FoodBanter.com

-   -   Cauliflower: How could it cause such (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/136663-cauliflower-how-could-cause.html)

brigmave 08-10-2007 06:59 PM

Cauliflower: How could it cause such

On Oct 7, 11:38 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Alan S" > wrote in message

> > On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 01:22:07 GMT, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:

> >>That's what I'm thinking too. And what country is she posting from?
> >>First
> >>it sounded like France, then Australia and now I just don't know.

> > Not Australia or France. US numbers, mg/dl.

> But the names of the food she refers to is not American.

I did not realize that one is supposed to eat only one type of food!
Americans do eat beef, lamb, pork, venison, fish, poultry and other
wild game including rabbit. Are these not American foods?
Please do list foods that are American. My experience has shown that
America has no real cuisine of its own but has adapted the cuisine of
the many cultures that reside there.
Brig

brigmave 08-10-2007 07:08 PM

On Oct 8, 12:56 am, Nicky > wrote:
> On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 16:12:04 -0700, brigmave >
> wrote:
>

> >On Oct 7, 4:22 am, Nicky > wrote:

> >> Yes, of course you do... many of them fast spikers.

> >> Nicky.
> >> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
> >> D&E, 100ug thyroxine
> >> Last A1c 5.6% BMI 25

> >At the risk of repeating myself all people are NOT created equal in
> >metabolic functions.
> >We have these fruits growing on our property and we do eat them and
> >they do us no harm.
> >Brig

> Bloody idiot. You're covering them with insulin.
>
> So, let's sum up.
> - you eat two meals a day
> - you eat 200-250g carbs spread across those 2 meals
> - you eat several fruits a day
> - you're on insulin
> - and you rarely test.
>
> Why don't you go away and learn about diabetes and diet someplace
> else. You're either a troll or a liar or terminally stupid.
>
> Nicky.
> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
> D&E, 100ug thyroxine
> Last A1c 5.6% BMI 25

I am so pleased to be called a troll. These dear little creatures
live in the forests
of Norway. The place of my birth. They are considered to bring much
luck and joy and I hope I bring that to you.
I don't plan on going away. You obviously have not read correctly!
It seems you do not understand the in and outs of the diet I follow.
It is the ADA diet. American Diabetic Association diet. It seems to
be quite acceptable amongst
my medical team.
We also are very involved in intensive exercise almost every day.
Calling names has never solved anything. Try and look outside your
experience and see what others are doing and achieving the ultimate
goals one has set.
Thank you for your concern I do appreciate it.
Brig

brigmave 08-10-2007 07:15 PM

On Oct 8, 7:38 am, Priscilla Ballou > wrote:
> In article .com>,
>

> brigmave > wrote:
> > On Oct 7, 5:23 pm, Priscilla Ballou > wrote:

> > > No-one's asked his type. I think he's type 1 on insulin, and everyone's
> > > assuming he's type 2.

> > > Priscilla

> > I am not a "he" and I am not a type to but inbetween 1 and 2 and I do
> > take insulin.
> > What do you take?

> No more crap from you, that's for sure.
>
> Priscilla, T2, diet and exercise only, last A1c 5.5

Thank you for your concern. It would seem that interest in others and
their means of caring for their DM is of little interest to you (the
collective you)
and that there is no person who can differ from your proscribed
beliefs and
régimes. So much for accepting others who are not like yourselves.
Brig

W. Baker 08-10-2007 09:32 PM

Cauliflower: How could it cause such

brigmave > wrote:
: >
[...]

Type 2s who are not on insulin have several problems you, apparantly,
don't have. We have insulin resistnce, and usually struggle with wight
issues often brought on by the insulin resistance itself. We also cannot
eat many carbs and cover them with our meds as we cannot make corrections
as insulin users can should the numbers go too high from miscalculation
or over eating.

We mostly find that the ADA diet, which seems to work well for type 1's on
insulin, cdoean't work for us adn the releively large number of carbs
included cause us to have high blood glucose numbers or requie us to take
many more meds wh. The diet also can make weight control much harder to
achieve, just as were you to use more insulin and eat 300-400 carbs a day
in however many meals you want would do. for amny of us hs threashold is
not 200 carbs a day, ut often less than 100.

Ability and time to exercise also varies, even with the best f will. Mst
do not have the time or oportunity to do dressage everyday and ong times
swimming, but crowd exercise inbetween child care, work, adn running a
houshold. some are elderly and have physical issues that prevent a great
deal of exercise. this is the reality of diabetes for those of us who
work o control within the physical, financial, and time limitaions of our
lives.

When I was wworkign with a nutritianist, she advised me to NEVER use the
recipes in the ADA lay magazine, diabees Forcast as they all wee suitable
only for tall males who di dheavy physical labor adn, generally were type
1 and fairly yung. so wht may be YOUR gold standard, may well not by
ours. We test nd fid out what our carb tolerances are adn what specific
foods d t our blood glocose control adn work from there. We cannot
function on a standard diet set b the ADA, but wrk out our own, suign the
diabetes we know best, our own. Some of us improve and some are able to
delay progression to more severe type 2 by our efforts. that s what we
hope for. Type 1 probems and treatments just don't work for us.

How old are you and have you any other incidental conditions or time
constraints that might preclude you from extensive exercise?

Wendy Type 2 for 20 years
metformin EX 1000mgs 2x a day, 1 mg amaryl 1x a day
only two BP meds, down from 6!
Sciatica,
Wet Maacular Degeneration(non-diabetes related)(Avstin shots into the
eyeball every 6 weeks.

Julie Bove 08-10-2007 10:35 PM

Cauliflower: How could it cause such

"brigmave" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> It may seem odd to you but one can have homes in more than one state!
> Now I am certain they would not tell you to follow the same diet I
> have as you are a different person with different metabolism.

Not odd so much as bragging. And now you say you are going to Sweden too?

Nicky 08-10-2007 10:36 PM

Cauliflower: How could it cause such

On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 11:08:09 -0700, brigmave >
wrote:

>It seems you do not understand the in and outs of the diet I follow.
>It is the ADA diet. American Diabetic Association diet. It seems to
>be quite acceptable amongst
>my medical team.

I understand it all too well. It's probably the reason you're on
insulin.

Julie Bove 08-10-2007 10:37 PM

Cauliflower: How could it cause such

"brigmave" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Oct 7, 11:38 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> "Alan S" > wrote in message

>> > On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 01:22:07 GMT, "Julie Bove"

>> > Not Australia or France. US numbers, mg/dl.

>> But the names of the food she refers to is not American.

> I did not realize that one is supposed to eat only one type of food!
> Americans do eat beef, lamb, pork, venison, fish, poultry and other
> wild game including rabbit. Are these not American foods?
> Please do list foods that are American. My experience has shown that
> America has no real cuisine of its own but has adapted the cuisine of
> the many cultures that reside there.

You listed names of foods that are not commonly eaten here. Lamb is not
commonly eaten here, nor is rabbit. Yes, some people eat it, but it is
certainly not common.

I'm not going to list American foods. Foods do vary by region and yes, we
do have American foods.

Julie Bove 08-10-2007 10:38 PM

Cauliflower: How could it cause such

"brigmave" > wrote in message
ps.com...

> I am so pleased to be called a troll. These dear little creatures
> live in the forests
> of Norway. The place of my birth. They are considered to bring much
> luck and joy and I hope I bring that to you.
> I don't plan on going away. You obviously have not read correctly!
> It seems you do not understand the in and outs of the diet I follow.
> It is the ADA diet. American Diabetic Association diet. It seems to
> be quite acceptable amongst
> my medical team.
> We also are very involved in intensive exercise almost every day.
> Calling names has never solved anything. Try and look outside your
> experience and see what others are doing and achieving the ultimate
> goals one has set.
> Thank you for your concern I do appreciate it.

Again, there IS no ADA diet. Hasn't been for some time. They even say that
at their website.

Julie Bove 08-10-2007 10:52 PM

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 11:08:09 -0700, brigmave >
> wrote:
>
>>It seems you do not understand the in and outs of the diet I follow.
>>It is the ADA diet. American Diabetic Association diet. It seems to
>>be quite acceptable amongst
>>my medical team.

> I understand it all too well. It's probably the reason you're on
> insulin.

She says she is between type 1 and 2.

Janet Wilder[_1_] 09-10-2007 12:20 AM

brigmave wrote:

> If one is on the go one can take their testing equipment across state
> lines and countries! Unless there are new rules I am not aware of.
> Brig

If going by air there may be some new rules. We found out that we need a
note from the doctor for the sharps, including lancets, for Qantas in
Australia but not to get to Australia from the US on United.

BTW,
I am still skeptical of Brig's numbers. According to her posts she says
she is thin, however insulin caused weight gain. If she is covering for
that high an amount of carbs, I doubt she is as svelt as she tells us.

Insulin use is not permission for over-indulging in carbs. My DH's pump
would not be able to dispense what he'd need for such carb-laden meals.
He'd have to do several boluses.

I think she is a troll who stumbled upon this group and posted an
inappropriate recipe and is now seriously backpedaling.

JMHO
--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation

Janet Wilder[_1_] 09-10-2007 12:44 AM

Nicky wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 11:08:09 -0700, brigmave >
> wrote:
>
>> It seems you do not understand the in and outs of the diet I follow.
>> It is the ADA diet. American Diabetic Association diet. It seems to
>> be quite acceptable amongst
>> my medical team.

> I understand it all too well. It's probably the reason you're on
> insulin.

Nicky, just because a T2 is on insulin does not mean that they have
failed to care for themselves. You made it sound like a punishment.

Janet Wilder[_1_] 09-10-2007 12:45 AM

Julie Bove wrote:

> I'm not going to list American foods. Foods do vary by region and yes, we
> do have American foods.

barbecue!

Ozgirl 09-10-2007 02:06 AM

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>

>> I'm not going to list American foods. Foods do vary by region and yes,
>> we do have American foods.

> barbecue!

Hot dogs.. :)

Julie Bove 09-10-2007 03:04 AM

Cauliflower: How could it cause such

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Nicky wrote:
>> On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 11:08:09 -0700, brigmave >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> It seems you do not understand the in and outs of the diet I follow.
>>> It is the ADA diet. American Diabetic Association diet. It seems to
>>> be quite acceptable amongst
>>> my medical team.

>> I understand it all too well. It's probably the reason you're on
>> insulin.

> Nicky, just because a T2 is on insulin does not mean that they have failed
> to care for themselves. You made it sound like a punishment.

She says she is in between type 1 and type 2. Whatever that means.

Julie Bove 09-10-2007 03:05 AM

Cauliflower: How could it cause such

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>

>> I'm not going to list American foods. Foods do vary by region and yes,
>> we do have American foods.

> barbecue!

Maybe. I think that might be more of a Southern thing. I've never really
lived in an area where BBQ was a common thing.

Julie Bove 09-10-2007 03:05 AM

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>

>>> I'm not going to list American foods. Foods do vary by region and yes,
>>> we do have American foods.

>> barbecue!

> Hot dogs.. :)

Eeeew. But don't they have those in Australia?

Alan S 09-10-2007 04:19 AM

Cauliflower: How could it cause such

On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 02:58:40 GMT, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>Well, I honestly don't know where BBQ originates.

I'm not sure either - probably Neanderthal Man somewhere in
the Rift Valley as an intended act rather than earlier
species fortuitously finding roast dinosaurs after a forest
fire.

As to more recent times, almost all cultures have periods
where dinner was cooked over open fires by various means.
I'd hardly call it culturally unique.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
latest: Cinnamon, Spices, Herbs and Similar

Ozgirl 09-10-2007 04:24 AM

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message

>>> barbecue!

>> Hot dogs.. :)

> Eeeew. But don't they have those in Australia?

Starting at a much later date than you guys started though ;)

Julie Bove 09-10-2007 04:27 AM

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> Hot dogs.. :)

>> Eeeew. But don't they have those in Australia?

> Starting at a much later date than you guys started though ;)

Oh okay. They are one food I never cared for. Not even as a child. So I
don't know much about them. Now that I think about it, I believe maple
syrup is truly considered an American food. I don't believe it is available
elsewhere except perhaps Canada.

RodS 09-10-2007 05:20 AM

"Alan S" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 02:58:40 GMT, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
> >Well, I honestly don't know where BBQ originates.

Recent doco I watched Quote "100,000 years ago man discovered fire 10
minutes later he invented BBQ"

RodS

Alan S 09-10-2007 06:02 AM

Cauliflower: How could it cause such

On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 03:38:16 GMT, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>Interesting. I once went to a family reunion for my husband's side of the
>family where they served a whole pig. Not sure if it was BBQ'd or not since
>it was so off-putting, I wouldn't go near it.
>
>I spent the whole day with my daughter and niece, both of them in tears over
>the poor dead pig with no eyes and the apple in its mouth. The only thing
>we could bring ourselves to eat was some green beans, chili, and a bit of
>instant mashed potatoes that had been made for some ill aunt who couldn't
>manage to eat anything else. It was decided not to serve that kind of pig
>again, much to my relief.
>
>I didn't realize that the salmon served in this area was considered BBQ.
>Again, I do not care for salmon in the least and especially not the smoked
>kind. It's a very popular gift to send to people. Alas, once I sent it to
>pretty much all of my husband's relatives, I learned that they can't stand
>the stuff and only like fresh salmon. Must be an acquired taste. They
>don't like our coffee either. Pffffffft.

Julie, have you ever had a wonderful meal where everything
tasted superb, you all had a wonderful time and there were
no BG spikes, regurgitations, squeamishness or other after
effects? Or are all your food experiences a compromise
between dislike, distaste or nausea?

Julie Bove 09-10-2007 06:21 AM

"Alan S" > wrote in message

> Julie, have you ever had a wonderful meal where everything
> tasted superb, you all had a wonderful time and there were
> no BG spikes, regurgitations, squeamishness or other after
> effects? Or are all your food experiences a compromise
> between dislike, distaste or nausea?

I generally do quite well at Mexican restaurants, provided I watch what I
eat. If anything, I might have a spike, but I don't think I've ever thrown
up the food. I can also do well at the Old Country Buffet. Not the best
tasting food, but it doesn't make me sick and it has never spiked me.

I don't generally look at meals as wonderful. Don't think I ever have.
More like something I have to do to survive. Don't think I've ever eaten
any food I would classify as superb. Not sure even what that would be. I
do like things like dried beans, bell peppers and celery, but I can't say
they are superb. Sorry. I just think there are better things in life to
get excited about than food.

RodS 09-10-2007 06:35 AM

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Alan S" > wrote in message
>
> > Julie, have you ever had a wonderful meal where everything
> > tasted superb, you all had a wonderful time and there were
> > no BG spikes, regurgitations, squeamishness or other after
> > effects? Or are all your food experiences a compromise
> > between dislike, distaste or nausea?

> I generally do quite well at Mexican restaurants, provided I watch what I
> eat. If anything, I might have a spike, but I don't think I've ever

thrown
> up the food. I can also do well at the Old Country Buffet. Not the best
> tasting food, but it doesn't make me sick and it has never spiked me.
>
> I don't generally look at meals as wonderful. Don't think I ever have.
> More like something I have to do to survive. Don't think I've ever eaten
> any food I would classify as superb. Not sure even what that would be. I
> do like things like dried beans, bell peppers and celery, but I can't say
> they are superb. Sorry. I just think there are better things in life to
> get excited about than food.

RodS decides to burn his very large collection of cookbooks

Alan S 09-10-2007 06:39 AM

Cauliflower: How could it cause such

On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 05:21:34 GMT, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Alan S" > wrote in message
.. .

>> Julie, have you ever had a wonderful meal where everything
>> tasted superb, you all had a wonderful time and there were
>> no BG spikes, regurgitations, squeamishness or other after
>> effects? Or are all your food experiences a compromise
>> between dislike, distaste or nausea?

>I generally do quite well at Mexican restaurants, provided I watch what I
>eat. If anything, I might have a spike, but I don't think I've ever thrown
>up the food. I can also do well at the Old Country Buffet. Not the best
>tasting food, but it doesn't make me sick and it has never spiked me.
>
>I don't generally look at meals as wonderful. Don't think I ever have.
>More like something I have to do to survive. Don't think I've ever eaten
>any food I would classify as superb. Not sure even what that would be. I
>do like things like dried beans, bell peppers and celery, but I can't say
>they are superb. Sorry. I just think there are better things in life to
>get excited about than food.

Agreed, but I've never read or spoken to anyone with as many
negatives about food experiences as I've seen in reading
your posts.

And, although there is always something better to get
excited about than almost any experience, getting excited
about small experiences can sometimes make life worthwhile.

Julie Bove 09-10-2007 06:42 AM

"RodS" > wrote in message

> RodS decides to burn his very large collection of cookbooks

I collect cookbooks too. I love to read about food and even to make food.
But any more... Eating it? Not so much.

Julie Bove 09-10-2007 06:44 AM

"Alan S" > wrote in message

> Agreed, but I've never read or spoken to anyone with as many
> negatives about food experiences as I've seen in reading
> your posts.

You've never met my brother! :)

> And, although there is always something better to get
> excited about than almost any experience, getting excited
> about small experiences can sometimes make life worthwhile.

Maybe, but in my book food isn't something to get very excited about. I did
used to like pecan pie until I found out how many calories it had. Was
never able to eat it again.

Nicky 09-10-2007 08:44 AM

Cauliflower: How could it cause such

On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 03:27:52 GMT, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> Now that I think about it, I believe maple
>syrup is truly considered an American food. I don't believe it is available
>elsewhere except perhaps Canada.

Maybe I read too much Anne of Green Gables - but I assumed it
originated in Canada. The food I think of as being truly American is
cranberries.

Nicky 09-10-2007 08:50 AM

Cauliflower: How could it cause such

On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 18:44:43 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>Nicky wrote:
>> On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 11:08:09 -0700, brigmave >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> It seems you do not understand the in and outs of the diet I follow.
>>> It is the ADA diet. American Diabetic Association diet. It seems to
>>> be quite acceptable amongst
>>> my medical team.

>> I understand it all too well. It's probably the reason you're on
>> insulin.

>Nicky, just because a T2 is on insulin does not mean that they have
>failed to care for themselves. You made it sound like a punishment.

Sorry - I'm just p'd off by this person. Actually, I suspect they're
Anon. Anyone been less lazy and checked out the headers?

And I have great respect for people who are using insulin to care for
themselves, as opposed to using it as the backstop of last resort. I
wanna be there one day. I have all of Jackie Patti's recent posts on
the subject saved...

Julie Bove 09-10-2007 09:12 AM

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 03:27:52 GMT, "Julie Bove" >
> wrote:
>
>> Now that I think about it, I believe maple
>>syrup is truly considered an American food. I don't believe it is
>>available
>>elsewhere except perhaps Canada.
>>

> Maybe I read too much Anne of Green Gables - but I assumed it
> originated in Canada. The food I think of as being truly American is
> cranberries.

Ah. That might be too.

Julie Bove 09-10-2007 09:13 AM

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 18:44:43 -0500, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:
>
>>Nicky wrote:

>>> I understand it all too well. It's probably the reason you're on
>>> insulin.

>>Nicky, just because a T2 is on insulin does not mean that they have
>>failed to care for themselves. You made it sound like a punishment.

> Sorry - I'm just p'd off by this person. Actually, I suspect they're
> Anon. Anyone been less lazy and checked out the headers?
>
> And I have great respect for people who are using insulin to care for
> themselves, as opposed to using it as the backstop of last resort. I
> wanna be there one day. I have all of Jackie Patti's recent posts on
> the subject saved...

I thought about checking the headers but didn't. Odd, they haven't come
back. After making the big stink that they were here to stay.

Julie Bove 09-10-2007 09:16 AM

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> Over here, it doesn't matter what is done to a food before cooking, the
> actual bbq meaning is the cooking and how it is cooked, i.e. on a steel
> plate or grid over heat. You can pre-smoke, marinade, pound or slice and
> plait it for all it matters, the bbq is still the method of cooking.

That's what I thought too.

Ozgirl 09-10-2007 09:22 AM

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> I don't generally look at meals as wonderful. Don't think I ever have.
> More like something I have to do to survive. Don't think I've ever eaten
> any food I would classify as superb. Not sure even what that would be. I
> do like things like dried beans, bell peppers and celery, but I can't say
> they are superb. Sorry. I just think there are better things in life to
> get excited about than food.

Interesting, I wonder why? My first father in law detested meat. It appears
he used to have raw meat and liver held over his mouth to entice the
tapeworm that he didn't have out of his body. Sadly he used to make a huge
thing about it at the dinner table. If someone's plate was too close to his
at the table, that contained meat, then he would make a scene, sometimes
toss his plate away etc. As a result two of the grandkids (not my kids
thankfully) developed the aversion to meat and copied all his ugh, yuk etc
mannerisms about almost every other food. If he didn't like it he turned up
his nose, even if it wasn't on his plate.

Kids unfortunately pick up those kinds of aversions and imitate it,
sometimes their whole lives. Food aversion is often a learned thing not a
natural reaction. Take Jasmine for example, with her intellectual disability
she takes everything at face value. She would eat poison or excrement if she
wasn't stopped because she hasn't got that learned response. If it looks
like food, she will put it in her mouth.

Ozgirl 09-10-2007 09:27 AM

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> Eeeew. But don't they have those in Australia?

>> Starting at a much later date than you guys started though ;)

> Oh okay. They are one food I never cared for. Not even as a child. So I
> don't know much about them. Now that I think about it, I believe maple
> syrup is truly considered an American food. I don't believe it is
> available elsewhere except perhaps Canada.

We get maple syrup here, frightfully expensive. I have a fake sugar free
maple syrup here, not bad to taste. I need to make Nicky's pancakes to test
run it.

RodS 09-10-2007 09:43 AM

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Nicky" > wrote in message
> > On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 03:27:52 GMT, "Julie Bove" >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Now that I think about it, I believe maple
> >>syrup is truly considered an American food. I don't believe it is
> >>available
> >>elsewhere except perhaps Canada.
> >>

> > Maybe I read too much Anne of Green Gables - but I assumed it
> > originated in Canada. The food I think of as being truly American is
> > cranberries.

> Ah. That might be too.

How about popcorn?

Alan S 09-10-2007 10:10 AM

Cauliflower: How could it cause such

On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 08:44:01 +0100, Nicky
> wrote:

>On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 03:27:52 GMT, "Julie Bove" >
>wrote:
>
>> Now that I think about it, I believe maple
>>syrup is truly considered an American food. I don't believe it is available
>>elsewhere except perhaps Canada.
>>

>Maybe I read too much Anne of Green Gables - but I assumed it
>originated in Canada. The food I think of as being truly American is
>cranberries.

In that sense so are sweetcorn(maize), potatoes, tomatoes;
even coffee and tobacco:
http://monologues.co.uk/Bob_Newhart/Tobacco.htm

Ozgirl 09-10-2007 10:36 AM

Cauliflower: How could it cause such

"Alan S" > wrote in tomatoes;
> even coffee and tobacco:
> http://monologues.co.uk/Bob_Newhart/Tobacco.htm

We own the pav though, don't we? ;) I often wonder how dishes come into
being. Like did one day someone decide to totally cover stale cake in a thin
icing (probably because someone accidentally put too much water with the
icing sugar mix) and then decide to roll it in coconut to make the icing
less messy to touch, and call it a Lamington?

Then there is popcorn. Did someone put some dried corn in a pan to cook and
forget to add water?

RodS 09-10-2007 11:28 AM

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Alan S" > wrote in tomatoes;
> > even coffee and tobacco:
> > http://monologues.co.uk/Bob_Newhart/Tobacco.htm

> We own the pav though, don't we? ;) I often wonder how dishes come into
> being. Like did one day someone decide to totally cover stale cake in a

thin
> icing (probably because someone accidentally put too much water with the
> icing sugar mix) and then decide to roll it in coconut to make the icing
> less messy to touch, and call it a Lamington?
>
> Then there is popcorn. Did someone put some dried corn in a pan to cook

and
> forget to add water?

Nope from what I saw American Indians were eating it when the guys in the
suits arrived. They think maybe they noticed kernels falling into the fire
and found it tasted better than eating it raw.

RodS

Ozgirl 09-10-2007 11:48 AM

"RodS" > wrote in message

> Maybe just a little Kangaroo or Emu or some Croc or if yer from Vic, flake

One day I may try a bit of roo. Have to work up to it though, lol.

Nicky 09-10-2007 12:54 PM

Cauliflower: How could it cause such

On Tue, 9 Oct 2007 18:22:17 +1000, "Ozgirl"
> wrote:

> Food aversion is often a learned thing not a
>natural reaction. Take Jasmine for example, with her intellectual disability
>she takes everything at face value. She would eat poison or excrement if she
>wasn't stopped because she hasn't got that learned response. If it looks
>like food, she will put it in her mouth.

That's interesting - I was watching Ray Mears, a survival expert,
yesterday, talking about how the reaction to whether or not something
could be food was smell related. I'd assume Jasmine's sense of smell
is fine?

Ozgirl 09-10-2007 01:29 PM

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 9 Oct 2007 18:22:17 +1000, "Ozgirl"
> > wrote:
>
>> Food aversion is often a learned thing not a
>>natural reaction. Take Jasmine for example, with her intellectual
>>disability
>>she takes everything at face value. She would eat poison or excrement if
>>she
>>wasn't stopped because she hasn't got that learned response. If it looks
>>like food, she will put it in her mouth.
>>

> That's interesting - I was watching Ray Mears, a survival expert,
> yesterday, talking about how the reaction to whether or not something
> could be food was smell related. I'd assume Jasmine's sense of smell
> is fine?

I'd say yes, she always smells things cooking and comes out to the kitchen
and opens up oven or microwave to find the source ;)