Old 28-01-2004, 05:47 PM
W. Baker

Default Foodmakers Feeding Off Low-Carb Craze

In alt.support.diabetes Peanutjake wrote:

: "Evelyn Ruut" wrote
: Forget the no fat, low fat, no sugar ice cream.
: What a diabetic needs is Low Carb ice cream.
: Bryer's Low Carb tastes great.Just like regular ice cream.
: PJ
:
: Hi Jake,
:
: I have tried Perry's, Edy's, Blue Bunny, and Breyers.... all their "no sugar
: added" flavors and honestly I thought the Blue Bunny brand was the tastiest.
: I like plain old vanilla, so that may be the catch.
:
: Evelyn

: Evelyn, No Sugar many times means high carb.
: Bryers sugar free ice cream has more carbs than their regular ice cream..

: Look for Low Carb Ice Cream. That mean 4 grams of carb or less in a serving.

: Bryers make a good low carb ice cream and Turkey Hill is coming out with their version. There may be
: others.

: PJ

Is that 4 grs of NET carbs, after subtracting the sugar alcohols from all
the "ols"?

Wendy

Old 28-01-2004, 08:12 PM
Jmmbear

In article , "W. Baker"
writes:

Is that 4 grs of NET carbs, after subtracting the sugar alcohols from all
the "ols"?

Wendy

yes.
As always YMMV and this is JMO
Jeanne Type 2 Diagnosed 05/28/02
189/154/120
Old 29-01-2004, 04:01 AM
Peanutjake

"W. Baker" wrote in

Is that 4 grs of NET carbs, after subtracting the sugar alcohols from all
the "ols"?

Wendy

Yes NET.

PJ

Old 29-01-2004, 01:46 PM
KD

Can you explain about the sugar alcohols. I'm new to this whole thing
and just bought some low carb bread, but I did notice it had one of
the sugar alcohols. What do I need to watch out for with them?

Old 29-01-2004, 09:10 PM
Julie Bove

"KD" wrote in message
Can you explain about the sugar alcohols. I'm new to this whole thing
and just bought some low carb bread, but I did notice it had one of
the sugar alcohols. What do I need to watch out for with them?

Stomach upset. Eat them and you might be flying to the bathroom or clearing
the room you're in due to extreme gas. They are a laxative.

--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

Old 30-01-2004, 01:46 PM
KD

Thanks! Now that you say it, I remember that now.

Old 31-01-2004, 11:28 PM
W. Baker

In alt.support.diabetes Alan wrote:
: On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 20:47:08 GMT, "Ol' Bab"
: wrote:

: Alan wrote:
: Blue Bunny makes a fat-free, no added sugar ice cream that tastes
: pretty good.
:
: But did you compare the carbs with ordinary ice cream?
:
: The trouble with "fat free" ice cream is the fat replacement stuff
: (absolutely
: required or you end up with something more like ice milk!). This stuff is
: high carb. Avoid fat free, look for low total usable carbs.
:
: But I haven't looked lately, perhaps they have found an exotic new chemical
: that's low carb AND adds that wonderful butterfat feel. "Better living
: through
: chemistry." Makes ME nervous.
:
: Ol' Bab
:

: I understand your concern.

: For example, I bought some "lower fat" Jif Peanut Butter, and found it
: had more carbs than the regular stuff. They added SUGAR!

: However, the Blue Bunny FAT-FREE, NO ADDED SUGAR
: (That means NO FAT, and it means NO ADDED SUGAR) ice cream has to be
: much better than regular ice cream, don't you think?

: What that means is NO FAT (compared to a lot of fat in regular ice
: cream.)

: AND NO ADDED SUGAR -- which means that the only carbs in it are from
: the milk/dairy products in the ice cream. All the sweeteners would be
: artificial, see. NOT sugar.

There well may be carbohydrate starch fillers added to improve the texure
of the no fat ice cream. Als ther are probably some of the "ols", the
sugar alcohol sweeteners that for many work l8ike carbs, but a bit slower.
I know the Atkins people subtract all the sugar alsohols, but if they are
not upsetting your stomach, they are being absorbed as slower acting
carbs. Sheck the nutritional labels. I have found that low fat rather
than no fat have lower total carbs. This is the same with items like no
fat mayo.

Wendy