Al Hardy

Default Ginger biccie recipe for RK

RK wrote:
> lol. ok i give! what the hell is a ginger biccie?

The home made ones are the best, here is Aunt Arabella`s recipe.

Ingredients
4 oz self-raising flour
1 level teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/4 level teaspoon salt
1 level teaspoon finely ground ginger
1 level teaspoon mixed spice
1 1/2 oz ground rice
2 oz butter butter
2 oz caster sugar
4 oz golden syrup

Method

Preheat the oven to 190cC ( 375F, gas mark 5)
Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt, ginger and spice into a bowl.
Stir in the rice, rub in the butter, and mix in the sugar (in that order)
Warm the syrup until it is just runny, stir it in.
Knead lightly in the bowl to make a smooth dough.
Shape into round balls, equal-sized, 24 in all.
Space well apart on greased baking sheets.
Bake in the middle of the oven in batches for 10-12 minutes until they are
golden.
Cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes, then finish cooling on a wire rack.

I have no idea of the nutritional content/breakdown, neither do I care lol
Like the pop-song of yesteryear

Never give gone them up
No matter what the meter says, girl

Enjoy, my friend, just two. Hubby and daughter will soon finish off the rest
;-) My girls are so loving they help Pa`s bg by not leaving me any unless I
am quick off the mark lol
--
Al.
Idiopathic t1

Charlie Owens

"Al Hardy" > wrote in message
> RK wrote:
> > lol. ok i give! what the hell is a ginger biccie?
> >

> The home made ones are the best, here is Aunt Arabella`s recipe.
>
> Ingredients
> 4 oz self-raising flour
> 1 level teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
> 1/4 level teaspoon salt
> 1 level teaspoon finely ground ginger
> 1 level teaspoon mixed spice
> 1 1/2 oz ground rice
> 2 oz butter butter
> 2 oz caster sugar
> 4 oz golden syrup
>
> Method
>
> Preheat the oven to 190cC ( 375F, gas mark 5)
> Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt, ginger and spice into a bowl.
> Stir in the rice, rub in the butter, and mix in the sugar (in that order)
> Warm the syrup until it is just runny, stir it in.
> Knead lightly in the bowl to make a smooth dough.
> Shape into round balls, equal-sized, 24 in all.
> Space well apart on greased baking sheets.
> Bake in the middle of the oven in batches for 10-12 minutes until they are
> golden.
> Cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes, then finish cooling on a wire

rack.

> I have no idea of the nutritional content/breakdown, neither do I care lol
> Like the pop-song of yesteryear
>
> Never give gone them up
> No matter what the meter says, girl
>
> Enjoy, my friend, just two. Hubby and daughter will soon finish off the

rest
> ;-) My girls are so loving they help Pa`s bg by not leaving me any unless

> am quick off the mark lol
> --
> Al.
> Idiopathic t1
> Last HbA1c 5.95
> Total Chol 2.7
> Blood Pressure 108/73 resting pulse rate 74
> Beef Lente 1x 26U
> Beef Neutral 2x 4U to 10U as required

I was hoping it was a good, new, exotic drink for New Years !

Charlie

Al Hardy

RK wrote:

> "Al Hardy" > wrote in message
>> RK wrote:
>>> lol. ok i give! what the hell is a ginger biccie?
>>>

>> The home made ones are the best, here is Aunt Arabella`s recipe.
>>
>> Ingredients
>> 4 oz self-raising flour
>> 1 level teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
>> 1/4 level teaspoon salt
>> 1 level teaspoon finely ground ginger
>> 1 level teaspoon mixed spice
>> 1 1/2 oz ground rice
>> 2 oz butter butter
>> 2 oz caster sugar
>> 4 oz golden syrup
>>
>> Method
>>
>> Preheat the oven to 190cC ( 375F, gas mark 5)
>> Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt, ginger and spice into a
>> bowl. Stir in the rice, rub in the butter, and mix in the sugar (in
>> that order) Warm the syrup until it is just runny, stir it in.
>> Knead lightly in the bowl to make a smooth dough.
>> Shape into round balls, equal-sized, 24 in all.
>> Space well apart on greased baking sheets.
>> Bake in the middle of the oven in batches for 10-12 minutes until
>> they are golden.
>> Cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes, then finish cooling on a
>> wire rack.
>>
>> I have no idea of the nutritional content/breakdown, neither do I
>> care lol Like the pop-song of yesteryear
>>
>> Never give gone them up
>> No matter what the meter says, girl
>>
>> Enjoy, my friend, just two. Hubby and daughter will soon finish off
>> the rest ;-) My girls are so loving they help Pa`s bg by not leaving
>> me any unless I am quick off the mark lol

> Sounds quite like something I've never had before, definately going
> to have to give them a try. Couple questions though.
>
> bicarbonate of soda, I presume is american termed "Baking Soda"?

Correct.

> and just how do I ground the rice?

I do it in a blender, just 3 to 4 seconds is sufficient.

> and what type of rice?

Basmati is good

> caster sugar?

Same as you would use for baking a sponge cake, not sure of the American
equivalent name.

> I'll assume golden syrup is the american Karo Corn Syrup. LOL

Yes, I think so.

> now
> to find the certain items and buy me a food scale.
>
> RK

There is a program that Kate has got, called Master Chef or something like
it. That would give you the breakdown, but since there are 24 biscuits from
the above ingredients, and I would recommend just 2 for you (it`s what I
eat) I don`t think there is much of a worry, perhaps 2U of bolus, maybe only
1U. Or a brisk walk?
--
Al.
Idiopathic t1
Beef Lente 1x 26U
Beef Neutral 2x 4U to 10U as required

Maggie Davey

RK wrote:

> Sounds quite like something I've never had before, definately going
> to have to give them a try. Couple questions though.
>
> bicarbonate of soda, I presume is american termed "Baking Soda"?
> and just how do I ground the rice? and what type of rice? caster sugar?
> I'll assume golden syrup is the american Karo Corn Syrup. LOL now
> to find the certain items and buy me a food scale.

Bicarb = baking soda - *not* baking powder.

Karo syrup and golden syrup aren't the same thing, but as near as you'll
get, I think, on your side of the pond.

The following page gives conversions of some systems of measurements and
substitutions of various things like flours, fats, leavening agents,
etc:

http://worldwiderecipes.com/convert.htm

[As yank transplanted to UK, I've had to learn to "speak british"
cookery!]

Maggie

--
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and
cats." -- Albert Schweitzer

Maggie Davey

Maggie Davey wrote:

> RK wrote:
>
> > Sounds quite like something I've never had before, definately going
> > to have to give them a try. Couple questions though.
> >
> > bicarbonate of soda, I presume is american termed "Baking Soda"?
> > and just how do I ground the rice? and what type of rice? caster sugar?
> > I'll assume golden syrup is the american Karo Corn Syrup. LOL now
> > to find the certain items and buy me a food scale.

> Bicarb = baking soda - *not* baking powder.
>
> Karo syrup and golden syrup aren't the same thing, but as near as you'll
> get, I think, on your side of the pond.
>
> The following page gives conversions of some systems of measurements and
> substitutions of various things like flours, fats, leavening agents,
> etc:
>
> http://worldwiderecipes.com/convert.htm
>
> [As yank transplanted to UK, I've had to learn to "speak british"
> cookery!]

Oh, and caster sugar is called "superfine" in the US, about half way
between granulated and confectioner's [= icing = powdered]. See:
http://food.epicurious.com/run/foodd...entry_id=10061

Maggie

--
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and
cats." -- Albert Schweitzer

RK

--
RK - t1
In tribute to the United States of America and the State

"Al Hardy" > wrote in message
> RK wrote:
> > lol. ok i give! what the hell is a ginger biccie?
> >

> The home made ones are the best, here is Aunt Arabella`s recipe.
>
> Ingredients
> 4 oz self-raising flour
> 1 level teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
> 1/4 level teaspoon salt
> 1 level teaspoon finely ground ginger
> 1 level teaspoon mixed spice
> 1 1/2 oz ground rice
> 2 oz butter butter
> 2 oz caster sugar
> 4 oz golden syrup
>
> Method
>
> Preheat the oven to 190cC ( 375F, gas mark 5)
> Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt, ginger and spice into a bowl.
> Stir in the rice, rub in the butter, and mix in the sugar (in that order)
> Warm the syrup until it is just runny, stir it in.
> Knead lightly in the bowl to make a smooth dough.
> Shape into round balls, equal-sized, 24 in all.
> Space well apart on greased baking sheets.
> Bake in the middle of the oven in batches for 10-12 minutes until they are
> golden.
> Cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes, then finish cooling on a wire

rack.

> I have no idea of the nutritional content/breakdown, neither do I care lol
> Like the pop-song of yesteryear
>
> Never give gone them up
> No matter what the meter says, girl
>
> Enjoy, my friend, just two. Hubby and daughter will soon finish off the

rest
> ;-) My girls are so loving they help Pa`s bg by not leaving me any unless

> am quick off the mark lol
> --
> Al.
> Idiopathic t1
> Last HbA1c 5.95
> Total Chol 2.7
> Blood Pressure 108/73 resting pulse rate 74
> Beef Lente 1x 26U
> Beef Neutral 2x 4U to 10U as required

Sounds quite like something I've never had before, definately going
to have to give them a try. Couple questions though.

bicarbonate of soda, I presume is american termed "Baking Soda"?
and just how do I ground the rice? and what type of rice? caster sugar?
I'll assume golden syrup is the american Karo Corn Syrup. LOL now
to find the certain items and buy me a food scale.

RK

Tiger Lily

caster sugar is a finer than regular sugar
we call it berry sugar on this side of the pond

"Al Hardy" > wrote in message
> RK wrote:

> >> The home made ones are the best, here is Aunt Arabella`s recipe.
> >>
> >> Ingredients
> >> 4 oz self-raising flour
> >> 1 level teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
> >> 1/4 level teaspoon salt
> >> 1 level teaspoon finely ground ginger
> >> 1 level teaspoon mixed spice
> >> 1 1/2 oz ground rice
> >> 2 oz butter butter
> >> 2 oz caster sugar
> >> 4 oz golden syrup
> >>
> >> Method
> >>
> >> Preheat the oven to 190cC ( 375F, gas mark 5)
> >> Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt, ginger and spice into a
> >> bowl. Stir in the rice, rub in the butter, and mix in the sugar (in
> >> that order) Warm the syrup until it is just runny, stir it in.
> >> Knead lightly in the bowl to make a smooth dough.
> >> Shape into round balls, equal-sized, 24 in all.
> >> Space well apart on greased baking sheets.
> >> Bake in the middle of the oven in batches for 10-12 minutes until
> >> they are golden.
> >> Cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes, then finish cooling on a
> >> wire rack.
> >>
> >> I have no idea of the nutritional content/breakdown, neither do I
> >> care lol Like the pop-song of yesteryear
> >>
> >> Never give gone them up
> >> No matter what the meter says, girl
> >>
> >> Enjoy, my friend, just two. Hubby and daughter will soon finish off
> >> the rest ;-) My girls are so loving they help Pa`s bg by not leaving
> >> me any unless I am quick off the mark lol

> > Sounds quite like something I've never had before, definately going
> > to have to give them a try. Couple questions though.
> >
> > bicarbonate of soda, I presume is american termed "Baking Soda"?

> Correct.
>
> > and just how do I ground the rice?

> I do it in a blender, just 3 to 4 seconds is sufficient.
>
> > and what type of rice?

> Basmati is good
>
> > caster sugar?

> Same as you would use for baking a sponge cake, not sure of the American
> equivalent name.
>
> > I'll assume golden syrup is the american Karo Corn Syrup. LOL

> Yes, I think so.
>
> > now
> > to find the certain items and buy me a food scale.
> >
> > RK

> There is a program that Kate has got, called Master Chef or something like
> it. That would give you the breakdown, but since there are 24 biscuits

from
> the above ingredients, and I would recommend just 2 for you (it`s what I
> eat) I don`t think there is much of a worry, perhaps 2U of bolus, maybe

only
> 1U. Or a brisk walk?
> --
> Al.
> Idiopathic t1
> Last HbA1c 5.95
> Total Chol 2.7
> Blood Pressure 111/72 resting pulse rate 74
> Beef Lente 1x 26U
> Beef Neutral 2x 4U to 10U as required

RK

"Or a brisk walk?"

OMG how could you speak such foul words to me :-)

thanks for the other info.. hitting the store tomorrow
think I might make um for New Years Eve. give hubby
a british treat ..

--

"Al Hardy" > wrote in message
> RK wrote:

> >> The home made ones are the best, here is Aunt Arabella`s recipe.
> >>
> >> Ingredients
> >> 4 oz self-raising flour
> >> 1 level teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
> >> 1/4 level teaspoon salt
> >> 1 level teaspoon finely ground ginger
> >> 1 level teaspoon mixed spice
> >> 1 1/2 oz ground rice
> >> 2 oz butter butter
> >> 2 oz caster sugar
> >> 4 oz golden syrup
> >>
> >> Method
> >>
> >> Preheat the oven to 190cC ( 375F, gas mark 5)
> >> Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt, ginger and spice into a
> >> bowl. Stir in the rice, rub in the butter, and mix in the sugar (in
> >> that order) Warm the syrup until it is just runny, stir it in.
> >> Knead lightly in the bowl to make a smooth dough.
> >> Shape into round balls, equal-sized, 24 in all.
> >> Space well apart on greased baking sheets.
> >> Bake in the middle of the oven in batches for 10-12 minutes until
> >> they are golden.
> >> Cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes, then finish cooling on a
> >> wire rack.
> >>
> >> I have no idea of the nutritional content/breakdown, neither do I
> >> care lol Like the pop-song of yesteryear
> >>
> >> Never give gone them up
> >> No matter what the meter says, girl
> >>
> >> Enjoy, my friend, just two. Hubby and daughter will soon finish off
> >> the rest ;-) My girls are so loving they help Pa`s bg by not leaving
> >> me any unless I am quick off the mark lol

> > Sounds quite like something I've never had before, definately going
> > to have to give them a try. Couple questions though.
> >
> > bicarbonate of soda, I presume is american termed "Baking Soda"?

> Correct.
>
> > and just how do I ground the rice?

> I do it in a blender, just 3 to 4 seconds is sufficient.
>
> > and what type of rice?

> Basmati is good
>
> > caster sugar?

> Same as you would use for baking a sponge cake, not sure of the American
> equivalent name.
>
> > I'll assume golden syrup is the american Karo Corn Syrup. LOL

> Yes, I think so.
>
> > now
> > to find the certain items and buy me a food scale.
> >
> > RK

> There is a program that Kate has got, called Master Chef or something like
> it. That would give you the breakdown, but since there are 24 biscuits

from
> the above ingredients, and I would recommend just 2 for you (it`s what I
> eat) I don`t think there is much of a worry, perhaps 2U of bolus, maybe

only
> 1U. Or a brisk walk?
> --
> Al.
> Idiopathic t1
> Last HbA1c 5.95
> Total Chol 2.7
> Blood Pressure 111/72 resting pulse rate 74
> Beef Lente 1x 26U
> Beef Neutral 2x 4U to 10U as required

RK

ahhh ok... i've used that before when making icing for cinnimon rolls.

--

"Maggie Davey" > wrote in message
> Maggie Davey wrote:
>
> > RK wrote:
> >
> > > Sounds quite like something I've never had before, definately going
> > > to have to give them a try. Couple questions though.
> > >
> > > bicarbonate of soda, I presume is american termed "Baking Soda"?
> > > and just how do I ground the rice? and what type of rice? caster

sugar?
> > > I'll assume golden syrup is the american Karo Corn Syrup. LOL now
> > > to find the certain items and buy me a food scale.

> > Bicarb = baking soda - *not* baking powder.
> >
> > Karo syrup and golden syrup aren't the same thing, but as near as you'll
> > get, I think, on your side of the pond.
> >
> > The following page gives conversions of some systems of measurements and
> > substitutions of various things like flours, fats, leavening agents,
> > etc:
> >
> > http://worldwiderecipes.com/convert.htm
> >
> > [As yank transplanted to UK, I've had to learn to "speak british"
> > cookery!]

> Oh, and caster sugar is called "superfine" in the US, about half way
> between granulated and confectioner's [= icing = powdered]. See:
> http://food.epicurious.com/run/foodd...entry_id=10061
>
> Maggie
>

> --
> "There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and
> cats." -- Albert Schweitzer

Annette

"RK" > wrote in message

> Sounds quite like something I've never had before, definately

going
> to have to give them a try. Couple questions though.
>
> bicarbonate of soda, I presume is american termed "Baking Soda"?

No, it isn't. Bicarbonate of soda is just that. It's an alkaline
compound that reacts with acids to produce carbon dioxide and thus
facilitate rising of the baked goods. "Baking soda" is a precisely
measured mixture of both acids and alkalines in a dry powder, that
will react to give the same result in the presence of water and
heat. Most "self-raising" flour contains baking soda or (baking
powder as it is called here).

> and just how do I ground the rice?

It is often available as a flour in supermarkets or asian food
supply stores. You could grind it in a food processor, but the
result may be a little "grainy".

and what type of rice?

I don't think it would matter.

caster sugar?

Caster sugar is also available in most supermarkets in the cooking
supplies section. You can also grind normal sugar to achieve the
same result. But measure the amount required AFTER grinding.

> I'll assume golden syrup is the american Karo Corn Syrup.

Noooo. It is a by-product of sugar made from sugar cane. Sort of
like liquid raw sugar. It contains a small percentage of molasses,
and is acidic. It is often used with the above mentioned
bicarbonate of soda instead of baking soda. Whether the Karo Corn
Syrup would make a good substitute or not is unknown to me.

LOL now
> to find the certain items and buy me a food scale.

Best of luck. The whole recipe sounds to me like it came from
Australia. All the ingredients are easily obtainable here.

You may have to experiment. If you like the result it may never
matter if it is just like the Ozzie one or not.
Even when all the ingredients are correct and identical, different
cooks still seem to produce different results for any recipe anyway.
And who's to know or compare?

Have fun.

Annette
"We all get heavier as we get older because there's a lot more
information in our heads."
-- Vlade Divac, NBA basketball player

---

Julie Bove

"Annette" > wrote in message

> "RK" > wrote in message
> > --
> >
> > Sounds quite like something I've never had before, definately

> going
> > to have to give them a try. Couple questions though.
> >
> > bicarbonate of soda, I presume is american termed "Baking Soda"?

> No, it isn't. Bicarbonate of soda is just that. It's an alkaline
> compound that reacts with acids to produce carbon dioxide and thus
> facilitate rising of the baked goods. "Baking soda" is a precisely
> measured mixture of both acids and alkalines in a dry powder, that
> will react to give the same result in the presence of water and
> heat. Most "self-raising" flour contains baking soda or (baking
> powder as it is called here).

Here in the US, we have baking soda and baking powder. This link will tell
you more than you probably want to know about the differences.

http://users.rcn.com/sue.interport/food/bakgsoda.html

> > and just how do I ground the rice?

> It is often available as a flour in supermarkets or asian food
> supply stores. You could grind it in a food processor, but the
> result may be a little "grainy".
>
> and what type of rice?
>
> I don't think it would matter.
>
> caster sugar?
>
> Caster sugar is also available in most supermarkets in the cooking
> supplies section. You can also grind normal sugar to achieve the
> same result. But measure the amount required AFTER grinding.

We do not have anything in this country called "Caster sugar" unless you
have a store that sells imported items. It is not located in the baking
aisle.

> > I'll assume golden syrup is the american Karo Corn Syrup.

> Noooo. It is a by-product of sugar made from sugar cane. Sort of
> like liquid raw sugar. It contains a small percentage of molasses,
> and is acidic. It is often used with the above mentioned
> bicarbonate of soda instead of baking soda. Whether the Karo Corn
> Syrup would make a good substitute or not is unknown to me.

We do have a dark corn syrup here. Not sure if that would work or not.

> LOL now
> > to find the certain items and buy me a food scale.
> >

> Best of luck. The whole recipe sounds to me like it came from
> Australia. All the ingredients are easily obtainable here.
>
> You may have to experiment. If you like the result it may never
> matter if it is just like the Ozzie one or not.
> Even when all the ingredients are correct and identical, different
> cooks still seem to produce different results for any recipe anyway.
> And who's to know or compare?

<snip>

I collect cookbooks. I just hate it when I get a foreign cookbook with a
recipe that sounds good, but I have no idea where to find the ingredients or
how to measure them.

--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

JCG

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> > caster sugar?
> >
> > Caster sugar is also available in most supermarkets in the cooking
> > supplies section. You can also grind normal sugar to achieve the
> > same result. But measure the amount required AFTER grinding.

> We do not have anything in this country called "Caster sugar" unless you
> have a store that sells imported items. It is not located in the baking
> aisle.

I believe caster sugar is the same as superfine sugar, which comes in a
small one pound box with a pour spout. Super fine sugar is granulated into
much finer crystals than normal granulated sugar. Domino makes it and you
can find it with the baking supplies.

Judy

Jette Goldie

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Annette" > wrote in message

> > No, it isn't. Bicarbonate of soda is just that. It's an alkaline
> > compound that reacts with acids to produce carbon dioxide and thus
> > facilitate rising of the baked goods. "Baking soda" is a precisely
> > measured mixture of both acids and alkalines in a dry powder, that
> > will react to give the same result in the presence of water and
> > heat. Most "self-raising" flour contains baking soda or (baking
> > powder as it is called here).

> Here in the US, we have baking soda and baking powder.

here in the UK we do too.

--
Jette
"Work for Peace and remain Fiercely Loving" - Jim Byrnes

http://www.jette.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/