Old 05-11-2003, 04:15 PM
Wmkcross

Default Cola or diet cola?

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 14:44:08 GMT, Priscilla Ballou
wrote:

When my BG goes too high, I get sleepy.
Priscilla

I'm looking at my chart regarding Hyperglycemia (high blood glucose)
Drowsiness is definately a symptom.

regards
bill

Old 05-11-2003, 06:01 PM
Julie Bove

Default sleepies in front of the TV

"Siobhan Perricone" wrote in message
On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 23:34:01 -0500, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

That's one reason why I don't like TV or movies very much. Both put me

sleep very quickly. I can only manage to stay awake if it is something I
really want to watch.

This is why you need a TiVo! There's always something I want to watch
on it because I've asked mine to go out and find me things I like to

watch!
Though, I will grant, I consider movie watching one of my hobbies, so

do watch a lot of movies on TV. The great thing about TiVo is that there's
always a movie I want to see, and I don't end up wandering around the
channels on a lazy Sunday afternoon looking for something to watch when
there isn't anything that interests me.

TiVo wouldn't help me one bit. First, there has to be a good movie for me
to want to watch. I haven't been to a movie in a theater in about 6 years.
And in all my adult life (am 44 now), I can only think of maybe 3 or 4
movies that I really wanted to see, enough to where I went to the theater.
I have digital cable. I have a ton of channels and there is a wide variety
of stuff to watch. I just don't care for any of it.

I'm also able to compress my watching time because I can skip the
commercials easily (or hop back to see them if I want), which is faster
than just fast forwarding through them. Though most of the movies I watch
don't have commercials, we are watching, uhm, five broadcast shows.
*counts* Alias, 24, Malcolm in the Middle, ER, nope, looks like four
broadcast shows. The other series we watch is Jeremiah, but that's on
Showtime. Anyway, the great thing is we can watch these any time and the
quality is much better than on a tape.

I can't be bothered to watch a tape of anything. I don't own a DVD player,
but will probably eventually have to get one simply because I have a kid.
People have given me movies as gifts. I've loaned them out, but have never
watched them and probably ever will. I could really care less about
quality. Some of my favorite movies were really low budget independent
flims. To me, plot is almost everything. Acting is second in line. I
don't give a fig about special effects or any of those other things. I did
see Malcolm in the Middle a few times. At least a few minutes of it.
Didn't care for it. Honestly, I could live without a TV. There are a few
shows I like, mainly on BBC America, but if I couldn't watch them, it
wouldn't bother me in the least.

--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

Anyway, I guess my point is just if you had a TiVo, you'd probably be
surprised at how much stuff there is out that that's actually interesting.
I get lots of interesting documentaries that I never had time to search

for
in the listings before.

--
Siobhan Perricone
"Who would have thought that a bad Austrian artist who's obsessed with the

human physical ideal could assemble such a rabid political following?"
- www.theonion.com

Old 05-11-2003, 08:07 PM
Juan Antonio

I've coveted Tivo for years because I thought I could live without it. Now
that I have it, I LOVE my Tivo. (I also have DirecTV, which is also very
cool.)

If you have a particular show that you watch, you can program it to tape the
whole season, so you don't have to keep setting the VCR every week. Also,
you can set it to record all episodes, or just the first runs.

I have mine set to watch for key words like "diabetes" and it finds shows
that are about diabetes and records them. So far it's found a couple of
shows that were interesting which I never would have known about to watch
otherwise.

So back to your original dilemma, Tivo will help you find things you really
want to watch so maybe you'll have a better chance of staying interested and
staying awake.

BTW, it's all menu driven and easy to set up and use. I'm hoping my mom
will get one to help her record shows, which she probably wouldn't take the
time to do on a VCR because it's so tedious. With the Tivo, she could
actually enjoy TV when she wants to.

(That's another thing, you don't have to wait for it to stop recording
before you watch that recording. So, for example, if you are wanting to
watch a particular show, but want to fast forward through the commercials,
wait until it has recorded about 15-30 minutes and then you can fast forward
through the commercials.)

In case this hasn't been discussed, it also allows you to pause and rewind
live TV that you are watching. So, if you missed the last phrase someone
said, and you want to know what it was, you can go back and pick it up.

I knjow this is WAY OT, but I hope it's helpful.

--
Antonio in Los Angeles
Age 37, Type 1 for 10 years

Old 05-11-2003, 08:48 PM
Nan Eklund

Had Type 2 for 10 or 12 years. I get sleepy when BG is too high and shaky when
it's too low. Internal warning system seems to be working well.
Nan, Type 2
Old 06-11-2003, 08:28 PM
Brad Sheppard

There's a lot of cool stuff on cable tv for any interest. Hmm - maybe
I'll get Tivo for my satellite syste,.

Old 15-11-2003, 07:09 PM

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 21:58:51 -0500, Mack
wrote:

really? It's a very common symptom.

I'm beginning to see that - and I'm learning more and more about
diabetes every day, thanks to everyone in the diabetic ng's.

Cindi
Old 15-11-2003, 07:09 PM

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 23:16:49 -0500, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

I get sleepy. In fact, I was so sleepy prior to diagnosis that people were
joking about it. Now when I get really sleepy like that, I test my BG.
I've had highs and lows with exactly the same symptoms.

I was talking to one of my uncles on Sunday, and he told me that when
my cousin (who is a T1 ever since he was about 10) was first DXd, all
he wanted to do was sleep all the time. I don't remember it.

Cindi
Old 02-02-2006, 06:25 AM posted to alt.support.diabetes,misc.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in
:

I get sleepy. In fact, I was so sleepy prior to diagnosis that
people were joking about it. Now when I get really sleepy like
that, I test my BG. I've had highs and lows with exactly the
same symptoms.

My wife is the diabetic in the family. Her experience was the
same as yours. Before diagnosis she was tired all the time. Her
fasting blood glucose was 450, A1C was 15.1. Ever since she got
better control, she not tired like that. Often the symptoms of
hyper and hypo conditions are the same. You have to test to be
sure.

Larry