Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default baked beans

Baked Beans

When I was growing up, at least once a month my mom would make a pot of
baked beans with molasses and brown sugar, no canned beans for us. In
the last few years I took over the job (although, only about three or
four times a year).

Four months ago my gp had me take a glucose tolerance test and he told
me I was "pre-diabetic". So I now check once a day, lost about 12 lbs
and watch what I eat.

I've been wanting to make baked beans again but I don't think that the
sugar and molasses would fit in my diet.

Would anyone have a recipe for diabetic friendly baked beans?

Barking dog.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article .net>,
Barking Dog > wrote:

> Baked Beans
>
> When I was growing up, at least once a month my mom would make a pot of
> baked beans with molasses and brown sugar, no canned beans for us. In
> the last few years I took over the job (although, only about three or
> four times a year).
>
> Four months ago my gp had me take a glucose tolerance test and he told
> me I was "pre-diabetic". So I now check once a day, lost about 12 lbs
> and watch what I eat.
>
> I've been wanting to make baked beans again but I don't think that the
> sugar and molasses would fit in my diet.
>
> Would anyone have a recipe for diabetic friendly baked beans?
>
> Barking dog.

Nope, but what I would do would be either make regular beans and control
the portion size or sub yellow soybeans for the great northern beans,
use lots of salt pork, and try some artifically sweetened fake maple
syrup, erythritol for sweetness, and maybe see if there's a Davinci
molasses flavored syrup. They probably won't get the nice crusty top
due to the absence of actual sugar, but you could probably cut down
significantly on the carb content.

This is timely because I'm planning on baking beans for a family dinner
sometime in the next couple of months. I'm going to make them the
regular way, with *lots* of salt pork (because I love it). Maybe I'll
try two -- one with great northern beans and one with soy beans.
Hmmmmm. I sense an experiment coming on. I'll try to remember to take
notes if I do this.

Priscilla
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 21:55:20 GMT, Barking Dog
> wrote:

>Baked Beans
>
>When I was growing up, at least once a month my mom would make a pot of
>baked beans with molasses and brown sugar, no canned beans for us. In
>the last few years I took over the job (although, only about three or
>four times a year).
>
>Four months ago my gp had me take a glucose tolerance test and he told
>me I was "pre-diabetic". So I now check once a day, lost about 12 lbs
>and watch what I eat.
>
>I've been wanting to make baked beans again but I don't think that the
>sugar and molasses would fit in my diet.
>
>Would anyone have a recipe for diabetic friendly baked beans?
>
>Barking dog.

You should be able to find alternate recipes with honey or maple syrup
instead of the processed sugar. Then avoid the tempataion to use an
artificial syrup. If all else fails, try searching on
rec.food.recipes, or send them a request.

Bob McConnell
N2SPP

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Barking Dog" > wrote in message
link.net...
: Baked Beans
:
: When I was growing up, at least once a month my mom would make a pot of
: baked beans with molasses and brown sugar, no canned beans for us. In
: the last few years I took over the job (although, only about three or
: four times a year).
:
: Four months ago my gp had me take a glucose tolerance test and he told
: me I was "pre-diabetic". So I now check once a day, lost about 12 lbs
: and watch what I eat.
:
: I've been wanting to make baked beans again but I don't think that the
: sugar and molasses would fit in my diet.
:
: Would anyone have a recipe for diabetic friendly baked beans?
:
: Barking dog.

I've been using Eden Organic Black Soy Beans as my bean substitute.
http://www.netrition.com/eden_black_soy_beans_page.html
(8 carbs, 7 fiber, 1sugar & 11 protein for a 1/2 cup)

I use them for bake bean, chilli, etc...
Are they the same as regular beans? NO! But they are ok for me. I
especially like them in chilli. IMHO YMMV

Bar-B-Que Picnic-Style Beans

Ingredients:
a.. 1 small chopped onion
b.. 1 clove garlic (or garlic powder to taste)
c.. bacon drippings
d.. 4 slices crisp-cooked bacon, broken in pieces
e.. 2 15-oz cans Eden Organic Black Soy Beans
f.. 1 lg. can diced (no sugar added) tomatoes
g.. 1 teaspoon dry mustard
h.. 2 teaspoons cumin (preferably the whole seeds crushed)
i.. 1 teaspoon white vinegar
j.. 1 teaspoon Brown Sugar Twin
k.. 2 to 5 packets Splenda (your sweetening preference)
l.. salt and pepper to taste

Saute chopped onion and garlic in bacon drippings until semi-soft.

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Toss remaining ingredients with onion/garlic in a large bowl till
well-blended but don't "smash" the beans. In a large casserole dish sprayed
with PAM, add mixture and bake for 1 hour at 350°. Cool for 5-10 minutes
before serving.

Serves 8. 5.6 grams per serving.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Bob McConnell > wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 21:55:20 GMT, Barking Dog
> > wrote:
>
> >Baked Beans
> >
> >When I was growing up, at least once a month my mom would make a pot of
> >baked beans with molasses and brown sugar, no canned beans for us. In
> >the last few years I took over the job (although, only about three or
> >four times a year).
> >
> >Four months ago my gp had me take a glucose tolerance test and he told
> >me I was "pre-diabetic". So I now check once a day, lost about 12 lbs
> >and watch what I eat.
> >
> >I've been wanting to make baked beans again but I don't think that the
> >sugar and molasses would fit in my diet.
> >
> >Would anyone have a recipe for diabetic friendly baked beans?
> >
> >Barking dog.

> You should be able to find alternate recipes with honey or maple syrup
> instead of the processed sugar. Then avoid the tempataion to use an
> artificial syrup. If all else fails, try searching on
> rec.food.recipes, or send them a request.

This would not be a diabetic friendly recipe. Honey and maple syrup are,
for a diabetic, exactly the same as processed sugar.

--
AF
"Non Sequitur U has a really, really lousy debate team."

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Barking Dog wrote:
> Baked Beans
>
> When I was growing up, at least once a month my mom would make a pot of
> baked beans with molasses and brown sugar, no canned beans for us. In
> the last few years I took over the job (although, only about three or
> four times a year).
>
> Four months ago my gp had me take a glucose tolerance test and he told
> me I was "pre-diabetic". So I now check once a day, lost about 12 lbs
> and watch what I eat.
>
> I've been wanting to make baked beans again but I don't think that the
> sugar and molasses would fit in my diet.
>
> Would anyone have a recipe for diabetic friendly baked beans?
>
> Barking dog.

Somebody on this group gave a decent substitute for this. I think it was
1 tsp of molasses to 1 cup of Brown Sugar-Twin, or brown Splenda. I was
sure I had saved the post, but can't find it. Pete R, was it you who
posted this?? It is also the beans, full of carbs, that are not
diabetic-friendly, to my husband at least!

Gillian
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Bob McConnell > wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 21:55:20 GMT, Barking Dog
> > wrote:
>
> >Baked Beans
> >
> >When I was growing up, at least once a month my mom would make a pot of
> >baked beans with molasses and brown sugar, no canned beans for us. In
> >the last few years I took over the job (although, only about three or
> >four times a year).
> >
> >Four months ago my gp had me take a glucose tolerance test and he told
> >me I was "pre-diabetic". So I now check once a day, lost about 12 lbs
> >and watch what I eat.
> >
> >I've been wanting to make baked beans again but I don't think that the
> >sugar and molasses would fit in my diet.
> >
> >Would anyone have a recipe for diabetic friendly baked beans?
> >
> >Barking dog.

> You should be able to find alternate recipes with honey or maple syrup
> instead of the processed sugar. Then avoid the tempataion to use an
> artificial syrup. If all else fails, try searching on
> rec.food.recipes, or send them a request.

How on earth would honey or maple syrup be more diabetic friendly than
processed sugar? Have you tested after eating them?

Priscilla
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 09:50:17 -0500, Alice Faber >
wrote:

>In article >,
> Bob McConnell > wrote:
>

>> You should be able to find alternate recipes with honey or maple syrup
>> instead of the processed sugar. Then avoid the tempataion to use an
>> artificial syrup. If all else fails, try searching on
>> rec.food.recipes, or send them a request.

>This would not be a diabetic friendly recipe. Honey and maple syrup are,
>for a diabetic, exactly the same as processed sugar.

That's a rather sweeping generalization, isn't it? I have known
diabetics, on insulin, that had no problem with natural sugars, but
could not handle processed cane sugar at all. Since the OP is not yet
a full diabetic, he may be able to use them without accelerating his
deterioration.

Bob McConnell
N2SPP

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Bob McConnell > wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 09:50:17 -0500, Alice Faber >
> wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > Bob McConnell > wrote:
> >

> >> You should be able to find alternate recipes with honey or maple syrup
> >> instead of the processed sugar. Then avoid the tempataion to use an
> >> artificial syrup. If all else fails, try searching on
> >> rec.food.recipes, or send them a request.

> >This would not be a diabetic friendly recipe. Honey and maple syrup are,
> >for a diabetic, exactly the same as processed sugar.

> That's a rather sweeping generalization, isn't it? I have known
> diabetics, on insulin, that had no problem with natural sugars, but
> could not handle processed cane sugar at all. Since the OP is not yet
> a full diabetic, he may be able to use them without accelerating his
> deterioration.

I'm sorry, but that just doesn't compute.

I sure hope no-one follows your advice without testing to discover how
little you really know.

Priscilla
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Barking Dog" > wrote in message
link.net...
> Baked Beans
>
> When I was growing up, at least once a month my mom would make a pot of
> baked beans with molasses and brown sugar, no canned beans for us. In
> the last few years I took over the job (although, only about three or four
> times a year).
>
> Four months ago my gp had me take a glucose tolerance test and he told me
> I was "pre-diabetic". So I now check once a day, lost about 12 lbs and
> watch what I eat.
>
> I've been wanting to make baked beans again but I don't think that the
> sugar and molasses would fit in my diet.
>
> Would anyone have a recipe for diabetic friendly baked beans?

I don't have the exact recipe offhand. I was given a recipe from someone
here a long time ago. And I have to leave so I'll try to look for it when
I get back.

Basically you start with a TON of carmelized onions. This adds a lot of
sweetness. For the sauce you add just a touch of molasses, perhaps 1/4 cup
for a very large pot. I also use low carb ketchup, a bit of mustard, some
salt and a lot of freshly cracked black pepper. Taste and if not sweet
enough add some Splenda. If you don't like Splenda you can use a different
sweetener but if it's not safe to cook with add it at the end. I added
bacon to mine because my family seems to like bacon. Use pea beans (or
whatever kind you normally use) that have been soaked and cooked first on
the top of the stove in plain water until tender. Then mix it all up and
put it in the crock pot. Do a couple of hours on high to get it up to a
nice heat then turn down the heat and cook the heck out of it. We're
talking 12 or more hours here. When I made these for the 4th of July, I
put them in the crock around 1:00 a.m. and we didn't eat them until the next
day at about 6:00 p.m. You might want to check them and add a bit of water
if they seem dry but really the crock keeps them from getting too dried out.

The person who gave me this recipe did hers in a low oven. I just used the
crock pot because it's easier. They are really yummy and everyone loved
them. I pretty much just did everything to taste. But again, I will look
for the recipe later when I get back.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 01:59:10 -0500, "bill" > wrote:

>Pre diabetic confuses me ... Is it true that you're either a diabetic or not
>a diabetic? Also any word that ends in "tose" also means it is a sugar ?

Hi, Bill - yup, pretty much true on both counts.

Diabetes is a spectrum; the current diagnosis criteria were set by
committee a couple of years ago, they were less strict before and no
doubt will be stricter again in the future.

Glucose, fructose, lactose, sucrose are all sugars. Sucralose is
Splenda... but don't get too hung up on avoiding sugars. Your saliva
has enzymes that convert starches to sugar before you swallow - it's
important to take account of all carbohydrates, not just sugar. This
link tells you how:
http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/...0Diagnosed.htm

Nicky.
T2 DX 05/2004
A1c 5.5% BMI 25 D&E
100ug Thyroxine
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Bob McConnell" > wrote in message

> You should be able to find alternate recipes with honey or maple syrup
> instead of the processed sugar. Then avoid the tempataion to use an
> artificial syrup. If all else fails, try searching on
> rec.food.recipes, or send them a request.

Huh? Why would that stuff be better than sugar? It's all got carbs in it!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Thanks to all who (whom?) responded about baked beans. I thought the
beans themselves were low carb. I now know they are not. Great
northern have 12.5 net carbs per 1/2 cup.

There was some recipes that sound interesting with soy beens. I've
never had soy beans.

Bill questioned the pre-diabetic. That also confuses me somewhat but,
that is what my Doctor called it and he is supposed to be THE diabetes
doctor in the area.

I'm still learning what I can and can not indulge in.

Barking dog
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Susan wrote:

> Not SOY beans, BLACK SOYBEANS. Read the label; fiber grams should be
> equal to carbs.
>
> Susan

I will look for them. I just copied and pasted off the recipe. Either
way, I've never had them and they sound interesting. How is the taste
and texture as compared to great northern and or navy beans?
Thanks
Barking dog.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I've never had them either, but I've ordered some since others say they
are good. Acceptable would work fine for me. :-)

Barking Dog wrote in message ...speaking of black soy beans

>I will look for them. I just copied and pasted off the recipe. Either
>way, I've never had them and they sound interesting. How is the taste
>and texture as compared to great northern and or navy beans?
>Thanks
>Barking dog.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Barking Dog > wrote in
link.net:
>snip>
>
> Bill questioned the pre-diabetic. That also confuses me somewhat
> but, that is what my Doctor called it and he is supposed to be THE
> diabetes doctor in the area.
>
> I'm still learning what I can and can not indulge in.
>
> Barking dog

Pre-diabetic means that your fasting blood sugar is between 110-125
(unless they've lowered it yet again!) If you're really careful with
diet and exercise, hopefully you won't develop diabetes. I sure wish
I had firmer warnings years ago. My docs were always wussy about it -
with a fasting of 130-135, I was told "your bg is a little high and
you should watch what you eat" When I was diagnosed, it was 292.

The best way to learn is to test - I hope your diabetes doc has you
monitoring your blood sugars on a regular basis. Take your blood
sugar before you eat and 1 1/2 - 2 hrs afterwards until you learn how
your body reacts to certain foods. You'll be surprised!

Of course, once you learn this, you'll need to test regularly as per
your doc's instructions. The key is that diabetes is a progressive
disease and we can't assume that since you have good results with a
particular meal that it will be the same way next month or next year.

I used to be able to do fine on 45 grams of carbs per meal. I have to
either take more meds or eat less carbs now.....

I *hate* this disease!

Sherry
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

That is sort of my story too, right down to the same fasting number on
diagnosis. I don't much care for the disease either, but am living with
it without too much complaining. OK, maybe a little too much complaining
at times, but all in all...not too bad. :-)

Cheri

Sherry wrote in message ...
>diet and exercise, hopefully you won't develop diabetes. I sure wish
>I had firmer warnings years ago. My docs were always wussy about it -
>with a fasting of 130-135, I was told "your bg is a little high and
>you should watch what you eat" When I was diagnosed, it was 292.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 16:53:40 GMT, Barking Dog
> wrote:

>I will look for them. I just copied and pasted off the recipe. Either
>way, I've never had them and they sound interesting. How is the taste
>and texture as compared to great northern and or navy beans?

They're good. Taste a bit nutty to me - and I have no complaints from
the family. I can only find them canned, I'd like to find some dried
ones and cook them myself.

Nicky.
T2 DX 05/2004
A1c 5.5% BMI 25 D&E
100ug Thyroxine
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article .net>,
Barking Dog > wrote:

> Bill questioned the pre-diabetic. That also confuses me somewhat but,
> that is what my Doctor called it and he is supposed to be THE diabetes
> doctor in the area.

"Pre-diabetes" is the term for when our fasting BG is running 100-126.
Once it moves over 126, we graduate to diabetes. (Roughly speaking)

Since the way to keep pre-diabetes from advancing to diabetes is to
treat it exactly as you would the diabetes, I call pre-diabetes "early
diabetes."

Priscilla, T2
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 21:55:20 GMT, Barking Dog
> Huffed and Puffed the following into the
madness of usenet:

>Baked Beans
>
>When I was growing up, at least once a month my mom would make a pot of
>baked beans with molasses and brown sugar, no canned beans for us. In
>the last few years I took over the job (although, only about three or
>four times a year).
>
>Four months ago my gp had me take a glucose tolerance test and he told
>me I was "pre-diabetic". So I now check once a day, lost about 12 lbs
>and watch what I eat.
>
>I've been wanting to make baked beans again but I don't think that the
>sugar and molasses would fit in my diet.
>
>Would anyone have a recipe for diabetic friendly baked beans?
>
>Barking dog.

I'd have to look for a substitute for the molasses but you could
always use sweet-n-low brown sugar as the brown sugar substitute.

--
Mck©® Deltec CoZmore Pumper
Type 1 since 1975

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the
President, or that we are to stand by the President
right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile,
but is morally treasonable to the American public."
....Theodore Roosevelt

(o ô)
--ooO-(_)-Ooo--------------------

"I don't know half of you
half as well as I should like;
and I like less than half of you
half as well as you deserve."
....Bilbo Baggins

DISCLAIMER If you find a posting or message from me
me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...
..

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 08:49:14 -0500, Bob McConnell
> Huffed and Puffed the following into
the madness of usenet:

>On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 21:55:20 GMT, Barking Dog
> wrote:
>
>>Baked Beans
>>
>>When I was growing up, at least once a month my mom would make a pot of
>>baked beans with molasses and brown sugar, no canned beans for us. In
>>the last few years I took over the job (although, only about three or
>>four times a year).
>>
>>Four months ago my gp had me take a glucose tolerance test and he told
>>me I was "pre-diabetic". So I now check once a day, lost about 12 lbs
>>and watch what I eat.
>>
>>I've been wanting to make baked beans again but I don't think that the
>>sugar and molasses would fit in my diet.
>>
>>Would anyone have a recipe for diabetic friendly baked beans?
>>
>>Barking dog.

>You should be able to find alternate recipes with honey or maple syrup
>instead of the processed sugar. Then avoid the tempataion to use an
>artificial syrup. If all else fails, try searching on
>rec.food.recipes, or send them a request.
>
>Bob McConnell
>N2SPP

honey would not be a substitute.

one of the sugar free maple syrups might work, if it didn't alter the
flavor too much.

--
Mck©® Deltec CoZmore Pumper
Type 1 since 1975
http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org
http://www.diabetic-talk.org
http://www.insulin-pumpers.org
http://www.pandora.com enter "Jason & Demarco"

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the
President, or that we are to stand by the President
right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile,
but is morally treasonable to the American public."
....Theodore Roosevelt

(o ô)
--ooO-(_)-Ooo--------------------

"I don't know half of you
half as well as I should like;
and I like less than half of you
half as well as you deserve."
....Bilbo Baggins

DISCLAIMER If you find a posting or message from me
me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...
..

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 18:32:24 -0500, Bob McConnell
> Huffed and Puffed the following into
the madness of usenet:

>On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 09:50:17 -0500, Alice Faber >
>wrote:
>
>>In article >,
>> Bob McConnell > wrote:
>>

>>> You should be able to find alternate recipes with honey or maple syrup
>>> instead of the processed sugar. Then avoid the tempataion to use an
>>> artificial syrup. If all else fails, try searching on
>>> rec.food.recipes, or send them a request.

>>This would not be a diabetic friendly recipe. Honey and maple syrup are,
>>for a diabetic, exactly the same as processed sugar.

>That's a rather sweeping generalization, isn't it? I have known
>diabetics, on insulin, that had no problem with natural sugars, but
>could not handle processed cane sugar at all. Since the OP is not yet
>a full diabetic, he may be able to use them without accelerating his
>deterioration.
>
>Bob McConnell
>N2SPP

sorry?¿

natural or processed makes no difference to a type 1. Honey will
impact our BG the same way table sugar will. And no, using honey will
not slow the process of becoming a type 2 like the OP is becoming.

--
Mck©® Deltec CoZmore Pumper
Type 1 since 1975
http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org
http://www.diabetic-talk.org
http://www.insulin-pumpers.org
http://www.pandora.com enter "Jason & Demarco"

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the
President, or that we are to stand by the President
right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile,
but is morally treasonable to the American public."
....Theodore Roosevelt

(o ô)
--ooO-(_)-Ooo--------------------

"I don't know half of you
half as well as I should like;
and I like less than half of you
half as well as you deserve."
....Bilbo Baggins

DISCLAIMER If you find a posting or message from me
me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...
..

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Bob McConnell > wrote:
: On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 21:55:20 GMT, Barking Dog
: > wrote:

: >Baked Beans
: >
[...]

Honey or maple syrup is no better than the molasses, all very high fst
acting carbs. Either make an unsweetened recipe(not very trdiitional) or
use artificial sweeteners.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Bob McConnell > wrote:
: On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 09:50:17 -0500, Alice Faber >
: wrote:

: >In article >,
: > Bob McConnell > wrote:
: >
: >>
: >> You should be able to find alternate recipes with honey or maple syrup
: >> instead of the processed sugar. Then avoid the tempataion to use an
: >> artificial syrup. If all else fails, try searching on
: >> rec.food.recipes, or send them a request.
: >
: >This would not be a diabetic friendly recipe. Honey and maple syrup are,
: >for a diabetic, exactly the same as processed sugar.

: That's a rather sweeping generalization, isn't it? I have known
: diabetics, on insulin, that had no problem with natural sugars, but
: could not handle processed cane sugar at all. Since the OP is not yet
: a full diabetic, he may be able to use them without accelerating his
: deterioration.

: Bob McConnell
: N2SPP

Diabetic on insulin, without insulin resistance may well be ablt to
"cover" the sugar carbs in honey or maple syrup with carefully timed
insulin, but type 2's the majority out there, cannot. A tiny portion
might be manageable, even with the molasses, but who woudl stop at 3
beans?

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 03:46:10 GMT, Barking Dog
> wrote:

>Sherry wrote:
>> Barking Dog > wrote in
>> link.net:
>>
>>>snip>
>>>
>>>Bill questioned the pre-diabetic. That also confuses me somewhat
>>>but, that is what my Doctor called it and he is supposed to be THE
>>>diabetes doctor in the area.
>>>
>>>I'm still learning what I can and can not indulge in.
>>>
>>>Barking dog

>> Pre-diabetic means that your fasting blood sugar is between 110-125
>> (unless they've lowered it yet again!) If you're really careful with
>> diet and exercise, hopefully you won't develop diabetes. I sure wish
>> I had firmer warnings years ago. My docs were always wussy about it -
>> with a fasting of 130-135, I was told "your bg is a little high and
>> you should watch what you eat" When I was diagnosed, it was 292.
>>
>> The best way to learn is to test - I hope your diabetes doc has you
>> monitoring your blood sugars on a regular basis. Take your blood
>> sugar before you eat and 1 1/2 - 2 hrs afterwards until you learn how
>> your body reacts to certain foods. You'll be surprised!
>>
>> Of course, once you learn this, you'll need to test regularly as per
>> your doc's instructions. The key is that diabetes is a progressive
>> disease and we can't assume that since you have good results with a
>> particular meal that it will be the same way next month or next year.
>>
>> I used to be able to do fine on 45 grams of carbs per meal. I have to
>> either take more meds or eat less carbs now.....
>>
>> I *hate* this disease!
>>
>> Sherry

>When I was first started testing once a day - usually 2 hours after
>dinner - last October my numbers were running 120 to 164 generally
>around 145. I now see a dietitian once a month, eat oat meal for
>breakfast instead of two eggs, sausage, home fries and toast. lowered
>my carbs to about 45 or 50 g a meal and cut out the pasta.
>
>My numbers during january are now 110 to 140 - closer to 120 avarage
>and I lost !12 pounds! my next intermediate goal is another 5 pounds.
>
>Now if I could just get off my bottom and exercise I might just do O.K..
>

>Barking Dog

Hi BD

Congratualations on the weight loss and improved numbers.

Read this and you may improve them even mo
http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/NewlyDiagnosed.htm

Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1000mg, ezetrol 10mg
--
I have no medical qualifications beyond my own experience.
Choose your advisers carefully, because experience can be

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Sherry wrote:
> Barking Dog > wrote in
> link.net:
>
>>snip>
>>
>>Bill questioned the pre-diabetic. That also confuses me somewhat
>>but, that is what my Doctor called it and he is supposed to be THE
>>diabetes doctor in the area.
>>
>>I'm still learning what I can and can not indulge in.
>>
>>Barking dog

> Pre-diabetic means that your fasting blood sugar is between 110-125
> (unless they've lowered it yet again!) If you're really careful with
> diet and exercise, hopefully you won't develop diabetes. I sure wish
> I had firmer warnings years ago. My docs were always wussy about it -
> with a fasting of 130-135, I was told "your bg is a little high and
> you should watch what you eat" When I was diagnosed, it was 292.
>
> The best way to learn is to test - I hope your diabetes doc has you
> monitoring your blood sugars on a regular basis. Take your blood
> sugar before you eat and 1 1/2 - 2 hrs afterwards until you learn how
> your body reacts to certain foods. You'll be surprised!
>
> Of course, once you learn this, you'll need to test regularly as per
> your doc's instructions. The key is that diabetes is a progressive
> disease and we can't assume that since you have good results with a
> particular meal that it will be the same way next month or next year.
>
> I used to be able to do fine on 45 grams of carbs per meal. I have to
> either take more meds or eat less carbs now.....
>
> I *hate* this disease!
>
> Sherry

When I was first started testing once a day - usually 2 hours after
dinner - last October my numbers were running 120 to 164 generally
around 145. I now see a dietitian once a month, eat oat meal for
breakfast instead of two eggs, sausage, home fries and toast. lowered
my carbs to about 45 or 50 g a meal and cut out the pasta.

My numbers during january are now 110 to 140 - closer to 120 avarage
and I lost !12 pounds! my next intermediate goal is another 5 pounds.

Now if I could just get off my bottom and exercise I might just do O.K..

Barking Dog
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Bob McConnell" > wrote in message
news
> That's a rather sweeping generalization, isn't it? I have known
> diabetics, on insulin, that had no problem with natural sugars, but
> could not handle processed cane sugar at all. Since the OP is not yet
> a full diabetic, he may be able to use them without accelerating his
> deterioration.

Well, the people you know are the odd ones out then, because for most of us
cane sugar acts no differently to our BG than honey or maple syrup.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article .net>,
Barking Dog > wrote:

> Sherry wrote:
> > Barking Dog > wrote in
> > link.net:
> >
> >>snip>
> >>
> >>Bill questioned the pre-diabetic. That also confuses me somewhat
> >>but, that is what my Doctor called it and he is supposed to be THE
> >>diabetes doctor in the area.
> >>
> >>I'm still learning what I can and can not indulge in.
> >>
> >>Barking dog

> > Pre-diabetic means that your fasting blood sugar is between 110-125
> > (unless they've lowered it yet again!) If you're really careful with
> > diet and exercise, hopefully you won't develop diabetes. I sure wish
> > I had firmer warnings years ago. My docs were always wussy about it -
> > with a fasting of 130-135, I was told "your bg is a little high and
> > you should watch what you eat" When I was diagnosed, it was 292.
> >
> > The best way to learn is to test - I hope your diabetes doc has you
> > monitoring your blood sugars on a regular basis. Take your blood
> > sugar before you eat and 1 1/2 - 2 hrs afterwards until you learn how
> > your body reacts to certain foods. You'll be surprised!
> >
> > Of course, once you learn this, you'll need to test regularly as per
> > your doc's instructions. The key is that diabetes is a progressive
> > disease and we can't assume that since you have good results with a
> > particular meal that it will be the same way next month or next year.
> >
> > I used to be able to do fine on 45 grams of carbs per meal. I have to
> > either take more meds or eat less carbs now.....
> >
> > I *hate* this disease!
> >
> > Sherry

> When I was first started testing once a day - usually 2 hours after
> dinner - last October my numbers were running 120 to 164 generally
> around 145. I now see a dietitian once a month, eat oat meal for
> breakfast instead of two eggs, sausage, home fries and toast. lowered
> my carbs to about 45 or 50 g a meal and cut out the pasta.
>
> My numbers during january are now 110 to 140 - closer to 120 avarage
> and I lost !12 pounds! my next intermediate goal is another 5 pounds.
>
> Now if I could just get off my bottom and exercise I might just do O.K..

You test only once a day? Have you ever tried testing 1 hour after
eating oatmeal for breakfast?

Priscilla
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Barking Dog wrote:

> Baked Beans
>
> When I was growing up, at least once a month my mom would make a pot of
> baked beans with molasses and brown sugar, no canned beans for us. In
> the last few years I took over the job (although, only about three or
> four times a year).
>
> Four months ago my gp had me take a glucose tolerance test and he told
> me I was "pre-diabetic". So I now check once a day, lost about 12 lbs
> and watch what I eat.
>
> I've been wanting to make baked beans again but I don't think that the
> sugar and molasses would fit in my diet.
>
> Would anyone have a recipe for diabetic friendly baked beans?
>
> Barking dog.

I use canned white beans that have been thoroughly rinsed. I saute some
chopped onion in a little olive oil, add the beans, a pinch of dry
mustard powder, some sugar-free pancake syrup and a little ketchup. You
may need to add some water or low fat chicken broth. After heating this
up in a saucepan, I put it into a crock pot for at least an hour, adding
water as needed.

You can use a strip of bacon instead of the olive oil, using the grease
to saute the onion and chopping the bacon to put back with the beans.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Barking Dog" > wrote in message
link.net...

> Would anyone have a recipe for diabetic friendly baked beans?
>
> Barking dog.

I got this recipe in my email today. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks
like it would be very good. I'd tweak the recipe a tad by using brown sugar
Splenda and Heinz One-Carb ketchup.

Karen
Type 2

BOSTON BAKED BEANS

Yield: 16 servings
Source: "Forbidden Foods Diabetic Cooking" by Maggie Powers
Info: http://diabeticgourmet.com/book_arch...tails/12.shtml

- 1 pound dried navy beans
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/3 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper

Place the beans in a strainer and sort through the beans
to remove stones, discolored beans, or any other objects.
Rinse with cold water until beans are clean, about 2 minutes.

In a large bowl, combine the beans, onion, salt, and
enough water to cover them by 2 inches. Let stand
8 hours or overnight at room temperature; do not refrigerate.

Preheat the oven to 300°F.

In a strainer, drain and rinse the beans and onion. Place in
a 4-quart saucepan and add the tomato, sugar, molasses, vinegar,
ketchup, ginger, mustard, and pepper; stir until blended. Add
enough water to cover the beans, about 2 cups. Cover and bake
until bubbly and the beans are soft, 5 hours.

Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/2 cup):
Calories: 110, Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 50 mg,
Carbohydrate: 21 g, Dietary Fiber: 4 g, Sugars: 4 g, Protein: 6 g
Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 Starch

RECIPE FROM THE ARCHIVE:
Carrot Salad with Dill
http://diabeticgourmet.com/recipes/html/353.shtml

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Karen in NC wrote:
> "Barking Dog" > wrote in message
> link.net...
>
>>Would anyone have a recipe for diabetic friendly baked beans?
>>
>>Barking dog.

> I got this recipe in my email today. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks
> like it would be very good. I'd tweak the recipe a tad by using brown sugar
> Splenda and Heinz One-Carb ketchup.
>
> Karen
> Type 2
>
> BOSTON BAKED BEANS
>
> Yield: 16 servings
> Source: "Forbidden Foods Diabetic Cooking" by Maggie Powers
> Info: http://diabeticgourmet.com/book_arch...tails/12.shtml
>
> - 1 pound dried navy beans
> - 1 large onion, chopped
> - 2 teaspoons salt
> - 1 tomato, chopped
> - 1/3 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
> - 3 tablespoons molasses
> - 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
> - 1 tablespoons ketchup
> - 1 tablespoon ground ginger
> - 1 teaspoon dry mustard
> - 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
>
> Place the beans in a strainer and sort through the beans
> to remove stones, discolored beans, or any other objects.
> Rinse with cold water until beans are clean, about 2 minutes.
>
> In a large bowl, combine the beans, onion, salt, and
> enough water to cover them by 2 inches. Let stand
> 8 hours or overnight at room temperature; do not refrigerate.
>
> Preheat the oven to 300°F.
>
> In a strainer, drain and rinse the beans and onion. Place in
> a 4-quart saucepan and add the tomato, sugar, molasses, vinegar,
> ketchup, ginger, mustard, and pepper; stir until blended. Add
> enough water to cover the beans, about 2 cups. Cover and bake
> until bubbly and the beans are soft, 5 hours.
>
> Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/2 cup):
> Calories: 110, Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 50 mg,
> Carbohydrate: 21 g, Dietary Fiber: 4 g, Sugars: 4 g, Protein: 6 g
> Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 Starch
>
> RECIPE FROM THE ARCHIVE:
> Carrot Salad with Dill
> http://diabeticgourmet.com/recipes/html/353.shtml

I hate to say it, but there is a lot of carbs in the beans, and the
sugar and molasses..Oh my!

The big problem is if they taste as good as they look, a 1/2 cup serving
is extremely small, and would be very hard for someone like my DH ro
limit himself to!!

Gillian!
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Priscilla H. Ballou" > wrote in
:

<snip>
>> When I was first started testing once a day - usually 2 hours after
>> dinner - last October my numbers were running 120 to 164 generally
>> around 145. I now see a dietitian once a month, eat oat meal for
>> breakfast instead of two eggs, sausage, home fries and toast.
>> lowered my carbs to about 45 or 50 g a meal and cut out the pasta.
>>
>> My numbers during january are now 110 to 140 - closer to 120
>> avarage and I lost !12 pounds! my next intermediate goal is another
>> 5 pounds.
>>
>> Now if I could just get off my bottom and exercise I might just do
>> O.K..

> You test only once a day? Have you ever tried testing 1 hour after
> eating oatmeal for breakfast?
>
> Priscilla

Great suggestion Priscilla! Bet his bg is a lot higher than 140 with
oatmeal for breakfast!

Testing solely after dinner is not a good indicator of anything other
than how dinner has affected his blood sugars! I'd be interested in
hearing what his fasting is as well as how the oatmeal is affecting his
bgs. Some diabetics can tolerate it, esp if it's steel-cut oats, but
rolled oats and esp instant oatmeal are really hard on us!

Sherry
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Gill Murray" > wrote in message

I hate to say it, but there is a lot of carbs in the beans, and the
sugar and molasses..Oh my!

The big problem is if they taste as good as they look, a 1/2 cup serving
is extremely small, and would be very hard for someone like my DH ro
limit himself to!!

Gillian

That's why I mentioned using brown sugar Splenda and one-carb ketchup to cut
down on the carbs a bit. A few more carbs could be trimmed if one decreased
the brown sugar to 1/4 cup (not packed) and the molasses to 2 tablespoons.
Any less than that and you'd probably lose the unique flavors of the brown
sugar and molasses.

Actually, if you look at the original recipe and do the math, the brown
sugar and molasses add a total of just 8g of carb per serving. Plus, keep
in mind that the fiber in the beans would tend to temper a spike in blood
glucose. There are 17 net grams of carb in a serving, which isn't terrible
at all unless one is on a very low-carb meal plan. I follow a moderate-carb
meal plan, so this recipe would work nicely for me.

I try to keep an open mind whenever I see sugar/molasses/honey/etc. in a
recipe intended for diabetics. I usually get out my calculator and figure
out how many grams of carb per serving the sweeteners add, and often they
don't add much at all. We can, of course, use our favorite artificial
sweeteners in place of sugar in many recipes, but it's difficult to
duplicate the distinctive flavoring of molasses or honey.

Karen
Type 2

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Gill Murray wrote:

> I hate to say it, but there is a lot of carbs in the beans, and the
> sugar and molasses..Oh my!
>
> The big problem is if they taste as good as they look, a 1/2 cup serving
> is extremely small, and would be very hard for someone like my DH ro
> limit himself to!!

The carbs in the beans are not so bad. I agree about the sugar and
molasses being no-nos. I have in front of me a can of Bush's Best Great
Northern Beans. According to the label there are 3.5 servings in the
15.8 ounce can. There are 16 grams of carbs per serving but 6 grams of
dietary fiber. For carb counters, this would mean a net of 11 grams of
carbs, less than a single "counted carb" (15 grams). Even with a little
regular ketchup and artificial sweeteners, many carb counters on
effective meds could handle them.

I put the servings on my DH's plate. If I don't use up all that I've
cooked, it goes immediately into a container and into the fridge.
Leaving extra stuff in the pot is not a good idea unless it's a very low
carb-count food and then I give him a higher carb count for his bolus so
that he can have "seconds" and think he's getting more food. Men are so
easy to trick <g>
--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Sherry wrote:

> Great suggestion Priscilla! Bet his bg is a lot higher than 140 with
> oatmeal for breakfast!
>
> Testing solely after dinner is not a good indicator of anything other
> than how dinner has affected his blood sugars! I'd be interested in
> hearing what his fasting is as well as how the oatmeal is affecting his
> bgs. Some diabetics can tolerate it, esp if it's steel-cut oats, but
> rolled oats and esp instant oatmeal are really hard on us!
>
> Sherry

Monday I checked 2 hrs after oatmeal I was 67. Tuesday fasting - 95. And
today - fasting 79, 1 hr - 150.
I usually check once a day because my Doc wrote the prescription for one
test a day and WallMart (I know - a mistake soon to be rectified)
won't let me have more than 50 strips at a time and give me grief if I
try to refill early.

Barking Dog.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article k.net>,
Barking Dog > wrote:

> Sherry wrote:
>

> > Great suggestion Priscilla! Bet his bg is a lot higher than 140 with
> > oatmeal for breakfast!
> >
> > Testing solely after dinner is not a good indicator of anything other
> > than how dinner has affected his blood sugars! I'd be interested in
> > hearing what his fasting is as well as how the oatmeal is affecting his
> > bgs. Some diabetics can tolerate it, esp if it's steel-cut oats, but
> > rolled oats and esp instant oatmeal are really hard on us!
> >
> > Sherry

> Monday I checked 2 hrs after oatmeal I was 67.

Sounds to me like reactive hypoglycemia after an early spike from all
that carb. I'd be low at 2 hours after eating all that, too.

> Tuesday fasting - 95. And
> today - fasting 79, 1 hr - 150.
> I usually check once a day because my Doc wrote the prescription for one
> test a day and WallMart (I know - a mistake soon to be rectified)
> won't let me have more than 50 strips at a time and give me grief if I
> try to refill early.

Sounds like you need to bug your MD so you can get enough strips to test
effectively.

Priscilla
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 16:45:27 GMT, Barking Dog
> wrote:

>Sherry wrote:
>

>> Great suggestion Priscilla! Bet his bg is a lot higher than 140 with
>> oatmeal for breakfast!
>>
>> Testing solely after dinner is not a good indicator of anything other
>> than how dinner has affected his blood sugars! I'd be interested in
>> hearing what his fasting is as well as how the oatmeal is affecting his
>> bgs. Some diabetics can tolerate it, esp if it's steel-cut oats, but
>> rolled oats and esp instant oatmeal are really hard on us!
>>
>> Sherry

>Monday I checked 2 hrs after oatmeal I was 67.

Sounds like a reactive low; next time check an hour after
you finish breakfast, I'd suspect you were a lot higher than
you think.

>Tuesday fasting - 95. And today - fasting 79, 1 hr - 150.

That sounds more like it - although still a bit lower than
I'd have expected. If you are having a very low fat
breakfast you may be peaking even earlier at, say, 45
minutes. Are you timing from the start or finish of eating?

>I usually check once a day because my Doc wrote the prescription for one
> test a day and WallMart (I know - a mistake soon to be rectified)
>won't let me have more than 50 strips at a time and give me grief if I
>try to refill early.

Can you afford to pay without subsidy? If so, consider the
investment.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1000mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Epidaurus
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 12:36:42 -0500, "Priscilla H. Ballou"

Great minds...I read this after I wrote my response:-)

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1000mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Epidaurus
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alan S wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 16:45:27 GMT, Barking Dog
> > wrote:
>

>>Sherry wrote:
>>

>>>Great suggestion Priscilla! Bet his bg is a lot higher than 140 with
>>>oatmeal for breakfast!
>>>
>>>Testing solely after dinner is not a good indicator of anything other
>>>than how dinner has affected his blood sugars! I'd be interested in
>>>hearing what his fasting is as well as how the oatmeal is affecting his
>>>bgs. Some diabetics can tolerate it, esp if it's steel-cut oats, but
>>>rolled oats and esp instant oatmeal are really hard on us!
>>>
>>>Sherry

>>Monday I checked 2 hrs after oatmeal I was 67.

> Sounds like a reactive low; next time check an hour after
> you finish breakfast, I'd suspect you were a lot higher than
> you think.
>

>>Tuesday fasting - 95. And today - fasting 79, 1 hr - 150.

> That sounds more like it - although still a bit lower than
> I'd have expected. If you are having a very low fat
> breakfast you may be peaking even earlier at, say, 45
> minutes. Are you timing from the start or finish of eating?

If I peak quickly - is that a good thing?

>>I usually check once a day because my Doc wrote the prescription for one
>> test a day and WallMart (I know - a mistake soon to be rectified)
>>won't let me have more than 50 strips at a time and give me grief if I
>>try to refill early.
>>

> Can you afford to pay without subsidy? If so, consider the
> investment.

50 strips is about $45 US, I'm retired on disibility. Every penny has to
be accounted for. I see my Doc at the end of the month so I will request
more strips for more testing.

> Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.

Barking Dog
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article .net>,
Barking Dog > wrote:

> > That sounds more like it - although still a bit lower than
> > I'd have expected. If you are having a very low fat
> > breakfast you may be peaking even earlier at, say, 45
> > minutes. Are you timing from the start or finish of eating?

> If I peak quickly - is that a good thing?

No, nor a bad thing. It's just a matter of figuring out when it is so
you can get the truth about how high you're spiking. Spiking high is
not a good thing.

Priscilla