FoodBanter.com

-   -   REC: apple crisp (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/138255-rec-apple-crisp.html)

W. Baker 26-10-2007 01:49 AM

REC: apple crisp

Jackie Patti > wrote:
: This is WICKED easy! Comes to 26g carb, 8g protein, 338 kilocalories
: for the whole recipe.

: Peel, core and slice an apple and place in a bowl. Sprinkle a tsp of
: cinnamon over it and add 1/4 cup sugar-free DaVinci caramel syrup.
: Cover and nuke 2 minutes.

: Remove cover and sprinkle over the top 6 TB almond meal, 2 TB crushed
: pecans and then dot 2 TB butter over all, cover and nuke another 2 minutes.

: --
: http://www.ornery-geeks.org/consulting/

So how many servings do you figure for this one apple dish?

Wendy

Jackie Patti[_2_] 26-10-2007 02:08 AM

REC: apple crisp

--
http://www.ornery-geeks.org/consulting/

Jackie Patti[_2_] 26-10-2007 03:17 AM

REC: apple crisp

W. Baker wrote:
> So how many servings do you figure for this one apple dish?

My husband's away, so I was forced to eat it all myself. ;)

However, it was a pretty oversized serving, especially after dinner. So
I could have gotten two sewrvings out of it if he were here.

--
http://www.ornery-geeks.org/consulting/

Julie Bove 26-10-2007 04:13 AM

apple crisp

"Jackie Patti" > wrote in message
> This is WICKED easy! Comes to 26g carb, 8g protein, 338 kilocalories for
> the whole recipe.
>
> Peel, core and slice an apple and place in a bowl. Sprinkle a tsp of
> cinnamon over it and add 1/4 cup sugar-free DaVinci caramel syrup. Cover
> and nuke 2 minutes.
>
> Remove cover and sprinkle over the top 6 TB almond meal, 2 TB crushed
> pecans and then dot 2 TB butter over all, cover and nuke another 2
> minutes.

It would figure I am allergic to it. Drat. I sometimes make apple crisp
for my daughter with coconut oil and gluten free oatmeal, but it's one of
the few foods I can't seem to pass up. Every time I go near it, I have to
take a bite and pretty soon my BG is through the roof. So I don't make it
very often. :(

Rod S 26-10-2007 07:35 AM

apple crisp

"Jackie Patti" wrote in message
> This is WICKED easy! Comes to 26g carb, 8g protein, 338 kilocalories
> for the whole recipe.
>
> Peel, core and slice an apple and place in a bowl. Sprinkle a tsp of
> cinnamon over it and add 1/4 cup sugar-free DaVinci caramel syrup.
> Cover and nuke 2 minutes.
>
> Remove cover and sprinkle over the top 6 TB almond meal, 2 TB crushed
> pecans and then dot 2 TB butter over all, cover and nuke another 2

minutes.

> --
> http://www.ornery-geeks.org/consulting/

Not sure do you mean Calories or Kilojules? :-)
I have checked the DaVinci syrup it is available here by mail order but only
about 2 flavours price about $16 per 750ml bottle plus postage, how much
does it cost there?

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia

Jackie Patti[_2_] 26-10-2007 01:00 PM

apple crisp

Rod S wrote:

> I have checked the DaVinci syrup it is available here by mail order but only
> about 2 flavours price about $16 per 750ml bottle plus postage, how much
> does it cost there?

They're about $8-10 US per bottle here.

You can accomplish the same type of thing as a DaVinci syrup with baking
extracts and sweetener.

--
http://www.ornery-geeks.org/consulting/

W. Baker 26-10-2007 07:55 PM

REC: apple crisp

Jackie Patti > wrote:
: W. Baker wrote:
: > So how many servings do you figure for this one apple dish?

: My husband's away, so I was forced to eat it all myself. ;)

: However, it was a pretty oversized serving, especially after dinner. So
: I could have gotten two sewrvings out of it if he were here.

: --
: http://www.ornery-geeks.org/consulting/

It is just that 26 carb for me for a dessert seems a bit much. How big an
apple had so many carbs? In consulting my calorie/carb/fiber book a large
apple(8oz) conatins 34grs carb and about 5.5 grs fiber, makaing it 28,e5
net carbs and a medium apple (5.5 oz) is aobut 23 carbs-4.5 fiber.

I guess you used a medium-large apple:-) Now I know why I eat only half
an apple at a time:-)

Wendy

Jackie Patti[_2_] 29-10-2007 02:58 AM

REC: apple crisp

W. Baker wrote:
> Jackie Patti > wrote:
> : W. Baker wrote:
> : > So how many servings do you figure for this one apple dish?
>
> : My husband's away, so I was forced to eat it all myself. ;)
>
> : However, it was a pretty oversized serving, especially after dinner. So
> : I could have gotten two sewrvings out of it if he were here.

> It is just that 26 carb for me for a dessert seems a bit much. How big an
> apple had so many carbs? In consulting my calorie/carb/fiber book a large
> apple(8oz) conatins 34grs carb and about 5.5 grs fiber, makaing it 28,e5
> net carbs and a medium apple (5.5 oz) is aobut 23 carbs-4.5 fiber.
>
> I guess you used a medium-large apple:-) Now I know why I eat only half
> an apple at a time:-)

I did the math for a medium apple using http://www.nutritiondata.com.

I also am reporting total carbs, not net. I gave up on the net thing as
too damned complicated for me to deal with regularly.

I agree the whole thing is rather a lot of carb at one dose, especially
if there were any significant carbs in the meal that preceded it.
Depends on what else one is eating.

But it's darned good. ;)

--
http://www.ornery-geeks.org/consulting/