Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Sautéed Broccoli, Roasted Peppers, and Goat Cheese

Sautéed Broccoli, Roasted Peppers, and Goat Cheese
Tender broccoli and sweet bell peppers create a winning combination in this
simple sauté!
START TO FINISH: 30 minutes MAKES: 4 servings

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 cups broccoli florets
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 cup bottled roasted red bell peppers, drained and chopped
1/4 cup chopped, pitted kalamata olives
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 green onion, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram or 1 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled

1. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add broccoli and garlic
and cook for 5 to 8 minutes or until broccoli is crisp-tender. Stir in
roasted bell peppers, olives, parsley, green onion, marjoram, lemon juice,
kosher salt, and black pepper. Heat through. Transfer mixture to 4 serving
plates or a platter; sprinkle with goat cheese.

Nutrition Facts per serving: 167 cal., 12 g total fat (4 g sat. fat), 11 mg
chol., 299 mg sodium, 11 g carbo., 4 g fiber, 6 g pro.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 2 Nov 2006 19:59:31 -0500, "Gumbo"
> wrote:

>Sautéed Broccoli, Roasted Peppers, and Goat Cheese
>Tender broccoli and sweet bell peppers create a winning combination in this
>simple sauté!
>START TO FINISH: 30 minutes MAKES: 4 servings
>
>2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
>4 cups broccoli florets
>2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
>1 cup bottled roasted red bell peppers, drained and chopped
>1/4 cup chopped, pitted kalamata olives
>2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
>1 green onion, thinly sliced
>1 tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram or 1 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
>1 tablespoon lemon juice
>1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
>1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
>2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
>
>1. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add broccoli and garlic
>and cook for 5 to 8 minutes or until broccoli is crisp-tender. Stir in
>roasted bell peppers, olives, parsley, green onion, marjoram, lemon juice,
>kosher salt, and black pepper. Heat through. Transfer mixture to 4 serving
>plates or a platter; sprinkle with goat cheese.
>
>Nutrition Facts per serving: 167 cal., 12 g total fat (4 g sat. fat), 11 mg
>chol., 299 mg sodium, 11 g carbo., 4 g fiber, 6 g pro.

Thank you. This is the first recipe you've posted recently I
could consider eating without severel modifying the carb
content.

Per serve:

Salmon: 52gm
Banana Bread: 32gm
Beet Salad: 25gm (brown sugar in a salad? Crikey!)

Are you an insulin user?

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1000mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Planning on the Net
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alan S wrote:

> Salmon: 52gm
> Banana Bread: 32gm
> Beet Salad: 25gm (brown sugar in a salad? Crikey!)
>
> Are you an insulin user?

Alan, my DH (T2) is on the pump and he wouldn't be crazy enough to eat
those recipes.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl wrote:

> From time to time we get people who see great high carb
> recipes and think woohoo, I don't really have to give up
> much to be healthy. It's sends a false signal to people.

That's why we need to be vigilant. It would be a shame if some newly
DX'd person got the wrong impression.

Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Thanks, Susan. I've had a pretty rough time, including an emergency
> colostomy that I hope can be reversed. Finished the radiation and the side
> effects are starting to become easier to live with. On the mend now. Very
> proud of DH who is not only taking care of me, he's taking great care of
> himself including meal prep. Endo and Cardio are thrilled with him.

Yuk - sympathy! Keep on healing! Well done to your DH - of course you
realise that those skills must be practiced at least a couple of times a
week even when you're well : )

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.5/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
100ug Thyroxine

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

>> Salmon: 52gm
>>> Banana Bread: 32gm
>>> Beet Salad: 25gm (brown sugar in a salad? Crikey!)

>> Alan, my DH (T2) is on the pump and he wouldn't be crazy enough to eat
>> those recipes.

> We've had more recipes like those posted here lately than appropriate
> diabetic ones.

Do you think the Beet Salad would work with the brown Sugar-Twin?? It
sounded so good, but I steer away from any sugars,rice, flour etc etc.
DH is an insulin dependent T2, whose numbers plummeted very nicely the
last 6 months by being very low-carb.

Gillian
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 21:04:06 GMT, Gill Murray
> wrote:

>Yup, That is true. It is a veggie we haven't tested with yet. Maybe a
>very *small* serving, along with some super low-carb dish would work.
>Maybe I will make up a third of the recipe, and try it more as a
>"pickle" rather than a regular side-serving. Jim has done so well, and I
>am proud of him; I never thought he would stick to such a rigorous
>routine. A pice of Wasa bread, with peanut butter is now a very special
>treat, instead of the junk he used to enjoy. Pistachios have worked well
>for snacking, because he has to remove each shell before putting the nut
>in his mouth!
>
>Gillian

Best to test it and see; I've found that a slice or two of
beetroot is OK as part of my garden salad.

On sugar substitutes in this type of recipe (salads, slaws
etc) I tried completely omitting sugar; within a couple of
meals I found the absence unnoticable.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1000mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: The Vatican
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

> Best to test it and see; I've found that a slice or two of
> beetroot is OK as part of my garden salad.
>
> On sugar substitutes in this type of recipe (salads, slaws
> etc) I tried completely omitting sugar; within a couple of
> meals I found the absence unnoticable.
>
> Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
> d&e, metformin 1000mg, ezetrol 10mg
> Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.

Will do. Personally, I just like it the way my Mum made it back in
England. Cold, with just vinegar!! preferably with a slice or two of
good cold roast lamb! Yumm!!

gillian
Now Florida, yuck!
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Gill Murray" > wrote in message
>>> Salmon: 52gm

>>> Alan, my DH (T2) is on the pump and he wouldn't be crazy enough to eat
>>> those recipes.

>> We've had more recipes like those posted here lately than appropriate
>> diabetic ones.
>>

> Do you think the Beet Salad would work with the brown Sugar-Twin?? It
> sounded so good, but I steer away from any sugars,rice, flour etc etc. DH
> is an insulin dependent T2, whose numbers plummeted very nicely the last 6
> months by being very low-carb.
>
> Gillian

I've had some success replacing brown sugar with Splenda and a small amount
of dark molasses (blackstrap).

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Gill Murray wrote:

> Do you think the Beet Salad would work with the brown Sugar-Twin?? It
> sounded so good, but I steer away from any sugars,rice, flour etc etc.
> DH is an insulin dependent T2, whose numbers plummeted very nicely the
> last 6 months by being very low-carb.
>
> Gillian

Gillian, it's hard to say. Each DH processes carbs a little differently
than others. If the recipe interests you, make it with the sugar
substitute and serve him a small portion. Have him check his PPs at the
intervals where his numbers will show up (again, different for all) If
it works, it works. He can always cover with a bolus if the numbers
creep up. The folks on orals don't have that luxury.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Pete Romfh wrote:

> I've had some success replacing brown sugar with Splenda and a small amount
> of dark molasses (blackstrap).

Hi Pete,

What's the carb count on say a tablespoon of that molasses? Would that
combo be lower in carbs than the Splenda brown sugar mixture?

We're heading up to Houston on the 12th. Have dr. visits 13th and 20th.
If you still want to show us Houston, I'm feeling a whole lot better
than when we were there last and I was being nuked.

Anyone have a quick tutorial on how to cook for Thanksgiving in a
microwave/convection oven?

The motorhome doesn't have an oven and I can't seem to get the hang of
the convection one. (yes, I read the book)

Janet

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder wrote:
> Pete Romfh wrote:
>
>> I've had some success replacing brown sugar with Splenda and a small
>> amount of dark molasses (blackstrap).

> Hi Pete,
>
> What's the carb count on say a tablespoon of that molasses? Would that
> combo be lower in carbs than the Splenda brown sugar mixture?
>
> We're heading up to Houston on the 12th. Have dr. visits 13th and 20th.
> If you still want to show us Houston, I'm feeling a whole lot better
> than when we were there last and I was being nuked.
>
> Anyone have a quick tutorial on how to cook for Thanksgiving in a
> microwave/convection oven?
>
> The motorhome doesn't have an oven and I can't seem to get the hang of
> the convection one. (yes, I read the book)
>
> Janet

Forward onto me, Janet. Still haven't got the hang of the covec/micro,
but thankfully this motorhome also has an oven. Have cooked many turkeys
in the RV oven LOL

gillian
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder wrote:
> Pete Romfh wrote:
>
>> I've had some success replacing brown sugar with Splenda and a small
>> amount of dark molasses (blackstrap).

> Hi Pete,
>
> What's the carb count on say a tablespoon of that molasses? Would that
> combo be lower in carbs than the Splenda brown sugar mixture?
>
> We're heading up to Houston on the 12th. Have dr. visits 13th and
> 20th. If you still want to show us Houston, I'm feeling a whole lot
> better than when we were there last and I was being nuked.
>
> Anyone have a quick tutorial on how to cook for Thanksgiving in a
> microwave/convection oven?
>
> The motorhome doesn't have an oven and I can't seem to get the hang of
> the convection one. (yes, I read the book)
>
> Janet

1 teaspoon of dark molasses is about 5g of carbs and 20 calories (according
to USDA)
I use that with about 1/2 cup of Splenda to get an equivalent flavor to 1/2
cup of brown sugar
It's also less expensive.

1 teaspoon of Splenda Brown is 4g of carbs and 20 calories (per splenda.com)
You need 12 teaspoons (1/4 cup) to equal 1/2 cup of brown sugar.

However, in baking there is often a need for some real sugar in the recipe
to feed yeast, or retain moisture so this substitution doesn't always work.
It's something I've had to experiment with.

We'd be delighted to give you a tour of Houston while you're here.
I'll contact you off-line to make arrangements.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Anyone have a quick tutorial on how to cook for Thanksgiving in a
> microwave/convection oven?

Well, I've been cooking with only one of those for a couple of months now -
I'm getting my kitchen refitted, and they won;t finish until after Christmas
:-(

I'm tending to let meats have a looooong resting time whilst I turbo-nuke
potatoes, etc.

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.5/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
100ug Thyroxine

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Gill Murray wrote:

> Forward onto me, Janet. Still haven't got the hang of the covec/micro,
> but thankfully this motorhome also has an oven. Have cooked many turkeys
> in the RV oven LOL
>
> gillian

We lived in our fifth wheels for 9 years and both had ovens. I remember
measuring the oven and taking the tape with me to the market then
measuring the turkeys in the case. People were giving me funny looks <g>

I do have an electric roaster and can do turkey in that, but I think
we'll be at a communal dinner where the turkies are provided and
everyone makes a side dish or desert. This motorhome only has a two
burner range top and the micro/convection. It's a rather high-end
model RV but I think the manufacturer thinks that the people who buy
their brand eat out all of the time.

This email address works, please send any tips and recipes for RV
cooking in a micro/convection there.

Thanks and hugs,
Janet

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Susan wrote:

> Could you handle a protein shake made with unflavored whey peptide or
> egg white protein powder, whirred with frozen fruit of your choice, some
> nut oil, yogurt, milk or ice cream? Peanut butter/frozen banana shakes
> are fabulous, speaking from fond memory.

Everyone asks that. I can't handle anything hot or cold. Only room temp.
I have to watch fruit because anything acid hurts my mouth which still
has radiation sores. I have never been able to eat yogurt or sour cream.
The cultures give me terrible heartburn. I have my high protein Boost.
I have a loosely scrambled egg with a little milk in it and melted swiss
cheese for breakfast. I can taste egg and cheese. I eat fish every day.
I get plenty of protein.

I wish I could eat ice cream or malted milks, but the cold hurts.

>> I still can't taste sweet, but I *can* taste chocolate, just not
>> the sweet part.

> This is perfect! Dark chocolate is the BEST!! ;-)

It still needs a bit of sweet. It tastes like eating baking chocolate
without the sweet.

> Ooh, grandbabies! I've got a long wait, if they ever come, but I'm
> still loaded up with books and crayons, just in case!

This little darling was adopted from Guatamala. We were in Houston when
they were bringing her home and they had to change planes there to get
to New Jersey. They had an hour between flights so we got to meet her
and play with her. The best day I had in Houston!!

Just to show you how horrible everything was, while we were in Houston
our little dog passed away. She was with us in the RV and very happy to
be there. She had a wonderful walk with her daddy, met other doggies and
people friends and the next morning she was gone. I'm still crying
almost every day for her. She was 9 and a half.

> Glad it's starting to look up.
> I'm betting you'll end up reversing the colostomy, too, once some more
> healing takes place. Just make sure DH knows there's NO TURNING BACK
> now that you know what he can do! ;-D

I had to call the nurse at the surgeon's office today. She confirmed
that 2 months is the minumum waiting time for the reversal. I'm past
that. She knows I'd like it done while we are up ther.

DH is sulking a bit because I fired him from part of his nursing job. I
just had to take some control of my own care. He still insists on laying
out my night time meds and making sure I eat because I have no appetite
and forget to eat.