Lori

Default SD Representative's traffic fatality defense is diabetes made me do it...

I know this is a food newsgroup, but this pertains to diabetics in
general. I don't know if any of you are aware of what is going on, so
I'll give you the short version:

South Dakota Representative Bill Janklow ran a stopsign and hit a man
on a motorcycle, killing him. Janklow's defense is that he was having
a low sugar reaction at the time and is not responsible for his
actions. You can read some of the story at
http://www.msnbc.com/news/999765.asp?0cv=CB10&cp1=1 It says that he
didn't eat breakfast because he "didn't have time". OK, fine, I'll
buy that, but what about a granola bar on the way? I'm sure there are
McDonald's and other quick restaurants in South Dakota.

If he succeeds in blaming diabetes, it could mean increased insurance
premiums for all of us diagnosed with diabetes, possibly a loss of
driving priveleges. In today's litigation happy society, being
diabetic could suddenly become a major legal nightmare, along with
being a health issue to deal with.

I, for one, am peacefully co-existing with my diabetes. I've learned
to live with it, what I can and can't do, and when I should do what.
I've learned to recognize when I should just simply stop what I'm
doing and eat a peanut butter cracker. I've always got them with me.

Diabetes should not be synonymous with disability or inability just
because somebody is diagnosed with it. I am concerned that if Janklow
gets by with his defense, diabetics in general will be discrimated
against.

I know we have low sugar reactions. They happen. My question is
this: if we know we need to eat and don't, ignore the signs and still
drive or do something else that is dangerous, when we mess up and hurt
or kill somebody, is it the fault of the disease, or the negligence of
the person who isn't managing it correctly?

I'll hop off my soap box now. Thanks for your time.

_____

Lori
T2 since 2/97
Ray

Very, very worrying.

Ray
"Lori" > wrote in message

> I know this is a food newsgroup, but this pertains to diabetics in
> general. I don't know if any of you are aware of what is going on, so
> I'll give you the short version:
>
> South Dakota Representative Bill Janklow ran a stopsign and hit a man
> on a motorcycle, killing him. Janklow's defense is that he was having
> a low sugar reaction at the time and is not responsible for his
> actions. You can read some of the story at
> http://www.msnbc.com/news/999765.asp?0cv=CB10&cp1=1 It says that he
> didn't eat breakfast because he "didn't have time". OK, fine, I'll
> buy that, but what about a granola bar on the way? I'm sure there are
> McDonald's and other quick restaurants in South Dakota.
>
> If he succeeds in blaming diabetes, it could mean increased insurance
> premiums for all of us diagnosed with diabetes, possibly a loss of
> driving priveleges. In today's litigation happy society, being
> diabetic could suddenly become a major legal nightmare, along with
> being a health issue to deal with.
>
> I, for one, am peacefully co-existing with my diabetes. I've learned
> to live with it, what I can and can't do, and when I should do what.
> I've learned to recognize when I should just simply stop what I'm
> doing and eat a peanut butter cracker. I've always got them with me.
>
> Diabetes should not be synonymous with disability or inability just
> because somebody is diagnosed with it. I am concerned that if Janklow
> gets by with his defense, diabetics in general will be discrimated
> against.
>
> I know we have low sugar reactions. They happen. My question is
> this: if we know we need to eat and don't, ignore the signs and still
> drive or do something else that is dangerous, when we mess up and hurt
> or kill somebody, is it the fault of the disease, or the negligence of
> the person who isn't managing it correctly?
>
> I'll hop off my soap box now. Thanks for your time.
>
> _____
>
> Lori
> T2 since 2/97

Wmkcross

>Janklow ran a stopsign and hit a man
>on a motorcycle, killing him. Janklow's defense is that he was having
>a low sugar reaction at the time and is not responsible for his
>actions.

The man has a history of driving fast and even ran the same stop sign once
before.
My question would be...was he treated for Hypoglycemia at the scene? If not,
there goes his defense.
The guy is known for his "I'm above the law " attitude. I hope they fry him.

I'm sure that he will be convicted.Ofcourse he will be sent to a "country club"
prison to serve his sentence. If he were an average Joe he would have been sent
to some hell hole. Even if a miracle occurs and he gets off. The victims family
would have a hey day in court since he knew he was diabetic and willfully chose
to skip breakfast.That equals big bucks.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Siobhan Perricone

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 05:30:19 GMT, Lori
> wrote:

>I'm sure there are
>McDonald's and other quick restaurants in South Dakota.

You've never been to South Dakota, have you? ;D

--
Siobhan Perricone
"Who would have thought that a bad Austrian artist who's obsessed with the human physical ideal could assemble such a rabid political following?"
Lori

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 14:21:16 -0500, Siobhan Perricone
> wrote:

>You've never been to South Dakota, have you? ;D

Well, no, but I hope to correct that next summer. My planned vacation
next year is a motorcycle trip from Tennessee to Montana, hitting
quite a few other states along the way there and back. It will be my
longest trip to date. My last long one was in 2001 when I rode from
Ohio to Georgia, than back to Ohio - by way of Maine. Little over
4100 miles total. Never, *ever*, ask a motorcyclist for directions if
you're in a hurry. : )

_____

Lori
T2 since 2/97

Jmmbear

In article >, Lori
> writes:

>I know we have low sugar reactions. They happen. My question is
>this: if we know we need to eat and don't, ignore the signs and still
>drive or do something else that is dangerous, when we mess up and hurt
>or kill somebody, is it the fault of the disease, or the negligence of
>the person who isn't managing it correctly?
>
>I'll hop off my soap box now. Thanks for your time.
>
>_____
>
>Lori

Lori, before being Diagnosed I might have bought this mans arguement.. But I
know better now.. Personally I think he is an Ass who is totally responsible
for what happened..This was not the first time he had run lights, gotten many
speeding tickets etc.. Did he forget breakfast all those other times too.. Im
not buying it.. Not at all, and I hope the Jury doesnt either..
As always YMMV and this is JMO
Jeanne Type 2 Diagnosed 05/28/02
189/154/120
Lori

Rep. Janklow was found guilty on all counts, including second degree
manslaughter, running a stop sign, speeding, and reckless driving.
The story is at http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,105154,00.html.

It's sad that a man lost his life and a family lost their
father/brother/husband. It's sad that another man is going to lose
the life he's always known. Still, I'm glad that his line of defense
didn't work. To blame a medical condition that can be managed for
sheer recklessness is just about as low as you can get.

_____

Lori
T2 since 2/97
Wmkcross

>Rep. Janklow was found guilty on all counts, including second degree
>manslaughter, running a stop sign, speeding, and reckless driving.
>The story is at http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,105154,00.html.

They are already talking about a pardon from the Governor. This is outrageous.
12 people heard the evidence and saw fit to convict the man of a CRIME. A
pardon is a slap in the face to those 12 jurors. Why did they even bother with
a trial? Big deal, so he loses his job and is humilated. Mr. Scott lost his
LIFE.

Like I said, I hope the Scott family sues the pants off Janklow. His politician
buddies might keep him out of jail. But they can't protect his bank account.
I realize that this is off topic. It just burns me up that his "holier than
thou" attitude will be made worse by this slap on the wrist.

Regards
Bill
BJ in Texas

Lori wrote:

> It's sad that a man lost his life and a family lost their
> father/brother/husband. It's sad that another man is going
> to lose the life he's always known. Still, I'm glad that his
> line of defense didn't work. To blame a medical condition
> that can be managed for sheer recklessness is just about as
> low as you can get.

It is sad a man lost his life, but how is it sad that another will
lose the life he's always known. The man through negligence
forfited his carrer. His carelessness led to the death of the
first man, for this he should take responsibility.

BJ