Default Napoli Sauce

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 09:02:34 +1000, wrote:

>Bulk Napoli Sauce
>
>Basic units:
>
>1 can (about 400g or 14 oz) peeled tomatoes,
>or fresh equivalent.
>1 medium onion, chopped
>¼ cup tomato paste (optional)
>1 clove of garlic, minced
>olive oil
>1 teaspoon of dried basil or a few chopped leaves.
>cracked black pepper to taste
>salt to taste
>
>Sweat the chopped onion in a large pot over medium heat until
>translucent but not brown. Use a little olive oil to prevent sticking
>to the pot.
>Add the minced garlic and cook until also translucent.
>Chop the tomatoes and add to the pot. For large quantities drain the
>liquid into the onion mix and use a processor for the solids in
>batches.
>Add the basil and bring to a slow covered simmer.
>Allow to simmer as long as possible, but at least an hour, until the
>tomato breaks down and the onion seems to almost disappear.
>Check and stir occasionally to prevent sticking; add a little water if
>the mixture gets too thick.
>When the sauce is cooked it should be thickish but still liquid and
>pourable. Adjust seasoning near the end.
>For a richer, thicker sauce add the tomato paste towards the finish
>and cook while stirring until it is cooked in. If you add it too early
>you will need to watch more closely for sticking.
>
>For bulk cooking I just multiply; usually I cook about six cans worth.
>How much you cook depends on the size of your saucepan/cooker and
>storage/freezing facilities.
>
>As you increase the quantity you may need to adjust the onion, garlic
>and basil quantities down a little in proportion.
>
>Bon Appetit
>
>Cheers Alan, T2, Oz

Hullo Again

I'm posting a few recipes using this sauce after this.
I don't pretend to be the world's greatest cook, but I have tried to
develop meals and snacks that can be prepared reasonably easily, often
in advance, and still be low saturated fat and low carb.

Comments and advice are welcome.
I don't live on tomato, basil and cheese (although I could :-),
this is just a part of the menu.

Any measurements are imprecise, my own measurements tend to be
handfuls, bunches, slurps and smidgins.

Bon Appetit

Cheers Alan, T2, Oz