Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Ovens

Hello everyone

Apologies to anyone who's already seen this on rec.food.cooking, but one of
the suggestions there was to post on this NG too.

I need to replace my oven, which is a built-in electrical double oven. To
avoid rebuilding the kitchen, I intended to replace it with another built-in
electrical double oven.

Does anyone have any handy hints and tips on choosing an oven? I've noticed
that prices vary enormously: is an oven that costs £1500 really 3 times
better than one that costs £500, and if so, how? I'm struggling to imagine
how it could be. I love cooking and don't mind spending money on the right
kit, but I think I'd need to be convinced that I was getting something
pretty special if I'm going to spend a thousand quid more than I need to.
What sort of features should I look for? Any brands to recommend or avoid?

Many thanks

Adam

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Adam wrote:

> I need to replace my oven, which is a built-in electrical double oven. To
> avoid rebuilding the kitchen, I intended to replace it with another built-in
> electrical double oven.
>

> Does anyone have any handy hints and tips on choosing an oven? I've noticed
> that prices vary enormously: is an oven that costs £1500 really 3 times
> better than one that costs £500, and if so, how? I'm struggling to imagine
> how it could be. I love cooking and don't mind spending money on the right
> kit, but I think I'd need to be convinced that I was getting something
> pretty special if I'm going to spend a thousand quid more than I need to.
> What sort of features should I look for? Any brands to recommend or avoid?

You may want to ask your question over at uk.food+drink.misc - they're
more UK-oriented than this group.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

I often asked myself the same thing - how can the same thing vary so much
in price. We moved about a year ago and the kitchen had Miele appliances.
I'd never considered them before when renovating because they are so much
more expensive than other appliances. The dishwasher is very ordinary and
in fact does a crap job unless it is stacked with precision. The oven
however is sensational - it heats up really quickly and seems to retain its
heat much better. The pizzas that we make are really much better and much
crisper than what we used to make with the old oven. It's made me realise
that maybe you do get what you pay for. I'd definitely pay extra for a
Miele oven in future.

"Adam" > wrote in message
> Hello everyone
>
> Apologies to anyone who's already seen this on rec.food.cooking, but one
> of the suggestions there was to post on this NG too.
>
> I need to replace my oven, which is a built-in electrical double oven. To
> avoid rebuilding the kitchen, I intended to replace it with another
> built-in
> electrical double oven.
>

> Does anyone have any handy hints and tips on choosing an oven? I've
> noticed
> that prices vary enormously: is an oven that costs £1500 really 3 times
> better than one that costs £500, and if so, how? I'm struggling to imagine
> how it could be. I love cooking and don't mind spending money on the right
> kit, but I think I'd need to be convinced that I was getting something
> pretty special if I'm going to spend a thousand quid more than I need to.
> What sort of features should I look for? Any brands to recommend or avoid?
>

> Many thanks
>

> Adam

Are all French ovens Dutch ovens? Karen[_3_] General Cooking 13 25-03-2007 04:06 PM
Ovens Adam General Cooking 10 16-08-2006 02:18 AM
ovens . Baking 7 19-07-2005 03:03 PM
Convection Ovens / Fan Ovens??? Wayne Boatwright Cooking Equipment 8 03-02-2005 01:26 PM
Electric ovens take longer than gas ovens Nancree General Cooking 4 25-12-2003 02:12 PM