FoodBanter.com

-   -   REC: Chinese Breakfast Porridge (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/113349-rec-chinese-breakfast-porridge.html)

Andrea2 14-01-2007 08:16 PM

REC: Chinese Breakfast Porridge

Chinese Breakfast Porridge

1/8 cup Barley
1/8 cup Buckwheat
1/8 cup Oats (steel cut or whole grain)
dash of salt
5 dried Jujube*(Chinese Red dates), more if small , quartered

Optional Ingredients: Splinda, cream, Coconut milk

Wash grains and add to 6 cups boiling water. Boil over low heat for 90
minutes, add more water as necessary. Stir in Jujube and boil for 20
minutes or until grains reach desired softness.

Add optional ingredients if desired.

Optional cooking method: (the one I use) Add 6 cups boiling water and
washed grains to a small crock-pot and cook overnight. In the morning
add Jujube and more boiling water if needed, cook on high for 15-20
minutes. Add optional ingredients to serving bowl.

*If Jujube is not available, chopped dates, raisons or other dried
fruit may be substituted. Chinese Jujube is said to have a mild
tranquilizing effect that eases the stress of busy life.

I had this for breakfast often when I was diet/exercise controlled
with no meds. It did not cause BG big spikes in me, YMMV. I only used
a little heavy cream added to the serving bowl just before eating.

Andrea2