FoodBanter.com

-   -   Fish Recipes (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/13871-fish-recipes.html)

Willy Skass 02-01-2004 06:13 AM

Fish Recipes

Does anyone have any "diabetic-friendly" (I'm a T2) recipes for bass,
catfish, or trout fillets? I've got to start cleaning out my freezer,
and the majority of the recipes I have are not "d-f". I'm particularly
interested in trout, got a lot of rainbow fillets.

Any info greatly appreciated.

TIA

Siobhan Perricone 02-01-2004 02:09 PM

Fish Recipes

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 00:13:30 -0600, Willy Skass > wrote:

>Does anyone have any "diabetic-friendly" (I'm a T2) recipes for bass,
>catfish, or trout fillets? I've got to start cleaning out my freezer,
>and the majority of the recipes I have are not "d-f". I'm particularly
>interested in trout, got a lot of rainbow fillets.
>
>Any info greatly appreciated.

What's the range of grams of carbs per serving you're shooting for here?
"Diabetic friendly" isn't wholly descriptive because different diabetics
react differently to different amounts and types of carbs. :)

--
Siobhan Perricone
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or

You have a choice: www.deanforamerica.com
Feel free to contact me about him, he was my governor and "boss" for 10 years.

"If the percent of minorities in your state has anything to do with how you
can connect with African American voters, then Trent Lott would be Martin
Luther King, Jr." - Howard Dean

Lee Cooper 02-01-2004 02:34 PM

Fish Recipes

Wrap in aluminum foil add onions lemon juice and a little "fake" butter,
toss on the grill and let 'er rip.

Priscilla Ballou 02-01-2004 03:59 PM

Fish Recipes

In article >,
Willy Skass > wrote:

> Does anyone have any "diabetic-friendly" (I'm a T2) recipes for bass,
> catfish, or trout fillets? I've got to start cleaning out my freezer,
> and the majority of the recipes I have are not "d-f". I'm particularly
> interested in trout, got a lot of rainbow fillets.
>
> Any info greatly appreciated.

I toss trout filets in a little seasoned flour, then panfry them quickly
in canola oil and serve them with fresh lemon wedges and a nice green
veg or salad. There's not enough flour that clings to them to spike me,
and it makes for a nice crispy skin.

Catfish I like to oven-fry. Again, dredge in seasoned flour and shake
off. Put in a greased pan with dobs of butter on top of the fish in a
350 F oven for about 20-25 minutes. Again, a green veg or salad.

I haven't cooked bass much. Is this lake-caught bass which is really
bony or sea bass? If it's a thicker white fish, I might try putting it
in a greased oven dish and putting some salsa on top (homemade if you
have the ingredients, else from a jar), then baking at 350 F for 20-25
minutes or until it flakes to the fork. I might serve a nice yellow
summer squash sauteed in a little olive oil with that.

Priscilla, t2 diabetic, diet and metformin, last A1c 5.2

Priscilla Ballou 02-01-2004 04:34 PM

Fish Recipes

In article >,
Priscilla Ballou > wrote:

> Catfish I like to oven-fry. Again, dredge in seasoned flour and shake
> off. Put in a greased pan with dobs of butter on top of the fish in a
> 350 F oven for about 20-25 minutes. Again, a green veg or salad.

Sorry... that's an error. Baking hake or pollock or cod would call for
dobs of butter. The oven-fried catfish is sprayed with canola oil
before going in the oven.

Priscilla

Janet Wilder 03-01-2004 12:27 AM

Fish Recipes

I'm really a lurker, but here's a good sauce for most any pan fried mild fish:

Veracruz Sauce
1 onion -- chopped
3 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic -- minced
2 small serrano chiles -- seeded and minced
1 24 oz can tomatoes with juice
1/4 cup pimento-stuffed green olives -- sliced
2 tbsp lime juice
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp sugar (Splenda's okay but for so smallo an amount I
don't bother)
pinch cinnamon
pinch ground cloves

Saute the onion in olive oil over medium-high heat until soft and transparent,
about 8 minutes. Add garlic and chiles. Cook for an additional minute to
release the flavors. Meanwhile whirl tomatoes with juice in a food processor
until pureed but slightly lumpy. Add the tomatoes, olives, lime juice, 1 tsp
salt, sugar, cinnamon and cloves to the sauce and simmer for 10 minutes.

1/4 of this recipe has about 5 grams of carbs. Hubby's dietician permits
unlimited tomato. YMMV.
Janet Wilder
Caring for and loving my T2 (diagnosed in 1981).

The Road Princess
Residentially Challenged
Spelling and punctuation is up to my editors. I take no responsibility

Willy Skass 03-01-2004 03:34 AM

Fish Recipes

Thanks to all who provided recipes/ideas. Will try them, as they all
look good.