Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Best Burr Coffee Grinder

I'm looking for the best burr grinder at a low price.
I have recently gone through two Cuisinart grinders. They look great;
they are also cheap[$29 at Costco] and prone to self destruction. I have a
Capresso that is cheaply made, leaked coffee, and self destructed when the
bowel became stuck permanently. I would like a burr grinder, not a whirring
grinder. Conical is better. I don't want to spend more than $100. I don't
make expresso, just the plain old Mellita drop.
Thanks for your help,
Kent

Posted to rec.food.equipment

http://www.dominicskitchenstore.com/...ARTMENT_ID=180

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On 26 Mar 2006 06:12:22 -0800, "Chef Dom"
> wrote:

>http://www.dominicskitchenstore.com/...ARTMENT_ID=180

Just in case anyone is interested.
From: "Chef Dom" >
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 04:33:45 -0800, "Kent" > wrote:

>I'm looking for the best burr grinder at a low price.
>I have recently gone through two Cuisinart grinders. They look great;
>they are also cheap[$29 at Costco] and prone to self destruction. I have a
>Capresso that is cheaply made, leaked coffee, and self destructed when the
>bowel became stuck permanently. I would like a burr grinder, not a whirring
>grinder. Conical is better. I don't want to spend more than $100. I don't
>make expresso, just the plain old Mellita drop.
>Thanks for your help,
>Kent

Google groups for grinders at alt.coffee and also take a look here at
the link below, which offers their own reviews plus consumer reviews.:

http://www.coffeegeek.com/

and he

http://www.wholelattelove.com/

I have a Capresso Solis Maestro Plus and despise how it spits coffee
grounds all over the place. It has worked quite well grinding, though,
otherwise I would have tossed its messy butt out of a high window. As
I recall, that was about $150. It is about 2 years old.

Your budget makes it difficult to get one of the better grinders, but
you might be able to find one used on eBay once you decide on a brand
& model.

I picked up a cheap DeLonghi burr grinder somewhere along the line
before the Capresso and used it for quite awhile with no more
complaints than I have about the Capresso. It was a lot cheaper & I
think it came from Costco, too. I am not as fanatical as they can get
over on alt.coffee and am usually using a Chemex or a press. I am more
easy going about my espresso, too.

I am not a Cuisinart appliance fan at all, having similar experiences
as your with several different items.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.equipment

wrote:

>http://www.dominicskitchenstore.com/...ARTMENT_ID=180

Hey Chef Dumb:

Kindly read the group charter. You've been doing this for far too long now.

No one is fooled by your thinly disguised and highly inappropriate ads for your
business (or by the high prices therein). There's nothing wrong with your
sometimes informative contributions to the group, but any link to your
commercial Web site should appear only following your name or in your .sig.

Otherwise, your posts belong in marketplace newsgroups.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Peter A wrote:
> In article >,
> says...
> > I'm looking for the best burr grinder at a low price.

> > <snip>

> > Thanks for your help,
> > Kent
> >

> I have a Braun that has been going strong for 7-8 years grinding 1-3
> cups a day. I don't recall the cost but under $100 I am sure.
>

> --
> Peter Aitken
> Visit my recipe and kitchen myths pages at
www.pgacon.com/cooking.htm

Brauns (at least the older ones, IMHO) are known for their longevity.
My aged white one is 30 years old. It is a bit discolored, the cup &
bean holder are a bit etched & the numbers on the dial can barely be
read, but it functions as it did when I first bought it. I believe the
cost was a whopping $40 or so (big bucks for a poor college student).
It still grinds consistently & has been used for espresso thru perc-ed
(on the campfire) over the years.
Jan

Posted to rec.food.equipment

This will sound off the wall but I have a decent burr grinder so I can
do the comparison... A good burr will start at over $200. They are
usually the most expensive pieces of equipment a coffee geek will own.

If you have a KA stand mixer, look into the grain mill (ebay). It does
a wonderful job with coffee beans. You can crack them for press or
powder them for espresso or find your sweet spot in between. Yes, KA
says the mill is not for oily beans... but coffee works well. Fits your
budget and it will also mill flour, spice seeds and pepper.