Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Cauliflower: How could it cause such

"RodS" > wrote in message

> How about popcorn?

Yep. I think that's American!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>
>> I don't generally look at meals as wonderful. Don't think I ever have.
>> More like something I have to do to survive. Don't think I've ever eaten
>> any food I would classify as superb. Not sure even what that would be.
>> I do like things like dried beans, bell peppers and celery, but I can't
>> say they are superb. Sorry. I just think there are better things in
>> life to get excited about than food.

> Interesting, I wonder why? My first father in law detested meat. It
> appears he used to have raw meat and liver held over his mouth to entice
> the tapeworm that he didn't have out of his body. Sadly he used to make a
> huge thing about it at the dinner table. If someone's plate was too close
> to his at the table, that contained meat, then he would make a scene,
> sometimes toss his plate away etc. As a result two of the grandkids (not
> my kids thankfully) developed the aversion to meat and copied all his ugh,
> yuk etc mannerisms about almost every other food. If he didn't like it he
> turned up his nose, even if it wasn't on his plate.

My grandma had a farm and used to butcher the chickens. I witnessed her
doing it. Oddly this never bothered me until lunch at school in 2nd grade
when they served fried chicken for lunch. A boy next to me said, "Do you
know what they did to this poor chicken?" Sadly, I did. Beginning of
chicken aversion.

The chicken aversion worsened in Jr. high when we were disecting a frog in
biology class. It was my last class of the day. Came home after having
done that to find a package of chicken parts and a note for making chicken
and rice pilaf. I was supposed to do that for dinner. I couldn't bring
myself to touch the chicken parts. I've gotten a litte better about this
but still prefer to make chicken only off the bone and preferably from a
can, precooked and cut in chunks. I can not eat chicken or any other animal
parts with bones in. Makes me want to cry.

As a child, my mom would serve us oatmeal or cold cereal and make gagging
noises. It was the worst with the oatmeal. She'd stand over us with this
horrid look on her face and tell us she didn't know how we could eat it.
That was rather off-putting, but the worst was when she made oatmeal with
raisins in it. Reminded me of dead flies.

But I think a great part of my problem was the food allergies. I was so
sick to my stomach pretty much all the time growing up. And I remember
being forced to drink milk which I now know I am allergic to. Even now, my
parents don't seem to take the food allergies seriously. My mom has the
same food allergies as I do and a few more and she seems to be in denial.
She is constantly eating that which she is allergic to and wondering why she
gets sick all the time. I think sometimes kids instinctively know to avoid
a certain food and it doesn't help to force it on them. I remember hating
eggs (another allergen) but being forced to eat soft poached eggs after
having my tonsils out. When you eat something only to puke it back up
again, that doesn't help. It also doesn't help to be told you are not sick
and not going to puke and then when you do to be told that you did it on
purpose.

Alas, it doesn't help that my food allergy reactions have seemed to have
gotten worse since cleaning up my diet. I think perhaps when you are
exposed to the allergens on pretty much a daily basis, you get used to
feeling a little sick all the time. Having chronic ear and sinus infections
is just a way of life.

But after throwing up eggs for hours on end and having what appeared to be
an anaphalaxic shock series of symptoms after eating food that I had picked
a stray piece of cheese out of at dinner, so much more food becomes
suspicous to me. Every time we dine out, I wonder if the food might make me
ill. I've declined eating vegetables a few times because they looked very
shiny and I feared they might contain butter or margarine. Restaurants are
not always good to tell you what they put on their food. Sometimes I get "I
don't know" as the answer or they will tell me they come pre-packaged and
they don't know what is in the sauce, on the coating, in the bread, etc.

> Kids unfortunately pick up those kinds of aversions and imitate it,
> sometimes their whole lives. Food aversion is often a learned thing not a
> natural reaction. Take Jasmine for example, with her intellectual
> disability she takes everything at face value. She would eat poison or
> excrement if she wasn't stopped because she hasn't got that learned
> response. If it looks like food, she will put it in her mouth.

That's pretty scary. I worry about my cat these days. She is getting older
and seems not to see so well. She is so used to eating cat treats from the
floor that she will now try to eat any little thing she finds. A dropped
pill, bead or Polly Pocket shoe.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message

> That's interesting - I was watching Ray Mears, a survival expert,
> yesterday, talking about how the reaction to whether or not something
> could be food was smell related. I'd assume Jasmine's sense of smell
> is fine?

One of my friends totally lost her sense of smell. She has been to numerous
Drs. and none can find the cause. Suddenly nothing tastes good to her
except sweets. Not sure why that is. The rest doesn't necessarily taste
bad, just no taste at all.

My dad has a distant cousin with the same problem, although he knew the
reason for it. Can't remember why now and there was nothing they could do.
He said food had no taste whatever for him so he ate only what was necessary
to keep him alive and he covered it with black pepper or hot sauce. He said
the burning feeling on his tongue was the only way his brain could register
that he had actually eaten something.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alan S" > wrote in message

> In that sense so are sweetcorn(maize), potatoes, tomatoes;
> even coffee and tobacco:
> http://monologues.co.uk/Bob_Newhart/Tobacco.htm

Not so sure about the coffee unless you are counting South America as being
American food.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> Then there is popcorn. Did someone put some dried corn in a pan to cook
> and forget to add water?

I heard a story about this but not sure if it is true. Something about the
Indians and putting some ears of dried corn too near the fire. It will pop
off the cob.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> It must have gone off like bullets in a fire, lol.

Many years ago we had a fire here in a popcorn factory. The firemen said it
was next to impossible to contain and the noise was frightful.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alan S wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 02:58:40 GMT, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> Well, I honestly don't know where BBQ originates.

> I'm not sure either - probably Neanderthal Man somewhere in
> the Rift Valley as an intended act rather than earlier
> species fortuitously finding roast dinosaurs after a forest
> fire.
>
> As to more recent times, almost all cultures have periods
> where dinner was cooked over open fires by various means.
> I'd hardly call it culturally unique.

You have to stop thinking of it as a verb. It's a noun.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:

> Oh okay. They are one food I never cared for. Not even as a child. So I
> don't know much about them. Now that I think about it, I believe maple
> syrup is truly considered an American food. I don't believe it is available
> elsewhere except perhaps Canada.

It is available in Eastern Canada. Tasty but no where as good as
Vermont. (I'm not the Diabetic)

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 03:27:52 GMT, "Julie Bove" >
> wrote:
>
>> Now that I think about it, I believe maple
>> syrup is truly considered an American food. I don't believe it is available
>> elsewhere except perhaps Canada.
>>

> Maybe I read too much Anne of Green Gables - but I assumed it
> originated in Canada. The food I think of as being truly American is
> cranberries.
>
> Nicky.
> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
> D&E, 100ug thyroxine
> Last A1c 5.6% BMI 25

Corn on the cob. Also known as maize. It was so foreign to Europeans
that they called it "corn" which was a generic word for 'grain'.

The Mexicans use the word "masa" when referring to the flour made from
maize as in masa harina, "harina" meaning flour, but they call fresh
corn elote. ay-low-tay.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 18:44:43 -0500, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:
>
>> Nicky wrote:

>>> I understand it all too well. It's probably the reason you're on
>>> insulin.

>> Nicky, just because a T2 is on insulin does not mean that they have
>> failed to care for themselves. You made it sound like a punishment.

> Sorry - I'm just p'd off by this person. Actually, I suspect they're
> Anon. Anyone been less lazy and checked out the headers?

I haven't. She's not worth the effort.

> And I have great respect for people who are using insulin to care for
> themselves, as opposed to using it as the backstop of last resort. I
> wanna be there one day. I have all of Jackie Patti's recent posts on
> the subject saved...

DH has been doing wonderfully with his pump. Last A1C was 5.6 and we had
been on a 6 week long road trip eating in restaurants every day. He
wishes someone would have taken him off of the orals that messed up his
heart and put him permanently on insulin years ago. At his last visit,
his Endo called him "her model patient"

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>
>> Then there is popcorn. Did someone put some dried corn in a pan to cook
>> and forget to add water?

> I heard a story about this but not sure if it is true. Something about the
> Indians and putting some ears of dried corn too near the fire. It will pop
> off the cob.

I've actually seen special ears of corn that will pop. They usually sell
them in souvenir shops.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 15:15:32 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>One of the things we are doing is going to the Sounds of Silence Dinner
>which the tour book calls "a gourmet barbeque dinner" at the base of
>Ayers Rock. We would be very disappointed if they served barbecue.

Oh, that is mindblowing! You'll love it! The food was pretty damned
good, too, but the stars, the firelight, and the music was the best.
The dude with the cool telescopes was good too : )

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.6% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 15:25:12 GMT, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Alan S" > wrote in message
.. .

>> In that sense so are sweetcorn(maize), potatoes, tomatoes;
>> even coffee and tobacco:
>> http://monologues.co.uk/Bob_Newhart/Tobacco.htm
>>

>Not so sure about the coffee unless you are counting South America as being
>American food.

Did you go to the link.

And I tend to think of South America as being in the
Americas:-)

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
latest: Cinnamon, Spices, Herbs and Similar
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Alan S wrote:
>> On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 02:58:40 GMT, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Well, I honestly don't know where BBQ originates.

>> I'm not sure either - probably Neanderthal Man somewhere in
>> the Rift Valley as an intended act rather than earlier
>> species fortuitously finding roast dinosaurs after a forest
>> fire.
>>
>> As to more recent times, almost all cultures have periods
>> where dinner was cooked over open fires by various means.
>> I'd hardly call it culturally unique.

> You have to stop thinking of it as a verb. It's a noun.

So you take a piece of beast and call it barbecue. I see... I think

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 15:15:32 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>They barbecue (v) in Australia. To my knowledge, they don't eat barbecue
>(n). As we are leaving for Australia and New Zealand in less than two
>weeks, I will report on it.
>
>One of the things we are doing is going to the Sounds of Silence Dinner
>which the tour book calls "a gourmet barbeque dinner" at the base of
>Ayers Rock. We would be very disappointed if they served barbecue.

I have friends who went to that and came back with
favourable reports.

However, whenever you travel to places dependant on tourist
income the pressure to meet American Tourist's tastes may
lead to the cuisine being more American than Australian - or
unrepresentative of our usual fare. You will find that the
number of Australians eating things like kangaroo or
crocodile is about the same as the number of USAians eating
elk or alligator.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
latest: Cinnamon, Spices, Herbs and Similar

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 15:15:32 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>They barbecue (v) in Australia. To my knowledge, they don't eat barbecue
>(n). As we are leaving for Australia and New Zealand in less than two
>weeks, I will report on it.
>
>One of the things we are doing is going to the Sounds of Silence Dinner
>which the tour book calls "a gourmet barbeque dinner" at the base of
>Ayers Rock. We would be very disappointed if they served barbecue.

A post-script.

I've forgotten whether it's you or Martha or both who are
going to Melbourne. As you are interested in food on your
trip, one experience I've had lots of good reports on is the
Melbourne Tram restaurant.

It trundles around the suburbs while you eat.
http://www.tramrestaurant.com.au/

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
latest: Cinnamon, Spices, Herbs and Similar
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 15:10:55 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>Alan S wrote:
>> On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 02:58:40 GMT, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Well, I honestly don't know where BBQ originates.

>> I'm not sure either - probably Neanderthal Man somewhere in
>> the Rift Valley as an intended act rather than earlier
>> species fortuitously finding roast dinosaurs after a forest
>> fire.
>>
>> As to more recent times, almost all cultures have periods
>> where dinner was cooked over open fires by various means.
>> I'd hardly call it culturally unique.

>You have to stop thinking of it as a verb. It's a noun.

A regional variation as we discussed. here it is both. A
barbecue is the thing we leave out in the backyard to cook
on; usually using charcoal or LPG. To barbecue is to cook
over an open flame or coals.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
latest: Cinnamon, Spices, Herbs and Similar
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 15:15:32 -0500, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:
>
>> One of the things we are doing is going to the Sounds of Silence Dinner
>> which the tour book calls "a gourmet barbeque dinner" at the base of
>> Ayers Rock. We would be very disappointed if they served barbecue.

> Oh, that is mindblowing! You'll love it! The food was pretty damned
> good, too, but the stars, the firelight, and the music was the best.
> The dude with the cool telescopes was good too : )

Thank you so much, Nicky. I really appreciate the info. The guide book
we have says something about not wearing jeans for dinner, but I thought
an outdoor dinner might be okay to wear jeans at especially since mine
have beads and sparkles on them.

What do you think about wearing nice jeans at The Sounds of Silence Dinner?

We have to pack light for the land portion of the trip and check two
bags in Sydney for pick up before we board the cruise ship for 2 weeks.
I thought I'd save some suitcase space.

You can let me know via email.

TIA

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alan S wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 15:15:32 -0500, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:
>
>> They barbecue (v) in Australia. To my knowledge, they don't eat barbecue
>> (n). As we are leaving for Australia and New Zealand in less than two
>> weeks, I will report on it.
>>
>> One of the things we are doing is going to the Sounds of Silence Dinner
>> which the tour book calls "a gourmet barbeque dinner" at the base of
>> Ayers Rock. We would be very disappointed if they served barbecue.

> A post-script.
>
> I've forgotten whether it's you or Martha or both who are
> going to Melbourne. As you are interested in food on your
> trip, one experience I've had lots of good reports on is the
> Melbourne Tram restaurant.
>
> It trundles around the suburbs while you eat.
> http://www.tramrestaurant.com.au/

We are going to Melbourne. We will be taking advantage of the Melbourne
Greeter program where one is assigned a native and taken on a tour of
the city using public transportation. It's free except for the $6+ for
the public transit all-day pass. Since we are on a cruise, we'll
probably skip lunch or try what the guide suggests as "local" and go
back to the ship for dinner.

The tram sounds like one of our dinner trains. We did the one in the
Napa Valley about 10 years ago. Lovely ride and lovely food.

I am looking forward to having lots of lamb. I know they serve it at
least twice on the ship and if I have to scare up my own lunch, lamb it
shall be!

Most of our traveling will be when the ship puts in to the ports in New
Zealand.

I've already started packing. I'm soooooo excited.

Who knows how long we shall have our health and be capable of travel.
DH's heart, after a MUGA scan, is only at 25%, but he got a great report
on his kidney function which is normal (yay!) today. I just had a really
awful time with cancer treatment then an unexpected experience with a
ruptured colon last year. As long as the money and our health holds out,
we intend to travel.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 19:14:51 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>Who knows how long we shall have our health and be capable of travel.
>DH's heart, after a MUGA scan, is only at 25%, but he got a great report
>on his kidney function which is normal (yay!) today. I just had a really
>awful time with cancer treatment then an unexpected experience with a
>ruptured colon last year. As long as the money and our health holds out,
>we intend to travel.

My sentiments exactly. I always wanted to travel, but there
was always something in the way - responsibilities,
finances, family, you know what I mean. So apart from some
quick trips with the RAAF I hadn't travelled as I wanted to.

Then in 2002 the doc told me my blood was more interesting
than most people. When I got home from the appointment I
told SWMBO that I was now retired and I was going around the
world and invited her to join me. It was much later in the
day I told her what the doc had said.

Since then: RTW1 March-August 2003, Fiji 2005, NZ Feb 2006,
RTW2 March-July 2006, now planning RTW3 for next March. And,
of course, wandering in Oz in between. So much to see and
experience, so little time:-)

Carpe Diem.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
latest: Cinnamon, Spices, Herbs and Similar

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

We reported on the news a aussie car race where a roo was on the track..that
was a real clench yer bits moment to watch but luckily nobody was hurt..even
the roo...lol

KROM

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "RodS" > wrote in message
>
>> Maybe just a little Kangaroo or Emu or some Croc or if yer from Vic,
>> flake

> One day I may try a bit of roo. Have to work up to it though, lol.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 9 Oct 2007 22:36:19 -0500, "krom"
> wrote:

>We reported on the news a aussie car race where a roo was on the track..that
>was a real clench yer bits moment to watch but luckily nobody was hurt..even
>the roo...lol
>
>KROM

Yep, I watched it happen. It's a bit unusual to occur during
the Bathurst race, but it's quite a common occurrence on
Australian roads away from the big cities. And that covers
most of the country:-)

I've been lucky enough to never hit one, but I've had to be
very alert at times to achieve that. Around dusk is the bad
time.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
latest: Cinnamon, Spices, Herbs and Similar
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Oct 8, 2:35 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "brigmave" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>
> > It may seem odd to you but one can have homes in more than one state!
> > Now I am certain they would not tell you to follow the same diet I
> > have as you are a different person with different metabolism.

> Not odd so much as bragging. And now you say you are going to Sweden too?

Not bragging just the way it is. No I will not be going to Sweden
other than a few days. I return to Norway for Christmas month. I was
born there.
Brig

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Oct 8, 4:20 pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
> brigmave wrote:
>
> > If one is on the go one can take their testing equipment across state
> > lines and countries! Unless there are new rules I am not aware of.
> > Brig

> If going by air there may be some new rules. We found out that we need a
> note from the doctor for the sharps, including lancets, for Qantas in
> Australia but not to get to Australia from the US on United.
>
> BTW,
> I am still skeptical of Brig's numbers. According to her posts she says
> she is thin, however insulin caused weight gain. If she is covering for
> that high an amount of carbs, I doubt she is as svelt as she tells us.
>
> Insulin use is not permission for over-indulging in carbs. My DH's pump
> would not be able to dispense what he'd need for such carb-laden meals.
> He'd have to do several boluses.
>
> I think she is a troll who stumbled upon this group and posted an
> inappropriate recipe and is now seriously backpedaling.
>
> JMHO
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
> Good Friends. Good Life

Sorry, not a troll but I would love to live in the forests where they
live.
I gained 6 pounds I believe. Not hard to do when you have to take
between 15-25 units per day. No I do not take Insulin to cover food.
We exercise well over 2 hours per day with the exception of Sunday.
Brig

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Oct 8, 6:06 pm, "Ozgirl" > wrote:
> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message

> > Julie Bove wrote:

> >> I'm not going to list American foods. Foods do vary by region and yes,
> >> we do have American foods.

> > barbecue!

> Hot dogs..

For what is it worth.
Hot dogs are the descendants of the German Wurst's. They were served
here for the first time at one of the World's Fairs held in the US.
(That is sold in a kiosk) They had been eaten in homes by the German
and Scandinavians since their arrival. Same as the ice cream cone
which was a form of thin waffle and became the cone.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Oct 8, 2:36 pm, Nicky > wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 11:08:09 -0700, brigmave >
> wrote:
>
> >It seems you do not understand the in and outs of the diet I follow.
> >It is the ADA diet. American Diabetic Association diet. It seems to
> >be quite acceptable amongst
> >my medical team.

> I understand it all too well. It's probably the reason you're on
> insulin.
>
> Nicky.
> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
> D&E, 100ug thyroxine
> Last A1c 5.6% BMI 25

I am on Insulin because I produce none and we exercise very heavily.
Brig

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Oct 8, 2:37 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "brigmave" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>

> > On Oct 7, 11:38 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> >> "Alan S" > wrote in message

> . ..

> >> But the names of the food she refers to is not American.

> > I did not realize that one is supposed to eat only one type of food!
> > Americans do eat beef, lamb, pork, venison, fish, poultry and other
> > wild game including rabbit. Are these not American foods?
> > Please do list foods that are American. My experience has shown that
> > America has no real cuisine of its own but has adapted the cuisine of
> > the many cultures that reside there.

> You listed names of foods that are not commonly eaten here. Lamb is not
> commonly eaten here, nor is rabbit. Yes, some people eat it, but it is
> certainly not common.
>
> I'm not going to list American foods. Foods do vary by region and yes, we
> do have American foods.

This must depend upon the region you live. Where we are everyone
raises many animals for slaughter including those listed above..the
domesticated ones.
Brig

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Oct 8, 2:38 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "brigmave" > wrote in message
>
> ps.com...
>
> > I am so pleased to be called a troll. These dear little creatures
> > live in the forests
> > of Norway. The place of my birth. They are considered to bring much
> > luck and joy and I hope I bring that to you.
> > I don't plan on going away. You obviously have not read correctly!
> > It seems you do not understand the in and outs of the diet I follow.
> > It is the ADA diet. American Diabetic Association diet. It seems to
> > be quite acceptable amongst
> > my medical team.
> > We also are very involved in intensive exercise almost every day.
> > Calling names has never solved anything. Try and look outside your
> > experience and see what others are doing and achieving the ultimate
> > goals one has set.
> > Thank you for your concern I do appreciate it.

> Again, there IS no ADA diet. Hasn't been for some time. They even say that
> at their website.

It is called the ADA Diet and Pyramid. Works for many but evidently
not for you or many of those in this forum.
Brig

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Oct 8, 2:52 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Nicky" > wrote in message

> > On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 11:08:09 -0700, brigmave >
> > wrote:

> >>It seems you do not understand the in and outs of the diet I follow.
> >>It is the ADA diet. American Diabetic Association diet. It seems to
> >>be quite acceptable amongst
> >>my medical team.

> > I understand it all too well. It's probably the reason you're on
> > insulin.

> She says she is between type 1 and 2.

I don't say that my medical team arrived at that designation. Why?
Brig

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Oct 8, 4:20 pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
> brigmave wrote:
>
> > If one is on the go one can take their testing equipment across state
> > lines and countries! Unless there are new rules I am not aware of.
> > Brig

> If going by air there may be some new rules. We found out that we need a
> note from the doctor for the sharps, including lancets, for Qantas in
> Australia but not to get to Australia from the US on United.
>
> BTW,
> I am still skeptical of Brig's numbers. According to her posts she says
> she is thin, however insulin caused weight gain. If she is covering for
> that high an amount of carbs, I doubt she is as svelt as she tells us.
>
> Insulin use is not permission for over-indulging in carbs. My DH's pump
> would not be able to dispense what he'd need for such carb-laden meals.
> He'd have to do several boluses.
>
> I think she is a troll who stumbled upon this group and posted an
> inappropriate recipe and is now seriously backpedaling.
>
> JMHO
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
> Good Friends. Good Life

Your favorite troll he I just got word today I will go on the
Insulin pump within the next three weeks. I wanted to get this over
with before we leave for Norway.
As I use so little Insulin each day I imagine the 300 unit will serve
me well.
Brig

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Oct 8, 7:04 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message

> > Nicky wrote:

> >> I understand it all too well. It's probably the reason you're on
> >> insulin.

> > Nicky, just because a T2 is on insulin does not mean that they have failed
> > to care for themselves. You made it sound like a punishment.

> She says she is in between type 1 and type 2. Whatever that means.

This particular assignment is well described in medical literature.
Consider this there are many type 2 Diabetics who are children and
that classification was never given to those under 35 for many years.
Brig

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Oct 8, 8:19 pm, Alan S > wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 02:58:40 GMT, "Julie Bove"
>
> > wrote:
> >Well, I honestly don't know where BBQ originates.

> I'm not sure either - probably Neanderthal Man somewhere in
> the Rift Valley as an intended act rather than earlier
> species fortuitously finding roast dinosaurs after a forest
> fire.
>
> As to more recent times, almost all cultures have periods
> where dinner was cooked over open fires by various means.
> I'd hardly call it culturally unique.
>
> Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
> d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
> Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
> --http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
> latest: Cinnamon, Spices, Herbs and Similar

Quite right! In the days of yore people cooked food over open fires
out of necessity and today it seems to be a fun thing. I loved
planked Salmon over the grate.
Brig

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Oct 7, 6:25 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "brigmave" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>
> > On Oct 7, 5:12 pm, "Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote:
> > Why is it if a person is different from you you outright reject them
> > or start ad hominem attacks. I came here not too long ago to gain
> > insight in how others practice their care for Diabetes.
> > In good faith I posted our way of live and practice. Within our
> > personal support groups we find that most people are like us and do
> > not have huge problems with this disease because we don't let it
> > become the total reason for our being.
> > Life is just to short to make a disease the focus of ones life.
> > If you don't accept what I have to say that I would suggest you not
> > create posts directed to me and which are very critical of my way of
> > life.
> > I am very happy with it thusfar.
> > Thank you and have a bright future.
> > Brig

> This isn't a support group. It's a diabetic food group. And I'm sure you
> DO find in your real life support groups that most diabetics don't have any
> problems with their diet, or whatever. Most diabetics don't test as they
> should and wouldn't know a complication if it smacked them in the face.
>
> I am one who had complications prior to my diagnosis. They are what brought
> on my diagnosis. Many of us here have had similar situations.
>
> I have plenty of other diseases aside from diabetes. They are my life.
> Plain and simple. I can't escape them by eating some carb laden treat.

I am sorry that you are burdened with so many overt maladies. It must
be terribly difficult.
Brib

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 00:29:35 -0700, brigmave >
wrote:

> No I do not take Insulin to cover food.

So what do you think you're taking it for then?!

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.6% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Oct 7, 6:25 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Priscilla Ballou" > wrote in message

> > In article >,
> > "Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote:

> >> I already told you that I don't believe you. You're either not
> >> testing, or you're not a type2 diabetic. That is my belief. I could be
> >> wrong though, and often am.

> > No-one's asked his type. I think he's type 1 on insulin, and everyone's
> > assuming he's type 2.

> I've asked. And he's a she. She hasn't answered. I asked again whether
> she was in insulin or meds. Let's see if she answers now. I doubt it.

I have responded thank you.
Brig

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"brigmave" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Oct 8, 2:36 pm, Nicky > wrote:
>> On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 11:08:09 -0700, brigmave >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >It seems you do not understand the in and outs of the diet I follow.
>> >It is the ADA diet. American Diabetic Association diet. It seems to
>> >be quite acceptable amongst
>> >my medical team.

>> I understand it all too well. It's probably the reason you're on
>> insulin.
>>
>> Nicky.
>> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
>> D&E, 100ug thyroxine
>> Last A1c 5.6% BMI 25

> I am on Insulin because I produce none and we exercise very heavily.

If you produce none, then you are not between a type 1 and 2. You are a 1.
And you would need to take insulin with each meal.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"brigmave" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Oct 8, 2:38 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> "brigmave" > wrote in message
>>
>> ps.com...
>>
>> > I am so pleased to be called a troll. These dear little creatures
>> > live in the forests
>> > of Norway. The place of my birth. They are considered to bring much
>> > luck and joy and I hope I bring that to you.
>> > I don't plan on going away. You obviously have not read correctly!
>> > It seems you do not understand the in and outs of the diet I follow.
>> > It is the ADA diet. American Diabetic Association diet. It seems to
>> > be quite acceptable amongst
>> > my medical team.
>> > We also are very involved in intensive exercise almost every day.
>> > Calling names has never solved anything. Try and look outside your
>> > experience and see what others are doing and achieving the ultimate
>> > goals one has set.
>> > Thank you for your concern I do appreciate it.

>> Again, there IS no ADA diet. Hasn't been for some time. They even say
>> that
>> at their website.

> It is called the ADA Diet and Pyramid. Works for many but evidently
> not for you or many of those in this forum.

Doesn't work for type 2's! And it is no longer used. As I said... Hasn't
been used for years.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"brigmave" > wrote in message
s.com...
> On Oct 8, 2:52 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> "Nicky" > wrote in message

>> > I understand it all too well. It's probably the reason you're on
>> > insulin.

>> She says she is between type 1 and 2.

> I don't say that my medical team arrived at that designation. Why?

Because most of us here don't use insulin.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"brigmave" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Oct 8, 7:04 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:

>> > Nicky, just because a T2 is on insulin does not mean that they have
>> > failed
>> > to care for themselves. You made it sound like a punishment.

>> She says she is in between type 1 and type 2. Whatever that means.

> This particular assignment is well described in medical literature.
> Consider this there are many type 2 Diabetics who are children and
> that classification was never given to those under 35 for many years.

A type 2 who is a child is still a type 2.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Oct 8, 7:21 am, Janet Wilder > wrote:
> brigmave wrote:
> > I am amazed! How could the consumption of cauliflower cause such a
> > lengthy discussion?

> You must be new to Usenet groups <vbg>
>
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
> Good Friends. Good Life

That is true as one could determine by my clumsy use of this computer.
Brig