Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default non-protein meal

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had a good recipe for a dish that does not
have meat ( protein ) in it. like salads etc
Thanks,
Ermma

MAY THIS DAY BRING MANY BLESSINGS TO YOU

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Well the doctor said I had a protient spill in my urine. So for right
now she wants me to try , just for now once a week to not eat any food
with protient in it then once I get use to the once a week , I will try
twice a week and drink more water also.

Ermma

MAY THIS DAY BRING MANY BLESSINGS TO YOU

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Porter" > wrote in message
> Well the doctor said I had a protient spill in my urine. So for right
> now she wants me to try , just for now once a week to not eat any food
> with protient in it then once I get use to the once a week , I will try
> twice a week and drink more water also.
>
> Ermma
>
> MAY THIS DAY BRING MANY BLESSINGS TO YOU

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Porter" > wrote in message
> Well the doctor said I had a protient spill in my urine. So for right
> now she wants me to try , just for now once a week to not eat any food
> with protient in it then once I get use to the once a week , I will try
> twice a week and drink more water also.
>
> Ermma
>
> MAY THIS DAY BRING MANY BLESSINGS TO YOU

Oops! Didn't mean to post an empty message prior. I would suggest to you
that you call the Dr. and ask for a referral to a dietician to help devise a
diet for you that would work. It is next to impossible to come up with a
diet that contains no protein at all. Most fruit and vegetables contain
small amounts of protein.

My friend had kidney failure as well as some other medical problems. Even
she was allowed *some* protein, although granted not a lot. She told me
that on a good day she would have a small roast beef sandwich from Arby's
and little else for the day. She had to restrict other foods due to other
medical problems so there wasn't a lot she could eat.

Perhaps your Dr. meant for you to restrict those foods we consider as
protein sources? Such as meat, cheese, dried beans and nuts?

I had protein in my urine. The Dr. didn't suggest modifying my diet at all
but instead upped my Lisinopril. I cut back on the protein myself, thinking
it would help. It did. My labs are in range now. Alas, I too have other
medical problems as well as food allergies and also possible gastroparesis
so my diet is already pretty limited. What I did was to eat a very small
breakfast. Some days I'd have a handful of pumpkin seeds. Yes, there is
protein but also some carbs. More recently my numbers have gotten to where
they are almost always in normal range no matter what. So I am able to eat
a small amount of grits, oatmeal, pretzels, crackers and other carby things
I used to not eat. I not not eat the regular pretzels but Newman's own made
with pea protein. Again there is some protein but seemingly not too much.

Lunch is usually not eaten. I seem to not need it most days. If I do have
something it will be vegetable soup, a couple of crackers with hummus, a
pumpkin seed bar, a bit of dried strawberries or something else small. Not
usually what most people would consider a meal. This works for me, but
again, I am not your typical diabetic.

Dinner might be whatever the rest of the family is eating. But if they are
having a big piece of meat, I do not. I will occasionally have a hamburger
patty in a restaurant but at home I don't eat much meat. Tonight we are
having rice pasta (due to allergies) made with tomato sauce and some ground
beef. I am having a small amount and nothing more. I used to eat a lot of
salads and vegetables but find I can't do that now with the gastroparesis.
I sometimes make stuffed potatoes for the family using a special recipe
modified for our food allergies. I mash some nutritional yeast in there and
that provides a small amount of protein. The other day I had two small
potatoes for dinner and nothing else.

My bed time snack is often popcorn popped in coconut oil. If my stomach is
bothering me I might have some pretzels or crackers. I used to have a
serving of protein at bed time but now I rarely do. On occasion I will have
a hypo before bed and then I might have some nuts or peanut butter along
with my carbs.

So you see the only meal I am really eating much protein at is dinner. I
simply looked at what I was already eating and tried to find a way to modify
it further given all my other restrictions.

If you are currently eating a fairly normal diet with meat and vegetables,
then just try eliminating the meat or eggs or cheese or whatever the source
of protein is. It certainly won't be a balanced diet and it might leave you
feeling hungry. But it might be doable for a week.