Matt Harwood

Default Help Required. Suggestions please

Hi, I'm new to this list. I've just had a quick browse through some of your

I've recently been diagnosed with Diabetes. At the moment, my doctors are
trying to control it with different tablets, but it seems to be failing. I
believe I am going to be put on insulin on my next appointment.

To me, this is totally devastating. I can't stand the thought of needled,
(self confessed coward), and my diet is about as incompatible with diabetes
as can possibly be... Hence why I'm here.

Can any of you recommend some kind of regular foods that I can try.
Obviously, I've been told to lay off anything with a sugar content, (within
reason), and that I should try to cut out fatty foods. (I've been told that
diabetics are far more at risk from heart disease).
Now here's the crunch, I also have a very unusual and fairly rare problem
called Atopic Fresh Fruit Syndrome. - This means I'm pretty much allergic to
most fruits, salads and vegetables. To make matters worse, I don't really
like anything with strong flavours like onions, peppers, garlic etc.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance

Matt

Siobhan Perricone

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 19:44:27 +0000 (UTC), "Matt Harwood"
> wrote:

>I've recently been diagnosed with Diabetes. At the moment, my doctors are
>trying to control it with different tablets, but it seems to be failing. I
>believe I am going to be put on insulin on my next appointment.

Since you're talking about controlling it with pills, I'm thinking Type II?

Just wanted to put in a plug for this, so that you can understand what
you've got and what you can do about it, please please get this book and
read it:

The First Year: Type II Diabetes by Gretchen Becker

This book is a godsend.

With the advice in this book, my husband, who was diagnosed at 12.3 A1c
(pretty high), was in the normal range (under 6.0 A1c) within six months,
and has maintained that for nearly a year now. I wasn't so high when I was
diagnosed (7.3 A1c), and I've been at 6.1 A1c for at least nine months.

The book is great, matter of fact, and very encouraging, and no, I have no
interest in it being bought other than helping to get the information out
there. The more of us who understand our condition and can take control of
it, the better.

--
Siobhan Perricone
The actions taken by the New Hampshire Episcopalians are an affront to
Julie Bove

"Matt Harwood" > wrote in message
> Hi, I'm new to this list. I've just had a quick browse through some of

your

> I've recently been diagnosed with Diabetes. At the moment, my doctors are
> trying to control it with different tablets, but it seems to be failing. I
> believe I am going to be put on insulin on my next appointment.
>
> To me, this is totally devastating. I can't stand the thought of needled,
> (self confessed coward), and my diet is about as incompatible with

diabetes
> as can possibly be... Hence why I'm here.

Your first line of defense is diet and exercise. If you are not doing these
things, all the pills in the world won't help you.

> Can any of you recommend some kind of regular foods that I can try.
> Obviously, I've been told to lay off anything with a sugar content,

(within
> reason), and that I should try to cut out fatty foods. (I've been told

that
> diabetics are far more at risk from heart disease).

First, you should know that sugar isn't the culprit. In fact, diabetics are
no longer told to cut out sugar. That being said, it is carbs that rause
our BG. And yes, sugar is a carb. So while you can't go hog wild on sugar
or any other carbs, you can occasionally work it into your diet if you want
it.

> Now here's the crunch, I also have a very unusual and fairly rare problem
> called Atopic Fresh Fruit Syndrome. - This means I'm pretty much allergic

> most fruits, salads and vegetables. To make matters worse, I don't really
> like anything with strong flavours like onions, peppers, garlic etc.

Fruit is not necessarily good for a diabetic to eat. It's high in carbs and
fast acting ones at that. If you're unable to eat veggies though, there
will be a problem. It is low carb veggies that make up the bulk of most of
our diets. I should also add that there is no one diet that we all follow.

> Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Hard to tell you what to do since your diet seems so limited. Have you seen
a dietician? An Endocrinologist? I'd start there.

--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

Alan

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 19:44:27 +0000 (UTC), "Matt Harwood"
> wrote:

>Hi, I'm new to this list. I've just had a quick browse through some of your
>
>I've recently been diagnosed with Diabetes. At the moment, my doctors are
>trying to control it with different tablets, but it seems to be failing. I
>believe I am going to be put on insulin on my next appointment.
>
>To me, this is totally devastating. I can't stand the thought of needled,
>(self confessed coward), and my diet is about as incompatible with diabetes
>as can possibly be... Hence why I'm here.
>
>Can any of you recommend some kind of regular foods that I can try.
>Obviously, I've been told to lay off anything with a sugar content, (within
>reason), and that I should try to cut out fatty foods. (I've been told that
>diabetics are far more at risk from heart disease).
>Now here's the crunch, I also have a very unusual and fairly rare problem
>called Atopic Fresh Fruit Syndrome. - This means I'm pretty much allergic to
>most fruits, salads and vegetables. To make matters worse, I don't really
>like anything with strong flavours like onions, peppers, garlic etc.
>
>Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Matt

Hi Matt
You got some good replies. I'd particularly recommend Jennifer's advice.
Are you still lurking here, or maybe alt.support.diabetes?
Just wondering.

Cheers Alan, T2, Oz.
dx May 2002 , A1C 5.8, no meds, diet and not enough exercise.
I have no medical qualifications beyond my own experience.
Choose your advisers carefully, because experience can be
an expensive teacher.