Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default A 4th of July dessert for American diabetics

It's glorious summer here in Toronto, and a quart of
local strawberries was only $1.77 Cdn; a pint of
blueberries was the same. Now, I used to love
traditional strawberry shortcake, but the high carb
biscuits and sugar laden whipped cream just make
it out of the question. So I devised this colourful
version that you might enjoy on the 4th.

Ingredients:
1/4-1/3 cup strawberries per person
1/4-1/3 cup blueberries per person
I package Splenda or Sweet n Low
(such as you find at the coffee shop)
per person, or to taste
3 tablespoons per serving of
zero fat, no sugar added yogurt (plain
or flavoured, your choice - I used peach
today because it's what I had on hand.)
Two slices low carb whole grain bread
(I used a whole grain walnut bread -
only 15 net carbs for the two slices,
and you don't end up using the whole
slice as you'll see below.)

Method:
Mix the Sweet n Low into the yogurt
Put the yogurt into the freezer for a few
minutes to firm up while the bread toasts.
Toast both slices of bread.
Using an upside-down glass or ramekin,
place the toast on a flat service, and
centre the glass, then push down
firmly and twist. This should give you
two identical circles of toast.
Remove the yogurt from the freezer,
and spread a thin layer on the top
of each toast circle. (This will help soften
the toast a bit while you prepare the
berries.)
Wash the strawberries and blueberries,
and drain well. (Some people suggest