Vicki Beausoleil

Default Bread and Butter Pickles

We have discussed Bread and Butter Pickles here in the past. They're not
terribly diabetic-friendly. Here's a recipe I wish I had gotten during
cuke season.

Bread and Butter Pickles

3 pounds cucumbers
3/4 pound onions
1/4 cup pickling salt
3 cups white vinegar
3 cups Splenda Granular
1 1/2 tblsp. celery seed
1 1/2 tblsp. mustard seed
1/2 tsp. turmeric

Thoroughly wash cucmbers. Slice unpeeled cucumbers into 1/8 inch thick
slices to measure 12 cups. Slice onions the same thickness to measure 1
1/2 cups.

In a large bowl, layer cucumbers and onions lightly sprinkling each
layer with pickling salt. Cover and let stand at least 3 hours. Drain.
Rinse well in colander with cold water; drain thoroughly.

In large stainless steel or enamel saucepan, combine remaining
ingredients. Bring to a boil. Stir in well drained vegetables and return
to full boil. Remove from heat.

Pack vegetables into hot sterilized 1 or 2 cup canning jars. Pour liquid
over, covering vegetables and leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Apply 2-piece
canning lids that have been in boiling water 5 minutes. Process in
boiling water bath 10 minutes. Cool and check for seal. Store in cool
dark location.

Makes 7 cups

Per 1/4 cup serving

24 calories
0.6 g protein
0.3 g fat
5.6 g carbohydrates

Vicki
Jmmbear

In article >, Vicki Beausoleil
> writes:

>We have discussed Bread and Butter Pickles here in the past. They're not
>terribly diabetic-friendly. Here's a recipe I wish I had gotten during
>cuke season.

MT Olive pickle company makes Bread and Butter pickles sweetned with Splenda..
Much more diabetic friendly.. They are actually almost too sweet for me..
As always YMMV and this is JMO
Jeanne Type 2 Diagnosed 05/28/02
189/154/120
K'neH'a'Iw

Jmmbear wrote:
> In article >, Vicki Beausoleil
> > writes:
>

>>We have discussed Bread and Butter Pickles here in the past. They're not
>>terribly diabetic-friendly. Here's a recipe I wish I had gotten during
>>cuke season.
>>

> MT Olive pickle company makes Bread and Butter pickles sweetned with Splenda..
> Much more diabetic friendly.. They are actually almost too sweet for me..
> As always YMMV and this is JMO
> Jeanne Type 2 Diagnosed 05/28/02
> 189/154/120

They also make Gerkins and sweet relish made with Splenda. The
Gerkins make great snacks. If you can find them.

--
K'neH'a'Iw

Uncloaking, Shields up.

Jmmbear

In article >, K'neH'a'Iw
> writes:

>> MT Olive pickle company makes Bread and Butter pickles sweetned with

>Splenda..
>> Much more diabetic friendly.. They are actually almost too sweet for me..
>> As always YMMV and this is JMO
>> Jeanne Type 2 Diagnosed 05/28/02
>> 189/154/120

>They also make Gerkins and sweet relish made with Splenda. The
>Gerkins make great snacks. If you can find them.
>
>--
>K'neH'a'Iw
>
>Uncloaking, Shields up.

Thanks I didnt realize that.. Something new.. Cool..Thanks again..
As always YMMV and this is JMO
Jeanne Type 2 Diagnosed 05/28/02
189/154/120
Julie Bove

"K'neH'a'Iw" > wrote in message

> They also make Gerkins and sweet relish made with Splenda. The
> Gerkins make great snacks. If you can find them.

I just bought the Gherkins. Haven't tried them yet.

--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

Francina