and
>: terrorism.
>
>Mack, I think with the Edy's it is a low fat not sugar added and a no fat
>no sugar added they make. What is the interesting thing is that the
>dalorie count for both is the same and the mo fat has higher carbs, as
>they have to put something in to thicken it up some. I but the low fat
>and enjoy the fewer carbs and nice taste, unlike the plastic taste of the
>no fat.
>
>The only full fat ice cream-no sugar added is the Breyer's lo-carb ice
>cream. I have not tried it as the carb difference is not so great and why
>ea that much more milkfat?
>
>Wendy

I checked this already, Edy's make a regular fat content no sugar
added as well as the low and no fat.

Mack
Type 1 since 1975
http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org
http://www.insulin-pumpers.org

In tribute to the United States of America and the State
of Israel, two bastions of strength in a world filled with strife and
terrorism.

Evelyn Ruut

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> In alt.support.diabetes Mack > wrote:
> : On 22 Jan 2004 04:27:44 -0800, (Judy_Gee)
> : wrote:
>
> : >Sadly, there is no free lunch, but I have to say that the low carb
> : >craze may have something for us diabetics.
> : >
> : >Looking at the labels (and sticking to ice cream for now) the low-carb
> : >ice cream is relatively high in fat (at least compared to the low fat
> : >stuff).
> : >
> : >If you divide nutrition into three groups: protein, fat, carbohydrate
> : >(and there are a lot of other ways to do this) and assume that
> : >protein+fat+carbohydrate=100 percent of the product, then when you CUT
> : >one of the components, one or both of the others have to go up.
> : >
> : >Judy G
>

> : no they don't. If you check the Eddie's Grand Ice sugar free
> : sweetened with Splenda the regular sugar free has the same fat content
> : as the regular with sugar. comparing a non fat brand to a regular fat
> : brand because both are sugar free does not support this statement.
> : Eddy's makes both regular sugar free and low fat sugar free ice cream.
> : Compare low fat to low fat for an accurate picture.
>
> : Mack
> : Type 1 since 1975
> :
http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org
> : http://www.insulin-pumpers.org
>
> : In tribute to the United States of America and the State
> : of Israel, two bastions of strength in a world filled with strife and
> : terrorism.
>
> Mack, I think with the Edy's it is a low fat not sugar added and a no fat
> no sugar added they make. What is the interesting thing is that the
> dalorie count for both is the same and the mo fat has higher carbs, as
> they have to put something in to thicken it up some. I but the low fat
> and enjoy the fewer carbs and nice taste, unlike the plastic taste of the
> no fat.
>
> The only full fat ice cream-no sugar added is the Breyer's lo-carb ice
> cream. I have not tried it as the carb difference is not so great and why
> ea that much more milkfat?
>
> Wendy

Wendy, I was always a Breyers fan, but their no sugar added ice cream is
awful. I have no idea why.

--
Evelyn

(To reply to me personally, remove sox)

Jmmbear

\
>Problem is, other than the truly low-carb foods, what people who eat
>the low-effective-carb foods are doing is replacing the sweet provided
>by sugars with the sweet provided by sugar alcohols and artificial
>sweetners.

That is because people have become so accustomed to VERY sweet things..
I find that most regular foods are too sweet for me now..
Many of these items have been switching to splenda which is Not a sugar
alchohol, but actually made from sugar... So not a bad susitute.. But either
way we eat way to much sugar anyway..

Some/many people think they can eat lots - and think,
>consequently, that they can have their usual "sweet" and
>weight-reduction.

People need to realize that it is like anything else Moderation.. Just because
it says lowcarb is not a licence to overeat and overindulge anything.

Unfortunately, many of the sugar-alcohol foods are
>as calorie-dense as their old-fashioned sugar-containing ancestors.
>Once people realize that they are not losing weight with THIS TYPE of
>low-carb, will the demand for low-carb in general continue or go the
>way of another failed fad?

Well, I lost 30lbs on it, but I learned very early on that I cannot eat great
amounts of these candys without there being a bill to pay.. Much of lowcarb is
just learning to eat properly again.. Fresh veggies, fish, chicken, fruit.. I
think that it isnt going to go away any time soon.. For that Im glad..It has
made the transition for me so much easier..

>(Also, are sugar alcohol and artificial sweetners are "healthy" foods?
>Are people going to experience problems -other than flat wallets -
>from their increased and extended use? If so, how will this affect
>the low-carb market?)
>
>Rose
>T2

Since sugar itself isnt exactly a healthy food, what is the difference? kwim?
We eat tons more sugar a year than we ever did.. We eat tons more junk food
than we ever did years ago.. We eat tons of quick/fast/unhealthy food all in
the name of convenience and speed.. So this just levels the playing field a
bit..

As always YMMV and this is JMO
Jeanne Type 2 Diagnosed 05/28/02
189/154/120

Julie Bove

"Beav" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> >

> > "Peanutjake" > wrote in message
> > > Foodmakers Feeding Off Low-Carb Craze

> > <snip>
> >
> > Yeah. I wonder how long it will take for this to go the way of low fat,

> oat
> > bran, and all the other food fads.

> I don't get the "going the way of" statement at all. Low fat is the way to
> go if you've got heart problems, and oat bran has ALWAYS been good for

your
> "lower end", and I've not seen much evidence of either disappearing.

I didn't say that eating a low fat diet was bad for you. And maybe the
products available to you in the U.K are different than what we have here.
But for the past several years, manufacturers have been touting low fat
things like cookies, pastries and crackers. Since they take the fat out,
they taste terrible so sugar is added. In my opinion, this doesn't make
them any healthier for you. They're still junk food! Yet, people were told
to eat "low fat" so they were eating these things, and often an entire
package at a time!

The oat bran thing was back in the late 70's/early 80's where they said oat
bran lowered cholesterol. Suddenly, oat bran was in everything! And
sometimes in things you wouldn't want it to be in. Then just as suddenly
they discovered that their research had been faulty and that oat bran did
not lower cholesterol. Now nobody wanted those products with the added oat
bran and the prices were slashed. I have an oat bran cookbook that I
purchased for 10 cents.

--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

Beav

"Pete" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 17:58:29 -0500, "Lance-A-Lot"
> > wrote:

fat,
> >> oat
> >> I don't get the "going the way of" statement at all. Low fat is the way

> >> go if you've got heart problems, and oat bran has ALWAYS been good for

your
> >> "lower end", and I've not seen much evidence of either disappearing.
> >> Beav

> >I must agree with you Beav. IMHO I haven't seen much evidence of my

"lower
> >end" disappearing either.

> Mine did last month...........must lay off the sprouts.....

Noooo, keep the sprouts. I contemplated a sprout butty the other night, but
I thought that was taking things just a bit too far :-)

Beav

Beav

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Beav" > wrote in message

> > > <snip>
> > >
> > > Yeah. I wonder how long it will take for this to go the way of low

fat,
> > oat
> > > bran, and all the other food fads.

> > I don't get the "going the way of" statement at all. Low fat is the way

> > go if you've got heart problems, and oat bran has ALWAYS been good for

> your
> > "lower end", and I've not seen much evidence of either disappearing.

> I didn't say that eating a low fat diet was bad for you.

No yo didn't, but you DID infer that low fat diets have made an exit. I
still see PLENTY of low fat foods at the supermarkets and low fat food ads
on TV, which is why I said I don't understand yur statement.

And maybe the
> products available to you in the U.K are different than what we have here.

It's a possibility.

> But for the past several years, manufacturers have been touting low fat
> things like cookies, pastries and crackers. Since they take the fat out,
> they taste terrible so sugar is added. In my opinion, this doesn't make
> them any healthier for you.

It doesn't if you're diabetic, but it does if your particular "interest" is
in hearts and arteries. (supposedly anyway:-)

They're still junk food! Yet, people were told
> to eat "low fat" so they were eating these things, and often an entire
> package at a time!

Yeah well that's not REALLY the fault of the food so much as the fault of
the feeder is it?

> The oat bran thing was back in the late 70's/early 80's where they said

oat
> bran lowered cholesterol. Suddenly, oat bran was in everything! And
> sometimes in things you wouldn't want it to be in. Then just as suddenly
> they discovered that their research had been faulty and that oat bran did
> not lower cholesterol. Now nobody wanted those products with the added

oat
> bran and the prices were slashed. I have an oat bran cookbook that I
> purchased for 10 cents.

Boil it with a little salt, add some Worcesteshire sauce and you're off and
running (to the bog probably:-)

Beav

Judy_Gee

> That was always my argument against low-fat milk (yuck!) - "low-fat"
> probably means "high carbohydrate". But then I realised it's not true.
> "low-fat" could just mean "high water". And "low carbohydrate" could
> just mean they fill it up with sawdust (or whatever).

You make an interesting point: fiber shows up in the labels as a
subset of carbohydrate. I remember when hi-fiber was trendy, and
manufacturers were adding "fiber" to foods. Some of foods which you
wouldn't expect to have fiber, like vanilla ice cream. I have NO idea
what they added, and I think I'm better off in ignorance. Judy Gee
W. Baker

: > wrote:

: >In alt.support.diabetes Mack > wrote:
: >: On 22 Jan 2004 04:27:44 -0800, (Judy_Gee)
: >: wrote:
k: >
: >
: >:
[...]

this must be a new variety that has not shown up in my local stores. It
may be a response to the low-carb-high fat craze. It would have to be
extremely low in carb for me to want to take all the extra fat, but might
be nice for a treat. I am now quite used to the taste and texture of the
low-fat-no sugar added.

Wendy

Peanutjake

"W. Baker" > wrote

> The only full fat ice cream-no sugar added is the Breyer's lo-carb ice
> cream. I have not tried it as the carb difference is not so great and why
> ea that much more milkfat?
>
> Wendy

Bryer's is 4 net grams of carb in a 1/2 cup serving.

When I limit myself to just 1/2 cup it has no effect on my blood readings.

PJ

Peanutjake

"Evelyn Ruut" > wrote
> > Forget the no fat, low fat, no sugar ice cream.
> > What a diabetic needs is Low Carb ice cream.
> > Bryer's Low Carb tastes great.Just like regular ice cream.
> > PJ

> Hi Jake,
>
> I have tried Perry's, Edy's, Blue Bunny, and Breyers.... all their "no sugar
> added" flavors and honestly I thought the Blue Bunny brand was the tastiest.
> I like plain old vanilla, so that may be the catch.
>
> Evelyn

Evelyn, No Sugar many times means high carb.
Bryers sugar free ice cream has more carbs than their regular ice cream..

Look for Low Carb Ice Cream. That mean 4 grams of carb or less in a serving.

Bryers make a good low carb ice cream and Turkey Hill is coming out with their version. There may be
others.

PJ

W. Baker

In alt.support.diabetes Peanutjake > wrote:

[...]

Is that 4 grs of NET carbs, after subtracting the sugar alcohols from all
the "ols"?

Wendy
Jmmbear

In article >, "W. Baker" >
writes:

>Is that 4 grs of NET carbs, after subtracting the sugar alcohols from all
>the "ols"?
>
>Wendy

yes.
As always YMMV and this is JMO
Jeanne Type 2 Diagnosed 05/28/02
189/154/120
Peanutjake

"W. Baker" > wrote in

> Is that 4 grs of NET carbs, after subtracting the sugar alcohols from all
> the "ols"?
>
> Wendy

Yes NET.

PJ

KD

Can you explain about the sugar alcohols. I'm new to this whole thing
and just bought some low carb bread, but I did notice it had one of
the sugar alcohols. What do I need to watch out for with them?

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 17:47:26 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker"
> wrote:

>In alt.support.diabetes Peanutjake > wrote:
>
>: "Evelyn Ruut" > wrote
>: > > Forget the no fat, low fat, no sugar ice cream.
>: > > What a diabetic needs is Low Carb ice cream.
>: > > Bryer's Low Carb tastes great.Just like regular ice cream.
>: > > PJ
>: >
>: > Hi Jake,
>: >
>: > I have tried Perry's, Edy's, Blue Bunny, and Breyers.... all their "no sugar
>: > added" flavors and honestly I thought the Blue Bunny brand was the tastiest.
>: > I like plain old vanilla, so that may be the catch.
>: >
>: > Evelyn
>

>: Evelyn, No Sugar many times means high carb.
>: Bryers sugar free ice cream has more carbs than their regular ice cream..
>
>: Look for Low Carb Ice Cream. That mean 4 grams of carb or less in a serving.
>
>: Bryers make a good low carb ice cream and Turkey Hill is coming out with their version. There may be
>: others.
>
>: PJ
>
>Is that 4 grs of NET carbs, after subtracting the sugar alcohols from all
>the "ols"?
>
>Wendy

Julie Bove

"KD" > wrote in message
> Can you explain about the sugar alcohols. I'm new to this whole thing
> and just bought some low carb bread, but I did notice it had one of
> the sugar alcohols. What do I need to watch out for with them?

Stomach upset. Eat them and you might be flying to the bathroom or clearing
the room you're in due to extreme gas. They are a laxative.

--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

KD

Thanks! Now that you say it, I remember that now.

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 16:10:40 -0500, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"KD" > wrote in message
>> Can you explain about the sugar alcohols. I'm new to this whole thing
>> and just bought some low carb bread, but I did notice it had one of
>> the sugar alcohols. What do I need to watch out for with them?

>Stomach upset. Eat them and you might be flying to the bathroom or clearing
>the room you're in due to extreme gas. They are a laxative.

W. Baker

In alt.support.diabetes Alan wrote:
: On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 20:47:08 GMT, "Ol' Bab"
: > wrote:

: >Alan wrote:
: >> Blue Bunny makes a fat-free, no added sugar ice cream that tastes
: >> pretty good.
: >
: >But did you compare the carbs with ordinary ice cream?
: >
: >The trouble with "fat free" ice cream is the fat replacement stuff
: >(absolutely
: >required or you end up with something more like ice milk!). This stuff is
: >high carb. Avoid fat free, look for low total usable carbs.
: >
: >But I haven't looked lately, perhaps they have found an exotic new chemical
: >that's low carb AND adds that wonderful butterfat feel. "Better living
: >through
: >chemistry." Makes ME nervous.
: >
: >Ol' Bab
: >

: I understand your concern.

: For example, I bought some "lower fat" Jif Peanut Butter, and found it
: had more carbs than the regular stuff. They added SUGAR!

: However, the Blue Bunny FAT-FREE, NO ADDED SUGAR
: (That means NO FAT, and it means NO ADDED SUGAR) ice cream has to be
: much better than regular ice cream, don't you think?

: What that means is NO FAT (compared to a lot of fat in regular ice
: cream.)

: AND NO ADDED SUGAR -- which means that the only carbs in it are from
: the milk/dairy products in the ice cream. All the sweeteners would be
: artificial, see. NOT sugar.

There well may be carbohydrate starch fillers added to improve the texure
of the no fat ice cream. Als ther are probably some of the "ols", the
sugar alcohol sweeteners that for many work l8ike carbs, but a bit slower.
I know the Atkins people subtract all the sugar alsohols, but if they are
not upsetting your stomach, they are being absorbed as slower acting
carbs. Sheck the nutritional labels. I have found that low fat rather
than no fat have lower total carbs. This is the same with items like no
fat mayo.

Wendy