Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Sauerkraut any recipes

Correct if I am wrong but I thing eating cabbage should not rise my blood
sugar much?
I would like to experiment with making my own sauerkraut. Does someone have
any recipe.

TIA

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
> wrote:

> Correct if I am wrong but I thing eating cabbage should not rise my blood
> sugar much?

Only your meter knows for sure, but generally I've found that the
cabbage family (cabbage, brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower) are
all very kind to my BG.

> I would like to experiment with making my own sauerkraut. Does someone have
> any recipe.
>
> TIA

Sorry. But I suspect that sauerkraut might be the ideal food for type
2s. Vinegar can have a salutary effect on BG, and along*with cabbage
not raising it much, maybe one could have a small boiled potato with it?

Just a thought, not a recommendation.

Priscilla
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

> wrote in message
> Correct if I am wrong but I thing eating cabbage should not rise my blood
> sugar much?
> I would like to experiment with making my own sauerkraut. Does someone
> have any recipe.

My family recipe has a ton of sugar, so I haven't tried it - if you find a
diabetic-friendly recipe, I'd like to know!

You could try kimchee?

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.5/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
100ug Thyroxine

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

> Correct if I am wrong but I thing eating cabbage should not rise my blood
> sugar much?
> I would like to experiment with making my own sauerkraut. Does someone have
> any recipe.
>
> TIA

You need crocks for this one.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Sauerkraut

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Canning Recipes

15 pounds cabbage
11 teaspoons pickling salt for each 10 quarts cabbage

Select firm, green cabbage. Let stand at room temperature for a day.
Wash, quarter and remove cores. Cabbages should be dry before grating
for sauerkraut. Shred or cut about the thickness of a dime.
Thoroughly mix the pickling salt with each 10 quarts of shredded
cabbage. As each batch is salted, get ready four-quart to six-quart
crocks. Pack the cabbage firmly, but not tightly, into the crocks,
pressing down with a wooden spoon or paddle.
Lay a clean cloth over the cabbage with a plate on top that fits just
inside the crock. It is important that the cabbage is covered with a
tight-fitting plate; it may spoil otherwise. Weight with a stone or a
gallon jar filled with water. The weight should be heavy enough so that
the liquid just reaches the bottom of the cover. To vary the weight, use
heavier or lighter stones or fill or empty the jar as needed as
fermentation increases.
allow cabbage to ferment at room temperature for nine to fourteen days.
Change and wash the cloth, adjust the weight, and skim off the scum
daily. Fermentation has ended when bubbles stop rising to the surface.
Taste at the end of a week and can when the taste suits you.
To can your kraut, use hot, scalded jars. Bring kraut to a boil with
three quarts water. Pack tightly into jars, filling spaces with liquid.
Process in a boiling-water bath for 15 minutes.

Vicki

Invitation to new Food, Recipes, Information, historic recipes,Vintage Recipes, etc. [email protected][_2_] General Cooking 0 09-12-2008 05:04 PM
[Fwd: [FOODWINE] Fwd: Sauerkraut Recipes] Bob Pastorio Preserving 0 19-11-2004 07:36 PM
sauerkraut Dawn Preserving 10 14-09-2004 04:36 PM
Sauerkraut George Shirley Preserving 9 16-03-2004 09:56 AM
Sauerkraut Curley Preserving 0 14-03-2004 03:02 PM