FoodBanter.com

-   -   Prepared meals for diabetics (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/13841-prepared-meals-diabetics.html)

healthysweets 25-11-2003 01:47 PM

Prepared meals for diabetics

We are a group interested in creating a full line of frozen foods for
diabetics ( in consultation with diabetic nutritionists )to be sold in
the freezer section of major supermarkets nationwide. We welcome your
comments and suggestions as we want to do this the right way and
believe our potential customers should have a say on the get-go of
this company.

We are in the process of raising the financing as well, and welcome
any comments of interest in directly investing in the company (or
buying a territory ).

Please share your thoughts with us.

Thank you.

Ben Levy

Gregory Gadow 25-11-2003 02:10 PM

healthysweets wrote:

> We are a group interested in creating a full line of frozen foods for
> diabetics ( in consultation with diabetic nutritionists )to be sold in
> the freezer section of major supermarkets nationwide. We welcome your
> comments and suggestions as we want to do this the right way and
> believe our potential customers should have a say on the get-go of
> this company.
>
> We are in the process of raising the financing as well, and welcome
> any comments of interest in directly investing in the company (or
> buying a territory ).
>
> Please share your thoughts with us.

You have a lot of competition. All of the major food manufacturers are
developing products to cash in on the Atkins craze. Heck, if McDonalds and
KFC are touting low-carb -censored- mistakenly called food, can General
Mills and the others be far behind? In other words, very good luck.

As for me, I have always found the Healthy Choice entrees to my liking.
Very flavorful and they have the Diabetic Exchanges listed on the boxes as
well as the usual nutritional breakdown, which makes it very easy to
include them in to my eating plan. Follow their design of "tastes good"
(all too rare in the frozen foods industry), *healthy* *nutrition* (not
just low carb) and meaningful information on the packages and you won't do
badly.
--
Gregory Gadow

http://www.serv.net/~techbear

"If you make yourself a sheep, the wolves will eat you."
-- Benjamin Franklin

Wmkcross 25-11-2003 03:10 PM

Prepared meals for diabetics

>Please share your thoughts with us.
>
>Thank you.
>
>Ben Levy

The first thought that comes to my mind is to use a genuine e-mail address. Not
a Yahoo or hotmail site. Most people think of addresses like these are
associated with SCAMS. Not that yours is a scam but thats what people think
when they see these types of posts.Especially on newsgroups.

Just my 2 cents
Bill

Tiger Lily 25-11-2003 03:37 PM

Prepared meals for diabetics

lol..... most nutritionists are going to recommend meal portions that are
too heavy on carbs for my food allowance

how can you make a "packaged" meal when there are so many different dietary
plans........ i guess you could make a generic meal based on 1,800 cal / day
for those who don't really want to get involved in the cooking aspect of
their diet

individual portion packs that i can mix and match would be what i could
use!!! and would love

--
Join us in the Diabetic-Talk Chatroom on UnderNet
/server irc.undernet.org --- /join #Diabetic-Talk

om...

Nomail54k 25-11-2003 04:25 PM

Prepared meals for diabetics

If this is to be a full line of healthy diabetic foods, I sure wouldn't call it
anything with the word 'sweets' in the name. That would be an immediate turnoff
to me. Somehow 'sweets' and 'healthy' don't go together.

Good luck with your endeavor

. com...

BJ in Texas 25-11-2003 05:14 PM

healthysweets wrote:
> We are a group interested in creating a full line of frozen
> foods for diabetics ( in consultation with diabetic
> nutritionists )to be sold in the freezer section of major
> supermarkets nationwide. We welcome your comments and
> suggestions as we want to do this the right way and believe
> our potential customers should have a say on the get-go of
> this company.
>
> We are in the process of raising the financing as well, and
> welcome any comments of interest in directly investing in the
> company (or buying a territory ).
>
> Please share your thoughts with us.

You are likely in for a suprise and not one diet fits all diabetics.
There are diabetics that follow the ADA exchange and carb
food guidelines, many diabetics manage with a controlled carb
intake that is significantly lower than the ADA recommendations.
Sugar-free can often be meaningless in that context.

What is your definition of 'Healthy Sweets"?

It would lend much credibitlity to your statements if posted
from an email address other than a throw-a-way Yahoo
account.

Good Luck,
BJ

Gregory Gadow 25-11-2003 05:56 PM

BJ in Texas wrote:

> healthysweets wrote:
> > We are a group interested in creating a full line of frozen
> > foods for diabetics ( in consultation with diabetic
> > nutritionists )to be sold in the freezer section of major
> > supermarkets nationwide. We welcome your comments and
> > suggestions as we want to do this the right way and believe
> > our potential customers should have a say on the get-go of
> > this company.
> >
> > We are in the process of raising the financing as well, and
> > welcome any comments of interest in directly investing in the
> > company (or buying a territory ).
> >
> > Please share your thoughts with us.
> >

> You are likely in for a suprise and not one diet fits all diabetics.
> There are diabetics that follow the ADA exchange and carb
> food guidelines, many diabetics manage with a controlled carb
> intake that is significantly lower than the ADA recommendations.
> Sugar-free can often be meaningless in that context.

Too often, items labeled as "sugar-free" have more carbs than the full
sugar stuff. Case in point: hard candies made with sorbitol. Because
sugar alcohols are less sweet than sugars, manufacturers need to use
more. But gram per gram, sugar alcohols have the same amount of
carbohydrates as regular sugar. Further, different people metabolize
sugar alcohols differently. Most will see a slower rise in blood glucose
and a gentler spike. Some, though, will metabolize it quickly and see a
sharp rise. Some don't metabolize sugar alcohols at all and instead end
up with serious *ahem* intestinal upset.

Jmmbear 25-11-2003 07:08 PM

Prepared meals for diabetics

In article >,
(healthysweets) writes:

>We are a group interested in creating a full line of frozen foods for
>diabetics ( in consultation with diabetic nutritionists )to be sold in
>the freezer section of major supermarkets nationwide. We welcome your
>comments and suggestions as we want to do this the right way and
>believe our potential customers should have a say on the get-go of
>this company.
>
>We are in the process of raising the financing as well, and welcome
>any comments of interest in directly investing in the company (or
>buying a territory ).
>
>Please share your thoughts with us.
>
>Thank you.
>
>Ben Levy

How about making it watching the carb count, NOT just the sugar.. Diabetics
worry about many things, not just sugar.. Carbs, fats and preservatives..
As always YMMV and this is JMO
Jeanne Type 2 Diagnosed 05/28/02
189/154/120

Julie Bove 26-11-2003 12:37 AM

Prepared meals for diabetics

"healthysweets" > wrote in message
om...
> We are a group interested in creating a full line of frozen foods for
> diabetics ( in consultation with diabetic nutritionists )to be sold in
> the freezer section of major supermarkets nationwide. We welcome your
> comments and suggestions as we want to do this the right way and
> believe our potential customers should have a say on the get-go of
> this company.
>
> We are in the process of raising the financing as well, and welcome
> any comments of interest in directly investing in the company (or
> buying a territory ).
>
> Please share your thoughts with us.

I don't think you did your research very well! We eat the same foods as
everyone else. And there is no one diet we all follow. Personally, I don't
eat much in the way of frozen foods. What I do eat a lot of is salads.

--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

Peanutjake 26-11-2003 03:59 AM

Prepared meals for diabetics

I try to keep the total carb count in any meal to 30gms or less.

I won't buy anything that is higher than that.

Type 1's and type 2's don't eat the same.

Which type do you plan to feed?

PJ

BJ in Texas 26-11-2003 01:07 PM

Peanutjake wrote:
> I try to keep the total carb count in any meal to 30gms or
> less.
>
> I won't buy anything that is higher than that.
>
> Type 1's and type 2's don't eat the same.
>
> Which type do you plan to feed?
>
> PJ

Not all Type 1's eat the same as other Type 1's.
And for sure Type 2's eat pretty varied. Best
diet is fresh veggies with your meal, how you
gonna do that? BJ