FoodBanter.com

-   -   Learn To Cook (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/13805-learn-cook.html)

Alan 15-11-2003 12:50 AM

Learn To Cook

Learn to Cook
It's interesting to notice, in reading the various threads on diet, that
posters here seem to fall into one of three categories:
Those who enjoy cooking; those who cannot cook; and those who can cook,
but only do it because they have to.

My research after diagnosis led me to two startling revelations for an
obese T2. I needed to lose a lot of weight and I needed to control my
blood glucose. Of course, there are other factors, but those two were
paramount.

It is a never-ending task, but I believe it was much easier for me to
achieve reasonable weight and control because I am a person who enjoys
cooking. It allows me to be the one who controls what goes into the
recipe by type and quantity, to control the size of portions, and to
experiment by testing the results.

I can only imagine the stress it places on a relationship when the
diabetic is trying to tactfully tell the cook that the new dessert is
either too many carbs or so full of Splenda it tastes horrible. Or that
they now need five meals a day, and so on. Illness places enough stress
on relationships without that.

There is also a continual search by non-cooks for "safe" pre-prepared
foods in the supermarket, like the pop-corn thread at the moment, or
"safe" fast foods and restaurant foods.

Some people are forced to eat out, by work or local social requirement;
and fast or pre-prepared foods are convenient. But I am starting to
believe that one of the best things a diabetic can do for their health
is to cook for themselves at home.

Cheers Alan, T2, Oz
dx May 2002, diet and not enough exercise.

Julie Bove 15-11-2003 03:12 AM

Learn To Cook

"Alan" > wrote in message
> Learn to Cook
> It's interesting to notice, in reading the various threads on diet, that
> posters here seem to fall into one of three categories:
> Those who enjoy cooking; those who cannot cook; and those who can cook,
> but only do it because they have to.
>
> My research after diagnosis led me to two startling revelations for an
> obese T2. I needed to lose a lot of weight and I needed to control my
> blood glucose. Of course, there are other factors, but those two were
> paramount.
>
> It is a never-ending task, but I believe it was much easier for me to
> achieve reasonable weight and control because I am a person who enjoys
> cooking. It allows me to be the one who controls what goes into the
> recipe by type and quantity, to control the size of portions, and to
> experiment by testing the results.
>
> I can only imagine the stress it places on a relationship when the
> diabetic is trying to tactfully tell the cook that the new dessert is
> either too many carbs or so full of Splenda it tastes horrible. Or that
> they now need five meals a day, and so on. Illness places enough stress
> on relationships without that.
>
> There is also a continual search by non-cooks for "safe" pre-prepared
> foods in the supermarket, like the pop-corn thread at the moment, or
> "safe" fast foods and restaurant foods.
>
> Some people are forced to eat out, by work or local social requirement;
> and fast or pre-prepared foods are convenient. But I am starting to
> believe that one of the best things a diabetic can do for their health
> is to cook for themselves at home.

I cook most of my meals. I like to cook. I didn't always do a lot of
cooking though. When I was single, I often dined out because it was just
easier. It can be difficult to cook for one unless you want to eat the same
thing over and over for days. I do order out some here, but most of what is
available is stuff I can't eat. So even when I order out for the other two,
I often just have a salad myself.

My brother doesn't cook. He knows how. He just doesn't do it. Neither
does his wife. He has type 2 and she has pre-diabetes. When he was first
diagnosed, he insisted that the dietician come up with a menu for him that
was either fast food or takeout. She did. And he ate that way for a while.
But then he got sick of eating the same things over and over again. So he
started eating in more restaurants as opposed to fast food. But he still
doesn't cook.

I guess we all have our own priorities.
--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

Ira Jamison 15-11-2003 06:07 AM

Learn To Cook

Even before being diag. I loved to cook.
Now it is more challenging to change the recipes that I used for years and
cutting the carbs and still taste good.
I have always liked vegetables but now that I am eating more rabbit food I
am rather tired of the whole bunch. You can only cook,steam, fry, bake
vegetables so many times that they finaly blend into a disgusting food
group. Hee Hee.

The thought for the day is I don't want to be a diabetic any more!!!!!!
Oh,well, it was the thought that counted.

Now that it is Thanksgiving time in the States, I get the eat turkey breast
insted of chicken breast. "Sigh"

I still like to cook and eat home cooked meals and I thank God for my wife
and her cooking skills.

I can never figure out how her roast comes out so nice and tender and mine
is like a stepping stone from the padio. Realy!!
She has stood beside me and guided me step by step on baking a roast and it
still comes out like a brick. She just laughs and says it is the magic
womans touch. I still think she has put some sort of curse on my roasts. hee
Hee

Ira T2

Pete 15-11-2003 01:20 PM

Learn To Cook

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 11:50:40 +1100, Alan
> wrote:

>Learn to Cook
>It's interesting to notice, in reading the various threads on diet, that
>posters here seem to fall into one of three categories:
>Those who enjoy cooking; those who cannot cook;
>______________________________________

> and those who can cook,
>but only do it because they have to.

I fall into that category.

>My research after diagnosis led me to two startling revelations for an
>obese T2. I needed to lose a lot of weight and I needed to control my
>blood glucose. Of course, there are other factors, but those two were
>paramount.

>It is a never-ending task, but I believe it was much easier for me to
>achieve reasonable weight and control because I am a person who enjoys
>cooking. It allows me to be the one who controls what goes into the
>recipe by type and quantity, to control the size of portions, and to
>experiment by testing the results.

>I can only imagine the stress it places on a relationship when the
>diabetic is trying to tactfully tell the cook that the new dessert is
>either too many carbs or so full of Splenda it tastes horrible. Or that
>they now need five meals a day, and so on. Illness places enough stress
>on relationships without that.

In my case I am very lucky [not really I picked her for her
'underlying traits' <g>] my wife is a very good cook from
the 'old school'. She never ceases to amaze me the way she
seemingly produces brilliant meals out of nothing!! There is
no way i could ever compete. Her baking is to die for. In
over 30 years together, she has onlt ever served a meal that
I refused to eat but that caused no problem since she
refused as well!!! LOL.

As I learned about foods post diagnosis, she looked upon the
sittuation as her mission to make sure I was fed correctly.
We learned together. She eats virtually the same as I do,
ammount/type/ etc. so there is no problem in catering for
differing needs. Occasionally there are slight differences
but not so's you'd notice.

>There is also a continual search by non-cooks for "safe" pre-prepared
>foods in the supermarket, like the pop-corn thread at the moment, or
>"safe" fast foods and restaurant foods.

True IMO - we were just discussing the subject over dinner
last night.

>Some people are forced to eat out, by work or local social requirement;
>and fast or pre-prepared foods are convenient.

Only because they know no other way to deal with the
problem.

>But I am starting to
>believe that one of the best things a diabetic can do for their health
>is to cook for themselves at home.

In my case I'd die of starvation <VBG>

>Cheers Alan, T2, Oz

Pete

Diagnosed 20/03/03 Type II D&E + Metformin + Gliclazide
+ Asprin 210lbs at Dx to target 174lbs achieved.
Now 171lbs. To mail: aspen3 at freeuk.com