Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default glycemic index of syrups?

Does anyone know the glycemic index of syrups, particularly maple
syrup?
I was looking at Mendosa's spreadsheet this morning and found nothing.
http://www.mendosa.com/common_foods.htm, then open GI spreadsheet for
a list of 1700 foods listing glycemic index and glycemic load.
Thanks

Kent

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

syrup is made with sugar or corn fructose (oh,
what is the name of it)

so i would imagine it's close to 100

kate
--
Join us in the Diabetic-Talk Chatroom on UnderNet
/server irc.undernet.org --- /join #Diabetic-Talk

"Kent" > wrote in message
> Does anyone know the glycemic index of syrups,

particularly maple
> syrup?
> I was looking at Mendosa's spreadsheet this

morning and found nothing.
> http://www.mendosa.com/common_foods.htm, then

open GI spreadsheet for
> a list of 1700 foods listing glycemic index and

glycemic load.
> Thanks
>
> Kent

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 12:59:07 -0600, "TigerLily" >
wrote:

>syrup is made with sugar or corn fructose (oh,
>what is the name of it)
>
>so i would imagine it's close to 100
>
>kate

Maple syrup is made by boiling the sap of the sugar maple until it is
67% solids. (It takes about 40 gallons of sap to make one gallon of
syrup.) There is no corn or beet sugar in it at all. The garbage you
can buy in most grocery stores is corn syrup with caramel flavors.

There should be a major difference.

Bob McConnell
N2SPP

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Bob McConnell > wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 12:59:07 -0600, "TigerLily" >
> wrote:
>
> >syrup is made with sugar or corn fructose (oh,
> >what is the name of it)
> >
> >so i would imagine it's close to 100
> >
> >kate

> Maple syrup is made by boiling the sap of the sugar maple until it is
> 67% solids. (It takes about 40 gallons of sap to make one gallon of
> syrup.) There is no corn or beet sugar in it at all. The garbage you
> can buy in most grocery stores is corn syrup with caramel flavors.
>
> There should be a major difference.

It's still loaded with sugar. I'd imagine it's over 100.

Priscilla
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 10:24:58 -0700, "Kent"
> wrote:

>Does anyone know the glycemic index of syrups, particularly maple
>syrup?
>I was looking at Mendosa's spreadsheet this morning and found nothing.
>http://www.mendosa.com/common_foods.htm, then open GI spreadsheet for
>a list of 1700 foods listing glycemic index and glycemic load.
>Thanks
>
>Kent

Try www.glycemicindex.com

modified slightly to fit he

Food GI serve(g) carb/serve (g) GL
Maple syrup, pure Canadian, 54 25 16.8 9.1
Maple flavoured syrup 68 25 22.4 15.2

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Athens and The Adriatic

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

what search criteria did you use

i tried maple syrup and maple and got no matches
:-)

kate
--
Join us in the Diabetic-Talk Chatroom on UnderNet
/server irc.undernet.org --- /join #Diabetic-Talk
More info: http://www.diabetic-talk.org/
http://www.diabetic-talk.org/freeveggies.htm
I have no medical qualifications beyond my own
experience.
Choose your advisers carefully, because experience
can be
an expensive teacher.

"Alan S" > wrote
in message
> On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 10:24:58 -0700, "Kent"
> > wrote:
>
> >Does anyone know the glycemic index of syrups,

particularly maple
> >syrup?
> >I was looking at Mendosa's spreadsheet this

morning and found nothing.
> >http://www.mendosa.com/common_foods.htm, then

open GI spreadsheet for
> >a list of 1700 foods listing glycemic index and

glycemic load.
> >Thanks
> >
> >Kent
> >

> Try www.glycemicindex.com
>
> modified slightly to fit he
>
> Food GI serve(g)

carb/serve (g) GL
> Maple syrup, pure Canadian, 54 25

16.8 9.1
> Maple flavoured syrup 68 25

22.4 15.2

> Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
> d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
> Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
> --
> http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/
> http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
> latest: Athens and The Adriatic

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 09:12:08 -0600, "TigerLily"
> wrote:

>what search criteria did you use
>
>i tried maple syrup and maple and got no matches
>:-)
>
>kate

go to http://www.glycemicindex.com/
Click on "GI Database"
enter "maple" in the name field
select sort by GI
Click on "search"

and you'll see numbers for:

Maple flavoured syrup: Cottee's Foods, Liverpool,
NSW,Australia

Maple syrup, pure Canadian, Queen brand

Pure canadian maple syrup (Queen brand, Australia)

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Athens and The Adriatic
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

thanks........ i had put too much information into
the search

kate