happycabbage

Default Diabetes help....!

I am considering making my Grandparents some sort of chocolate-y desert for
Christmas this year. And my Granddad is a diabetic. And me, being
hypoglycemic, know nothing about it! I am pretty good at making recipes more
to my liking and figure I can get away, somehow, with using a sugar
substitute. But what kind should I look for? I see all kinds of substitues,
but dont know which I can use safely. I know that I need to use unsweetened
chocolate as well. So is there anything else I need to know or look out for?
Or is it JUST sugar I need to avoid?

Thanks in advance,

Jessica

t2_lurking

I believe that the most often mentioned replacement sweetener is Splenda
brand. You can buy it at any large grocery store. It says that you can use
it "measure for measure" but I've found that that makes things a little too
sweet. I usually use maybe a 1/4 less than the recipe calls for, or only 75%
per measure.
btw: if you make a flourless chocolate cake ala "Death by Chocolate" you
might be surprised by the relative ability of your Granddad to have some and
not have it affect his BG's too much.

t2_lurking
geabbottATabbottandabbottDOTcom
Do not mail to t2_lurking (auto-delete)
============================
Well, i dreamed i saw the silver
Space ships flying
In the yellow haze of the sun
-- Neil Young --

"happycabbage" > wrote in message
> I am considering making my Grandparents some sort of chocolate-y desert

for
> Christmas this year. And my Granddad is a diabetic. And me, being
> hypoglycemic, know nothing about it! I am pretty good at making recipes

more
> to my liking and figure I can get away, somehow, with using a sugar
> substitute. But what kind should I look for? I see all kinds of

substitues,
> but dont know which I can use safely. I know that I need to use

unsweetened
> chocolate as well. So is there anything else I need to know or look out

for?
> Or is it JUST sugar I need to avoid?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jessica

Peanutjake

"happycabbage" > wrote in message news:rPdCb.247$qv2.234@fe10...
> I am considering making my Grandparents some sort of chocolate-y desert for
> Christmas this year. And my Granddad is a diabetic. And me, being
> hypoglycemic, know nothing about it! I am pretty good at making recipes more
> to my liking and figure I can get away, somehow, with using a sugar
> substitute. But what kind should I look for? I see all kinds of substitues,
> but dont know which I can use safely. I know that I need to use unsweetened
> chocolate as well. So is there anything else I need to know or look out for?
> Or is it JUST sugar I need to avoid?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jessica

Make them a Baked Alaska
Use Bryers Low Carb Ice Cream
egg whites
cream of tarter
splenda

There are 4 carbs in a 1/2 cup serving of the Low Carb ice cream. egg whites, cream of tarter and
Splenda are just about carb free.

Julie Bove

> I am considering making my Grandparents some sort of chocolate-y desert

for
> Christmas this year. And my Granddad is a diabetic. And me, being
> hypoglycemic, know nothing about it! I am pretty good at making recipes

more
> to my liking and figure I can get away, somehow, with using a sugar
> substitute. But what kind should I look for? I see all kinds of

substitues,
> but dont know which I can use safely. I know that I need to use

unsweetened
> chocolate as well. So is there anything else I need to know or look out

for?
> Or is it JUST sugar I need to avoid?

There is no one diet that we diabetics follow. So the first thing you need
to know is what kind of diet your Granddad is on. He might not eat desserts
of any kind. I usually don't.

Most diabetics watch their carb intake. So that means anything with sugar
or flour is probably not a good idea unless it is eaten in very small
portions. Some of us watch our fat intake. I have a recipe for chocolate
cream cheese fudge that uses artificial sweetener, but because of the cream
cheese and nuts it contains, it is high in fat. It also has some carbs.

Meringue cookies are another option, using Splenda instead of sugar. I
don't have a recipe offhand since I don't care for them. Or you could do a
sugar free pudding if he can handle the carbs.

If you have hypoglycemia, you should get to know more about diabetes because
it is thought to be a precursor to type 2. I had hypoglycemia for most of
my life prior to diabetes. And the way a hypoglycemic should eat is much
the same as a diabetic should eat. Although I found that prior to diabetes,
I could eat more carbs than I can now.

--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

Szaki

I usually make Jell-O Sugar free- in different flavors. But there are many
sugar free pudding and mousse, chocolate and coffee flavors. Mousse needs
less milk, only 3/4 cup/4 serving, since milk has lot of sugar . 1 cup of
milk has at least 13 gr sugar in it, (= 2 teaspoon of granular sugar) keep
in mined.
Clear type sugar free Jell-O made with water, has no sugar at all, I top it
with 1 or 2 spoon of whipped cream.
Very tasty and safe for diabetics.

JS

> I am considering making my Grandparents some sort of chocolate-y desert

for
> Christmas this year. And my Granddad is a diabetic. And me, being
> hypoglycemic, know nothing about it! I am pretty good at making recipes

more
> to my liking and figure I can get away, somehow, with using a sugar
> substitute. But what kind should I look for? I see all kinds of

substitues,
> but dont know which I can use safely. I know that I need to use

unsweetened
> chocolate as well. So is there anything else I need to know or look out

for?
> Or is it JUST sugar I need to avoid?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jessica

Jmmbear

Default Low carb milk

In article >, Siobhan Perricone
> writes:

>Anyway, it is certainly more expensive, but it's ultra pasteurized so it
>keeps for much longer than milk, and it tastes good enough. It's made by
>Hood. Hood Carb Countdown Dairy Beverage. They have Whole, 2%, Skim, and
>CHOCOLATE versions. And they're ALL 3 grams of carbs per cup, and no sugar
>alcohols (in the chocolate version).

Sounds great, thanks for the tip..
As always YMMV and this is JMO
Jeanne Type 2 Diagnosed 05/28/02
189/154/120
Szaki

<<Milk doesn't have "a lot" of sugar.>>

Have you looked at the lebal on the the plastic milk container? Hole milk
has 13 gr/cup sugar, that is a lot. 2% milk has 15gr/cup and non-fat milk
has 17gr/cup. Seems, the more stuff they take out of the milk, the more
sugar gets into it. Gee, these cows, how they do it!?
I grabed my kitchen scale, 2 full tea spoon regular granulated sugar
weighted 12 gr. As diabetic, do you put 2 teaspons of sugar in your coffee
or annything?
I don't think so!

JS

Siobhan Perricone

wrote:

>>>Milk doesn't have "a lot" of sugar.
>>>
>>>It has SOME sugar.

>>Well.. carbs anyway.
>>
>>My local Shaws is carrying a low carb milk now. Regular milk has 12 carbs
>>per 8 ounces. This stuff has 3 carbs per 8 ounces! I was sooooo happy
>>to find it, because I can drink milk with my meals again.
>>
>>It's not as good as the best milk, but it's waaaaay better than no milk,
>>and it seems to work in cooking, too, though I've not tried making a
>>pudding with it yet.
>>
>>Anyway, it is certainly more expensive, but it's ultra pasteurized so it
>>keeps for much longer than milk, and it tastes good enough. It's made by
>>Hood. . They have Whole, 2%, Skim, and
>>CHOCOLATE versions. And they're ALL 3 grams of carbs per cup, and no sugar
>>alcohols (in the chocolate version).
>>
>>Ask for it at your grocers! We should reward efforts like this!

>That sounds great! Is "Shaws" the store, or the milk?

Shaws is one of our local supermarket chains. The milk is: Hood Carb
Countdown Dairy Beverage

>What part of the country do you live in?

Vermont.

--
Siobhan Perricone
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or

You have a choice:
www.deanforamerica.com
Feel free to contact me about him, he was my governor and "boss" for 10 years.

"If the percent of minorities in your state has anything to do with how you
can connect with African American voters, then Trent Lott would be Martin
Luther King, Jr." - Howard Dean
Siobhan Perricone

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 12:25:32 GMT, "Szaki" > wrote:

><<Milk doesn't have "a lot" of sugar.>>
>
>Have you looked at the lebal on the the plastic milk container? Hole milk
>has 13 gr/cup sugar, that is a lot. 2% milk has 15gr/cup and non-fat milk
>has 17gr/cup. Seems, the more stuff they take out of the milk, the more
>sugar gets into it. Gee, these cows, how they do it!?
>I grabed my kitchen scale, 2 full tea spoon regular granulated sugar
>weighted 12 gr. As diabetic, do you put 2 teaspons of sugar in your coffee
>or annything?
>I don't think so!

I eat sugar regularly. I just control how much of it, and 12 grams of carbs
isn't really all that much and doesn't do much to my BG levels.

--
Siobhan Perricone
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or
that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only
unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American
public." -- Theodore Roosevelt, 1918

You have a choice: www.deanforamerica.com
Feel free to contact me about him, he was my governor and "boss" for 10 years.

"If the percent of minorities in your state has anything to do with how you
can connect with African American voters, then Trent Lott would be Martin
Luther King, Jr." - Howard Dean
Priscilla Ballou

In article <0ZzHb.499722$275.1407422@attbi_s53>,
"Szaki" > wrote:

> <<Milk doesn't have "a lot" of sugar.>>
>
> Have you looked at the lebal on the the plastic milk container? Hole milk
> has 13 gr/cup sugar, that is a lot. 2% milk has 15gr/cup and non-fat milk
> has 17gr/cup.

Nonsense. Milk has between 11 and 12 grams of carb per cup, varying
from 4% milkfat to skim.

> Seems, the more stuff they take out of the milk, the more
> sugar gets into it. Gee, these cows, how they do it!?
> I grabed my kitchen scale, 2 full tea spoon regular granulated sugar
> weighted 12 gr. As diabetic, do you put 2 teaspons of sugar in your coffee
> or annything?
> I don't think so!

1 measured teaspoon of granulated sugar is about 4 grams of carb, so
there's the equivalent of maybe 3 *level* teaspoons of granulated table
sugar in a cup of milk. Plus protein, calcium, vitamin D, water, etc.
etc. -- all good stuff.

Where on earth are you getting your figures from? Mine are from
fitday.com.

Priscilla
Jmmbear

writes:

>Have you looked at the lebal on the the plastic milk container? Hole milk
>has 13 gr/cup sugar, that is a lot. 2% milk has 15gr/cup and non-fat milk
>has 17gr/cup. Seems, the more stuff they take out of the milk, the more
>sugar gets into it. Gee, these cows, how they do it!?
>I grabed my kitchen scale, 2 full tea spoon regular granulated sugar
>weighted 12 gr. As diabetic, do you put 2 teaspons of sugar in your coffee
>or annything?
>I don't think so!
>
>JS

Whole millk varies from 11-13 grams carbs.. Lowfat milk often can have sugar
added... Not all do.. This is why I dont drink glasses of the stuff. I just use
it in my coffee..
As always YMMV and this is JMO
Jeanne Type 2 Diagnosed 05/28/02
189/154/120

Szaki

Well, you guys talk about sugar as carbohydrate, it is, but simple carbo.
Body procces sugar faster. If I drink 1-2 glasses of milk (say 4 cups, 50-60
gr sugar), my BG goes through the roof in the next few hours, unlike complex
carbo. It has a delaying action.
Goat milk or jogurt has less sugar, only 6-7 gr/ cup. Often I buy that, if
it's available, richer in fat though.

JS

"Jmmbear" > wrote in message
> In article <0ZzHb.499722$275.1407422@attbi_s53>, "Szaki"

> writes:
>
> >Have you looked at the lebal on the the plastic milk container? Hole milk
> >has 13 gr/cup sugar, that is a lot. 2% milk has 15gr/cup and non-fat milk
> >has 17gr/cup. Seems, the more stuff they take out of the milk, the more
> >sugar gets into it. Gee, these cows, how they do it!?
> >I grabed my kitchen scale, 2 full tea spoon regular granulated sugar
> >weighted 12 gr. As diabetic, do you put 2 teaspons of sugar in your

coffee
> >or annything?
> >I don't think so!
> >
> >JS
> >

> Whole millk varies from 11-13 grams carbs.. Lowfat milk often can have

sugar
> added... Not all do.. This is why I dont drink glasses of the stuff. I

just use
> it in my coffee..
> As always YMMV and this is JMO
> Jeanne Type 2 Diagnosed 05/28/02
> 189/154/120

KD

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 22:41:41 -0500, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> I have a recipe for chocolate
>cream cheese fudge that uses artificial sweetener, but because of the cream
>cheese and nuts it contains, it is high in fat. It also has some carbs.

Can you share this recipe. Sounds good!
Julie Bove

"KD" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 22:41:41 -0500, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
> > I have a recipe for chocolate
> >cream cheese fudge that uses artificial sweetener, but because of the

cream
> >cheese and nuts it contains, it is high in fat. It also has some carbs.

> Can you share this recipe. Sounds good!

I posted it here before. Yet the recipe seems to have vanished. Here it is
again. I have made this several times since I posted it. I find that it
tastes best after it has been allowed to sit for several days. If eaten on
the first day, the cream cheese flavor predominates. I also like to add a
few drops of orange extract and a lot more walnuts than it calls for. You
also have to use a LOT of butter to grease the pan with. I've made this
into balls, rolled them in chopped walnuts and called them "truffles". It
doesn't taste much like fudge to me, but it is still very tasty.

Sugar Free Fudge
Ingredients
· 16 oz Cream cheese, softened
· 2 ea Unsweetened chocolate squares (1oz ea)
· 1/2 c Sugar substitute
· 1 t Vanilla extract
· 1/2 c Chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
Melt chocolate. In a small mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, chocolate,
sweetener and vanilla until smooth. Stir in pecans. Pour into well- greased
8-inch square baking pan. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Exchanges: 1 fat

Jmmbear

In article >, "Julie Bove"
> writes:

>I posted it here before. Yet the recipe seems to have vanished. Here it is
>again. I have made this several times since I posted it. I find that it
>tastes best after it has been allowed to sit for several days. If eaten on
>the first day, the cream cheese flavor predominates. I also like to add a
>few drops of orange extract and a lot more walnuts than it calls for. You
>also have to use a LOT of butter to grease the pan with. I've made this
>into balls, rolled them in chopped walnuts and called them "truffles". It
>doesn't taste much like fudge to me, but it is still very tasty.
>
>Sugar Free Fudge
>Ingredients
>· 16 oz Cream cheese, softened
>· 2 ea Unsweetened chocolate squares (1oz ea)
>· 1/2 c Sugar substitute
>· 1 t Vanilla extract
>· 1/2 c Chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
>Melt chocolate. In a small mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, chocolate,
>sweetener and vanilla until smooth. Stir in pecans. Pour into well- greased
>8-inch square baking pan. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
>Exchanges: 1 fat

Julie sounds interesting.. Im always looking for new recipes.