Peanutjake

Default Bread-makers hurt by low-carb diets.

Interesting article.

http://tinyurl.com/uaqh

Priscilla Ballou

In article >,
"Peanutjake" > wrote:

> Interesting article.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/uaqh

"The Wheat Food Council's Adams, who is based in Colorado, believes
low-carb diets are just another fad." What a shock!

Those pastry bakers have a golden opportunity to produce high-fat
low-carb goodies. I'd buy 'em!

Sugarfree Napoleons and eclairs? Sugarfree cheesecakes? What's holding
them back?

Priscilla
Pete

On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 13:40:57 -0500, "Peanutjake"
> wrote:

>Interesting article.
>http://tinyurl.com/uaqh

I think they ought to consider responding to what the
customer wants as opposed to whinging that the customer no
longer wants what they want to sell.

Adapt or die...........sorry no sympathy whatsoever.

Pete

Diagnosed 20/03/03 Type II D&E + Metformin + Gliclazide
+ Asprin 210lbs at Dx to target 174lbs achieved.
Now 171lbs. To mail: aspen3 at freeuk.com
Ozgirl

"Pete" > wrote in message

> Adapt or die...........sorry no sympathy whatsoever.

Exactly, it's how they started business - catering for present needs, now
times have changed and businesses need to adapt to current trends.

Colleen

I buy a low carb bread from a Wisc. baker. I've talked about it before.
Unfortunately, I think they've discovered their new cash-cow because the
price keeps going up! I'm waiting for the competition to start making some,
then the price will drop agian.

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Pete" > wrote in message
>
> > Adapt or die...........sorry no sympathy whatsoever.

> Exactly, it's how they started business - catering for present needs, now
> times have changed and businesses need to adapt to current trends.

hemyd

Here in Melbourne Australia the other day I tried a cereal that advertised
in bold letters "Low GI". Yes, the carb content was marginally lower than
other cereals. Unfortunately after eating a small bowl of that with milk, my
maximum bg went to an astronomic 12.3 (about 220). People should not believe
advertised cab counts but, as usual, rely on their meter.

Henry

"Colleen" }> wrote in message
> I buy a low carb bread from a Wisc. baker. I've talked about it before.
> Unfortunately, I think they've discovered their new cash-cow because the
> price keeps going up! I'm waiting for the competition to start making

some,
> then the price will drop agian.
>
> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Pete" > wrote in message
> >
> > > Adapt or die...........sorry no sympathy whatsoever.

> > Exactly, it's how they started business - catering for present needs,

now
> > times have changed and businesses need to adapt to current trends.

Colleen

This is actually a decent tasting bread and doesn't do anything nasty to my
BG. Even their regular bread is only 7-9 carbs per slice. It's whole grain
and very high fiber. Frankly, I hardly remember what white bread tastes
like!

"hemyd" > wrote in message
> Here in Melbourne Australia the other day I tried a cereal that advertised
> in bold letters "Low GI". Yes, the carb content was marginally lower than
> other cereals. Unfortunately after eating a small bowl of that with milk,

my
> maximum bg went to an astronomic 12.3 (about 220). People should not

believe
> advertised cab counts but, as usual, rely on their meter.
>
> Henry
>
> "Colleen" }> wrote in message
> > I buy a low carb bread from a Wisc. baker. I've talked about it before.
> > Unfortunately, I think they've discovered their new cash-cow because the
> > price keeps going up! I'm waiting for the competition to start making

> some,
> > then the price will drop agian.

> > > Exactly, it's how they started business - catering for present needs,

> now
> > > times have changed and businesses need to adapt to current trends.

Pete

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 06:59:51 +1100, "Ozgirl"
> wrote:

>"Pete" > wrote in message

>> Adapt or die...........sorry no sympathy whatsoever.

>Exactly, it's how they started business - catering for present needs, now
>times have changed and businesses need to adapt to current trends.

Indeed.

Now 171lbs. To mail: aspen3 at freeuk.com
Pete

On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 14:11:15 -0600, "Colleen"
}> wrote:

>I buy a low carb bread from a Wisc. baker. I've talked about it before.
>Unfortunately, I think they've discovered their new cash-cow because the
>price keeps going up! I'm waiting for the competition to start making some,
>then the price will drop agian.

[snip]

That figures......greed. Panic! They fail to understand that
they can make the same profit by not increasing retail
price. Turnover would increase.

I'll tell you what.....the wholemeal bread i use I prefer to
the other stuff I had been using before.

Now 171lbs. To mail: aspen3 at freeuk.com
Colleen

I'm going to start baking my own again now that the weathers fricking cold!

"Pete" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 14:11:15 -0600, "Colleen"
> }> wrote:
>
> >I buy a low carb bread from a Wisc. baker. I've talked about it before.
> >Unfortunately, I think they've discovered their new cash-cow because the
> >price keeps going up! I'm waiting for the competition to start making

some,
> >then the price will drop agian.

> [snip]
>

> That figures......greed. Panic! They fail to understand that
> they can make the same profit by not increasing retail
> price. Turnover would increase.
>
> I'll tell you what.....the wholemeal bread i use I prefer to
> the other stuff I had been using before.
>
> Pete
>
> Diagnosed 20/03/03 Type II D&E + Metformin + Gliclazide
> + Asprin 210lbs at Dx to target 174lbs achieved.
> Now 171lbs. To mail: aspen3 at freeuk.com

Alan

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 07:37:26 +1100, "hemyd" >
wrote:

>Here in Melbourne Australia the other day I tried a cereal that advertised
>in bold letters "Low GI". Yes, the carb content was marginally lower than
>other cereals. Unfortunately after eating a small bowl of that with milk, my
>maximum bg went to an astronomic 12.3 (about 220). People should not believe
>advertised cab counts but, as usual, rely on their meter.
>
>Henry

Hi Henry

I notice that the Glycaemic Index is being used out here to advertise
breakfast cereals and "health foods" to the non-diabetic general
public. Seems to be the post-lo-carb new health fad.

When you read the labels there is no apparent difference that I can
see.

Cheers Alan, T2, Oz
dx May 2002, diet and not enough exercise.
Julie Bove

"Colleen" }> wrote in message
> I'm going to start baking my own again now that the weathers fricking

cold!

Me too! I've got a few whole grain bread mixes to start with. I used to
make it from scratch, but I figured these would be easier for my daughter to
work with. I am hoping to get a bread machine for Xmas.

--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

vguidera

"Colleen" }> wrote in message
> This is actually a decent tasting bread and doesn't do anything nasty to

my
> BG. Even their regular bread is only 7-9 carbs per slice. It's whole

grain
> and very high fiber. Frankly, I hardly remember what white bread tastes
> like!

Heres a crash course. It tastes like whatever you put on it and if it gets
too soggy it tends to disolve in your hands.

hemyd

I've tried whole grain, multi grain, light rye, sour dough.... unfortunately
they all shoot my bg up sky high at breakfast and lunch time. The only way I
can enjoy any bread is by having no more than one small thin slice at a
time. Either that or, if I have two slices, excercise furiously afterwards
to work it off.

Henry

"Colleen" }> wrote in message
> This is actually a decent tasting bread and doesn't do anything nasty to

my
> BG. Even their regular bread is only 7-9 carbs per slice. It's whole

grain
> and very high fiber. Frankly, I hardly remember what white bread tastes
> like!
>

> "hemyd" > wrote in message
> > Here in Melbourne Australia the other day I tried a cereal that

advertised
> > in bold letters "Low GI". Yes, the carb content was marginally lower

than
> > other cereals. Unfortunately after eating a small bowl of that with

milk,
> my
> > maximum bg went to an astronomic 12.3 (about 220). People should not

> believe
> > advertised cab counts but, as usual, rely on their meter.
> >
> > Henry
> >
> > "Colleen" }> wrote in message
> > > I buy a low carb bread from a Wisc. baker. I've talked about it

before.
> > > Unfortunately, I think they've discovered their new cash-cow because

the
> > > price keeps going up! I'm waiting for the competition to start making

> > some,
> > > then the price will drop agian.

needs,
> > now

hemyd

G'day Alan,

When I saw that cereal in the local supermarket, with it's large "Low GI"
emblem on the box, I thought "Yeah, right..." but bought a small packet just
to see for myself. After getting the expected high bg readings I emailed the
company with my results, suggesting they get back to the drawing board.
Never heard back from them. It's as you say. They are cashing in on the
low-carb fad. (anyone for synthetic corn flakes?)

Henry

"Alan" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 07:37:26 +1100, "hemyd" >
> wrote:
>
> >Here in Melbourne Australia the other day I tried a cereal that

advertised
> >in bold letters "Low GI". Yes, the carb content was marginally lower than
> >other cereals. Unfortunately after eating a small bowl of that with milk,

my
> >maximum bg went to an astronomic 12.3 (about 220). People should not

believe
> >advertised cab counts but, as usual, rely on their meter.
> >
> >Henry

> Hi Henry
>
> I notice that the Glycaemic Index is being used out here to advertise
> breakfast cereals and "health foods" to the non-diabetic general
> public. Seems to be the post-lo-carb new health fad.
>
> When you read the labels there is no apparent difference that I can
> see.
>
> Cheers Alan, T2, Oz
> dx May 2002, diet and not enough exercise.
> --
> Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.

Alan

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 17:56:30 +1100, "hemyd" >
wrote:

>G'day Alan,
>
>When I saw that cereal in the local supermarket, with it's large "Low GI"
>emblem on the box, I thought "Yeah, right..." but bought a small packet just
>to see for myself. After getting the expected high bg readings I emailed the
>company with my results, suggesting they get back to the drawing board.
>Never heard back from them. It's as you say. They are cashing in on the
>low-carb fad. (anyone for synthetic corn flakes?)
>
>Henry

I've had unexpected answers from companies sometimes - live in hope.

By the way, I presume this is the supermarket you stole the trolley
from?

Cheers Alan, T2, Oz
dx May 2002, diet and not enough exercise.

Low fa diets hurt children Beach Runner Vegan 3 23-11-2005 05:22 PM
Another site warning people about low carb diets: http://atkinsfacts.org/ Steve Vegan 3 10-08-2004 02:38 PM
Low Carb Bread gondial Sourdough 19 03-07-2004 05:44 PM
Low Carb Bread Recipe kiltyone Diabetic 9 12-05-2004 05:23 AM
Pizza Makers Consider Low-Carb Dough Jennifer Diabetic 4 04-02-2004 03:11 AM