FoodBanter.com

-   -   Cauliflower: How could it cause such (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/136663-cauliflower-how-could-cause.html)

Julie Bove 10-10-2007 08:57 AM

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 00:29:35 -0700, brigmave >
> wrote:
>
>> No I do not take Insulin to cover food.

> So what do you think you're taking it for then?!

*snort*

brigmave 10-10-2007 09:03 AM

Cauliflower: How could it cause such

> diabetes we know best, our own. Some of us improve and some are able to
> delay progression to more severe type 2 by our efforts. that s what we
> hope for. Type 1 probems and treatments just don't work for us.
>
> How old are you and have you any other incidental conditions or time
> constraints that might preclude you from extensive exercise?
>
> Wendy Type 2 for 20 years
> metformin EX 1000mgs 2x a day, 1 mg amaryl 1x a day
> only two BP meds, down from 6!
> Sciatica,
> Wet Maacular Degeneration(non-diabetes related)(Avstin shots into the
> eyeball every 6 weeks.

You are certainly correct about improvement and delay and I hope you
accomplish all you want .
I have no restsrictions regarding exercise as do Dressage at least
two hours per day and seim for another hour when I arrive home after
work.
Brig

Ozgirl 10-10-2007 09:55 AM

Cauliflower: How could it cause such

"brigmave" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Oct 8, 6:06 pm, "Ozgirl" > wrote:

>> > barbecue!

>> Hot dogs.. :)

> For what is it worth.
> Hot dogs are the descendants of the German Wurst's. They were served
> here for the first time at one of the World's Fairs held in the US.
> (That is sold in a kiosk) They had been eaten in homes by the German
> and Scandinavians since their arrival. Same as the ice cream cone
> which was a form of thin waffle and became the cone.

I love waffle cones, they don't love me of course. The first ice cream I had
in waffle cones was something like Norgen Vaas (bad spelling). Now waffle
cones are churned out like there is no tomorrow and nowhere near as good as
the ones that first got sold here in Australia. As to hot dogs, hopefully
the original Wursts were a heck of a lot better.

krom 10-10-2007 12:16 PM

Cauliflower: How could it cause such

Here it deer and lots of small critters...squirrils..skunks...large birds
etc are hit alot here..pretty gross..lol.

In my years of driving i have hit a cat and a bird..both freaked me out..saw
a semi hit a deer and well that was somthing i wish i could forget.

KROM

krom 10-10-2007 12:21 PM

Cauliflower: How could it cause such

Worst..pun intended hot dog i ever ate was a german one during october
fest..it was white and tasted livery and over peppered..demanded my money
back.

Only wine i ever liked was a german dessert wine..it was delicious and
spicy..probly too much sugar for me to drink now tho...

KROM

Janet Wilder[_1_] 10-10-2007 05:52 PM

Alan S wrote:

> Since then: RTW1 March-August 2003, Fiji 2005, NZ Feb 2006,
> RTW2 March-July 2006, now planning RTW3 for next March. And,
> of course, wandering in Oz in between. So much to see and
> experience, so little time:-)

If you ever get to the southeastern-most tip of Texas, look us up and
we'll invite you for some Texas-style barbecue, DM version. <g>

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation

Janet Wilder[_1_] 10-10-2007 05:57 PM

brigmave wrote:

> I gained 6 pounds I believe. Not hard to do when you have to take
> between 15-25 units per day. No I do not take Insulin to cover food.
> We exercise well over 2 hours per day with the exception of Sunday.

15 to 25 units isn't very much.

Janet Wilder[_1_] 10-10-2007 06:01 PM

brigmave wrote:

> I am on Insulin because I produce none and we exercise very heavily.
> Brig

For someone who produces no insulin, you don't take very much and don't
know if you are T1 or T2?

Since you don't understand the meaning of the word "troll" in Usenet
terms, I'll just call you a fake. I'm certain that you'll understand that.

Janet Wilder[_1_] 10-10-2007 06:05 PM

Nicky wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 00:29:35 -0700, brigmave >
> wrote:
>
>> No I do not take Insulin to cover food.

> So what do you think you're taking it for then?!

....and now she posts she is going on the pump?????? Too many
contradictions. Too few truths.

Janet Wilder[_1_] 10-10-2007 06:07 PM

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Nicky" > wrote in message
>> On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 00:29:35 -0700, brigmave >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> No I do not take Insulin to cover food.

>> So what do you think you're taking it for then?!

> *snort*

Regarding the "snort" we just started to see TV commercials for the new
snorted insulin. Interesting.

Cheri 10-10-2007 06:31 PM

Cauliflower: How could it cause such

Janet Wilder wrote in message
>brigmave wrote:
>
>> I am on Insulin because I produce none and we exercise very

heavily.
>> Brig

>For someone who produces no insulin, you don't take very much and

don't
>know if you are T1 or T2?
>
>Since you don't understand the meaning of the word "troll" in Usenet
>terms, I'll just call you a fake. I'm certain that you'll understand

that.

:-)

Cheri

Cheri 10-10-2007 06:32 PM

Cauliflower: How could it cause such

Janet Wilder wrote in message

>...and now she posts she is going on the pump?????? Too many
>contradictions. Too few truths.

Truly.

Cheri

Ozgirl 10-10-2007 10:23 PM

"krom" > wrote in message
> Worst..pun intended hot dog i ever ate was a german one during october
> fest..it was white and tasted livery and over peppered..demanded my money
> back.
>
> Only wine i ever liked was a german dessert wine..it was delicious and
> spicy..probly too much sugar for me to drink now tho...

Should have stuck with the beer ;)

Nicky 10-10-2007 11:06 PM

Cauliflower: How could it cause such

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 11:53:56 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>I always tell people that I need to be near the sea because I was born
>on an island. It sounds so exotic until they ask "what island?" Then I
>tell them Long Island. I was born in Brooklyn. :-)

Sounds exotic to me :D

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.6% BMI 25

Julie Bove 10-10-2007 11:27 PM

Cauliflower: How could it cause such

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> "Nicky" > wrote in message

>>> So what do you think you're taking it for then?!

>> *snort*

> Regarding the "snort" we just started to see TV commercials for the new
> snorted insulin. Interesting.

I haven't heard of snorted but I have heard of inhaled. I know of one woman
whose husband uses it and it isn't helping him very much.

Julie Bove 10-10-2007 11:32 PM

Cauliflower: How could it cause such

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Nicky wrote:
>> On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 00:29:35 -0700, brigmave >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> No I do not take Insulin to cover food.

>> So what do you think you're taking it for then?!

> ...and now she posts she is going on the pump?????? Too many
> contradictions. Too few truths.

She also wrote to me and told me to try some now banned in the US medication
for gastroparesis. Claimed she gets it when she goes to Sweden (I think
that's what she says) and now her gastroparesis is gone. Yeah right!

Alan S 11-10-2007 12:09 AM

Cauliflower: How could it cause such

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 11:53:56 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>I always tell people that I need to be near the sea because I was born
>on an island. It sounds so exotic until they ask "what island?" Then I
>tell them Long Island. I was born in Brooklyn. :-)

I was born on an island too; there's a reason for the fourth
line in our national Anthem:

'Australians all let us rejoice
For we are young and free
We've golden soil and wealth for toil,
Our home is girt by sea:'

We are the smallest continent but the largest island. At
least that's what I was taught back in Primary School:-)

Alan S 11-10-2007 12:12 AM

Cauliflower: How could it cause such

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 12:07:39 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>Regarding the "snort" we just started to see TV commercials for the new
>snorted insulin. Interesting.

Conjures up random thoughts:-)

Considering the security twits who arrest insulin-users who
are injecting in restrooms, can you imagine what it's going
to be like if the snorted insulin kit included a mirror, a
straw and a razor blade?

Janet Wilder[_1_] 11-10-2007 01:10 AM

Julie Bove wrote:

> She also wrote to me and told me to try some now banned in the US medication
> for gastroparesis. Claimed she gets it when she goes to Sweden (I think
> that's what she says) and now her gastroparesis is gone. Yeah right!

She emailed me right after she started posting. I asked her to respond
on Usenet and she did respect that. I hate clutter in my email box. :-)

Janet Wilder[_1_] 11-10-2007 01:11 AM

Alan S wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 12:07:39 -0500, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:
>
>> Regarding the "snort" we just started to see TV commercials for the new
>> snorted insulin. Interesting.

> Conjures up random thoughts:-)
>
> Considering the security twits who arrest insulin-users who
> are injecting in restrooms, can you imagine what it's going
> to be like if the snorted insulin kit included a mirror, a
> straw and a razor blade?

LOL! That was a good one, Alan.

Julie Bove 11-10-2007 01:41 AM

Cauliflower: How could it cause such

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> She also wrote to me and told me to try some now banned in the US
>> medication for gastroparesis. Claimed she gets it when she goes to
>> Sweden (I think that's what she says) and now her gastroparesis is gone.
>> Yeah right!

> She emailed me right after she started posting. I asked her to respond on
> Usenet and she did respect that. I hate clutter in my email box. :-)

I hate it too!

Janet Wilder[_1_] 11-10-2007 02:36 AM

Susan wrote:

> My mothe grew up on the Grand Concourse when it was grand, and graduated
> from Evander Childs HS.

Was the omission of the letter 'r' deliberate? If it was, it was really
funny.

(for those who are not familiar with the accent, people from New York
City are known to drop their final 'r's.)

Jackie Patti[_2_] 24-10-2007 06:58 AM

brigmave wrote:
> I most eat several serving of fruit during the day following the ADA
> guidelines.
> You may laugh, roll on the floor or whatever! You must accept the
> fact that people metabolize foods differently.
> How do you feel about those who are lactose sensitive? Are they
> laughable too?
> Brig

Personally, if someone said their husband was lactose-intolerant and
they posted recipes on a newsgroup for lactose-intolerance, I'd find it
pretty weird if most of the recipes consisted primarily of milk. So
yeah, in that case I'd find them pretty laughable - either they don't
know what lactose-intolerance is, their husband is misdiagnosed or
they're actively trying to kill the guy.

I *don't* follow the ADA guidleines as doing so would require me to take
an awful lot more insulin. However, I eat several serves of fruit each
day also - sticking only to low-sugar fruits like berries, melons and
kiwi. I can't eat them alone though, I need to eat them with a good bit
of fat to avoid a spike... the fat slows the absorption of sugar down
considerably. And rarely at breakfast, fruits work better later in the day.

ObRecipe: Take one cup of fullfat Greek yogurt, stir in 1 TB
strawberry-flavored sugarless DaVinci syrup, measure a cup of whole
strawberries, slice and mix into the yogurt. Makes one serving at 18g
carb, 16g protein and 346 kilocalories.

--
http://www.ornery-geeks.org/consulting/

Jackie Patti[_2_] 24-10-2007 06:59 AM

brigmave wrote:

> Life is just to short to make a disease the focus of ones life.

Shorter still with uncontrolled bg.

--
http://www.ornery-geeks.org/consulting/

Jackie Patti[_2_] 24-10-2007 07:05 AM

Cheri wrote:

> You should have mentioned you were using insulin when you were posting
> all your meals. It explains a lot of why you can eat that way. BTW,
> nobody started any ad hominen attacks, I simply said I didn't believe
> you. Turns out, you are using insulin, so now I do believe your
> numbers.You have a bright future too.

Personally, I don't believe there is a bright future with using a high
level of insulin to cover carbs.

I considered it when I went on insulin myself, that I could maintain bg
control with larger doses of insulin.

But... the thing is, there's too many problems associated with high
levels of serum insulin. It's not as dangerous as high bg, but it's not
trivial either - stuff like increasing plaque deposition in arteries is
not nothing.

ObRecipe:

Pumpkin nut custard: mix together 1/3 cup heavy cream, 1/3 cup water,
1/4 cup cooked mashed pumpkin, 1 egg, 2 TB milk-based protein powder,
sweetener equivalent to 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ginger,
1/4 tsp cloves and 1/8 tsp nutmeg; pour into buttered casserole and bake
at 350 for 30-45 minutes. 9g carb, 12g protein, 213 kilocalories.

--
http://www.ornery-geeks.org/consulting/