FoodBanter.com

-   -   Diabetic testing watch? (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/13859-diabetic-testing-watch.html)

Wm K Cross 22-12-2003 04:26 AM

Diabetic testing watch?

I just watched the movie "Panic Room" w/ Jodie Foster.
Her daughter was apparently diabetic and wore a watch that gave her glucose
level. Pretty neat idea. Is there really something like this on the market? Or
is this Hollywood hype?

AOL has been screwing up my newsgroups as of late so I would appreciate a
private e-mail at

Remove the NOSPAM
Thanks
Bill

Julie Bove 22-12-2003 06:07 AM

Diabetic testing watch?

"Wm K Cross" > wrote in message
> I just watched the movie "Panic Room" w/ Jodie Foster.
> Her daughter was apparently diabetic and wore a watch that gave her

glucose
> level. Pretty neat idea. Is there really something like this on the

market? Or
> is this Hollywood hype?

That would be the Glucowatch. It was made, but I think the company went out
of business. Alas, it simply never worked very well and in fact did not
replace finger sticks but was to be used in conjunction with them. It was
also very expensive, not only to buy, but to keep up.

--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

John Decker 22-12-2003 06:09 AM

Diabetic testing watch?

In article >, Wm K Cross says...

>I just watched the movie "Panic Room" w/ Jodie Foster.
>Her daughter was apparently diabetic and wore a watch that gave her glucose
>level. Pretty neat idea. Is there really something like this on the market? Or
>is this Hollywood hype?
>
>AOL has been screwing up my newsgroups as of late so I would appreciate a
>private e-mail at

There is such a wris****ch but it has limitations and caveats:

http://diabetes.about.com/gi/dynamic...watch.com%2 F

http://diabetes.about.com/gi/dynamic...2Fp990026.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/761958.stm

http://www.howstuffworks.com/news-item133.htm

http://www.mercola.com/2001/mar/31/blood_glucose.htm

John Decker

eriana 14-01-2004 06:34 PM

Diabetic testing watch?

Yup, it exists...but as the previous posts mention, it is VERY expensive,
and has to be used in conjunction with regular fingersticks -- not instead
of. My own case manager was trying to get me one, but we researched it &
found out it was rather pointless for me. If you have real problems with
frequent highs or lows, it *might* be helpful...but I think it is too
cost-prohibitive & maintenance-intensive.

~Eri