Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Sassafras Baking Stone

Hi,

Just got one of these and I'm a bit confused. The instructions say "you
will find that by lightly oiling the surface of the Superstone Baking
Stone and sprinkling it with a little cornmeal, food will not stick as
readily to the stone, making clean-up a snap."
So far, so good, but I'm not quite sure I'm happy with the 'stick as
readily'.

But then I look at the instructions for baking cookies -- "Since you
should not grease your Superstone Baking Stone, only cookies with butter
or shortening should be made on it."

Don't grease it, oil it, what are they saying I can't do? Is it an
American/English thing I'm missing?

Thanks

Doug

--
Doug Weller Moderator, sci.archaeology.moderated
Director and Moderator The Hall of Ma'at http://www.thehallofmaat.com

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Doug Weller wrote:
> The instructions say "you
> will find that by lightly oiling the surface of the Superstone Baking
> Stone and sprinkling it with a little cornmeal, food will not stick as
> readily to the stone, making clean-up a snap."

Put nothing on it for conditioning purposes. It will smoke you out of
the house.

It's good for bread and pizza. You can slide those doughs onto a
preheated stone from a board, the bottom of a sheet pan, or use
parchment paper. Forget about cookies unless you are simply using the
stone to regulate the oven, ie: it is on the bottom rack and the
cookies are on another. Stone will need about 30-35 minutes to preheat.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

I agreee with the last post except the forget the cookies part. The
Sassafras stone is one of the only stones that is capable of doing
cookies and doing them well. As far as the oil thing is concerned,
leave it off.

Chef Dom,
www.DominicsKitchenStore.com