Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Bobotie

Tonight for supper I made a dish I grew up with, in Africa; it's an
ideal introduction to mildly curried dishes, and a wonderful
opportunity to get lots and lots of polyphenols into a meal.

For 4 people, served with a green salad, the ingredients a

600g steak mince (aka ground beef)
lge yellow onion
2 cloves garlic
2T dried unsweetened cranberries
2T sultanas
1 green apple, chopped
2t curry powder
1t cinnamon
1t turmeric
oil for frying
2 eggs
splash milk - maybe 25 ml

Gently fry onion until slightly coloured. Add garlic and fry for a
minute, until the aroma is released. Add meat and spices, brown. Add
fruit. Check seasoning. Let mixture cool a little.

Heat the oven to 160deg C.
Beat eggs and milk together.
Pour meat mixture into a casserole dish, and press down flat. Pour
over egg mixture, and bake for 30 mins.

I ate a good portion of this tonight, with a nice green salad with
vinaigrette, and a glass of red wine. I had a square of 85% choc for
dessert, and was 5.9 (106) at 1 hour. I hope it works as well for you!

Nicky.
T2 DX 05/2004
A1c 5.5% BMI 25 D&E
100ug Thyroxine
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

That looks just great. For those on the western side of the pond,
sultanas are the same as golden raisins. I suspect that if I can'r find
the cranberries, raisins would work, too.

We LOVE curry, and hubby gets his over spaghetti squash.

Gillian

Nicky wrote:
> Tonight for supper I made a dish I grew up with, in Africa; it's an
> ideal introduction to mildly curried dishes, and a wonderful
> opportunity to get lots and lots of polyphenols into a meal.
>
> For 4 people, served with a green salad, the ingredients a
>
> 600g steak mince (aka ground beef)
> lge yellow onion
> 2 cloves garlic
> 2T dried unsweetened cranberries
> 2T sultanas
> 1 green apple, chopped
> 2t curry powder
> 1t cinnamon
> 1t turmeric
> oil for frying
> 2 eggs
> splash milk - maybe 25 ml
>
> Gently fry onion until slightly coloured. Add garlic and fry for a
> minute, until the aroma is released. Add meat and spices, brown. Add
> fruit. Check seasoning. Let mixture cool a little.
>
> Heat the oven to 160deg C.
> Beat eggs and milk together.
> Pour meat mixture into a casserole dish, and press down flat. Pour
> over egg mixture, and bake for 30 mins.
>
> I ate a good portion of this tonight, with a nice green salad with
> vinaigrette, and a glass of red wine. I had a square of 85% choc for
> dessert, and was 5.9 (106) at 1 hour. I hope it works as well for you!
>
> Nicky.
> T2 DX 05/2004
> A1c 5.5% BMI 25 D&E
> 100ug Thyroxine

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Nicky > wrote:

> Tonight for supper I made a dish I grew up with, in Africa; it's an
> ideal introduction to mildly curried dishes, and a wonderful
> opportunity to get lots and lots of polyphenols into a meal.

[snip]

OK, that one's a keeper! Now, how much is 600g in pounds or ounces?

Priscilla, who used a package of ground beef in pasta sauce last night,
darn it!
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article <0O8vh.2567$RJ4.50@trnddc08>,
Gill Murray > wrote:

> That looks just great. For those on the western side of the pond,
> sultanas are the same as golden raisins. I suspect that if I can'r find
> the cranberries, raisins would work, too.

I can't find dried UNsweetened cranberries, but I got some dried
unsweetened currants the other day. Hmmmm....

Priscilla
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Priscilla Ballou > wrote:

> OK, that one's a keeper! Now, how much is 600g in pounds or ounces?

I used http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/gram_calc.htm to answer my own
question. It's 21 ounces, which is 1 lb 5 oz, or a little over 1 1/4
lbs.

Priscilla

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Priscilla Ballou wrote:
> In article <0O8vh.2567$RJ4.50@trnddc08>,
> Gill Murray > wrote:
>

>>That looks just great. For those on the western side of the pond,
>>sultanas are the same as golden raisins. I suspect that if I can'r find
>>the cranberries, raisins would work, too.

> I can't find dried UNsweetened cranberries, but I got some dried
> unsweetened currants the other day. Hmmmm....
>
> Priscilla

As we used to say..."Six of one, and a half-dozen of the other"! Go for
it!! Priscilla, what are craisins.........do they fit in this category
here in the US?

Gillian
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Gill Murray wrote:
> That looks just great. For those on the western side of

the pond,
> sultanas are the same as golden raisins. I suspect that if

I can'r
> find the cranberries, raisins would work, too.

Dried cranberries are called craisins in Australia, for any
Oz readers.

I have only ever put sultanas and apple in my sweet curries.
But cranberries are nice.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl wrote:
> Gill Murray wrote:
>
>>That looks just great. For those on the western side of

> the pond,
>
>>sultanas are the same as golden raisins. I suspect that if

> I can'r
>
>>find the cranberries, raisins would work, too.

> Dried cranberries are called craisins in Australia, for any
> Oz readers.
>
> I have only ever put sultanas and apple in my sweet curries.
> But cranberries are nice.

Great, we get craisins here in the US, but I have never bought any.

Gillian
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 17:44:20 -0500, Priscilla Ballou
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Priscilla Ballou > wrote:
>
>> OK, that one's a keeper! Now, how much is 600g in pounds or ounces?

>I used http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/gram_calc.htm to answer my own
>question. It's 21 ounces, which is 1 lb 5 oz, or a little over 1 1/4
>lbs.

Apologies for non-translation : ) Pre-dx, I used to stretch the meat
a little with a slice of bread soaked in milk. Milk and meat often go
together in South African cookery, which strikes me as odd now because
we knew several Jewish people out there who kept kosher - I wonder
what they subbed? It always tasted good... Anyway, back to the point -
if one package of ground beef wouldn't feed the crowd you're cooking
for, it can be stretched by adding sauteed chopped veggies - carrot
and celery would go well, as would eggplant or mushroom. The mixture
might be a bit dry at the end of the frying pan stage, but that's OK -
the egg mix will bind it all together.

Incidentally, the original fruit mixture would be sultanas and dried
apricots, which are of wonderful quality in South Africa. I happened
to be out of apricots, but subbing the cranberries should increase the
polyphenol level, and the apple acts to recycle the vit C so you use
it much more effectively. I think it still works that way when you
cook the apple!

Nicky.
T2 DX 05/2004
A1c 5.5% BMI 25 D&E
100ug Thyroxine
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 16:58:10 -0500, Priscilla Ballou
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Nicky > wrote:
>
>> Tonight for supper I made a dish I grew up with, in Africa; it's an
>> ideal introduction to mildly curried dishes, and a wonderful
>> opportunity to get lots and lots of polyphenols into a meal.

>[snip]
>
>OK, that one's a keeper! Now, how much is 600g in pounds or ounces?

Priscilla, 1000grams = 1 kilogram = 2.2 pounds
So 600grams = .6 x 2.2 = 1.32 pounds ~ 1 pound 5 oz

Gerry

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Priscilla Ballou" > wrote in message

> I can't find dried UNsweetened cranberries, but I got some dried
> unsweetened currants the other day. Hmmmm....

I found some only right at the time they were in season, and only briefly.
Meanwhile, I made my own.