Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Spaghetti Squash

Hi all. I am interested in trying out spaghetti squash for use as
spaghetti under sauce. I have no idea how to cook it or anything though,
so I'd appreciate a recipe or tips or something. I've already got a good
meat sauce recipe, just want something lower carb than pasta to go under it.
Actually, a friend of mine was just diagnosed as a pre-diabetic and her
regular doc (very savvy if you ask me) is being very pro-active about
it. She has a meter and test strips (prescribed) and is on metformin.
Her doc told her to eat to the meter. (more or less, she said, if you
wonder about a particular food, eat it and then test. If your meter says
it's o.k., keep eating it. If your meter says it isn't o.k., change). My
friend has been trying to lose weight for a while, and has been doing a
really great job of low carbing it. (her doc said no MORE than 45g of
carb at a meal, and less is always good. Her doc also uses the stricter
AACE BG's rather than the ADA BG and this is her PCP not an endo!). She
has a strong family history of type II diabetes, and her dad is in VERY
poor health because he eats whatever he wants and doesn't test his
sugar, or take his meds (he's on insulin now, but doesn't really take
that either..), so she has some good motivation to get in control and
quickly. She doesn't want her pre-diabetes to turn into diabetes, and
she's hoping that by losing weight she can no longer even have
pre-diabetes. She has also been wanting to try spaghetti squash. I plan
to have her and her husband over for dinner as soon as I'm settled in my
new place, and thought it would be a great time to try out the spaghetti
squash. (I'd also boil some spaghetti for her husband, who is not a fan
of many things vegetable. Though I told her if she smothered the squash
with sauce before serving it to him, her husband would never notice that
it wasn't really spaghetti...)

Anyways, any info on how to prepare spaghetti squash would be quite
welcome. Thanks!

Emily
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 06:16:18 GMT, Emily >
wrote:

>Hi all. I am interested in trying out spaghetti squash for use as
>spaghetti under sauce. I have no idea how to cook it or anything though,

Wow, I envy your friend her doctor!

Try this:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourc...e+Search&meta=

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.6% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

)

> Anyways, any info on how to prepare spaghetti squash would be quite
> welcome. Thanks!
>
> Emily

Hi Emily,

I live by myself, so I look for small size squash.

I cut them in half, put one half in a microwave safe
bowl after scraping out the seeds (just like cleaning
a pumpkin for Hallowe'en), and put a little bit of
water in the bottom of the bowl (maybe two or three
tablespoons). Cover with plastic wrap, poke a few
holes to let the steam out, and put in the microwave.

Now, I have a 700-watt unit with a turntable. I put
it on high for 6 minutes, give it a minute to cool, and
then test with a fork - if it goes in easily, the squash
is done. If it is still a little hard, put it back in for
another four minutes or so. (Again, depending on
the power of your microwave, times may vary.
Also, if you don't have a turntable, do it for two
minutes a time, and rotate the bowl a quarter turn
each time.)

Once a fork slides in easily, let the squash cool
for a minute or two (unless you have asbestos
hands - then you can dig right in!). Now rake the
squash with a fork, going the long way down, not
across. The squash will magically separate into
separate strands. Put these into a bowl, and keep
going until all the flesh is gone. I find one small
half squash gives me two servings. (A small
squash to me is about the size of a canteloupe;
larger ones are about the size of a football, and
will give at least four servings.)

You can also bake the squash in a 375 oven,
uncovered, again in a small amount of water.
Depending on size, it may take anywhere from
45 minutes to 1 1/4 hours - test with a fork for
doneness. If you're going to serve it plain as a
side dish, you can sprinkle it with a little brown
sugar substitute and cinnamon.

But since I was a serious pasta lover, I use it
with a variety of spaghetti sauces (all tomato
based; I don't find it goes well with cream type
sauces.) If you want a vegetarian sauce, take
any jar/canned sauce, chop some celery and
onions (not too fine; you want the crunch), and
then add some sauteed mushrooms at the end.
Since I'm a carnivore, I'll add bacon, ham, or
ground beef (actually, whatever I have around).

You can also put servings into freezer bags,
and keep them for a few months - this really
speeds up prep time.

It's not exactly like pasta, but it's close
enough, it's good for you, and it won't send
your blood sugar through the roof. A 1-cup
serving only has about 6 net carbs.

Good luck!

Kevin

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Emily" > wrote in message
> Hi all. I am interested in trying out spaghetti squash for use as
> spaghetti under sauce.

<snipped for brevity>

Emily, it sounds like your friend is on the right track to controlling her
diabetes. Kudos to her, and to you for being such a caring friend!

Here's an excellent recipe for spaghetti squash I found several years ago.
Enjoy!

Karen
Type 2

SPAGHETTI SQUASH CASSEROLE

1 spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise and seeds removed
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped (I used only 1)
1 teaspoon dried basil
2 plum tomatoes, chopped
1 cup (8 oz.) 1% cottage cheese (can substitute ricotta for smoother
texture)
1/2 cup (2 oz.) shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup (1 oz.) grated Parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons seasoned dried bread crumbs

1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Coat a 13" x 9" baking dish and a baking sheet
with cooking spray. Place the squash, cut side down, on the sheet. Bake for
30 minutes, or until tender when pierced with a sharp knife. With a fork,
scrape the squash strands into a large bowl.

2. Meanwhile, warm the oil in a medium skillet set over medium heat. Add the
onion, garlic, and basil. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the onion is
soft. Add the tomatoes. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the mixture is
dry.

3. To the bowl with the squash, add the cottage cheese, mozzarella, parsley,
salt, and the onion mixture. Stir to mix. Pour into the prepared baking
dish. Sprinkle with the Parmesan and bread crumbs.

4. Bake for 30 minutes, or until bubbly and heated through. Makes 6 servings

Per serving: 142 cal; 12 g carbohydrates; 6 g fat; 2 g saturated fat; 11 mg.
cholesterol; 3 g fiber; 405 mg. sodium

Diet exchanges: 0 milk, 1 1/2 vegetable; 0 fruit; 1/2 bread; 1 1/2 meat; 1
fat

From Prevention magazine's "Outsmart Diabetes Cookbook"

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Hi Emily,

I cut it in half lengthwise. Then I scoop out all the seeds and discard
them. Next I put the two halves back together and wrap the whole thing in
aluminum foil.

Bake it at 350 for about an hour, or until it feels sort of softened to the
touch.

Unwrap it, and using a fork, shred away all the strands into a bowl from
both halves.

Serve it any way you like.

I like to sautee some onions till they are softened, then dump the squash in
with the onions, and toss till it is warmed up again and the onions are
blended with the squash. Sprinkle with parmigian cheese and salt and pepper
and enjoy.

--
Best Regards,

Evelyn
"Emily" > wrote in message
> Hi all. I am interested in trying out spaghetti squash for use as
> spaghetti under sauce. I have no idea how to cook it or anything though,
> so I'd appreciate a recipe or tips or something. I've already got a good
> meat sauce recipe, just want something lower carb than pasta to go under
> it.
> Actually, a friend of mine was just diagnosed as a pre-diabetic and her
> regular doc (very savvy if you ask me) is being very pro-active about it.
> She has a meter and test strips (prescribed) and is on metformin. Her doc
> told her to eat to the meter. (more or less, she said, if you wonder about
> a particular food, eat it and then test. If your meter says it's o.k.,
> keep eating it. If your meter says it isn't o.k., change). My friend has
> been trying to lose weight for a while, and has been doing a really great
> job of low carbing it. (her doc said no MORE than 45g of carb at a meal,
> and less is always good. Her doc also uses the stricter AACE BG's rather
> than the ADA BG and this is her PCP not an endo!). She has a strong
> family history of type II diabetes, and her dad is in VERY poor health
> because he eats whatever he wants and doesn't test his sugar, or take his
> meds (he's on insulin now, but doesn't really take that either..), so she
> has some good motivation to get in control and quickly. She doesn't want
> her pre-diabetes to turn into diabetes, and she's hoping that by losing
> weight she can no longer even have pre-diabetes. She has also been
> wanting to try spaghetti squash. I plan to have her and her husband over
> for dinner as soon as I'm settled in my new place, and thought it would be
> a great time to try out the spaghetti squash. (I'd also boil some
> spaghetti for her husband, who is not a fan of many things vegetable.
> Though I told her if she smothered the squash with sauce before serving it
> to him, her husband would never notice that it wasn't really spaghetti...)
>
> Anyways, any info on how to prepare spaghetti squash would be quite
> welcome. Thanks!
>
> Emily

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Pray tell... what is squash ?

For me, it has always been juice extract from a fruit, but it seems
NOT to be that in this case .. or am I wrong ?
Thanks,
Frank

"Emily" > a écrit s21...
> Hi all. I am interested in trying out spaghetti squash for use as
> spaghetti under sauce. I have no idea how to cook it or anything though,
> so I'd appreciate a recipe or tips or something. I've already got a good
> meat sauce recipe, just want something lower carb than pasta to go under
> it.
> Actually, a friend of mine was just diagnosed as a pre-diabetic and her
> regular doc (very savvy if you ask me) is being very pro-active about it.
> She has a meter and test strips (prescribed) and is on metformin. Her doc
> told her to eat to the meter. (more or less, she said, if you wonder about
> a particular food, eat it and then test. If your meter says it's o.k.,
> keep eating it. If your meter says it isn't o.k., change). My friend has
> been trying to lose weight for a while, and has been doing a really great
> job of low carbing it. (her doc said no MORE than 45g of carb at a meal,
> and less is always good. Her doc also uses the stricter AACE BG's rather
> than the ADA BG and this is her PCP not an endo!). She has a strong
> family history of type II diabetes, and her dad is in VERY poor health
> because he eats whatever he wants and doesn't test his sugar, or take his
> meds (he's on insulin now, but doesn't really take that either..), so she
> has some good motivation to get in control and quickly. She doesn't want
> her pre-diabetes to turn into diabetes, and she's hoping that by losing
> weight she can no longer even have pre-diabetes. She has also been
> wanting to try spaghetti squash. I plan to have her and her husband over
> for dinner as soon as I'm settled in my new place, and thought it would be
> a great time to try out the spaghetti squash. (I'd also boil some
> spaghetti for her husband, who is not a fan of many things vegetable.
> Though I told her if she smothered the squash with sauce before serving it
> to him, her husband would never notice that it wasn't really spaghetti...)
>
> Anyways, any info on how to prepare spaghetti squash would be quite
> welcome. Thanks!
>
> Emily

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

KevinB wrote:
Snipped but read

> It's not exactly like pasta, but it's close
> enough, it's good for you, and it won't send
> your blood sugar through the roof. A 1-cup
> serving only has about 6 net carbs.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Kevin

Thanks for the cooking method. I don't generally microwave things, but
this seems like it should work just fine.

Emily
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 06:16:18 GMT, Emily >
> wrote:
>
>> Hi all. I am interested in trying out spaghetti squash for use as
>> spaghetti under sauce. I have no idea how to cook it or anything though,

> Wow, I envy your friend her doctor!
>
> Try this:
> http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourc...e+Search&meta=
>
> Nicky.
> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
> D&E, 100ug thyroxine
> Last A1c 5.6% BMI 25

Thanks Nicky. Seems I forgot how to google last night.

Emily
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Karen in NC wrote:
> "Emily" > wrote in message
>> Hi all. I am interested in trying out spaghetti squash for use as
>> spaghetti under sauce.

> <snipped for brevity>
>
> Emily, it sounds like your friend is on the right track to controlling her
> diabetes. Kudos to her, and to you for being such a caring friend!
>
> Here's an excellent recipe for spaghetti squash I found several years ago.
> Enjoy!
>
> Karen
> Type 2
>
> SPAGHETTI SQUASH CASSEROLE
>
> 1 spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise and seeds removed
> 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
> 1 small onion, chopped
> 2 cloves garlic, chopped (I used only 1)
> 1 teaspoon dried basil
> 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
> 1 cup (8 oz.) 1% cottage cheese (can substitute ricotta for smoother
> texture)
> 1/2 cup (2 oz.) shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
> 1/4 cup chopped parsley
> 1/4 teaspoon salt
> 1/4 cup (1 oz.) grated Parmesan cheese
> 3 tablespoons seasoned dried bread crumbs
>
> 1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Coat a 13" x 9" baking dish and a baking sheet
> with cooking spray. Place the squash, cut side down, on the sheet. Bake for
> 30 minutes, or until tender when pierced with a sharp knife. With a fork,
> scrape the squash strands into a large bowl.
>
> 2. Meanwhile, warm the oil in a medium skillet set over medium heat. Add the
> onion, garlic, and basil. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the onion is
> soft. Add the tomatoes. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the mixture is
> dry.
>
> 3. To the bowl with the squash, add the cottage cheese, mozzarella, parsley,
> salt, and the onion mixture. Stir to mix. Pour into the prepared baking
> dish. Sprinkle with the Parmesan and bread crumbs.
>
> 4. Bake for 30 minutes, or until bubbly and heated through. Makes 6 servings
>
> Per serving: 142 cal; 12 g carbohydrates; 6 g fat; 2 g saturated fat; 11 mg.
> cholesterol; 3 g fiber; 405 mg. sodium
>
> Diet exchanges: 0 milk, 1 1/2 vegetable; 0 fruit; 1/2 bread; 1 1/2 meat; 1
> fat
>
> From Prevention magazine's "Outsmart Diabetes Cookbook"

My friend just found out about her pre-diabetes about a month ago. I
found out about my diabetes in Jan. (when I got a UTI that also showed
sugar and ketones in my urine...) I do sometimes taunt her a bit
(without meaning to) by mentioning eating things she can't and injecting
insulin for it. However, when we eat together we both prepare meals
that are friendly for her blood sugars. (other than the cheesecake I
make sometimes, but well, I made it only once for she and her husband,
and it was before she was pre-diabetic....) I make cheesecake to share
with others. I will have a TINY slice and inject for it (it is totally
real, sugar, ghram cracker crust everything, though I've been thinking I
could make a friendly one with a ground almond crust and splenda, the
cheese and eggs are not carby, and as long as one didn't eat tons of
it(cause it would be high in fat etc.) it would be o.k.), and leave the
rest of it with whomever I shared it with so I'm not tempted to eat more...

This recipe looks really yummy. I'll have to try it some time. My first
taste test with spaghetti squash will be under a traditional spaghetti
meat sauce. (so I can use regular pasta for my friends husband, who as
far as we know isn't diabetic. Of course, he hasn't been to a doctor in
several years, so he could be...and it certainly wouldn't hurt him to
eat the way we do, but he would balk at it.)

Emily
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

x-no archive: yes
Susan wrote:

> Emily, I'm a really lazy cook so this works for me: pierce the squash
> all the way to hte center in several places, place it on a paper towel
> in the microwave and cook on high for 10-15 minutes, til soft. Then use
> forks to scrape out the spaghetti strands. Drain it well, or you'll end
> up with very watery sauce.
>
> Susan

Thanks. I'll be sure to drain the squash well! Looks easy enough to cook.

Emily

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn Ruut wrote:
> Hi Emily,
>
> I cut it in half lengthwise. Then I scoop out all the seeds and
> discard them. Next I put the two halves back together and wrap the
> whole thing in aluminum foil.
>
> Bake it at 350 for about an hour, or until it feels sort of softened to
> the touch.
>
> Unwrap it, and using a fork, shred away all the strands into a bowl from
> both halves.
>
> Serve it any way you like.
>
> I like to sautee some onions till they are softened, then dump the
> squash in with the onions, and toss till it is warmed up again and the
> onions are blended with the squash. Sprinkle with parmigian cheese and
> salt and pepper and enjoy.

Thanks for the cooking tip (I use my oven more than the microwave, but
if it is as hot as it's been, I think I may use the microwave, in the
winter I'd probably oven bake it).

The onion and parmesean sounds yummy. I think I might add some garlic to
the mix....

Emily
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Emily" > wrote in message
> Nicky wrote:
>> On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 06:16:18 GMT, Emily >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all. I am interested in trying out spaghetti squash for use as
>>> spaghetti under sauce. I have no idea how to cook it or anything though,

>> Wow, I envy your friend her doctor!
>>
>> Try this:
>> http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourc...e+Search&meta=
>>
>> Nicky.
>> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
>> D&E, 100ug thyroxine
>> Last A1c 5.6% BMI 25

> Thanks Nicky. Seems I forgot how to google last night.

Sometimes we get lazy and like things handed to us on a platter

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 03:56:54 +0200, " Frank t2" >
wrote:

>Pray tell... what is squash ?
>
>For me, it has always been juice extract from a fruit, but it seems
>NOT to be that in this case .. or am I wrong ?
>Thanks,
>Frank

A family of veges. I'm not sure what term they use in France
or the UK. In Australia we call most (not all) of them
pumpkins or gourds. In the USA they call these Squash:

http://www.cityofholland.com/Brix?pageID=830

In my own personal glycemic index I can eat pumpkin (winter
squash) until it's coming out my ears and barely cause a
stir on my meter. So it has become one of my favourite
veges.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraltraveloz.blogspot.com/
latest: Mossman Gorge in the Daintree Rainforest
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/
latest: Self-Testing and Type 2 Management
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Emily > wrote in news:SaBqi.42920$Fc.35057
@attbi_s21:

> Hi all. I am interested in trying out spaghetti squash for use as
> spaghetti under sauce

I cook my spaghetti squash in the microwave. I cut it in half, clean out
the seeds snd crud put it in a pyrex microwave safe glass dish (cut side
down) and nuke it for about 20 minutes on 1/2 power. When cool enough to
handle using a fork I scrape out the 'Spaghetti' mix it with italian
seasoning butter and parm cheese. It is cooked when you push on the outer
shell with your finger and it gives a little.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

TY Alice ...

I devour zucchini ('courgettes' in French) .. like baby cucumbers.

"Alice Faber" > a écrit ...
> " Frank t2" > wrote:
>
>> Pray tell... what is squash ?
>>
>> For me, it has always been juice extract from a fruit, but it seems
>> NOT to be that in this case .. or am I wrong ?

> In the US, squash is a class of vegetables. There are summer squashes
> that are similar in appearance to cucumbers. These are zucchini and
> crook-neck squash, among others. They are incredibly versatile, and fit
> easily into a low-carb eating plan. Winter squash are starchier, but
> most have lots of fiber. These include pumpkin, acorn squash, butternut
> squash, and, for some of us, these need to be eaten more judiciously.
>
> --
> "and the snark alert level has reached "fuschia""
> ---zig zigalo homes in on the meat of the matter

Spaghetti Squash Pie Cheri[_3_] Diabetic 29 10-10-2010 02:36 PM
Spaghetti Squash Cheri[_3_] Diabetic 16 25-09-2010 10:21 AM
Spaghetti Squash Z GIRL General Cooking 26 12-10-2009 04:50 PM
SPAGHETTI SQUASH Mikie[_3_] General Cooking 12 23-05-2009 07:27 PM
Spaghetti squash The Bubbo General Cooking 13 21-03-2006 07:07 AM