Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Convection microwave vs reg microwave and toaster oven?

I will be a college student soon

That means moving furnishings back forth between home
and apartment at school

I will be an adult college student so living alone in
apartment... NOT in dorm

Should I shun buying a bigger heaver more expensive
combo convection microwave over say a cheap reg
microwave and toaster oven?

Will the two cheaper units (toaster oven, reg
microwave)..... do everything a combo oven will do?

You see the combo ovens are bulkier and heavier as
well...so don't want to have to haul that around if
possible

Advice?
Posted to rec.food.equipment

wrote:
> I will be a college student soon
>
> That means moving furnishings back forth between home
> and apartment at school
>
> I will be an adult college student so living alone in
> apartment... NOT in dorm
>
> Should I shun buying a bigger heaver more expensive
> combo convection microwave over say a cheap reg
> microwave and toaster oven?
>
> Will the two cheaper units (toaster oven, reg
> microwave)..... do everything a combo oven will do?
>
> You see the combo ovens are bulkier and heavier as
> well...so don't want to have to haul that around if
> possible
>
> Advice?

If it were me, I'd go with the micro/convec. We have a GE
Profile combo unit, albiet a built-in over range model.

No, the micro and toaster oven can't do everything that a
micro/convec can but a micro/convec can do all of what the
other two can and more. BUT, maybe not as fast in the case
of the toaster oven.

I'd probably go with a micro/convec *and* a toaster oven.

Micro/convec can obviously do normal micro functions
It can do regular oven functions
It can do both at the same time
A lot of the combos have pre-programed "sensor cook" type
functions. Ours has them and I just put chicken or whatever
in and hit the "sensor cook chicken" button and it handles
figuring out how long to cook it, powerlevels, etc. It does
a pretty good job at it. The chicken comes out done and the
skin is crispy. As for roasts, ours has a temp prob so I
use that for them and take them to -5 or -10dF of the final
required internal temp and then let them rest. Again -
decent browning.

Advantage: You can do roasts, chicken, turkey, etc in the
micro/convec in probably 50-55% of the standard oven time
BUT you still get browning which definately improves the
taste as well as the looks.

If you have the time and want to use it as a "normal" oven
without any microwave, you can. Cassoroles, lasagna, mac &
cheese, yada yada yada...

BUT, the oven function of a micro/convec is not as fast as a
toaster oven for things like warming pizza, doing bagles,
etc, so that's why I'd opt to have a toaster oven as well if
possible.

Just my 2 cents...
--
Steve
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Steve Calvin > wrote:

>BUT, the oven function of a micro/convec is not as fast as a
>toaster oven for things like warming pizza, doing bagles,
>etc, so that's why I'd opt to have a toaster oven as well if
>possible.

Great info!

Thanks Steve!

Sounds like common toaster oven is pretty handy to have
in the house?
Posted to rec.food.equipment

wrote:

> I will be a college student soon
>
> That means moving furnishings back forth between home
> and apartment at school
>
> I will be an adult college student so living alone in
> apartment... NOT in dorm
>
> Should I shun buying a bigger heaver more expensive
> combo convection microwave over say a cheap reg
> microwave and toaster oven?
>
> Will the two cheaper units (toaster oven, reg
> microwave)..... do everything a combo oven will do?
>
> You see the combo ovens are bulkier and heavier as
> well...so don't want to have to haul that around if
> possible
>
> Advice?

I've owned exactly two micro/convection ovens since 1981. One finally
bit the dust and I immediately bought another just like it. I wouldn't
be without mine, much more versatile than a plain microwave and more
efficient than a toaster oven.

The cook book that came with mine has many interesting things you can do
plus they cook with both microwave and convection on many things. If
you're going to be cooking in it you can do more recipes than you can
with either a microwave or a toaster oven. If you just want to make
instant coffee, instant soup, reheat cold pizza, and things like that
just get a microwave. If you want to cook full meals you can do that
with the combo micro/convection with ease.

As an aside, both of mine have been Sharp carrousel units and I've been
very pleased with them. They aren't cheap but they are sturdy and do a
good job.

George

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Steve Calvin > wrote:

>Advantage: You can do roasts, chicken, turkey, etc in the
>micro/convec in probably 50-55% of the standard oven time
>BUT you still get browning which definately improves the
>taste as well as the looks.

You see..the ting is that a combo oven is bulkier and
heavier than standard microwave oven. So I'm thinking
maybe easier to move tow smaller lighter un its (
microwave and toaster oven)... than combo unit
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Steve Calvin > wrote:

>I like to cook things and the convection would be
>indispensable for that.

Such as what?

Can you give me some examples?

It might help my decision if u can
Posted to rec.food.equipment

wrote:
> Steve Calvin > wrote:
>

>>I like to cook things and the convection would be
>>indispensable for that.

> Such as what?
>
> Can you give me some examples?
>
> It might help my decision if u can

Reposting original post:

[...]

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Steve Calvin > wrote:

>I'd probably go with a micro/convec *and* a toaster oven.

You know after some more thought abt this.... I think I
agree with you above

Would you use the toaster oven for making toast as well
and get rid of the stand alone toaster unit tho?