Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default CarbQuick question

I got some in the mail today and was wondering if you just use it the
same as you would use regular flour in recipes? It's in a silver bag,
and there is a biscuit recipe on it, but nothing else that I could
see, I might have been blinded by it. :-) TIA Also, Susan, I got some
of the Golden Soy Pasta, and made up a tiny bit to try it. It is
really quite good.

--
Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote in message
. ..
>I got some in the mail today and was wondering if you just use it the
> same as you would use regular flour in recipes? It's in a silver bag,
> and there is a biscuit recipe on it, but nothing else that I could
> see, I might have been blinded by it. :-) TIA Also, Susan, I got some
> of the Golden Soy Pasta, and made up a tiny bit to try it. It is
> really quite good.
>
> --
> Cheri

Cheri, I use a lot of Carbquik. I found their recipes online never
turned out right. I get the best results using Bisquik recipes. The
recipes turn out just as good, if not better, using Carbquik. The
pancakes are wonderful, using the simple bisquik recipe. Biscuits turn
out great, too. It seems the simpler recipes turn out the best.
Cheers, Wizzzer

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Susan > wrote:

: I have Carbquick, and I use it to replace flour in recipes, but I think,
: IIRC, that it already has baking soda and salt in it.

: I've used it for breading eggplant then baking it for eggplant parmesan,
: after seasoning it, too.

: http://www.tovaindustries.com/carbalose/recipe.php

: Susan

sounds like it replaces biscuick, not flour, hence the biscuit recipe.
shoudl make good pancakes too adn maybe doughs to top cobblers, etc.
Never tried it myself so I am just surmising.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Recipe: Apple cake (was CarbQuick question) using CarbQuik

Darn, that sounds good. I think I have to make this, maybe this
weekend.

Thanks,

Cheri

Susan wrote in message >...

>I just made this recipe with CarbQuik, and all I added to it was one
>extra tsp of baking powder, which gave it the right texture and rise:
>
> From The Jewish Holiday Kitchen by Joan Nathan:
>
>Apple Cake
>
>5 large apples, unpeeled
>2 tsp cinnamon
>2 cups sugar (I blended xylitol, erythritol and Diabetisweet)
>4 eggs
>1 cup vegetable oil
>1/2 cup orange juice (I subbed 1/2 cup water with AS and natural

orange
>essence)
>1 tsp vanilla
>3 cups unsifted flour
>3 tsp baking powder (I used only one)
>1/2 tsp salt
>
>1 Preheat oven to 350F. Core and slice apples in eighths. Place in

>large bowl and sprinkle with with the cinnamon and 5 TBS of sugar
>(sweetener mix)
>
>2 Bedat eggs and gradually add remaining sugar, oil, oj and vanilla
>
>3 Sift together flour, salt, baking powder. Combine with egg

mixture

>4 Grease a tube pan and dust with flour (I used non stick and PAM)
>
>5 Pour 1/3 of the batter into the pan. Layer with 1/3 of the

apples.
>Repeat for 2 more layers, ending with apples on top. Bake at 1 1/2
>hours until golden on top. Let sit a few minutes and then unmold.
>

>Susan

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Barbara H wrote in message ...

>This sounds wonderful. One question. Sorry if its a dumb one. What

is the
>AS in the water substitution?
>
>Thanks,
>Barbara H

I believe it's artificial sweetener. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Susan > wrote:

: I just made this recipe with CarbQuik, and all I added to it was one
: extra tsp of baking powder, which gave it the right texture and rise:

: From The Jewish Holiday Kitchen by Joan Nathan:

: Apple Cake

: 5 large apples, unpeeled
: 2 tsp cinnamon
: 2 cups sugar (I blended xylitol, erythritol and Diabetisweet)
: 4 eggs
: 1 cup vegetable oil
: 1/2 cup orange juice (I subbed 1/2 cup water with AS and natural orange
: essence)
: 1 tsp vanilla
: 3 cups unsifted flour
: 3 tsp baking powder (I used only one)
: 1/2 tsp salt

: 1 Preheat oven to 350F. Core and slice apples in eighths. Place in a
: large bowl and sprinkle with with the cinnamon and 5 TBS of sugar
: (sweetener mix)

: 2 Bedat eggs and gradually add remaining sugar, oil, oj and vanilla

: 3 Sift together flour, salt, baking powder. Combine with egg mixture

: 4 Grease a tube pan and dust with flour (I used non stick and PAM)

: 5 Pour 1/3 of the batter into the pan. Layer with 1/3 of the apples.
: Repeat for 2 more layers, ending with apples on top. Bake at 1 1/2
: hours until golden on top. Let sit a few minutes and then unmold.

: Susan

Susan,

this looks good. I think you coul duse the same recipe and make the
German-Austrian plum cake that uses the small Italian prune plums sliced
on top of a dough in a rectangular pan and lightly glazed. I just love
that cake and would love to find a dibetic friendly way to make it. I
might try this recipe, but iam not sure if you need such an eggy cake for
the usual result. Any thoughts?

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Thanks for the info Wizzer. I appreciate it. :-)

Cheri

Wizzzer wrote in message ...

>Cheri, I use a lot of Carbquik. I found their recipes online never
>turned out right. I get the best results using Bisquik recipes. The
>recipes turn out just as good, if not better, using Carbquik. The
>pancakes are wonderful, using the simple bisquik recipe. Biscuits

turn
>out great, too. It seems the simpler recipes turn out the best.
>Cheers, Wizzzer

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Wizzzer > wrote:

: "Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote in message
: . ..
: >I got some in the mail today and was wondering if you just use it the
: > same as you would use regular flour in recipes? It's in a silver bag,
: > and there is a biscuit recipe on it, but nothing else that I could
: > see, I might have been blinded by it. :-) TIA Also, Susan, I got some
: > of the Golden Soy Pasta, and made up a tiny bit to try it. It is
: > really quite good.
: >
: > --
: > Cheri
: >

: Cheri, I use a lot of Carbquik. I found their recipes online never
: turned out right. I get the best results using Bisquik recipes. The
: recipes turn out just as good, if not better, using Carbquik. The
: pancakes are wonderful, using the simple bisquik recipe. Biscuits turn
: out great, too. It seems the simpler recipes turn out the best.
: Cheers, Wizzzer

If I don't have a box of bisquik can ou get the recipes from the net?

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote in message ...

>If I don't have a box of bisquik can ou get the recipes from the net?
>
>Wendy

Yes, I went to Google and typed in Bisquick recipes and there were a
lot of them there.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote:

> W. Baker wrote in message ...
>
> >If I don't have a box of bisquik can ou get the recipes from the net?
> >
> >Wendy

> Yes, I went to Google and typed in Bisquick recipes and there were a
> lot of them there.

I just wish Carbquick tasted like Bisquick. I grew up on Bisquick, and
Carbquick has a very funny taste to my mouth. I found it too strong
when making cobbler. I used to tolerate it in chicken and dumplings,
but I may not be able to push myself to try it again.

Priscilla

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Priscilla H. Ballou wrote in message ...
>In article >,
> "Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote:
>
>> W. Baker wrote in message ...
>>
>> >If I don't have a box of bisquik can ou get the recipes from the

net?

>> >Wendy

>> Yes, I went to Google and typed in Bisquick recipes and there were

>> lot of them there.

>I just wish Carbquick tasted like Bisquick. I grew up on Bisquick,

and
>Carbquick has a very funny taste to my mouth. I found it too strong
>when making cobbler. I used to tolerate it in chicken and dumplings,
>but I may not be able to push myself to try it again.
>
>Priscilla

I haven't used it yet either, but I'm hoping it tastes decent to me.
That's what happened with Splenda with me. It leaves a terrible
aftertaste, so I have an aversion to it.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cheri wrote:

> I haven't used it yet either, but I'm hoping it tastes decent to me.
> That's what happened with Splenda with me. It leaves a terrible
> aftertaste, so I have an aversion to it.

Cheri and everyone else who is going to try Carbquick:

Know that it doesn't work for everybody. DH spiked higher on Carbquick
then he ever did on white flour.

Test, test test!!! Trust no one but your meter.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote:

> Priscilla H. Ballou wrote in message ...
> >In article >,

> net?

> >> Yes, I went to Google and typed in Bisquick recipes and there were

> >> lot of them there.

> >I just wish Carbquick tasted like Bisquick. I grew up on Bisquick,

> and
> >Carbquick has a very funny taste to my mouth. I found it too strong
> >when making cobbler. I used to tolerate it in chicken and dumplings,
> >but I may not be able to push myself to try it again.
> >
> >Priscilla

> I haven't used it yet either, but I'm hoping it tastes decent to me.
> That's what happened with Splenda with me. It leaves a terrible
> aftertaste, so I have an aversion to it.

I get a bad taste (different from Carbquick taste) from Splenda, too.
It's probably a "supertaster" thing or the like.

Priscilla
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

>Cheri and everyone else who is going to try Carbquick:
>
>Know that it doesn't work for everybody. DH spiked higher on

Carbquick
>then he ever did on white flour.

Thanks for the warning Janet. I usually do when trying new foods, but
it's helpful to be reminded. I was glad that the golden soy pasta
Susan mentioned didn't spike me at all after making a 1oz serving
yesterday. I think it tastes very good. The Dreamfields doesn't work
for me at all, so hopefully the CarbQuik will.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Susan wrote:
> W. Baker wrote:
>> How about that chrystal Light fake OJ?

> I never buy artificially sweetened stuff like that, how's it taste?

I don't think the OJ is very good, but it's edible. The Raspberry
flavor is very good. But I prefer stevia-sweetened lemonade or limeade
most of the time.

They have little individual serving packets of Crystal Light that you
can add to water. I get them to take to events like Arisia where I know
there will be lots of bottled water available. They're quite handy to
have around when squeezing citrus would be inconvenient.

--
http://www.ornery-geeks.org/consulting/

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Susan wrote:

> I've used it to replace flour, in a small quantity, in my killer
> brownies, and all is fine.

Hullo, where is this killer brownie recipe?!?!

--
http://www.ornery-geeks.org/consulting/
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:

> this looks good. I think you coul duse the same recipe and make the
> German-Austrian plum cake that uses the small Italian prune plums sliced
> on top of a dough in a rectangular pan and lightly glazed. I just love
> that cake and would love to find a dibetic friendly way to make it. I
> might try this recipe, but iam not sure if you need such an eggy cake for
> the usual result. Any thoughts?

I think you should invite me over to eat!

Some of the stuff you guys come up with just sounds awesome.

--
http://www.ornery-geeks.org/consulting/
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

x-no-rchive: yes

Jackie Patti wrote:
> Susan wrote:
>
>> I've used it to replace flour, in a small quantity, in my killer
>> brownies, and all is fine.

> Hullo, where is this killer brownie recipe?!?!

It's in the blue Scharffen Berger bittersweet baking chocolate package. :-)

I just googled up a thread about them and found it:

Robert's Fudgy Brownies

: Ingredients:

: 8 oz. Scharffenberger 70% bittersweet chocolate, chopped
: 6 TBS unsalted butter, cubed, plus extra for pan
: 1/4 tsp. salt
: 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract (optional)
: 1 scant cup sugar (I used erythritol, and the brownies were too sweet
: for my dark chocolate loving taste, so I'd cut it to 3/4 or 2/3 Cup next
: time)
: 2 large eggs
: 1/3 cup all purpose flour (I plan to try CarbSense bake mix)
: 1/2 to 1 Cup chopped nuts (optional)

: Method:

: 1. Adjust a rack 1/3 from the bottom of the oven and preheat to 350 F.
: Butter an 8 x 8 inch pan (I used Pam) and line with parchment (I didn't)

: 2. Place the chocolate and butter in a large stainless steel bowl and
: place over a pan of gently simmering water. Stir occasionally until
: melted and smooth. Remove from heat.

: 3. Beat the salt, vanilla (if using) and sugar into the melted
: chocolate mixture. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Add the flour and
: mix th batter vigorously until it becomes very shiny and pulls away from
: the sides of the bowl *(This may take more time and more vigorous mixing
: than you are accustomed to when making brownies, but it is critical to
: the success of this recipe; depending on how vigorously you mix, it
: could take up to several minutes* [Author Quote]) Stir in the nuts, if
: using. Turn the mixture into the prepared pan and bake until a
: toothpick inserted in the center comes out moist, but free of batter;
: about 30-40 minutes. Cool on a rack.

: That's it. More work than I recall from past brownie making, but an
: amazingly rich, chocolatey brownie. Recipe originally from Maida
: Heater's "Great Desserts."

I've found that making Tom beat it into a stiff batter with a whisk is
the best method. Spreads into the pan like thick frosting. I also think
the texture is best (less crumbly) the next day.

Here's Pete R's nutritional breakdown:

Each (2 inch) Brownie contains an estimated:
Cals: 247, FatCals: 200, TotFat: 12g
SatFat: 11g, PolyFat: 3g, MonoFat: 6g
Chol: 12mg, Na: 52mg, K: 76mg
TotCarbs: 10g, Fiber: 1g, Sugars: 0g
NetCarbs: 9g, Protein: 3g
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cheri wrote:
> I got some in the mail today and was wondering if you just use it the
> same as you would use regular flour in recipes? It's in a silver bag,
> and there is a biscuit recipe on it, but nothing else that I could
> see, I might have been blinded by it. :-) TIA Also, Susan, I got some
> of the Golden Soy Pasta, and made up a tiny bit to try it. It is
> really quite good.
>
> --
> Cheri

Pancakes are best. I add lots of liquid egg white and soy milk.

Breading egg plant is also good.

Susan was right about Golden Soy Pasta. It has no "icky" soy flavor. The
texture is rubbery but acceptable.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Uncle Enrico wrote:
> Cheri wrote:
>
>> I got some in the mail today and was wondering if you just use it the
>> same as you would use regular flour in recipes? It's in a silver bag,
>> and there is a biscuit recipe on it, but nothing else that I could
>> see, I might have been blinded by it. :-) TIA Also, Susan, I got some
>> of the Golden Soy Pasta, and made up a tiny bit to try it. It is
>> really quite good.
>>
>> --
>> Cheri
>>

> Pancakes are best. I add lots of liquid egg white and soy milk.
>
> Breading egg plant is also good.
>
> Susan was right about Golden Soy Pasta. It has no "icky" soy flavor. The
> texture is rubbery but acceptable.

Have you tried the Maple Grove Farms Sugar Free mIX?? oNE SERVING is 1/3
cup dry mix. Total carbs 11gms, Fibre 5 gms, net carbs 6 carbs. Hubby
really liked it,especially with low carb syrup. He had it with the usual
sugar-free stuff, and also Vermont healthy stuff. Can't give the numbers
or details, because it is in the RV. It is very low, though!

I found this in New England, and also at the Commissary in Maryland.

Gillian

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Susan wrote in message

>I haven't seen that one anywhere yet, but I'm very happy with the big
>bag of bulk CarbQuik I can buy online. It worked really well to

thicken
>a mushroom cream sauce for dinner the other night, too.

Yes, I really like the CarbQuik too. I used it just like flour to oven
bake some chicken, and it was very good, no spike or anything. I am in
a weight loss mode right now, so I didn't eat a lot of it, but it was
tasty, no aftertaste or anything either. :-)

Cheri

carbquick experiments krom Diabetic 0 24-12-2007 01:47 PM
Modifying Carbquick for Pizza Uncle Enrico Diabetic 0 01-12-2007 08:30 PM
CarbQuick Experiment #1 Barbara H Diabetic 5 06-10-2007 06:07 AM
Please Answer My Serious Question [was Question about Wine, Bacteria, and Stench] Radium Winemaking 6 09-07-2006 11:22 PM
The Carbquick is Here! Janet Wilder Diabetic 4 05-05-2006 09:34 PM