Ted Rosenberg

Default Ice cream

cc'd by email

There is nothing wrong with ice cream, it is HOW MUCH

I tried all the special ice creams. Either they were actually high in
carbs, just low in "sugar", or they were MODERATE in carbs and VERY low
in taste.

I now eat good premium ice cream.

I rarely have more than a single tablespoon, I make sure that I cut out
other carbs (like bread) when I am planing to have ice cream, and I only
have some every month or so.

I find than a taste of good stuff is much better than a lot of lousy stuff.

Oh, and since my wife and son usually have some in the freezer, if I get
up with a late night hypo, I don't take glucose, or even sugared soda, I
take ICE CREAM, or something else good.

Linda wrote:

> I have never looked in on your group before but would really appreciate it
> if anyone has a diabetic ice cream recipe. My husband has type 2 diabetes
> and would love to have some again.
> Thanks.

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 13:57:32 -0400, Ted Rosenberg
> wrote:

>cc'd by email
>
>There is nothing wrong with ice cream, it is HOW MUCH
>
>I tried all the special ice creams. Either they were actually high in
>carbs, just low in "sugar", or they were MODERATE in carbs and VERY low
>in taste.
>
>I now eat good premium ice cream.
>
>I rarely have more than a single tablespoon, I make sure that I cut out
>other carbs (like bread) when I am planing to have ice cream, and I only
>have some every month or so.
>
>I find than a taste of good stuff is much better than a lot of lousy stuff.
>
>Oh, and since my wife and son usually have some in the freezer, if I get
>up with a late night hypo, I don't take glucose, or even sugared soda, I
>take ICE CREAM, or something else good.
>
>Linda wrote:
>
>> I have never looked in on your group before but would really appreciate it
>> if anyone has a diabetic ice cream recipe. My husband has type 2 diabetes
>> and would love to have some again.
>> Thanks.

Hi Linda. I have to agree with Ted, except that I eat a very small
serve a little more often. Read the labels carefully, particularly for
sugar, total fat and saturated fat.
I have found enormous differences, but the odd thing is that the
premium brands over here seem to be lowest in sugar and saturated fat.
Even within brands there can be significant variation between
different flavours.
One of the reasons I started to distrust my dietitian was that he
advised our diabetics course that ice-cream was a "free" food. I wish.

Cheers Alan, T2, Oz
Peanutjake

Read the labels.
Don't be fooled by "sugar free."
I have found some "regular" ice creams with less carbs than the "sugar free" varieties.

With diabetes, it is the amount of carbs in a food that counts. Not the amount of, or lack of sugar.

PJ

Siobhan Perricone

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 23:13:15 -0400, "Peanutjake" >
wrote:

>Read the labels.
>Don't be fooled by "sugar free."
>I have found some "regular" ice creams with less carbs than the "sugar free" varieties.
>
>With diabetes, it is the amount of carbs in a food that counts. Not the amount of, or lack of sugar.

Specifically Breyer's ice creams.

I've also found that most plain ole chocolate dipped ice cream bars are 12
to 14 carbs each. Which means they make a very nice little snack.

--
Siobhan Perricone
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or

You have a choice: www.deanforamerica.com
Feel free to contact me about him, he was my governor and "boss" for 10 years.

"If the percent of minorities in your state has anything to do with how you
can connect with how you can connect with African American voters, then
Trent Lott would be Martin Luther King, Jr." - Howard Dean
Linda

I know it must sound silly, we live in England and my husbands diabetic
nurse just tells him to cut right down on sugar and stay of off sauces in
foods.We know there are carbs in food such as potatoes,pasta and bread but
do not know how much is good or too much.
Thankyou for all your replies.

"Peanutjake" > wrote in message
> Read the labels.
> Don't be fooled by "sugar free."
> I have found some "regular" ice creams with less carbs than the "sugar

free" varieties.

> With diabetes, it is the amount of carbs in a food that counts. Not the

amount of, or lack of sugar.

> PJ

BJ in Texas

Linda wrote:
> I know it must sound silly, we live in England and my
> husbands diabetic nurse just tells him to cut right down on
> sugar and stay of off sauces in foods.We know there are carbs
> in food such as potatoes,pasta and bread but do not know how
> much is good or too much.
> Thankyou for all your replies.

Since this is a YMMV thing, the only way that you can tell how many and what
carbs he can eat is by monitoring his blood glucose levels. If he doesn't
have a blood glucose meter, get one. If he has one, start testing BGs before
and after meals (at one and two hours). This will give him an idea what he
can and can not eat, and how much.

BJ

Julie Bove

"Linda" > wrote in message
> I know it must sound silly, we live in England and my husbands diabetic
> nurse just tells him to cut right down on sugar and stay of off sauces in
> foods.We know there are carbs in food such as potatoes,pasta and bread but
> do not know how much is good or too much.
> Thankyou for all your replies.

Don't listen to the nurse. She is giving bad advice. Diabetics can pretty
much eat anything they want. It all boils down to a matter of portion size.
Now granted, that portion might be only one bite. And for that reason, some
of us choose to give up certain foods. Rice is now a no-no for me unless
it's just a few spoonfuls mixed into a soup. I'd advise your husband to see
a dietician, but from what I've heard, the dieticians in England aren't
doing the diabetics any favors either! Sugar is a carb, just as potatoes,
bread, fruit, corn, and many other foods. All will affect BG, but they
don't necessarily need to be avoided.

A simple way to look at diet is that a serving of something carb laden will
contain about 15 g of carb. How many servings your husband can eat at one
time is another matter. I can usually eat 2 servings for breakfast, and 3
for lunch and dinner. We're all different. The best way for him to find
out how foods affect him is to test his BG before eating and then two hours
after. If his BG is too high, then he ate too much.

--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

Peanutjake

"Linda" > wrote in message ...
> I know it must sound silly, we live in England and my husbands diabetic
> nurse just tells him to cut right down on sugar and stay of off sauces in
> foods.We know there are carbs in food such as potatoes,pasta and bread but
> do not know how much is good or too much.
> Thankyou for all your replies.

I have found that I can eat about 30g carbs at a meal without problems. More carbs than that give me
a spike.

Your results may vary.

PJ

Siobhan Perricone

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 15:47:55 +0100, "Linda" > wrote:

>I know it must sound silly, we live in England and my husbands diabetic
>nurse just tells him to cut right down on sugar and stay of off sauces in
>foods.We know there are carbs in food such as potatoes,pasta and bread but
>do not know how much is good or too much.
>Thankyou for all your replies.

You've been getting some good advice here, I'll just chime in with my
experience. Always remember that what goes for your husband could be
different and that's why it's so important that he start keeping track of
his BG levels himself.

I generally am higher in the mornings than I like. I range between 115 and
120, I could probably exercise more to bring that down, but my life isn't
cooperating at this point, so I'm making do by eating fewer carbs in the
morning. I'll have 10 or less total grams of carbs in the morning
(remember, fiber doesn't count as it doesn't impact BG). Lately I've been
having around a half cup to a cup of cottage cheese for breakfast (with
nice hot tea sweetened with Splenda [sucralose]). Some mornings I go for
no carbs and just have pork rinds. To me they taste sorta bacony. When I'm
at home for breakfast I often have eggs and bacon (and contrary to the
results I was told I'd get, when I stopped worrying about the fat intake
and focused on my BG, my cholesterol numbers actually went *down*,
something they hadn't done for 10 years). Anyway, I shoot for a very very
low carb breakfast.

Then for lunch I have between 20 and 50 carbs. This is usually some
"plastic lunch" (frozen, prepared TV dinner type thing) that I just nuke at
work. I buy them when they're on sale because I'm cheap. I might round
that out with some nuts (I find that nuts do not give me any sort of
serious spike at all and I can munch them happily as a snack). I usually
walk for 10 to 15 minutes after lunch.

For dinner I can usually get away with up to 100 carbs if I take a good
half hour walk within an hour after eating. Though I usually eat more like
30 to 50 carbs for dinner and walk for more like 10 to 15 minutes after.

I can usually get away with a lot of carbs at dinner, but if we're having a
special meal where I really splurge (like our anniversary on Monday) and
didn't pay any attention to carbs at all (couple of small slices of bread,
four-onion soup with a crouton and cheese, barbecue wild boars ribs and
carmelized onion pirogies, beef wellington and mash, then we shared *two*
desserts, a chocolate mousse cake and a cream cheese brownie thing, both
with berry coulis), I take a good strenuous walk afterwards. My two hours
post dinner was 103, and three hours was 119 (dinner took a while to eat,
it was at a fancy place, so I tested at 2 and 3 instead of 1 and 2). But,
the next morning my fasting was 131. So I usually pay for those splurges
in a higher-than-normal-but-still-not-completely-off-the-scale morning
spike.

This is why it's so important for your husband to start doing his own
testing and figuring out what foods do what to him. And really, I can't
stress this enough, because this is how we got our numbers (we're both
diabetic) under control within three months (my husband went from an A1c of
12.3 to one of 5.4 in six months). We walk after every meal. HE walks for
half an hour after every meal. He doesn't dawdle but he's not power
walking either. But he *has* been doing it for nearly a full year now,
after every meal with only a very few times when he had to walk before.
He's not missed for nearly a year. I am not so vigorous about it (like
last night I was too tired, but then I only had 8 carbs for dinner). You
need to just get up and move around, do chores, do dishes, vaccuum. Save
those things for after a meal. Then do them within an hour or so after
eating. It just makes a huge difference in the numbers.

--
Siobhan Perricone
"Ok, I know a whole generation has been raised on a notion of