Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Tortilla bowls

Last night I tried baking Dana Carpender's whey tortillas in cereal
bowls to retain the shape. To my delight, they turned out crispy, and
stayed that way when I piled in salad and tuna mayonnaise. Cool! I'm
now looking forward to the next time I fancy chili...

Nicky.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> Last night I tried baking Dana Carpender's whey tortillas in cereal
> bowls to retain the shape. To my delight, they turned out crispy, and
> stayed that way when I piled in salad and tuna mayonnaise. Cool! I'm
> now looking forward to the next time I fancy chili...
>
> Nicky.

Haven't seen those.... where'd you find them? Carbs?

John

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 06 May 2007 18:20:02 GMT, "johnniemccoy@"
> wrote:

>"Nicky" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Last night I tried baking Dana Carpender's whey tortillas in cereal
>> bowls to retain the shape. To my delight, they turned out crispy, and
>> stayed that way when I piled in salad and tuna mayonnaise. Cool! I'm
>> now looking forward to the next time I fancy chili...
>>
>> Nicky.
>>

>Haven't seen those.... where'd you find them? Carbs?

I MADE 'em, John About 3 apiece.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.5% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 06 May 2007 18:20:02 GMT, "johnniemccoy@"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Nicky" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> Last night I tried baking Dana Carpender's whey tortillas in cereal
>>> bowls to retain the shape. To my delight, they turned out crispy, and
>>> stayed that way when I piled in salad and tuna mayonnaise. Cool! I'm
>>> now looking forward to the next time I fancy chili...
>>>
>>> Nicky.
>>>

>>Haven't seen those.... where'd you find them? Carbs?

> I MADE 'em, John About 3 apiece.
>
> Nicky.

Darn! You know damn well I can't make anything. I tried making some hot
water the other day and had to throw it out cause it wasn't done.

John

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

johnniemccoy@ > wrote:

: "Nicky" > wrote in message
: ...
: > On Sun, 06 May 2007 18:20:02 GMT, "johnniemccoy@"
: > > wrote:
: >
: >>
: >>"Nicky" > wrote in message
: . ..
: >>> Last night I tried baking Dana Carpender's whey tortillas in cereal
: >>> bowls to retain the shape. To my delight, they turned out crispy, and
: >>> stayed that way when I piled in salad and tuna mayonnaise. Cool! I'm
: >>> now looking forward to the next time I fancy chili...
: >>>
: >>> Nicky.
: >>>
: >>Haven't seen those.... where'd you find them? Carbs?
: >
: > I MADE 'em, John About 3 apiece.
: >
: > Nicky.
: >
: Darn! You know damn well I can't make anything. I tried making some hot
: water the other day and had to throw it out cause it wasn't done.

: John
I get lower carb tortillas in NYC, about 8-10 pre large tortilla, rather
than 25-30 for the regular ones. Mission makes them as well as some
others, but I forget the brands.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:
> johnniemccoy@ > wrote:
>
> : "Nicky" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > On Sun, 06 May 2007 18:20:02 GMT, "johnniemccoy@"
> : > > wrote:
> : >
> : >>
> : >>"Nicky" > wrote in message
> : . ..
> : >>> Last night I tried baking Dana Carpender's whey tortillas in cereal
> : >>> bowls to retain the shape. To my delight, they turned out crispy, and
> : >>> stayed that way when I piled in salad and tuna mayonnaise. Cool! I'm
> : >>> now looking forward to the next time I fancy chili...
> : >>>
> : >>> Nicky.
> : >>>
> : >>Haven't seen those.... where'd you find them? Carbs?
> : >
> : > I MADE 'em, John About 3 apiece.
> : >
> : > Nicky.
> : >
> : Darn! You know damn well I can't make anything. I tried making some hot
> : water the other day and had to throw it out cause it wasn't done.
>
> : John
> I get lower carb tortillas in NYC, about 8-10 pre large tortilla, rather
> than 25-30 for the regular ones. Mission makes them as well as some
> others, but I forget the brands.
>
> Wendy

Wendy,

Have you ever tried to bake them in bowls, like Nicky did??? If so, what
sort of bowl?? Corning ware, would that survive?? I haven't tried it,
but it sounds such a great idea! Taco salads leap to mind!!

Gillian
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> johnniemccoy@ > wrote:
>
> : "Nicky" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > On Sun, 06 May 2007 18:20:02 GMT, "johnniemccoy@"
> : > > wrote:
> : >
> : >>
> : >>"Nicky" > wrote in message
> : . ..
> : >>> Last night I tried baking Dana Carpender's whey tortillas in cereal
> : >>> bowls to retain the shape. To my delight, they turned out crispy,
> and
> : >>> stayed that way when I piled in salad and tuna mayonnaise. Cool! I'm
> : >>> now looking forward to the next time I fancy chili...
> : >>>
> : >>> Nicky.
> : >>>
> : >>Haven't seen those.... where'd you find them? Carbs?
> : >
> : > I MADE 'em, John About 3 apiece.
> : >
> : > Nicky.
> : >
> : Darn! You know damn well I can't make anything. I tried making some hot
> : water the other day and had to throw it out cause it wasn't done.
>
> : John
> I get lower carb tortillas in NYC, about 8-10 pre large tortilla, rather
> than 25-30 for the regular ones. Mission makes them as well as some
> others, but I forget the brands.
>
> Wendy

Oh yeah, I get them here too.... I meant those bowl things. I can't go to
NYC... I get dizzy looking up.

John

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Gill Murray > wrote:

: W. Baker wrote:
: > johnniemccoy@ > wrote:
: >
: > : "Nicky" > wrote in message
: > : ...
: > : > On Sun, 06 May 2007 18:20:02 GMT, "johnniemccoy@"
: > : > > wrote:
: > : >
: > : >>
: > : >>"Nicky" > wrote in message
: > : . ..
: > : >>> Last night I tried baking Dana Carpender's whey tortillas in cereal
: > : >>> bowls to retain the shape. To my delight, they turned out crispy, and
: > : >>> stayed that way when I piled in salad and tuna mayonnaise. Cool! I'm
: > : >>> now looking forward to the next time I fancy chili...
: > : >>>
: > : >>> Nicky.
: > : >>>
[...]

I have not tried it, but they do get crisped up in the oven when I use
them for diabetic pizza.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 06 May 2007 18:20:02 GMT, "johnniemccoy@"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Nicky" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> Last night I tried baking Dana Carpender's whey tortillas in cereal
>>> bowls to retain the shape. To my delight, they turned out crispy, and
>>> stayed that way when I piled in salad and tuna mayonnaise. Cool! I'm
>>> now looking forward to the next time I fancy chili...
>>>
>>> Nicky.
>>>

>>Haven't seen those.... where'd you find them? Carbs?

> I MADE 'em, John About 3 apiece.
>
> Nicky.

Ok... I just made one.. it worked, only mine is square. I'm not gonna eat
it.... but I made it.

John

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"johnniemccoy@" > wrote in message

> "Nicky" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 06 May 2007 18:20:02 GMT, "johnniemccoy@"
>> > wrote:

>>>Haven't seen those.... where'd you find them? Carbs?

>> I MADE 'em, John About 3 apiece.
>>
>> Nicky.
>>

> Ok... I just made one.. it worked, only mine is square. I'm not gonna eat
> it.... but I made it.
>
> John

Hey... I know. I'm going to try cutting them into about 2 inch squares and
put different spices on them like garlic power, cayenne pepper, or splenda
and cinnamon.... I don't know... just stuff.
Maybe I can crisp them up and make fake potato chips....haha

John

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I use a microwave safe bowl, spray it with Pam, turn it upside down,
lay the tortilla on top, and nuke on high while watching it carefully.
It molds to the shape of the bowl and crisps up really well. Just be
careful not to let it burn, because once it starts to brown, it cooks
really quickly.

Cheri

W. Baker wrote in message ...
>Gill Murray > wrote:
>

>: W. Baker wrote:

>: Have you ever tried to bake them in bowls, like Nicky did??? If so,

what
>: sort of bowl?? Corning ware, would that survive?? I haven't tried

it,
>: but it sounds such a great idea! Taco salads leap to mind!!
>
>: Gillian
>
>I have not tried it, but they do get crisped up in the oven when I

use
>them for diabetic pizza.
>
>Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 08 May 2007 01:46:23 GMT, "johnniemccoy@"
> wrote:

>Maybe I can crisp them up and make fake potato chips....haha

Sounds good - ones I've overcooked by accident have made nice dip
scoopers. Let us know if you get a good spice combo...

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.5% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Thanks Cheri,

Duh, I didn't think of nuking; I was thinking real oven and heat!

Gillian

Cheri wrote:
> I use a microwave safe bowl, spray it with Pam, turn it upside down,
> lay the tortilla on top, and nuke on high while watching it carefully.
> It molds to the shape of the bowl and crisps up really well. Just be
> careful not to let it burn, because once it starts to brown, it cooks
> really quickly.
>
> Cheri
>

> W. Baker wrote in message ...
>
>>Gill Murray > wrote:
>>

>>: W. Baker wrote:

>>: Have you ever tried to bake them in bowls, like Nicky did??? If so,

> what
>
>>: sort of bowl?? Corning ware, would that survive?? I haven't tried

> it,
>
>>: but it sounds such a great idea! Taco salads leap to mind!!
>>
>>: Gillian
>>
>>I have not tried it, but they do get crisped up in the oven when I

> use
>
>>them for diabetic pizza.
>>
>>Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

LOL Gill, I actually won $50.00 from a women's magazine with that
suggestion a few years ago, the only thing I ever submitted. Hey, have
a great trip and a safe trip. I envy you. :-)

Cheri

Gill Murray wrote in message ...
>Thanks Cheri,
>
>Duh, I didn't think of nuking; I was thinking real oven and heat!
>
>Gillian
>
>Cheri wrote:
>> I use a microwave safe bowl, spray it with Pam, turn it upside

down,
>> lay the tortilla on top, and nuke on high while watching it

carefully.
>> It molds to the shape of the bowl and crisps up really well. Just

be
>> careful not to let it burn, because once it starts to brown, it

cooks
>> really quickly.
>>
>> Cheri
>>

>> W. Baker wrote in message ...
>>
>>>Gill Murray > wrote:
>>>

>>>: W. Baker wrote:

>>>: Have you ever tried to bake them in bowls, like Nicky did??? If

so,

>> what
>>
>>>: sort of bowl?? Corning ware, would that survive?? I haven't tried

>> it,
>>
>>>: but it sounds such a great idea! Taco salads leap to mind!!
>>>
>>>: Gillian
>>>
>>>I have not tried it, but they do get crisped up in the oven when I

>> use
>>
>>>them for diabetic pizza.
>>>
>>>Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

johnniemccoy@ > wrote:
: Hey... I know. I'm going to try cutting them into about 2 inch squares and
: put different spices on them like garlic power, cayenne pepper, or splenda
: and cinnamon.... I don't know... just stuff.
: Maybe I can crisp them up and make fake potato chips....haha

: John

You can make them with pita, which is available low carb aroun d here and
might well be albe to use the tortillas. Jut cut into pie wedge shapes,
spray a little oil, add salt r spices as desired, and bake.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

> Hey... I know. I'm going to try cutting them into about 2 inch squares and
> put different spices on them like garlic power, cayenne pepper, or splenda
> and cinnamon.... I don't know... just stuff.
> Maybe I can crisp them up and make fake potato chips....haha

You can make baked chips that way. Simply cut into triangles and bake. If
you want a bit of fat, you can spray them with oil. If they are a wheat
based tortilla, you can make a dessert from them by sprinkling with cinnamon
and sugar or a sweetener if you don't want the sugar. It doesn't take a lot
of sugar so that works for me. If you are not concerned about fat, dip the
chips in melted butter before seasoning. Just be careful because they do
bake pretty quickly.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> Last night I tried baking Dana Carpender's whey tortillas in cereal
> bowls to retain the shape. To my delight, they turned out crispy, and
> stayed that way when I piled in salad and tuna mayonnaise. Cool! I'm
> now looking forward to the next time I fancy chili...
>
> Nicky.

I tried it last week - when you posted this. I put mine in a square bowl,
though. I've still got it. It's just setting there on the stove. I'll don't
intend using it for anything but it looks so cool I can't bear to throw it
away.

John

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 12 May 2007 04:15:57 GMT, "johnniemccoy@"
> wrote:

>"Nicky" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Last night I tried baking Dana Carpender's whey tortillas in cereal
>> bowls to retain the shape. To my delight, they turned out crispy, and
>> stayed that way when I piled in salad and tuna mayonnaise. Cool! I'm
>> now looking forward to the next time I fancy chili...
>>
>> Nicky.
>>

>I tried it last week - when you posted this. I put mine in a square bowl,
>though. I've still got it. It's just setting there on the stove. I'll don't
>intend using it for anything but it looks so cool I can't bear to throw it
>away.

Low carb as art form