FoodBanter.com

-   -   Butter replacement comments? (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/13756-butter-replacement-comments.html)

t2_lurking 17-10-2003 03:00 PM

Butter replacement comments?

I'm ready to wean myself off butter.
I've seen all the butter replacements in the store and I'm looking for
commments on what people are using instead.
Thanks!

One of the reasons I'm asking is I recently came across this bread
and I want to add it my eating regime. It hardly spikes me at all.

INGREDIENTS:
White Wheat Flour, Vital Wheat Gluten,
White Wheat Bran, Ground Yellow Flaxseed,
Sunflower Seeds, Millet Seeds, Quick Oats,
Soy Flour, Crystalline Corn Fructose,
Sunflower Oil, Yeast, Soy Protein,
Filtered Water, Salt.

VITAMINS & MINERALS:
Calcium Carbonate, Magnesium Oxide,
Zinc Oxide, Choline, Maganese Oxide,
Niacin, Calcium Gluconate, Vitamin B6,
Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Beta Carotene,
Selenium, Vitamin D2, Vitamin B12.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 Slice
Servings per package 20

Amount per Serving

Calories 70 Calories from Fat 22

Total Fat 4g 5%
Saturated Fat 0g 0%
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 80mg 3%
Total Carbohydrates 7g 1%
Dietary Fiber 4g 36%
Sugars 2g
Protein 8g

Omega-3 300mg

Vitamin A 5%
Riboflavin 10%
Calcium 10%
Vitamin B6 15%
Potassium 0%
Vitamin B12 15%
Niacin 10%
Magnesium 10%
Folate 15%
Thiamin 10%
Zinc 20%
Selenium 0%
Vitamin C 0%
Pantothenate 0%
Iron 10%
Vitamin E 0%

Gregory Gadow 17-10-2003 03:35 PM

t2_lurking wrote:

> I'm ready to wean myself off butter.
> I've seen all the butter replacements in the store and I'm looking for
> commments on what people are using instead.
> Thanks!

I've switched to olive oil mostly as a butter substitute when I cook, and
use teflon pans so the couple of drops just for added crispness when
needed. I sometimes use a touch of olive or sesame seed oil for flavor
after the dish has been cooked (a spash of sesame seed oil in chicken soup
adds a nice, exotic touch with only a tiny bit of added fat.) Following a
trick I learned from my grandmother, I have a small "spritz" bottle with a
light weight oil blend I can use as a custom mixed "spray on non-stick
flavor spray", suitable for both frying and as a salad dressing.

I still use butter on rare occasions, but it might take me two months to
go through a 1 lb. box.
--
Gregory Gadow

http://www.serv.net/~techbear

"If you make yourself a sheep, the wolves will eat you."
-- Benjamin Franklin

t2_lurking 17-10-2003 03:55 PM

Butter replacement comments?

Let me rephrase this,
What people are Spreading instead.

Gregory Gadow 17-10-2003 06:14 PM

t2_lurking wrote:

> Let me rephrase this,
> What people are Spreading instead.

/shrug

Butter. It is very rare that I eat bread (muffins, bagels, etc.) any more;
when I am at a restaurant and decide that dinner roll looks good, I reach
for the real thing. I figure, if I'm going to indulge anyway, I'm going to
enjoy myself :-P

Dan 17-10-2003 06:31 PM

Butter replacement comments?

I like gregory's suggestion of Olive oil. Great flavor and you can add
seasonings.

More so I like the looks of the bread. What's the name? Where is it?

Dan

t2_lurking 17-10-2003 06:50 PM

Butter replacement comments?

I didn't want to mention it right away, I know people are sensitive about
such things.
Here's the link:
http://www.naturalovens.com/Products...arb_Bread.html
or http://tinyurl.com/rbhu
I bought some of their "Granola Bars" and they're pretty tasty.
I was just on the brink of making my own bread (I actually liberated the
bread machine from the lower kitchen cupboard) when I came across this
bread. Why bother making my own? It will never be as good as this stuff.
IMHO

--
t2_lurking
geabbottATabbottandabbottDOTcom

Peanutjake 17-10-2003 09:11 PM

"t2_lurking" > wrote in message
> Let me rephrase this,
> What people are Spreading instead.

I have given up spreading.

I don't use fats or oils.
PJ

Julie Bove 18-10-2003 02:26 AM

"t2_lurking" > wrote in message

> I'm ready to wean myself off butter.
> I've seen all the butter replacements in the store and I'm looking for
> commments on what people are using instead.
> Thanks!
>
> One of the reasons I'm asking is I recently came across this bread
> and I want to add it my eating regime. It hardly spikes me at all.

<snip>

I use Smart Balance spread. It comes in a regular or diet version. I
usually buy the regular one unless the diet is on sale for a cheaper price.
Olive oil is good too, but is best used with Italian food. Pour some in a
flat dish and dip your bread in it.

--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

[email protected] 18-10-2003 04:41 AM

Butter replacement comments?

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 21:26:07 -0400, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"t2_lurking" > wrote in message
>>
>> I'm ready to wean myself off butter.
>> I've seen all the butter replacements in the store and I'm looking for
>> commments on what people are using instead.
>> Thanks!
>>
>> One of the reasons I'm asking is I recently came across this bread
>> and I want to add it my eating regime. It hardly spikes me at all.

><snip>
>
>I use Smart Balance spread. It comes in a regular or diet version. I
>usually buy the regular one unless the diet is on sale for a cheaper price.
>Olive oil is good too, but is best used with Italian food. Pour some in a
>flat dish and dip your bread in it.

I don't know if you can get it there, but I use Flora pro-activ light.
Maybe Quentin can comment on it's value, it's one of those which
includes phytosterol ester (8% plant sterols) to reduce your
cholesterol.

Mine sits in the fridge and gets very occasional use. Every so often I
reckon it's got too old and throw it out and buy a replacement.

Cheers Alan, T2, Oz

Colleen 18-10-2003 04:21 PM

Butter replacement comments?

That's the bread I eat. It's really delicious. I use Smart Balance spread
when I use one. No trans-fats and it tastes pretty good. It's onw of the
cholesterol lowering spreads.

Richard Bollar 18-10-2003 06:17 PM

Butter replacement comments?

I would suggest something like Benecol, which has the nice side benefit of
lowering cholesterol.

--
T2 - HbA1c: 5.4%
http://www.bollar.org/diabetes.htm