Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default More Fake Lasagna

I'm thinking about trying a lasagna using lavash bread (kinda like a square
tortilla made with flax, oat bran and whole wheat flour). Figured I'd cut a
piece the width of the thing I cook it in, put a little stuff in the bottom
then fold the bread over... put some more stuff in and fold over again and
so on (if the folding doesn't look right I'll just cut it to size).

What I'm asking of some of you experienced cooks is, am I going to make a
disgusting mess or is it worth trying? (lol)

John

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"johnniemccoy@" > wrote in message
> I'm thinking about trying a lasagna using lavash bread (kinda like a
> square tortilla made with flax, oat bran and whole wheat flour). Figured
> I'd cut a piece the width of the thing I cook it in, put a little stuff in
> the bottom then fold the bread over... put some more stuff in and fold
> over again and so on (if the folding doesn't look right I'll just cut it
> to size).
>
> What I'm asking of some of you experienced cooks is, am I going to make a
> disgusting mess or is it worth trying? (lol)

I'm thinking huge disgusting mess and not necessarily all that low in carbs.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "johnniemccoy@" > wrote in message
>> I'm thinking about trying a lasagna using lavash bread (kinda like a
>> square tortilla made with flax, oat bran and whole wheat flour). Figured
>> I'd cut a piece the width of the thing I cook it in, put a little stuff
>> in the bottom then fold the bread over... put some more stuff in and fold
>> over again and so on (if the folding doesn't look right I'll just cut it
>> to size).
>>
>> What I'm asking of some of you experienced cooks is, am I going to make a
>> disgusting mess or is it worth trying? (lol)

> I'm thinking huge disgusting mess and not necessarily all that low in
> carbs.

Well, maybe I'll try a little test dish then... like with one layer just for
the hell of it.

John

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"johnniemccoy@" > wrote in message
> I'm thinking about trying a lasagna using lavash bread (kinda like a
> square tortilla made with flax, oat bran and whole wheat flour). Figured
> I'd cut a piece the width of the thing I cook it in, put a little stuff in
> the bottom then fold the bread over... put some more stuff in and fold
> over again and so on (if the folding doesn't look right I'll just cut it
> to size).
>
> What I'm asking of some of you experienced cooks is, am I going to make a
> disgusting mess or is it worth trying? (lol)
>
> John

Seems like the lavash would just get soggy. BTW, I love that stuff and
bought some just the other day.

Have you tried making lasagna with slices of eggplant instead of noodles? I
did that once and it was good, although I really wasn't fooled into thinking
it was lasagna. Maybe if I had cut my eggplant slices thicker...

--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"johnniemccoy@" ...
> I'm thinking about trying a lasagna using lavash bread

Why not make real lasagna with Dreamfields low carb lasagna noodles? Use
lots of ricotta, mozzarella, meat and mushrooms. I use the sugar free Hunt's
spaghetti sauce too. Nobody in my family has noticed a difference but me, no
more pasta spikes

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 20 May 2007 17:28:14 -0400, "Scruples"
> wrote:

>"johnniemccoy@" ...
>> I'm thinking about trying a lasagna using lavash bread

>Why not make real lasagna with Dreamfields low carb lasagna noodles? Use
>lots of ricotta, mozzarella, meat and mushrooms. I use the sugar free Hunt's
>spaghetti sauce too. Nobody in my family has noticed a difference but me, no
>more pasta spikes

Or just make real lasagna and eat a half-serve:
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/2007/03/lasagne.html

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Slovenia
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Scruples" > wrote in message

> "johnniemccoy@" ...
>> I'm thinking about trying a lasagna using lavash bread

> Why not make real lasagna with Dreamfields low carb lasagna noodles? Use
> lots of ricotta, mozzarella, meat and mushrooms. I use the sugar free
> Hunt's spaghetti sauce too. Nobody in my family has noticed a difference
> but me, no more pasta spikes

I looked for a sugar free sauce at Wal-Mart... didn't see it. I'll look
again now that I know the brand. I haven't seen the Dreamfields low carb
stuff in any store yet.... just the regular.

Thanks
John
www.diabeticjunkfood.com

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Scruples" > wrote in message

> "johnniemccoy@" ...
>> I'm thinking about trying a lasagna using lavash bread

> Why not make real lasagna with Dreamfields low carb lasagna noodles? Use
> lots of ricotta, mozzarella, meat and mushrooms. I use the sugar free
> Hunt's spaghetti sauce too. Nobody in my family has noticed a difference
> but me, no more pasta spikes

In pursuit of a lower calorie lasagna I made it a few times with soft tofu
mashed well and seasoned, instead of ricotta. It worked out well and
nobody knew the difference!

--
Best Regards,

Evelyn

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"johnniemccoy@" wrote in message...

> I looked for a sugar free sauce at Wal-Mart... didn't see it. I'll look
> again now that I know the brand. I haven't seen the Dreamfields low carb
> stuff in any store yet.... just the regular.
>
> Thanks
> John
> www.diabeticjunkfood.com

Try Publix or Sweetbay for the Hunt's sugar free sauce. They hide it on the
bottom shelf at my Publix store but I always find it Publix also carries
the Dreamfields pasta but not the lasagna noodles, I order online at
netrition.com. They have a low shipping charge, also have the Heavenly
Desserts, DaVinci flavored syrups and Harvest crackers

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

johnniemccoy@ > wrote:

: "Scruples" > wrote in message
: ...
: >
: > "johnniemccoy@" ...
: >> I'm thinking about trying a lasagna using lavash bread
: >
: > Why not make real lasagna with Dreamfields low carb lasagna noodles? Use
: > lots of ricotta, mozzarella, meat and mushrooms. I use the sugar free
: > Hunt's spaghetti sauce too. Nobody in my family has noticed a difference
: > but me, no more pasta spikes
: >
: I looked for a sugar free sauce at Wal-Mart... didn't see it. I'll look
: again now that I know the brand. I haven't seen the Dreamfields low carb
: stuff in any store yet.... just the regular.

: Thanks
: John
: www.diabeticjunkfood.com

I sometimes make a pretty easy microwave tomato sauce. Take some onions
and garli and slice thin. cook them cobvered in a large measuring cup (I
have a 2 qt jobbie) or other microwave safe cntainer in some olive oil fo
for 5 mins on high. Add 1 28 oz can of tomatoes,borken up or crushed
canned tomatoes ahd microwve or 5 mins. Add fresh basil leaves and
microwave for about 1-2 mins more, add pepper and salt to taste and use.

It's not instant, like the jar, but you know what is in it and it doesn't
take ages to cook.

When buying jarred pasta sauce, don't worry abou tsugars, do worry about
the carbs in the sauce. They can vary quite a bit.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

> "Scruples" > wrote in message
>>
>> "johnniemccoy@" ...
>>> I'm thinking about trying a lasagna using lavash bread

>> Why not make real lasagna with Dreamfields low carb lasagna noodles? Use
>> lots of ricotta, mozzarella, meat and mushrooms. I use the sugar free
>> Hunt's spaghetti sauce too. Nobody in my family has noticed a difference
>> but me, no more pasta spikes
>>

> I looked for a sugar free sauce at Wal-Mart... didn't see it. I'll look
> again now that I know the brand. I haven't seen the Dreamfields low carb
> stuff in any store yet.... just the regular.
>
> Thanks
> John
> www.diabeticjunkfood.com?wp_ml=0

Is that your web site? It's pretty cool, and useful. Bookmarked!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> johnniemccoy@ > wrote:
>
> : "Scruples" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : >
> : > "johnniemccoy@" ...
> : >> I'm thinking about trying a lasagna using lavash bread
> : >
> : > Why not make real lasagna with Dreamfields low carb lasagna noodles?
> Use
> : > lots of ricotta, mozzarella, meat and mushrooms. I use the sugar free
> : > Hunt's spaghetti sauce too. Nobody in my family has noticed a
> difference
> : > but me, no more pasta spikes
> : >
> : I looked for a sugar free sauce at Wal-Mart... didn't see it. I'll look
> : again now that I know the brand. I haven't seen the Dreamfields low carb
> : stuff in any store yet.... just the regular.
>
> : Thanks
> : John
> : www.diabeticjunkfood.com

I found the sauce

John

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Scruples" > wrote in message

> "johnniemccoy@" wrote in message...
>>
>> I looked for a sugar free sauce at Wal-Mart... didn't see it. I'll look
>> again now that I know the brand. I haven't seen the Dreamfields low carb
>> stuff in any store yet.... just the regular.
>>
>> Thanks
>> John
>> www.diabeticjunkfood.com

> Try Publix or Sweetbay for the Hunt's sugar free sauce. They hide it on
> the bottom shelf at my Publix store but I always find it Publix also
> carries the Dreamfields pasta but not the lasagna noodles, I order online
> at netrition.com. They have a low shipping charge, also have the Heavenly
> Desserts, DaVinci flavored syrups and Harvest crackers

Yeah, just saw the sauce at Sweetbay. Thanks

John

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Frisbee®" > wrote in message
reenews.net...
> "johnniemccoy@" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Scruples" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "johnniemccoy@" ...
>>>
>>> Why not make real lasagna with Dreamfields low carb lasagna noodles? Use
>>> lots of ricotta, mozzarella, meat and mushrooms. I use the sugar free
>>> Hunt's spaghetti sauce too. Nobody in my family has noticed a difference
>>> but me, no more pasta spikes
>>>

>> I looked for a sugar free sauce at Wal-Mart... didn't see it. I'll look
>> again now that I know the brand. I haven't seen the Dreamfields low carb
>> stuff in any store yet.... just the regular.
>>
>> Thanks
>> John
>> www.diabeticjunkfood.com?wp_ml=0

> Is that your web site? It's pretty cool, and useful. Bookmarked!

Yeah, that's mine. Thanks.

John

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn Ruut" > wrote in message

> "Scruples" > wrote in message
>>
>> "johnniemccoy@" ...
>>> I'm thinking about trying a lasagna using lavash bread

>> Why not make real lasagna with Dreamfields low carb lasagna noodles? Use
>> lots of ricotta, mozzarella, meat and mushrooms. I use the sugar free
>> Hunt's spaghetti sauce too. Nobody in my family has noticed a difference
>> but me, no more pasta spikes

> In pursuit of a lower calorie lasagna I made it a few times with soft tofu
> mashed well and seasoned, instead of ricotta. It worked out well and
> nobody knew the difference!
>
> --
> Best Regards,
>
> Evelyn

I don't care for ricotta so I use cottage cheese.

John

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

> "Evelyn Ruut" > wrote in message
>>

>> "Scruples" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "johnniemccoy@" ...
>>>
>>> Why not make real lasagna with Dreamfields low carb lasagna noodles? Use
>>> lots of ricotta, mozzarella, meat and mushrooms. I use the sugar free
>>> Hunt's spaghetti sauce too. Nobody in my family has noticed a difference
>>> but me, no more pasta spikes

>> In pursuit of a lower calorie lasagna I made it a few times with soft
>> tofu mashed well and seasoned, instead of ricotta. It worked out well
>> and nobody knew the difference!
>>
>> --
>> Best Regards,
>>
>> Evelyn

> I don't care for ricotta so I use cottage cheese.
>
> John

Yes, I have heard of that substitution as well.

--
Best Regards,

Evelyn

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

johnniemccoy@ wrote:

> I looked for a sugar free sauce at Wal-Mart... didn't see it. I'll look
> again now that I know the brand. I haven't seen the Dreamfields low carb
> stuff in any store yet.... just the regular.

There is no "low carb" Dreamfields pasta. It's the regular stuff.
Dreamfields has a process that does something to the pasta so that only
5 mg of carbs are absorbed by the body. Their pasta tastes (and is)
regular pasta.

My DH does quite well with it but some DMs have been known to spike on
it as late as 5 hours post-prandial. He can't do Carb-Quick as his BGs
spiked when I made him some biscuits. Everyone is different.

We don't eat the full 2 oz serving of Dreamfields. Usually 3 ounces dry
between the 2 of us. I make my own sauce as follows.

Sautee a clove of minced garlic and a little chopped onion in a
tablespoon of oilve oil. Add a regular-sized can of tomato puree,
crushed or finely diced tomatoes. If you have any fresh parsley, chop
some and add it. If not, add about a tablespoon of dried parsley.
Season with dry basil, a little salt and a pinch of red pepper flakes if
you have them. Simmer for as long as it takes to boil the water and cook
the pasta. Add a pinch of oregano to the sauce, stir and taste for
seasonings. I like to grate in some imported Peccorino Romano and
Parmesagna Reggiano.

Making fresh tomato sauce is not such a big deal. It's cheaper than
buying a jar and not much of a bother.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation