Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default REC: Cajun Dirty Rice

Here's something I cooked up to feed my need for Cajun Spiced foods.

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Dirty Rice - Lightened

This version is Diabetic friendly but still has a nice Cajun kick.

Recipe By: Pete & Peggy Romfh
Serving Size: 8
Cuisine: Cajun
Main Ingredient: Cauliflower
Categories: Low Sugar, Diabetic, Low Carb, Simple - Easy, Snacks, Side Dish

-= Ingredients =-
1 head Cauliflower ; - 4-5 cups
1 cup White rice ; - cooked
8 ounces Chicken livers ; - about 6 livers
2 tablespoon Olive oil
2 tablespoons Cajun Spice mix ; - to taste
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce ; - to taste
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

-= Instructions =-
Break up the cauliflower into flowerets. Peel and dice the center portion of
the stem if you wish. Steam the cauliflower until just tender (not mushy),
about 15 minutes.

Fry the chicken livers in 1 tbs. of the olive oil until done. Drain, cool
slightly, and dice/crumble the liver. Save the pan juices and fond (brown
stuff) in the pan.

Run the steamed cauliflower through the coarse shredder blade of a food
processor (or grate by hand). You want it to be about the size of cooked
rice grains. Allow it to drain and dry slightly in a colander or on paper
towels. Mix it lightly with the remaining 1 tbs. of olive oil to coat the
"grains".

In the pan from the livers lightly fry the rice to brown it. Add the Cajun
spice then the shredded cauliflower. Mix in the crumbled liver and
Worcestershire sauce. Season with salt and adjust spices to taste.

Serve in scoops as you would traditional dirty rice. Don't admit what it is
unless asked. About 1/2 the time folks don't even realized you saved them a
big bunch of carbs and fat.

Each (app 1/2 cup) serving contains an estimated:
Cals: 105, FatCals: 41, TotFat: 5g
SatFat: 1g, PolyFat: 1g, MonoFat: 3g
Chol: 124mg, Na: 288mg, K: 267mg
TotCarbs: 9g, Fiber: 2g, Sugars: 1g
NetCarbs: 7g, Protein: 7g

** Recipe, with photo, at: www.bigoven.com/recipe162983 **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

It's not totally carb free. It's a balance between lowering carbs and having
something that tastes good.
I served it with slices of turduckhen although I've also had it with Cajun
broiled fish.

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Pete Romfh" > wrote:

> Break up the cauliflower into flowerets. Peel and dice the center portion of
> the stem if you wish. Steam the cauliflower until just tender (not mushy),
> about 15 minutes.

Yikes! I'd never cook cauliflower that long. How about doing a quick
blanch instead?

Priscilla
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Apr 16, 12:00 pm, Priscilla Ballou > wrote:
> In article >,
> "Pete Romfh" > wrote:
>
> > Break up the cauliflower into flowerets. Peel and dice the center portion of
> > the stem if you wish. Steam the cauliflower until just tender (not mushy),
> > about 15 minutes.

> Yikes! I'd never cook cauliflower that long. How about doing a quick
> blanch instead?
>
> Priscilla

That could work. You still want a bit of "tooth" to it but not really
crunchy. I've found between 10 and 15 mins over simmering water works
for me.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Cajun Dirty Rice

Sounds great Pete. I want to try this. Any thoughts on adding finely
chopped roasted peanuts at the end to add a bit of crunch?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Uncle Enrico" > wrote in message
et...
> Sounds great Pete. I want to try this. Any thoughts on adding finely
> chopped roasted peanuts at the end to add a bit of crunch?

How about slivered almonds?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Uncle Enrico wrote:
> Sounds great Pete. I want to try this. Any thoughts on
> adding finely
> chopped roasted peanuts at the end to add a bit of crunch?

That would be an excellent touch.