Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Splenda & sugar

Just recently subscribed to a.f.d. and really enjoy the recipes that are
posted here. I'm not diabetic, my husband is and since I'm the one that
does the cooking around here . . . .

I noticed in one recipe that someone said that for 1 C of sugar she
substituted 1/3 C of sugar & 2/3 C of Splenda. If that works, seems to me
that would be cheaper than buying the Splenda/sugar blend.

Is this a viable option for most baking recipes? If so, I'll sure quit
buying the Splenda sugar blend.
--
Donna
Reply to daawra3553 at yahoo dot com

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Donna in Idaho wrote:
> Just recently subscribed to a.f.d. and really enjoy the
> recipes that are
> posted here. I'm not diabetic, my husband is and since
> I'm the one that
> does the cooking around here . . . .
>
> I noticed in one recipe that someone said that for 1 C of
> sugar she
> substituted 1/3 C of sugar & 2/3 C of Splenda. If that
> works, seems to me
> that would be cheaper than buying the Splenda/sugar blend.
>
> Is this a viable option for most baking recipes? If so,
> I'll sure quit
> buying the Splenda sugar blend.

Splenda sugar blend is 50-50 rather than 33-66 but your concept is sound.
I use a mixture of the two when I want to lighten something but still need
some of sugar's unique properties (caramelization, feeding yeast, etc.)

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Donna in Idaho" > wrote in message
> Just recently subscribed to a.f.d. and really enjoy the recipes that are
> posted here. I'm not diabetic, my husband is and since I'm the one that
> does the cooking around here . . . .
>
> I noticed in one recipe that someone said that for 1 C of sugar she
> substituted 1/3 C of sugar & 2/3 C of Splenda. If that works, seems to me
> that would be cheaper than buying the Splenda/sugar blend.
>
> Is this a viable option for most baking recipes? If so, I'll sure quit
> buying the Splenda sugar blend.

You could make your own. I don't use much Splenda or sugar either one. But
if I am using both in a recipe I will do my own. I do not mix them
together. I usually start with the Splenda then add enough sugar until I
get the taste right.

--
See my webpage:

Experienced Member

You could do make your own... or you could avoid sugar altogether and combine splenda with alternative sweeteners that provide sugary texture.

Mimicing sugar with alternative sweeteners gets a little tricky, but it's no where near as difficult as mimicing flour (or rice, or potatoes) with carb free ingredients. I'd much rather spend my carb allotment on starches rather than sugars.

With the right combination of sweeteners, there's no reason to ever buy sugar again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna in Idaho