Christopher C. Stacy

Default Thanksgiving

1. Do you have any good recipies for Thanksgiving?

2. How are people handling Thanksgiving at traditional
dinners that the (non-diabetic) relatives are presenting?
Julie Bove

"Christopher C. Stacy" > wrote in message
> 1. Do you have any good recipies for Thanksgiving?

Only the cranberry salad that that I posted previously.

> 2. How are people handling Thanksgiving at traditional
> dinners that the (non-diabetic) relatives are presenting?

I cook my own dinner, so it won't be a problem for me. But most of the
time, I find that the traditional turkey dinner is one that I can eat with
no problems. I don't eat sweet potatoes. I eat mashed instead. The
stuffing can be a problem if it is made with fruit. But I'm not too keen on
stuffing anyway. Mainly, I eat turkey and mashed potatoes. For vegetables,
I eat green salad or green beans. I don't usually add things to the green
beans because my daughter likes them plain. I made creamed onions last
year. Can't remember the exact recipe, but I recall it used large onions,
sliced, and some cheese. I liked it. Nobody else did. I don't do dessert
unless perhaps just one bite.

--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

K30a

Instead of the *whole* dinner I'm eating
only what I really, really like. So no mashed
potatoes and stuffing and corn (I can take or
leave those) but I'll have my carbs in the form
of scalloped oysters which I truly love! I'll do
a bit of rough math to figure serving size
and carbs. I don't drink so don't have to worry
about wine, I'll have sparkling water instead.

I have a recipe for sugarless pumpkin pie
which I really like and I think I'll try one
with splenda, then the regular pie and my
husband's cast iron over the bbq pumpkin
crisp. We'll all (up to 17 people!) have tastes
and we'll rate them all and see who wins ;-)

k ~ t2
Siobhan Perricone

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 20:04:56 GMT, (Christopher C. Stacy)
wrote:

>1. Do you have any good recipies for Thanksgiving?

Yup, see below.

>2. How are people handling Thanksgiving at traditional
> dinners that the (non-diabetic) relatives are presenting?

I do the cooking in our area, but if my family were doing it, they'd get
some help with recipes that are low carb, but I'd expect that *I* would
have to handle my carb intake. I wouldn't expect them to change much at
all. That's why I'd bring a few low carb things of my own, and there's no
problem with turkey at all.

Siobhan's Low Carb Pumpkin Pie with Walnut Crust

Makes 1 nine-inch regular depth pie (not deep dish)

Crust
1.5 cups finely chopped walnuts (almost powder, but not paste, you can use
other types of nuts if you don't like walnuts, no this isn't safe for
people with nut allergies, obviously)
3 tbsp butter, softened
3 tbsp Splenda (or a sweetener that can be baked, not nutrasweet)

Filling
2 eggs, beaten
15 ounces canned pumpkin/cooked pumpkin
12 ounces evaporated milk (I used non-fat/skim)
1.5 cups splenda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground allspice
Dash or two ground nutmeg

Make the crust:
Mix the chopped walnuts and splenda together, then smoosh in the butter
until it's all crumbly. Spray a 9 inch shallow pie pan (not deep dish)
with non-stick spray then press the nut mixture on the bottom and sides of
the pie pan. Put in fridge to chill until ready to bake.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Beat the eggs then add the rest of the ingredients (increase or decrease
spices to taste). Pour into pie shell but don't overflow the crumb crust.
Place in oven and bake for 10 minutes at 425 then reduce temperature to 350
and bake another 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes
out clean.

The whole pie has 101 total carbs, 25 grams of which is fiber.

--
Siobhan Perricone
"Who would have thought that a bad Austrian artist who's obsessed with the human physical ideal could assemble such a rabid political following?"

Jacquie

I eat a teaspoon of everything I like...I eat extra turkey tho Then I eat
a little dessert that I make and snack on during the holidays it's a little
higher in calories then I would like but I just cut back on something else
the day I plan on eating it You could use the no fat cream cheese and no fat
Cool Whip too...but no fat stuff makes me gag
* Exported from MasterCook *

Lower Carb Double Layer Pumpkin cups

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Dessert Pumpkin

4 oz. Philadelphia Light Cream Cheese -- (1/2 of 8-oz.
pkg.)softened
1 Tbsp. skim milk
1 Tbsp. sugar substitute
8 ounces Cool Whip Lite® -- (8 oz.) thawed,divided
1 cup skim milk
16 ounces canned pumpkin -- (16 oz.)
2 pkg. sugar-free vanilla pudding and pie filling --
(4-serving size each)
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground cloves

MIX cream cheese, 1 Tbsp. milk and sugar in large bowl with wire whisk until
well blended. Gently stir in 1/2 of the whipped topping. Divide mixture into
six small cups(I use the small round Glad storage cups)
POUR 1 cup milk into large bowl. Add pumpkin, pudding mixes and spices. Beat
with wire whisk 2 minutes or until well blended. (Mixture will be thick.)
Spread over cream cheese layer in each cup
REFRIGERATE 4 hours or until set. Garnish with remaining whipped topping.
Store in refrigerator.
Prep Time: 20 min
Total Time: 4 hr 20 min
Serves: 8
How To Soften Cream Cheese: Place completely unwrapped package of cream
cheese on microwavable plate. Microwave on HIGH 10 to 15 seconds or until
slightly softened.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 156 Calories; 6g Fat (37.5% calories
from fat); 3g Protein; 20g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 6mg Cholesterol;
239mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0
Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Thanksgiving Evelyn Diabetic 17 04-12-2009 08:32 PM
Thanksgiving Dave Smith[_1_] General Cooking 70 28-10-2009 05:12 PM
Thanksgiving Day koko General Cooking 21 01-12-2008 03:03 AM
Thanksgiving MoM General Cooking 170 04-11-2005 03:01 AM
A Thanksgiving wish Dimitri General Cooking 0 24-11-2003 08:10 PM