FoodBanter.com

-   -   Question concerning lower-carb ideas (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/13885-question-concerning-lower-carb.html)

eriana 14-01-2004 05:40 PM

Question concerning lower-carb ideas

Howdy!

I need some ideas on breakfasty items I can make my husband to take with him
every morning. He is currently a US Marine. and he has to perform physical
training three mornings during the week, so it has to be something that he
can take with him to eat later. He doesn't really have access to a
microwave, so something that will get cold isn't a good idea... also, he
isn't really a breakfast eater, so I have to come up with something really
tasty. It has to be portable, obviously, so that he can consume it after
his PT but before he reports for work.

Neither of us is doing "no-carb" or anything; we're just both trying to lose
some weight and are watching our carbs. Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks! :)
~Eri

Jennifer 14-01-2004 07:06 PM

Question concerning lower-carb ideas

Portable breakfast ideas are easier now that low carb is becoming
mainstream.

There are many tasty low carb bars now...

He could also take a baggie of nuts.
Hard boiled eggs.
Beef jerky
String cheese.
There are Atkins bake mixes to make muffins.

BTW... no one does "no carb'.

Jennifer

Siobhan Perricone 15-01-2004 11:50 AM

Question concerning lower-carb ideas

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 11:06:52 -0800, Jennifer >
wrote:

>Portable breakfast ideas are easier now that low carb is becoming
>mainstream.
>
>There are many tasty low carb bars now...
>
>He could also take a baggie of nuts.
>Hard boiled eggs.
>Beef jerky
>String cheese.
>There are Atkins bake mixes to make muffins.

I eat sugar free jello (premade packages, we buy them in bulk from Costco,
it's a little costly, but worth it). Though, I have an office job, and that
might not be hearty enough for after PT.

--
Siobhan Perricone
The actions taken by the New Hampshire Episcopalians are an affront to

Julie Bove 16-01-2004 02:07 PM

Question concerning lower-carb ideas

"eriana" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> Howdy!
>
> I need some ideas on breakfasty items I can make my husband to take with

him
> every morning. He is currently a US Marine. and he has to perform

physical
> training three mornings during the week, so it has to be something that he
> can take with him to eat later. He doesn't really have access to a
> microwave, so something that will get cold isn't a good idea... also, he
> isn't really a breakfast eater, so I have to come up with something really
> tasty. It has to be portable, obviously, so that he can consume it after
> his PT but before he reports for work.
>
> Neither of us is doing "no-carb" or anything; we're just both trying to

lose
> some weight and are watching our carbs. Anyone have suggestions?

Just curious as to why he would be eating it later. It's best to eat soon
after we get up to avoid a liver dump and subsequent higher BG. And if he
is doing the physical training, then eating later that will only make it
worse!

--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

Julie Bove 16-01-2004 02:08 PM

Question concerning lower-carb ideas

"Jennifer" > wrote in message

<snip>

> BTW... no one does "no carb'.

You're right, but "Bob" says he does. *L*

eriana 17-01-2004 08:56 AM

Question concerning lower-carb ideas

> Just curious as to why he would be eating it later. It's best to eat soon
> after we get up to avoid a liver dump and subsequent higher BG. And if he
> is doing the physical training, then eating later that will only make it
> worse!

For a few reasons, actually.

1. He is NOT a morning person, and getting up at 4:45AM does NOT make him
happy as it is. He, like me, cannot "leap out of bed to greet the morning"
and eat right away; he has to wake up for a while first.

2. He doesn't want to throw up. :) They often do some really strenuous
stuff, and his command specifically tells them not to eat first.

3. If he exercises first and eats after, he feels better than if he did it
the other way around.

4. Eating after exercise gives him a little something to look forward
to...and he won't be "starving" by lunchtime -- because PT can take up to 2
hours, meaning that if he eats before he goes to PT, he won't have anything
else to eat for another 5 hours or so...and for him, not eating after all
that stress/strenuous activity makes him feel sick.

~Eri

Siobhan Perricone 17-01-2004 03:15 PM

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 08:56:10 GMT, "eriana" > wrote:

>For a few reasons, actually.
>
>1. He is NOT a morning person, and getting up at 4:45AM does NOT make him
>happy as it is. He, like me, cannot "leap out of bed to greet the morning"
>and eat right away; he has to wake up for a while first.
>
>2. He doesn't want to throw up. :) They often do some really strenuous
>stuff, and his command specifically tells them not to eat first.

Well, they also probably aren't used to the specific problems this could
cause for diabetics.

>3. If he exercises first and eats after, he feels better than if he did it
>the other way around.
>
>4. Eating after exercise gives him a little something to look forward
>to...and he won't be "starving" by lunchtime -- because PT can take up to 2
>hours, meaning that if he eats before he goes to PT, he won't have anything
>else to eat for another 5 hours or so...and for him, not eating after all
>that stress/strenuous activity makes him feel sick.

One question I have is, when he gets up, what is his BG? What is his BG
when he tests before eating his breakfast after his exercise?

If he's not doing those two tests, he's not going to get an accurate
picture of 1) when he should be having at least a little something in this
stomach to fend off the liver dump and 2) what this pattern could be doing
to his body.

Also, until you know what those numbers are, it's difficult for people to
help recommend what the best things to consume are. He may actually need
something with a little higher carbs in the morning *because* he's doing
the exercise. But you can't know this unless you have a pattern of testing
to figure it out. There's no reason to guess when he can just test and
find out. :)

If his BG when he first wakes up is above 130, then he needs to do
something about this, try something new to work it out. If it's between 120
and 130 then that's not great, but it's tolerable. If it's consistently
under 120, then what he's doing is working for him. If it's high after
exercise (pretty much anything over 120 after strenuous exercise) then he's
getting a liver dump because his stomach is empty and he should have
*something* when he wakes up to fend that off.

In such a situation, one thing he might try is something very light and
small, like one of those cups of sugar free jello. It's light on the
stomach, shouldn't interfere with PT or cause vomiting, and it might be
enough in his body to prevent a liver dump. If not, then he needs some
carbs first thing. It doesn't have to be heavy. Just no sugar added little
cups of fruit cocktail, right when he wakes up, will give his body a little
carb boost that should prevent the liver dump.

But the real thing here is to figure out first if he's having any morning
spikes at all, because people can be in control all day long, but first
thing in the morning they can be all out of whack, and that's still not
good. Anyway, hope this is helpful.

eriana 17-01-2004 08:51 PM

Question concerning lower-carb ideas

Whups!

He isn't diabetic; I am. He couldn't be in the military if he was diabetic.

I'm looking for lower-carb ideas for us both; for me because of my diabetes,
and for him because he is trying to lose some weight.

Sorry about the confusion!

~Eri

Julie Bove 18-01-2004 03:32 AM

Question concerning lower-carb ideas

"eriana" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Whups!
>
> He isn't diabetic; I am. He couldn't be in the military if he was

diabetic.

Ah! Well, that's what confused me. Actually, there are some diabetics in
the military. My husband is in the Coast Guard and he works with or has
worked with some. I know you can't get in if you have diabetes, but if you
get diabetes while in, you can stay in, in some, but not all cases.

> I'm looking for lower-carb ideas for us both; for me because of my

diabetes,
> and for him because he is trying to lose some weight.
>
> Sorry about the confusion!

Can't really help you there since I don't do low carb.

Lisa Villani 03-02-2004 04:37 PM

Question concerning lower-carb ideas

how about an Atkins breakfast bar or atkins advantage bar both have reduced
carbs. Also Glucerna has a bar and drinks in cans that can be eaten on the
go that are tasty. CVS carries some stuff for diabetics if you reside in
the US. Good Luck
lisa
nk.net...