Gregory Gadow

Default chocolate

Erika wrote:

> On 20 Nov 2003 04:16:34 GMT, (Jmmbear) wrote:
>
> >Homemade peanut butter cups.
> >recipe from one of the lowcarb boards.. I add another 2 tbsp of peanut butter.
> >Peanut Butter Cups
> >1 stick unsalted butter
> >1 oz unsweetened bakers chocolate
> >1/3 c Splenda
> >1 Tbsp heavy cream
> >4 Tbsp peanut butter

> Thanks for the recipe.
> I have a few questions.

Some of us tend to forget that not everyone uses American measurements :-)

> 1 how much is "one stick" of butter?

1/4 cup. I don't know what that would be metric.

> 2 what is splenda?

Splenda is a sugar substitute. See
http://www.splenda.com/

> 3 how many percent fat is "heavy cream"?

I don't know what it would be called in Sweden, but heavy cream in its raw form is
what you get at the top of the milk jug after letting the evening milking stand
over night. It's high in fat, but not as high in fat as butter.I don't know the
figures, but that should be enough to know what is meant.
--
Gregory Gadow

http://www.serv.net/~techbear

"If you make yourself a sheep, the wolves will eat you."
-- Benjamin Franklin

Jmmbear

In article >, Erika
> writes:

>1 how much is "one stick" of butter?
>2 what is splenda?
>3 how many percent fat is "heavy cream"?
>

>Thanks again

Okay one stick is 1/4 cup or a quarter of a lb of butter.
Splenda is a new subsitute sweetner.. I will include the web site on this post
Heavy cream is the cream you buy for real whipping cream.. Heavy fat content..

http://www.splenda/
As always YMMV and this is JMO
Jeanne Type 2 Diagnosed 05/28/02
189/154/120
Erika

On 20 Nov 2003 19:50:05 GMT, (Jmmbear) wrote:

>In article >, Erika
> writes:
>
>>1 how much is "one stick" of butter?
>>2 what is splenda?
>>3 how many percent fat is "heavy cream"?
>>

>>Thanks again
>>

>Okay one stick is 1/4 cup or a quarter of a lb of butter.
>Splenda is a new subsitute sweetner.. I will include the web site on this post
>Heavy cream is the cream you buy for real whipping cream.. Heavy fat content..

http://www.splenda/
>As always YMMV and this is JMO
>Jeanne Type 2 Diagnosed 05/28/02
>189/154/120

ok, thanks. We don't have splenda but i suppose it could be
substituted by canderell.

/Erika

The first ten years of your life you try to be just like your parents.
Then for then years you try to be as little as your parents as possible.
Then you gradually change in to them.
Vicki Beausoleil

Jmmbear wrote:

> In article >, Erika
> > writes:
>
> >1 how much is "one stick" of butter?
> >2 what is splenda?
> >3 how many percent fat is "heavy cream"?
> >

> >Thanks again
> >

> Okay one stick is 1/4 cup or a quarter of a lb of butter.
> Splenda is a new subsitute sweetner.. I will include the web site on this post
> Heavy cream is the cream you buy for real whipping cream.. Heavy fat content..
>
> http://www.splenda/
> As always YMMV and this is JMO
> Jeanne Type 2 Diagnosed 05/28/02
> 189/154/120

A stick of butter is 1/2 cup. There's two cups of butter in a pound. (1
pound=454 grams).

Erika, you could substitute your Canderel for Splenda. Just add it after
the butter and chocolate have melted. Use the stuff that measures like
sugar. 1/3 cup is a 75 ml measure.

Heavy or whipping cream has a minimum of 35% milk fat.

HTH

Vicki

Vicki Beausoleil

Vicki Beausoleil wrote:

> Jmmbear wrote:
> >
> > In article >, Erika
> > > writes:
> >
> > >1 how much is "one stick" of butter?
> > >2 what is splenda?
> > >3 how many percent fat is "heavy cream"?
> > >

> > >Thanks again
> > >

> > Okay one stick is 1/4 cup or a quarter of a lb of butter.
> > Splenda is a new subsitute sweetner.. I will include the web site on this post
> > Heavy cream is the cream you buy for real whipping cream.. Heavy fat content..
> >
> > http://www.splenda/
> > As always YMMV and this is JMO
> > Jeanne Type 2 Diagnosed 05/28/02
> > 189/154/120

> A stick of butter is 1/2 cup. There's two cups of butter in a pound. (1
> pound=454 grams).
>
> Erika, you could substitute your Canderel for Splenda. Just add it after
> the butter and chocolate have melted. Use the stuff that measures like
> sugar. 1/3 cup is a 75 ml measure.
>
> Heavy or whipping cream has a minimum of 35% milk fat.
>
> HTH
>
> Vicki

Here is another recipe for a reduced carb chocolate treat. It too uses
Splenda, but Canderel that measures like sugar would be a simple
substitute. If you can't get sugar free pudding mix, you could
substitute regular instant pudding, but it would increase the carb
count. This recipes also uses some fructose. If you're using Canderel,
just leave the fructose out. It helps to counteract the delay in
sweetening action some people have with Splenda.

Oh, Chocolate!
from "More Splendid Desserts' by Jennifer Eloff

125 g light cream cheese, softened 4 oz.
150 g unsweetened chocolate 5 oz.
15 ml butter 1 tblsp.
1 - 40 g package sugarless chocolate instant 1
pudding mix, prepared
375 ml Splenda Granular 1 1/2 cups
45 ml granulated fructose (or to taste) 3 tblsp.

In food processor with steel blade, process cream cheese for 2 minutes.
In heavy saucepan, melt chocolate with butter over low heat. Do not
overheat as chocolate will scorch. Add to food processor. Add prepared
pudding, sweetener and fructose; process until very smooth.
Spray a 9 x 13 inch (3 litre) pan with nonstick cooking spray. Pour
mixture into pan; cover the surface with plastic wrap and store in
freezer.

When chocolate firms up, if desired, score into 230 squares. To serve,
let stand at room temperature for 5 minutes for easier cutting.

Per 4 squares:
28 calories, 0.8 g protein, 2 g fat, 2.4 g carbohydrate, 0.4 g fiber

---
I have found the serving size for all the recipes I have from this
author are small.

Vicki
Jmmbear

In article >, Vicki Beausoleil
> writes:

>A stick of butter is 1/2 cup. There's two cups of butter in a pound. (1
>pound=454 grams).

Good grief.. Sorry about that. Dont know what I was thinking.. You are right. a
stick is 1/2 cup..
As always YMMV and this is JMO
Jeanne Type 2 Diagnosed 05/28/02
189/154/120
Jmmbear

In article >, Erika
> writes:

>ok, thanks. We don't have splenda but i suppose it could be
>substituted by canderell.
>

>/Erika

Okay so Canderell is a sugar subsitute? I tried to locate a defintiton, but all
the sites were in German?Swedish?
As always YMMV and this is JMO
Jeanne Type 2 Diagnosed 05/28/02
189/154/120
Jmmbear

In article >, Erika
> writes:

>There is a site in english as well
>

>http://www.canderel.uk.com/scripts/FR1.HTM
>

>/Erika

Thanks Ericka.. It sounds like Equal here.. They use asparatame for the
sweetner in it. Thank you for the link..:-)
As always YMMV and this is JMO
Jeanne Type 2 Diagnosed 05/28/02
189/154/120

Bob Pastorio

Vicki Beausoleil wrote:

> When chocolate firms up, if desired, score into 230 squares. To serve,
> let stand at room temperature for 5 minutes for easier cutting.

How many squares?

Pastorio

Vicki Beausoleil

Bob Pastorio wrote:

> Vicki Beausoleil wrote:
>
> > When chocolate firms up, if desired, score into 230 squares. To serve,
> > let stand at room temperature for 5 minutes for easier cutting.

> How many squares?
>
> Pastorio

You read it right...

That's the only problem I have with the recipes in these books. The
serving sizes are unrealistically small. But the nutritional info is
there, so you have to make the calculations based on what your serving
size would be.

There's a recipe in one book for Zucchini Almond Coffeecake. It's darn
good. It's baked in a 9 x 13 pan and gives 24 servings. That 9 x 13 pan
gives a cake less than an inch thick. It's foolish, I know, but I didn't
write the book.

Been reading you in the foodie ngs long before DM. You one of us now?

Vicki
Bob Pastorio

Vicki Beausoleil wrote:

> Bob Pastorio wrote:
>
>>Vicki Beausoleil wrote:
>>

>>>When chocolate firms up, if desired, score into 230 squares. To serve,
>>>let stand at room temperature for 5 minutes for easier cutting.

>>How many squares?
>>
>>Pastorio

> You read it right...
>
> That's the only problem I have with the recipes in these books. The
> serving sizes are unrealistically small. But the nutritional info is
> there, so you have to make the calculations based on what your serving
> size would be.

Kinda silly, I think, to do these unrealistic portions.

> There's a recipe in one book for Zucchini Almond Coffeecake. It's darn
> good. It's baked in a 9 x 13 pan and gives 24 servings. That 9 x 13 pan
> gives a cake less than an inch thick. It's foolish, I know, but I didn't
> write the book.
>
> Been reading you in the foodie ngs long before DM. You one of us now?

I'm not diabetic, but foodie, I am. Just looking to see how other
people eat and what they do with their food. I'm doing a lot of
low-carb writing these days.

Pastorio