FoodBanter.com

-   -   Holiday recipe: Boston Cream Pie (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/13778-holiday-recipe-boston-cream.html)

Gregory Gadow 05-11-2003 03:08 PM

Holiday recipe: Boston Cream Pie

I love to cook, and it has been a fun challenge to come up with foods
that fit my eating plan. So, I'm thinking of starting a recipe column
here. Do an appetizer on Monday, salad on Tuesday, side dish on
Wednesday, entree on Thursday and dessert on Friday, giving a complete
meal a week. Sound interesting?

Anyway, here is a sample. This is my recipe and not one I got out of a
book. See if you can find sugar-free angel food cake, or use thinner
slices of regular cake. I hope you enjoy :-)

Boston Cream Pie

Mix up a package of Jell-O Sugar Free Instant vanilla pudding. Add 1
teaspoon rum flavoring, if desired. Put in refrigerator and chill.

To make each serving, take two thin slices of angel-food cake, no more
than half an inch thick each. Put one slice on a dessert plate and top
with a portion of the prepared pudding (about two tablespoons), spread
slightly. Place the second slice of cake on top and crown with one more
tablespoon of pudding. Sprinkle lightly with unsweetened cocoa powder.
--
Gregory Gadow

http://www.serv.net/~techbear

"If you make yourself a sheep, the wolves will eat you."
-- Benjamin Franklin

Vicki Beausoleil 05-11-2003 05:59 PM

Gregory Gadow wrote:

> I love to cook, and it has been a fun challenge to come up with foods
> that fit my eating plan. So, I'm thinking of starting a recipe column
> here. Do an appetizer on Monday, salad on Tuesday, side dish on
> Wednesday, entree on Thursday and dessert on Friday, giving a complete
> meal a week. Sound interesting?
>
> Anyway, here is a sample. This is my recipe and not one I got out of a
> book. See if you can find sugar-free angel food cake, or use thinner
> slices of regular cake. I hope you enjoy :-)
>
> Boston Cream Pie
>
> Mix up a package of Jell-O Sugar Free Instant vanilla pudding. Add 1
> teaspoon rum flavoring, if desired. Put in refrigerator and chill.
>
> To make each serving, take two thin slices of angel-food cake, no more
> than half an inch thick each. Put one slice on a dessert plate and top
> with a portion of the prepared pudding (about two tablespoons), spread
> slightly. Place the second slice of cake on top and crown with one more
> tablespoon of pudding. Sprinkle lightly with unsweetened cocoa powder.
> --
> Gregory Gadow

http://www.serv.net/~techbear

> "If you make yourself a sheep, the wolves will eat you."
> -- Benjamin Franklin

Hi Gregory

I'd love to see what you're doing in the kitchen...

Here's an angel food cake if you're interested.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Raspberry Angel Food Cake

Recipe By : Taste of Home Magazine
Serving Size : 16 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cakes

10 egg whites
1 1/4 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup cake flour
2 cups fresh raspberries

In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites until frothy; beat in cream of tartar
until soft peaks form. Add the extracts. Gradually beat in sugar until
stiff; scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Sift flour over beaten
whites; sprinkle with berries. Gently fold flour and raspberries into
batter until well mixed. Pour into an ungreased 10 inch tube pan. Bake
at 325 degrees F for 40 - 45 minutes until lightly browned and entire
top appears dry. Immediately invert cake pan; cool completely, about 1
hour.

One serving equals 1 starch. 65 calories, 35 mg sodium, 0 cholesterol,
13 g carbohydrate, 3 g protein, trace fat.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Vicki

Gregory Gadow 06-11-2003 02:27 PM

Vicki Beausoleil wrote:

> Gregory Gadow wrote:
> >
> > I love to cook, and it has been a fun challenge to come up with foods
> > that fit my eating plan. So, I'm thinking of starting a recipe column
> > here. Do an appetizer on Monday, salad on Tuesday, side dish on
> > Wednesday, entree on Thursday and dessert on Friday, giving a complete
> > meal a week. Sound interesting?
> >
> > Anyway, here is a sample. This is my recipe and not one I got out of a
> > book. See if you can find sugar-free angel food cake, or use thinner
> > slices of regular cake. I hope you enjoy :-)
> >
> > Boston Cream Pie
> >
> > Mix up a package of Jell-O Sugar Free Instant vanilla pudding. Add 1
> > teaspoon rum flavoring, if desired. Put in refrigerator and chill.
> >
> > To make each serving, take two thin slices of angel-food cake, no more
> > than half an inch thick each. Put one slice on a dessert plate and top
> > with a portion of the prepared pudding (about two tablespoons), spread
> > slightly. Place the second slice of cake on top and crown with one more
> > tablespoon of pudding. Sprinkle lightly with unsweetened cocoa powder.
> > --
> > Gregory Gadow

http://www.serv.net/~techbear

> > "If you make yourself a sheep, the wolves will eat you."
> > -- Benjamin Franklin

> Hi Gregory
>
> I'd love to see what you're doing in the kitchen...
>
> Here's an angel food cake if you're interested.
>
> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Raspberry Angel Food Cake
>
> Recipe By : Taste of Home Magazine
> Categories : Cakes

> 10 egg whites
> 1 1/4 teaspoons cream of tartar
> 1 teaspoon vanilla
> 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
> 1/2 cup sugar
> 1 cup cake flour
> 2 cups fresh raspberries
>
> In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites until frothy; beat in cream of tartar
> until soft peaks form. Add the extracts. Gradually beat in sugar until
> stiff; scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Sift flour over beaten
> whites; sprinkle with berries. Gently fold flour and raspberries into
> batter until well mixed. Pour into an ungreased 10 inch tube pan. Bake
> at 325 degrees F for 40 - 45 minutes until lightly browned and entire
> top appears dry. Immediately invert cake pan; cool completely, about 1
> hour.
>
> One serving equals 1 starch. 65 calories, 35 mg sodium, 0 cholesterol,
> 13 g carbohydrate, 3 g protein, trace fat.
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Ooo, yummy! I'll have to give this one a try, thanks :-) About how big is a
serving?

Vicki Beausoleil 07-11-2003 12:17 AM

Gregory Gadow wrote:

> [...]

> > stiff; scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Sift flour over beaten
> > whites; sprinkle with berries. Gently fold flour and raspberries into
> > batter until well mixed. Pour into an ungreased 10 inch tube pan. Bake
> > at 325 degrees F for 40 - 45 minutes until lightly browned and entire
> > top appears dry. Immediately invert cake pan; cool completely, about 1
> > hour.
> >
> > One serving equals 1 starch. 65 calories, 35 mg sodium, 0 cholesterol,
> > 13 g carbohydrate, 3 g protein, trace fat.
> >
> > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

> Ooo, yummy! I'll have to give this one a try, thanks :-) About how big is a
> serving?
> --
> Gregory Gadow

http://www.serv.net/~techbear

> "If you make yourself a sheep, the wolves will eat you."

The cake has 16 servings for a standard tube pan. That's not huge, but
it's decent.
Don't forget to 'hang' your angel food cake as soon as it comes out of
the oven, otherwise it will deflate. If your pan doesn't have little
tabs on it to prop it up when you flip it over, put the cake pan
upside-down over a soda or wine bottle.

If you want to lighten the filling for the Boston Cream Pie, fold in
some whipped cream sweetened with the sweetener of your choice. A nice
artificially sweetened Bavarian Cream. A few shakes of cocoa powder in
the mix would go nicely for a touch of chocolate...It's also good to use
in a parfait with some fresh berries.

Vicki