Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Kenmore induction cooktop (30 inch)

Don Wiss > wrote:
>A friend talked with one of the chefs. The chef has had culinary training.
>He likes gas better. He said that induction has slow recovery after you've
>added cold food to boiling water. He recommended against having an
>induction stove top in one's home.

Of course gas is better! Just look at how much heat you can get
out of a gas stove, versus a third of a 50-amp, 240-volt circuit
with 100% heating efficiency. Realistically, you're not going to
match the heat from burning natural gas. Heck, our induction burners
are 1200 watts (10 amps at 120 volts).

On the other hand:
(a) if you don't have gas, induction's a pretty close second.
(b) in most places, electricity is a lot cheaper than gas
(c) induction is something like twice as efficient per watt at
getting heat to your food as normal coils (et al)
(d) induction burners generally have temperature controls
(e) most single-burner induction units have timers
(f) induction really is generally safer

Our new house has gas, and we love it, but we still use one induction
burner for a few things: steaming foods on low, simmering soups,
and pressure-cooking. The timer function makes it possible to set
something up to cook, then leave the house.

Donald
Posted to rec.food.equipment

I am also going to check with cooks at a local 4-star restaurant. They have
2 of the Diva units there.

"Donald Tsang" > wrote in message
> Don Wiss > wrote:
>>A friend talked with one of the chefs. The chef has had culinary training.
>>He likes gas better. He said that induction has slow recovery after you've
>>added cold food to boiling water. He recommended against having an
>>induction stove top in one's home.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
says...
> Don Wiss > wrote:
> >A friend talked with one of the chefs. The chef has had culinary training.
> >He likes gas better. He said that induction has slow recovery after you've
> >added cold food to boiling water. He recommended against having an
> >induction stove top in one's home.

> Of course gas is better! Just look at how much heat you can get
> out of a gas stove, versus a third of a 50-amp, 240-volt circuit
> with 100% heating efficiency. Realistically, you're not going to
> match the heat from burning natural gas. Heck, our induction burners
> are 1200 watts (10 amps at 120 volts).
>
> On the other hand:
> (a) if you don't have gas, induction's a pretty close second.
> (b) in most places, electricity is a lot cheaper than gas
> (c) induction is something like twice as efficient per watt at
> getting heat to your food as normal coils (et al)
> (d) induction burners generally have temperature controls
> (e) most single-burner induction units have timers
> (f) induction really is generally safer
>
> Our new house has gas, and we love it, but we still use one induction
> burner for a few things: steaming foods on low, simmering soups,
> and pressure-cooking. The timer function makes it possible to set
> something up to cook, then leave the house.
>
> Donald

THe other thing I found an induction burner good for is Sugar work ..
dial in the temperature and it stays there ... (I confirm it with a
probe thermometer but it works for me ... easier than a gas burner....

--
Please use the following addy to reply personally

newsgroupreply at chez dash vous dot net
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Donald Tsang wrote:
> Don Wiss > wrote:
>
>>A friend talked with one of the chefs. The chef has had culinary training.
>>He likes gas better. He said that induction has slow recovery after you've
>>added cold food to boiling water. He recommended against having an
>>induction stove top in one's home.

> Of course gas is better! Just look at how much heat you can get
> out of a gas stove, versus a third of a 50-amp, 240-volt circuit
> with 100% heating efficiency. Realistically, you're not going to
> match the heat from burning natural gas. Heck, our induction burners
> are 1200 watts (10 amps at 120 volts).
>
> On the other hand:
> (a) if you don't have gas, induction's a pretty close second.
> (b) in most places, electricity is a lot cheaper than gas
> (c) induction is something like twice as efficient per watt at
> getting heat to your food as normal coils (et al)
> (d) induction burners generally have temperature controls
> (e) most single-burner induction units have timers
> (f) induction really is generally safer
>
> Our new house has gas, and we love it, but we still use one induction
> burner for a few things: steaming foods on low, simmering soups,
> and pressure-cooking. The timer function makes it possible to set
> something up to cook, then leave the house.
>
> Donald

Horse Hockey. CR tests have shown that home gas ranges are SLOWER at
heating than electric. The advantage of gas is reaction speed and
ability to see heat level by looking at flame.

Restaurant stoves with high pressure gas lines are a different matter.

--
Del Cecchi
"This post is my own and doesn’t necessarily represent IBM’s positions,