Posted to alt.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic,misc.health.diabetes

Default Splenda safe????

My boss, chemist, looked it the splenda's chemical formula, which shows
chlorine atoms. He said don't look good.
I should avoid any thing that has chlorine in it, not safe.

Splenda

Description

Sucralose is the sugar sucrose with three of the hydroxyl groups
replaced by chlorine atoms. In the process, the stereochemistry of the
glucose half of the molecule is changed, making it more like galactose.
http://sci-toys.com/ingredients/sucralose.html
JS
Posted to alt.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic,misc.health.diabetes

"Protagonist" > wrote in message
. ..
> My boss, chemist, looked it the splenda's chemical formula, which shows
> chlorine atoms. He said don't look good.
> I should avoid any thing that has chlorine in it, not safe.

Especially swimming pools. The osmotic effect of chlorine on the skin would
be tantamount to ingesting about 3 billion Splenda tablets.

Posted to alt.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic,misc.health.diabetes

"Protagonist" > wrote in message
. ..
> My boss, chemist, looked it the splenda's chemical formula, which shows
> chlorine atoms. He said don't look good.
> I should avoid any thing that has chlorine in it, not safe.
>
> Splenda
>
> Description
>
> Sucralose is the sugar sucrose with three of the hydroxyl groups replaced
> by chlorine atoms. In the process, the stereochemistry of the glucose half
> of the molecule is changed, making it more like galactose.
> http://sci-toys.com/ingredients/sucralose.html
> JS

You also need to avoid all table salt since salt is Sodium Chloride which is
sodium and a 1/2 of a chlorine atom. There is also natural salts in foods
so I guess you can't eat. Drinking water is out unless it is distilled or
deionized.

Posted to alt.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic,misc.health.diabetes

Rick wrote:
> "Protagonist" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> My boss, chemist, looked it the splenda's chemical formula, which shows
>> chlorine atoms. He said don't look good.
>> I should avoid any thing that has chlorine in it, not safe.
>>
>> Splenda
>>
>> Description
>>
>> Sucralose is the sugar sucrose with three of the hydroxyl groups replaced
>> by chlorine atoms. In the process, the stereochemistry of the glucose half
>> of the molecule is changed, making it more like galactose.
>> http://sci-toys.com/ingredients/sucralose.html
>> JS

> You also need to avoid all table salt since salt is Sodium Chloride which is
> sodium and a 1/2 of a chlorine atom. There is also natural salts in foods
> so I guess you can't eat. Drinking water is out unless it is distilled or
> deionized.

Suggest, look up chlorine vs. chloride!
JS
Posted to alt.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic,misc.health.diabetes

spam spam spam spam

Splenda is perfectly safe to drink

oh, my brother is a Chemist, if you want to play
that game
and he drinks nothing BUT diet soft drinks

go figure

--
Join us in the Diabetic-Talk Chatroom on UnderNet
/server irc.undernet.org --- /join #Diabetic-Talk

"Protagonist" bullshit snipped

Posted to alt.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic,misc.health.diabetes

TigerLily wrote:
> spam spam spam spam
>
> Splenda is perfectly safe to drink
>
> oh, my brother is a Chemist, if you want to play
> that game
> and he drinks nothing BUT diet soft drinks
>
> go figure

Criticisms and controversy

Much of the concern over the safety of sucralose is not based on
experimental evidence showing harm, rather is based upon the absence of
long-term health studies in humans proving its safety. The basis for
demanding such strict burden of proof derives from the class of chemical
the sucralose molecule belongs to: the organochlorides (chlorocarbons).
Since some organochlorides are known to cause adverse health effects in
extremely small concentrations (as little as the parts-per-billion level
in drinking water), critics of sucralose feel the extra-high burden of
proof is warranted.

The U.S. sugar industry has claimed that the advertising of Splenda is
deceptive and has filed a formal complaint with the Federal Trade
Commission. Taking issue with Splenda's advertising slogan, “it tastes
like sugar because it's made from sugar,” the Sugar Association states
that "Splenda is not a natural product. It is not cultivated or grown
and it does not occur in nature." McNeil Nutritionals, the manufacturer
of Splenda, has responded that its "advertising represents the products
in an accurate and informative manner and complies with applicable
advertising rules in the countries where Splenda brand products are
marketed." The consumer advocacy group Citizens for Health has filed a
petition with the FDA. They have asked the FDA to withdraw its approval
of Splenda pending additional investigation of claimed side effects such
as stomach pain and other digestion problems.[13] The U.S. Sugar
Association has also started a web site where they put forward their
criticism of sucralose.[14] The Sugar Association’s allegations revolve
around three essential points:

1. Sucralose is a chlorocarbon
2. Up to 27% of sucralose that is ingested is absorbed into the body
by the digestive system
3. Long-term human studies with sucralose have not been performed.

The world's largest retailer of natural and organic foods (Whole Foods
Market), made an official policy of not carrying products containing
sucralose in any of its outlets. The retailer’s statement regarding this
decision made allegations revolving around five essential points:

1. Sucralose is an artificial substance, some of which is absorbed
by the body
2. Pre-approval tests indicated a potential for toxicity
3. Sucralose is a chlorinated compound (a chlorocarbon)
4. Independent, controlled human studies had not been performed
5. Long-term human studies with sucralose had not been performed.[15]

According to Food and Diet's website, numerous claims have been filed
about possible side effect complaints by users of sucralose-containing
products, including Diet Rite cola. Complaints and suspicions mused on
the site of possible side effects of prolonged use of sucralose have
included drug-like feelings of disorientation and confusion, headaches,
depression, anxiety, diarrhea, extreme fatigue, and more.[16]
Posted to alt.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic,misc.health.diabetes

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 03:24:45 -0700, Protagonist >
scribbled the following on a napkin:

>My boss, chemist, looked it the splenda's chemical formula, which shows
>chlorine atoms. He said don't look good.
>I should avoid any thing that has chlorine in it, not safe.
>
>JS

Might I suggest you start by slicing off parts of your body? You body
is full of salt and you need to ingest over a gram per day of
sodium-chloride to maintain health.
But... if your chemist boss wants you to die because you avoided the
chorine atom, fine by me.

Another person who probably thought the sciences were "boring" when in
school. The d*amn wold is filling with the ignorant and stupid.
Posted to alt.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic,misc.health.diabetes

Exhibitionist wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 03:24:45 -0700, Protagonist >
> scribbled the following on a napkin:
>
>> My boss, chemist, looked it the splenda's chemical formula, which shows
>> chlorine atoms. He said don't look good.
>> I should avoid any thing that has chlorine in it, not safe.
>>
>> JS

> Might I suggest you start by slicing off parts of your body? You body
> is full of salt and you need to ingest over a gram per day of
> sodium-chloride to maintain health.
> But... if your chemist boss wants you to die because you avoided the
> chorine atom, fine by me.
>
> Another person who probably thought the sciences were "boring" when in
> school. The d*amn wold is filling with the ignorant and stupid.

Salt is not chlorine, idiot, but chloride!
You don't want chlorine in your blood!

>>Chlorine refers to the known element symbolized by "Cl". Chlorine is

a greenish-yellow gas, with a sharp irritating odor. The molecule of
chlorine gas has two atoms and symbolized by "Cl". On the other hand,
chloride is the ionic form of this element and symbolized by "Cl-" (as
in sodium chloride "NaCl). <<

>>Sucralose is the sugar sucrose with three of the hydroxyl groups

replaced by chlorine atoms.<<
Posted to alt.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic,misc.health.diabetes

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 11:47:47 -0700, Protagonist >
scribbled the following on a napkin:

>Exhibitionist wrote:
>> On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 03:24:45 -0700, Protagonist >
>> scribbled the following on a napkin:
>>
>>> My boss, chemist, looked it the splenda's chemical formula, which shows
>>> chlorine atoms. He said don't look good.
>>> I should avoid any thing that has chlorine in it, not safe.
>>>
>>> JS

>> Might I suggest you start by slicing off parts of your body? You body
>> is full of salt and you need to ingest over a gram per day of
>> sodium-chloride to maintain health.
>> But... if your chemist boss wants you to die because you avoided the
>> chorine atom, fine by me.
>>
>> Another person who probably thought the sciences were "boring" when in
>> school. The d*amn wold is filling with the ignorant and stupid.

>Salt is not chlorine, idiot, but chloride!
>You don't want chlorine in your blood!

....and since the cholrine atom is not floating free, but is part of a
compound, you arent putting chlorine in your blood. Get a clue,
"idiot."
Posted to alt.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic,misc.health.diabetes

Exhibitionist wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 11:47:47 -0700, Protagonist >
> scribbled the following on a napkin:
>
>> Exhibitionist wrote:
>>> On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 03:24:45 -0700, Protagonist >
>>> scribbled the following on a napkin:

>>> Might I suggest you start by slicing off parts of your body? You body
>>> is full of salt and you need to ingest over a gram per day of
>>> sodium-chloride to maintain health.
>>> But... if your chemist boss wants you to die because you avoided the
>>> chorine atom, fine by me.
>>>
>>> Another person who probably thought the sciences were "boring" when in
>>> school. The d*amn wold is filling with the ignorant and stupid.

>> Salt is not chlorine, idiot, but chloride!
>> You don't want chlorine in your blood!
>>

> ...and since the cholrine atom is not floating free, but is part of a
> compound, you arent putting chlorine in your blood. Get a clue,
> "idiot."

Ja, OK!
Next time you put chlorine in your swimming pool, shoot some in your
vein too.
See how you like it!

At room temperature, chlorine is a yellow-green gas with a pungent
irritating odor. Under increased pressure or at temperatures below
-30ºF, it is a clear, amber-colored liquid. It is generally shipped in
steel cylinders as a compressed liquid. Chlorine is only slightly
soluble in water, but on contact with moisture it forms hypochlorous
acid (HClO) and hydrochloric acid (HCl); the unstable HClO readily
decomposes, forming oxygen free radicals. Because of these reactions,
water substantially enhances chlorine's oxidizing and corrosive effects.

Chlorine is produced commercially by electrolysis of sodium chloride
brine. It is among the ten highest volume chemicals manufactured in the
United States, with 1998 production in excess of 14 million tons.

Chlorine's most important use is as a bleach in the manufacture of paper
and cloth. Chlorine is also used widely as a chemical reagent in the
synthesis and manufacture of metallic chlorides, chlorinated solvents,
pesticides, polymers, synthetic rubbers, and refrigerants.

Posted to alt.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic,misc.health.diabetes

How come every single artificial sweetener ever produced has been hailed as
extremely dangerous (all different), even the ones that have been in
constant use for 40 years? Don't get sucked in so easily Julius.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I would imagine that it's because the sugar lobby is huge, sort of
like the ADA...:-)

Cheri

Ozgirl wrote in message >...
>How come every single artificial sweetener ever produced has been

hailed as
>extremely dangerous (all different), even the ones that have been in
>constant use for 40 years? Don't get sucked in so easily Julius.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote in message
. ..

> I would imagine that it's because the sugar lobby is huge, sort of
> like the ADA...:-)

He he

Posted to alt.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic,misc.health.diabetes

Protagonist wrote:
> My boss, chemist, looked it the splenda's chemical formula, which shows
> chlorine atoms. He said don't look good.
> I should avoid any thing that has chlorine in it, not safe.
>
> Splenda
>
> Description
>
> Sucralose is the sugar sucrose with three of the hydroxyl groups
> replaced by chlorine atoms. In the process, the stereochemistry of the
> glucose half of the molecule is changed, making it more like galactose.
> http://sci-toys.com/ingredients/sucralose.html
> JS

Avoid life, it can kill you.
Posted to alt.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic,misc.health.diabetes

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 20:28:12 +1000, "Ozgirl"
> wrote:

>"Protagonist" > wrote in message
>> My boss, chemist, looked it the splenda's chemical formula, which shows
>> chlorine atoms. He said don't look good.
>> I should avoid any thing that has chlorine in it, not safe.

>Especially swimming pools. The osmotic effect of chlorine on the skin would
>be tantamount to ingesting about 3 billion Splenda tablets.

It is hard to claim that splenda is absolutely 100% safe. However it
has been in wide use in some parts of the world for more than a
decade. That fact that significant numbers of people are not falling
over dead suggests that any risk associated with Splenda is within the
background noise. In other words using it has a risk no higher than
doing something to you usually do, walking down the street, flying on
a commercial airline, or driving an automobile.

Few people die from ingesting Sodium Chloride, Potassium Chloride, and
your stomach manufactures hydrochloric acid. the reality is chlorine
is the major cation in the body. Your body doesn't function without
chlorine.

Admittedly we don't have much experience with chlorinated
carbohydrates. we have lots of experience with chlorinated
hydrocarbons. They are very toxic to insects, not especially toxic to
humans.

Posted to alt.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic,misc.health.diabetes

Hey "Protagonist" when chlorine reacts to replace a hydroxyl group it
converts to a chloride. (the old reduction-oxidation reaction) When
chlorine reacts with sodium it forms sodium chloride.

Get an education and by the way figure out what school your boss came from
and don't go there.

Posted to alt.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic,misc.health.diabetes

Rick wrote:
> Hey "Protagonist" when chlorine reacts to replace a hydroxyl group it
> converts to a chloride. (the old reduction-oxidation reaction) When
> chlorine reacts with sodium it forms sodium chloride.
>
> Get an education and by the way figure out what school your boss came from
> and don't go there.

Correct! But you look it the Splenda chem formula, it shows chlorine and
not chloride, blind Rick!
JS

Posted to alt.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic,misc.health.diabetes

The comment was to avoid anything with chlorine. A chloride is still
chlorine just in a different electronic state.

Ron

Protagonist wrote:

> Suggest, look up chlorine vs. chloride!
> JS

Posted to alt.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic,misc.health.diabetes

In misc.health.diabetes Protagonist > wrote:
> Rick wrote:
>> Hey "Protagonist" when chlorine reacts to replace a hydroxyl group it
>> converts to a chloride. (the old reduction-oxidation reaction) When
>> chlorine reacts with sodium it forms sodium chloride.
>>
>> Get an education and by the way figure out what school your boss came from
>> and don't go there.

> Correct! But you look it the Splenda chem formula, it shows chlorine and
> not chloride, blind Rick!

A very clear demonstration of the folly of reading technical details
without an education :-)

--
Chris Malcolm DoD #205
[

Posted to alt.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic,misc.health.diabetes

"Chris Malcolm" > wrote in message
> In misc.health.diabetes Protagonist > wrote:
>> Rick wrote:
>>> Hey "Protagonist" when chlorine reacts to replace a hydroxyl group it
>>> converts to a chloride. (the old reduction-oxidation reaction) When
>>> chlorine reacts with sodium it forms sodium chloride.
>>>
>>> Get an education and by the way figure out what school your boss came
>>> from
>>> and don't go there.

>> Correct! But you look it the Splenda chem formula, it shows chlorine and
>> not chloride, blind Rick!

> A very clear demonstration of the folly of reading technical details
> without an education :-)
>
> --
> Chris Malcolm DoD #205
> IPAB, Informatics, JCMB, King's Buildings, Edinburgh, EH9 3JZ, UK
> [
http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

I shouldn't smart off. So I apologize for that crack about education. And
you are correct I am blind or at least vision impaired. "Text to Voice"
helps out quite a bit and also the ability to display things very large.

I did go back and check the documentation and the chemical formula. The
Splenda folks do state that they react chlorine with sugar but when the
chlorine reacts it displaces hydroxyl groups by undergoing a "redox"
reaction and forming chlorides. If there was excess chlorine present this
would make the Splenda toxic and unfit for consumption. Low concentrations
of chlorine externally when it see moisture on your skin can form
hypochlorous acid which can be considered an irritant. Chlorine in swimming
pools forms hypochlorous acid which is the sanitizer. Swimming pool water
making your eyes red would be an example of an irritant. Higher
concentrations or longer exposure may also irritate the skin. Chlorine
taken internally would be toxic.

The whole debate on whether Splenda is safe is an argument that has been
done on this News Group before. So lets not start it again. I believe that
Splenda is safe for the majority of users. But I have heard that there are
some users (I have never met any of them) that react poorly to Splenda (or
blame Splenda). Headaches etc. They should not use it. Perhaps water -
the ultimate low calorie, no fat soft drink should be used. It is also
pretty cheap.

Posted to alt.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic,misc.health.diabetes
ray ray is offline

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 03:24:45 -0700, Protagonist wrote:

> My boss, chemist, looked it the splenda's chemical formula, which shows
> chlorine atoms. He said don't look good.
> I should avoid any thing that has chlorine in it, not safe.
>
> Splenda
>
> Description
>
> Sucralose is the sugar sucrose with three of the hydroxyl groups
> replaced by chlorine atoms. In the process, the stereochemistry of the
> glucose half of the molecule is changed, making it more like galactose.
> http://sci-toys.com/ingredients/sucralose.html
> JS

Oh! My! God!

Do you avoid table salt - NaCl?

Posted to alt.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic,misc.health.diabetes

ray wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 03:24:45 -0700, Protagonist wrote:
>
>> My boss, chemist, looked it the splenda's chemical formula, which shows
>> chlorine atoms. He said don't look good.
>> I should avoid any thing that has chlorine in it, not safe.
>>
>> Splenda
>>
>> Description
>>
>> Sucralose is the sugar sucrose with three of the hydroxyl groups
>> replaced by chlorine atoms. In the process, the stereochemistry of the
>> glucose half of the molecule is changed, making it more like galactose.
>> http://sci-toys.com/ingredients/sucralose.html
>> JS

> Oh! My! God!
>
> Do you avoid table salt - NaCl?

Yes, much as possible!
Cause high blood pressure!

JS
Posted to alt.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic,misc.health.diabetes
ray ray is offline

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 16:32:46 -0700, Protagonist wrote:

> ray wrote:
>> On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 03:24:45 -0700, Protagonist wrote:
>>
>>> My boss, chemist, looked it the splenda's chemical formula, which shows
>>> chlorine atoms. He said don't look good.
>>> I should avoid any thing that has chlorine in it, not safe.
>>>
>>> Splenda
>>>
>>> Description
>>>
>>> Sucralose is the sugar sucrose with three of the hydroxyl groups
>>> replaced by chlorine atoms. In the process, the stereochemistry of the
>>> glucose half of the molecule is changed, making it more like galactose.
>>> http://sci-toys.com/ingredients/sucralose.html
>>> JS

>> Oh! My! God!
>>
>> Do you avoid table salt - NaCl?
>>

> Yes, much as possible!
> Cause high blood pressure!
>
> JS

It's also pretty damned hard to live without.

Posted to alt.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic,misc.health.diabetes
ray ray is offline

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 04:27:12 -0700, Protagonist wrote:

> Rick wrote:
>> Hey "Protagonist" when chlorine reacts to replace a hydroxyl group it
>> converts to a chloride. (the old reduction-oxidation reaction) When
>> chlorine reacts with sodium it forms sodium chloride.
>>
>> Get an education and by the way figure out what school your boss came from
>> and don't go there.
>>

> Correct! But you look it the Splenda chem formula, it shows chlorine and
> not chloride, blind Rick!
> JS

So assume I'm a complete idiot. Please explain the difference.

Posted to alt.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic,misc.health.diabetes

ray wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 04:27:12 -0700, Protagonist wrote:
>
>> Rick wrote:
>>> Hey "Protagonist" when chlorine reacts to replace a hydroxyl group it
>>> converts to a chloride. (the old reduction-oxidation reaction) When
>>> chlorine reacts with sodium it forms sodium chloride.
>>>
>>> Get an education and by the way figure out what school your boss came from
>>> and don't go there.
>>>

>> Correct! But you look it the Splenda chem formula, it shows chlorine and
>> not chloride, blind Rick!
>> JS

> So assume I'm a complete idiot. Please explain the difference.

Here ja go!

>>Chlorine refers to the known element symbolized by "Cl". Chlorine is

a greenish-yellow gas, with a sharp irritating odor. The molecule of
chlorine gas has two atoms and symbolized by "Cl". On the other hand,
chloride is the ionic form of this element and symbolized by "Cl-" (as
in sodium chloride "NaCl). <<

Posted to alt.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic,misc.health.diabetes

ray wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 16:32:46 -0700, Protagonist wrote:
>
>> ray wrote:

>>> Oh! My! God!
>>>
>>> Do you avoid table salt - NaCl?
>>>

>> Yes, much as possible!
>> Cause high blood pressure!
>>
>> JS

> It's also pretty damned hard to live without.

That's right! But only needs a small amount.
So put your saltshaker away!
JS
Posted to alt.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic,misc.health.diabetes
ray ray is offline

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 18:55:09 -0700, Protagonist wrote:

> ray wrote:

>>> Correct! But you look it the Splenda chem formula, it shows chlorine and
>>> not chloride, blind Rick!
>>> JS

>> So assume I'm a complete idiot. Please explain the difference.
>>

> Here ja go!
>
> >>Chlorine refers to the known element symbolized by "Cl". Chlorine is

> a greenish-yellow gas, with a sharp irritating odor. The molecule of
> chlorine gas has two atoms and symbolized by "Cl". On the other hand,
> chloride is the ionic form of this element and symbolized by "Cl-" (as
> in sodium chloride "NaCl). <<

I see. So when chlorine becomes chemically bonded into a compound it is no
longer chlorine, it is chloride - as in salt or splenda. Or are you
telling me that there is free unbound elemental chlorine floating around
in the splenda?

Posted to alt.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic,misc.health.diabetes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splenda

Criticisms and controversy

Much of the concern over the safety of sucralose is not based on
experimental evidence showing harm, rather is based upon the absence of
long-term health studies in humans proving its safety. The basis for
demanding such strict burden of proof derives from the class of chemical
the sucralose molecule belongs to: the organochlorides (chlorocarbons).
Since some organochlorides are known to cause adverse health effects in
extremely small concentrations (as little as the parts-per-billion level
in drinking water), critics of sucralose feel the extra-high burden of
proof is warranted.
Posted to alt.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic,misc.health.diabetes

On Apr 28, 9:24 pm, Protagonist > wrote:
> At room temperature, chlorine is a yellow-green gas with a pungent
> irritating odor.

At any temperature, Protagonist is a humaniform troll (colour unknown)
and, if typical of trolls, probably gives off a pungent irritating
odour. :-) The latter, at least partly, comes from the constant
stream of ignorant, alarmist bullshit that he (like all trolls who
spout off about sweeteners) emits...

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

So you can't eat salt... Sodium Cloride...

wrote:

>My boss, chemist, looked it the splenda's chemical formula, which shows
>chlorine atoms. He said don't look good.
>I should avoid any thing that has chlorine in it, not safe.
>
> Splenda
>
>Description
>
>Sucralose is the sugar sucrose with three of the hydroxyl groups
>replaced by chlorine atoms. In the process, the stereochemistry of the
>glucose half of the molecule is changed, making it more like galactose.
>http://sci-toys.com/ingredients/sucralose.html
>JS

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

George Elting wrote:
> So you can't eat salt... Sodium Cloride...
>
> On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 03:24:45 -0700, Protagonist >
> wrote:
>
>> My boss, chemist, looked it the splenda's chemical formula, which shows
>> chlorine atoms. He said don't look good.
>> I should avoid any thing that has chlorine in it, not safe.
>>
>> Splenda
>>
>> Description
>>
>> Sucralose is the sugar sucrose with three of the hydroxyl groups
>> replaced by chlorine atoms. In the process, the stereochemistry of the
>> glucose half of the molecule is changed, making it more like galactose.
>> http://sci-toys.com/ingredients/sucralose.html
>> JS

Uh! You're a late comer!!
Read earlier posts about clorine vs. cloride!
JS
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Protagonist > wrote:
|| George Elting wrote:
||| So you can't eat salt... Sodium Cloride...

Doc said I should watch it because of my blood pressure
problems... )

||| On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 03:24:45 -0700, Protagonist

Your boss is an idiot or thinks you are and is pulling your
leg.
It is not up to me to say which.

|| Uh! You're a late comer!!
|| Read earlier posts about clorine vs. cloride!
|| JS

What are clorine and cloride -- I assume you mean chlorine
and Chloride.

Chlorine is an element, chloride is a chemical compound in
which at
least one chlorine atom that is covalently bonded in the
molecule.

Sodium Chloride (NaCl) - one sodium ion is bonded with one
chlorine ion.
Hydrogen Chloride (HCl) - one hydrogen ion is bonded with
one Chlorine ion.
Splenda happens to have Chlorine ions bonded to the molecules
in place of hydroxyl groups, it is hardly unique in this
regard..

BJ
"There is no cure for birth and death save to enjoy the
interval." -- George Santayana

"Since early 2005, more than 150 million personal records have
been exposed in dozens of incidents, according to information
compiled by the Privacy Rights Clearinghouse. " - Companies that
collect this data must be held accountable for its security.

Posted to alt.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic,misc.health.diabetes

ray wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 04:27:12 -0700, Protagonist wrote:
>
>> Rick wrote:
>>> Hey "Protagonist" when chlorine reacts to replace a hydroxyl group it
>>> converts to a chloride. (the old reduction-oxidation reaction) When
>>> chlorine reacts with sodium it forms sodium chloride.
>>>
>>> Get an education and by the way figure out what school your boss came from
>>> and don't go there.
>>>

>> Correct! But you look it the Splenda chem formula, it shows chlorine and
>> not chloride, blind Rick!
>> JS

> So assume I'm a complete idiot. Please explain the difference.

The difference is in the accepted terminology of chemistry.

Chlorine, an element, symbol Cl. In the pure form usually exists as a
gas (at standard temperature and pressure) as a compound Cl2 (two
chlorine atoms attached to each other). Very nasty and toxic, used as a
weapon in World War One; and still used as a bleach and disinfectant.

When chlorine bonds with another element, or elements, it forms a
chloride. Chloride is the standard term form chlorine in compound with
another element.

Also, fluorine forms fluorides, oxygen forms oxides, bromine forms
bromides, etc. Whichever element plays the part of the more negative
element acquires the -ide suffix.

Just because it has reacted to form a new compound says nothing about
its new properties, it may become nontoxic, it may not.

BTW, I use sucralose as well as aspartame and acesulfame to sweeten my
foods and beverages (I do not like saccharin).

From:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chloride

The chloride ion is formed when the element chlorine picks up one
electron to form an anion (negatively-charged ion) Clˆ’. The salts of
hydrochloric acid HCl contain chloride ions and can also be called
chlorides. An example is table salt, which is sodium chloride with the
chemical formula NaCl. In water, it dissolves into Na+ and Clˆ’ ions.

The word chloride can also refer to a chemical compound in which one or
more chlorine atoms are covalently bonded in the molecule. This means
that chlorides can be either inorganic or organic compounds. The
simplest example of an inorganic covalently-bonded chloride is hydrogen
chloride, HCl. A simple example of an organic covalently-bonded (an
organochloride) chloride is chloromethane (CH3Cl), often called methyl
chloride.

From:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splenda

(*'s added by me to highlight the *chloro* portion of sucralose's full
chemical name)

Sucralose is an artificial sweetener known by the trade name Splenda and
the generic Altern. In the European Union, it is also known under the E
number (additive code) E955. It is 320€“1,000 times as sweet as sucrose,
making it roughly twice as sweet as saccharin and four times as sweet as
aspartame. It is manufactured by the selective chlorination of sucrose,
by which three of sucrose's hydroxyl groups are substituted with
chlorine atoms to produce
1,6-*dichloro*-1,6-dideoxy-β-D-fructo-furanosyl
4-*chloro*-4-deoxy-α-D-galactopyranoside or C12H19Cl3O8.

--
I'm glad my Mom named me Aaron,
That's what everybody calls me.
Posted to alt.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic,misc.health.diabetes
ray ray is offline

On Wed, 02 May 2007 20:29:29 +0000, Aaron wrote:

> ray wrote:

>>> Correct! But you look it the Splenda chem formula, it shows chlorine and
>>> not chloride, blind Rick!
>>> JS

>> So assume I'm a complete idiot. Please explain the difference.

> The difference is in the accepted terminology of chemistry.
>
> Chlorine, an element, symbol Cl. In the pure form usually exists as a
> gas (at standard temperature and pressure) as a compound Cl2 (two
> chlorine atoms attached to each other). Very nasty and toxic, used as a
> weapon in World War One; and still used as a bleach and disinfectant.
>
> When chlorine bonds with another element, or elements, it forms a
> chloride. Chloride is the standard term form chlorine in compound with
> another element.
>
> Also, fluorine forms fluorides, oxygen forms oxides, bromine forms
> bromides, etc. Whichever element plays the part of the more negative
> element acquires the -ide suffix.
>
> Just because it has reacted to form a new compound says nothing about
> its new properties, it may become nontoxic, it may not.

I know that, I was simply trying to get dufus there to admit he didn't
know what he was talking about - which he did by contradicting an earlier
assertion when he answered.

> BTW, I use sucralose as well as aspartame and acesulfame to sweeten my
> foods and beverages (I do not like saccharin).
>
> From:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chloride
>
> The chloride ion is formed when the element chlorine picks up one
> electron to form an anion (negatively-charged ion) Clˆ’. The salts of
> hydrochloric acid HCl contain chloride ions and can also be called
> chlorides. An example is table salt, which is sodium chloride with the
> chemical formula NaCl. In water, it dissolves into Na+ and Clˆ’ ions.
>
> The word chloride can also refer to a chemical compound in which one or
> more chlorine atoms are covalently bonded in the molecule. This means
> that chlorides can be either inorganic or organic compounds. The
> simplest example of an inorganic covalently-bonded chloride is hydrogen
> chloride, HCl. A simple example of an organic covalently-bonded (an
> organochloride) chloride is chloromethane (CH3Cl), often called methyl
> chloride.
>
> From:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splenda
>
> (*'s added by me to highlight the *chloro* portion of sucralose's full
> chemical name)
>
> Sucralose is an artificial sweetener known by the trade name Splenda and
> the generic Altern. In the European Union, it is also known under the E
> number (additive code) E955. It is 320€“1,000 times as sweet as sucrose,
> making it roughly twice as sweet as saccharin and four times as sweet as
> aspartame. It is manufactured by the selective chlorination of sucrose,
> by which three of sucrose's hydroxyl groups are substituted with
> chlorine atoms to produce
> 1,6-*dichloro*-1,6-dideoxy-β-D-fructo-furanosyl
> 4-*chloro*-4-deoxy-α-D-galactopyranoside or C12H19Cl3O8.

Posted to alt.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic,misc.health.diabetes

>>> So assume I'm a complete idiot. Please explain the difference.

>> The difference is in the accepted terminology of chemistry.
>>
>> Chlorine, an element, symbol Cl. In the pure form usually exists as a
>> gas (at standard temperature and pressure) as a compound Cl2 (two
>> chlorine atoms attached to each other). Very nasty and toxic, used as a
>> weapon in World War One; and still used as a bleach and disinfectant.
>>
>> When chlorine bonds with another element, or elements, it forms a
>> chloride. Chloride is the standard term form chlorine in compound with
>> another element.
>>
>> Also, fluorine forms fluorides, oxygen forms oxides, bromine forms
>> bromides, etc. Whichever element plays the part of the more negative
>> element acquires the -ide suffix.
>>
>> Just because it has reacted to form a new compound says nothing about
>> its new properties, it may become nontoxic, it may not.

> I know that, I was simply trying to get dufus there to admit he didn't
> know what he was talking about - which he did by contradicting an earlier
> assertion when he answered.

Sorry to imply *your* lack, not my intention.

I work in a chemistry lab, and have taught new employees chemistry (they
know chemistry, but not "our" chemistry) and have met college chemistry
graduates who 'forgot' the basics. The entrance exam for the job is a
high school level assessment that I have seen said college grads sweat
when they took it - they have not had to use the absolute basics in so
long it was a worry for them.

<snip>

--
I'm glad my Mom named me Aaron,
That's what everybody calls me.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

BJ in Texas wrote:
> Protagonist > wrote:
>
> Doc said I should watch it because of my blood pressure
> problems... )

> Your boss is an idiot or thinks you are and is pulling your
> leg.
> It is not up to me to say which.

> || Uh! You're a late comer!!
> || Read earlier posts about clorine vs. cloride!
> || JS
>
> What are clorine and cloride -- I assume you mean chlorine
> and Chloride.
>
> Chlorine is an element, chloride is a chemical compound in
> which at
> least one chlorine atom that is covalently bonded in the
> molecule.
>
> Sodium Chloride (NaCl) - one sodium ion is bonded with one
> chlorine ion.
> Hydrogen Chloride (HCl) - one hydrogen ion is bonded with
> one Chlorine ion.
> Splenda happens to have Chlorine ions bonded to the molecules
> in place of hydroxyl groups, it is hardly unique in this
> regard..
>
> BJ

More info he
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splenda

Criticisms and controversy

Much of the concern over the safety of sucralose is not based on
experimental evidence showing harm, rather is based upon the absence of
long-term health studies in humans proving its safety. The basis for
demanding such strict burden of proof derives from the class of chemical
the sucralose molecule belongs to: the organochlorides (chlorocarbons).
Since some organochlorides are known to cause adverse health effects in
extremely small concentrations (as little as the parts-per-billion level
in drinking water), critics of sucralose feel the extra-high burden of
proof is warranted.
Posted to alt.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic,misc.health.diabetes

Protagonist wrote:
> My boss, chemist, looked it the splenda's chemical formula, which shows
> chlorine atoms. He said don't look good.
> I should avoid any thing that has chlorine in it, not safe.
>
> Splenda
>
> Description
>
> Sucralose is the sugar sucrose with three of the hydroxyl groups
> replaced by chlorine atoms. In the process, the stereochemistry of the
> glucose half of the molecule is changed, making it more like galactose.
> http://sci-toys.com/ingredients/sucralose.html
> JS

Arsenic is safe in small quantities.

Splenda Goomba38 General Cooking 48 29-03-2008 09:29 PM
Splenda bfairey General Cooking 7 11-05-2007 05:25 AM
Splenda B&B? Brian Mailman Preserving 2 01-09-2006 09:16 PM
Splenda Bill Dunn General Cooking 5 19-06-2004 10:50 PM
Splenda CapStick Diabetic 4 28-10-2003 02:35 PM