Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Any Coles slaw recipe

Do we have any recipe for making cole slaw.
How can bulk Coles slaw be stored or freeze?
TIA

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

> wrote in message
> Do we have any recipe for making cole slaw.
> How can bulk Coles slaw be stored or freeze?

I chop up equal quantities of carrot and cabbage, bind with mayonnaise and
yoghurt, season, and add in whatever springs to mind - maybe scallions, or a
few raisins or apples, a few walnuts... a cabbage's worth lasts for about a
week in the fridge, which is how long it takes Elder Daughter and I to eat
it. It gets better with sitting, so I assume it would last longer...

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.3/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
No Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Thanks for your recipe.
How to you do your chopping. Do you only use a knife or do you have
something else for chopping?

"Nicky" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
>> Do we have any recipe for making cole slaw.
>> How can bulk Coles slaw be stored or freeze?

> I chop up equal quantities of carrot and cabbage, bind with mayonnaise and
> yoghurt, season, and add in whatever springs to mind - maybe scallions, or
> a few raisins or apples, a few walnuts... a cabbage's worth lasts for
> about a week in the fridge, which is how long it takes Elder Daughter and
> I to eat it. It gets better with sitting, so I assume it would last
> longer...
>
> Nicky.
>
> --
> A1c 10.5/5.3/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
> No Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine
> 95/72/72Kg

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 19:57:45 +0100, "Nicky"
> wrote:

> wrote in message
>> Do we have any recipe for making cole slaw.
>> How can bulk Coles slaw be stored or freeze?

>I chop up equal quantities of carrot and cabbage, bind with mayonnaise and
>yoghurt, season, and add in whatever springs to mind - maybe scallions, or a
>few raisins or apples, a few walnuts... a cabbage's worth lasts for about a
>week in the fridge, which is how long it takes Elder Daughter and I to eat
>it. It gets better with sitting, so I assume it would last longer...
>
>Nicky.

Mine is very similar. My proportions are more like 2:1
cabbage to carrot. I use an old-fashioned egg/oil mayonnaise
(NOT a low-fat mayo) and mix it with an equal quantity of
plain unsweetened yoghurt, just enough to bind it without
getting slushy and add a splash of ordinary white vinegar.
Occasionally I'll add some finely chopped mint or other
herbs from the garden.

Similarly, I add some finely chopped red onion,
capsicum(bell pepper), and a little of whatever's cluttering
the fridge at the time. Often I add a touch of chopped
chili, but just a touch. The extras mix in better if added
to the mayo/yoghurt mix before incorporating with the
shredded veges.

It won't freeze without spoiling, but will keep quite a
while in a sealed container in the fridge.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1000mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 20:12:39 GMT, >
wrote:

>Thanks for your recipe.
>How to you do your chopping. Do you only use a knife or do you have
>something else for chopping?

I use a knife for the cabbage and a rotary hand grater to
shred the carrot.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1000mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

> wrote in message
> Do we have any recipe for making cole slaw.
> How can bulk Coles slaw be stored or freeze?

This is the recipe I use:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/angies-...aw/detail.aspx

I sub in Splenda for some of the sugar. I find it does need some sugar. If
I use all Splenda it has a bitter taste. This will keep for two weeks in
the fridge. You can't freeze it. The veggies would not be crisp if you
did.

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

If you like KFC Cole Slaw...

This recipe will give you that flavor with none of the sugar and carbs.

KFC Cole Slaw

8 cups finely chopped cabbage (about 1 head) or start with those
pre-shredded bags.
1/4 cup shredded carrot (1 medium carrot)
2 tablespoons minced onion
1/3 cup granulated Splenda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice

1. Be sure cabbage and carrots are chopped up into very fine pieces
(about the size of rice). I use my food processor and pulse until it
looks right.

2. Combine the splenda, salt, pepper, milk, mayonnaise, buttermilk,
vinegar, and lemon juice in a large bowl and beat until smooth.

3. Add the cabbage, carrots, and onion, and mix well.

4. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.

Serves 10-12

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I use this recipe for cole slaw dressing:

1/2 C mayonnaise
1/4 C red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp celery seed
1 tsp Dijon mustard (yellow, if I don't have Dijon on hand)
Splenda to taste depending on how sweet you like your cole slaw

This is for about 3 C shredded cabbage, 1 grated carrot, & 1/2 of a finely
chopped red onion.

My grandkids love this recipe. If I don't make it for awhile, they'll ask
for it.

--
Donna in Idaho
Reply to daawra3553 at yahoo dot com

> wrote in message
> Do we have any recipe for making cole slaw.
> How can bulk Coles slaw be stored or freeze?
> TIA

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

> wrote in message
> Thanks for your recipe.
> How to you do your chopping. Do you only use a knife or do you have
> something else for chopping?

A knife for the cabbage; maybe a food processor for the carrot if I'm doing
it in industrial quantities.

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.3/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
No Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine
95/72/72Kg

Experienced Member

There are many types of cole slaw you can make, but if traditional creamy supermarket style is your goal, it's just grated cabbage, carrots (sometimes onions) and mayo. When you combine mayo with water it develops a milky quality so many people mistakenly believe there's dairy in cole slaw. There isn't. Supermarkets don't add vinegar either. At least not to the creamy style.

Definitely don't freeze. Cole slaw lasts for at least a week, but as it ages, the salt in the mayo extracts more water from the cabbage/veggies causing it to get watery. Ideally, you want to make it the day before you're planning on eating it. If you want to do some prep work in advance, grate everything but don't add the mayo until a day or so until you plan on using it.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to share their favourite Cole slaw
recipe.
I appreciate the information and will start cutting and shredding.

Denis