Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default French Fry Cutter

Does anyone have experience with French fry cutters?

I've tried a few of the consumer ones, even the "heavy duty" ones, but
the potatoes just seem too hard. The handle flexes, the potatoes get
cut about 1/2", then I bring the piece of junk back to the store.

The Chef's Catalog has one, but it just looks like a marginally better
version of the department store type.

Restaurant supply places have some for $160-$200, I haven't got a chance
to look at them yet. I've found several on line in the same price range
(or higher). A promising one is at Cabelas www.Cabelas.com item #
IG-513865. It's $100.

Has anyone else gone through this process?

Pete
pstryjew at att dot net
Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article > ,
says...
> Does anyone have experience with French fry cutters?
>
> I've tried a few of the consumer ones, even the "heavy duty" ones, but
> the potatoes just seem too hard. The handle flexes, the potatoes get
> cut about 1/2", then I bring the piece of junk back to the store.
>
> The Chef's Catalog has one, but it just looks like a marginally better
> version of the department store type.
>
> Restaurant supply places have some for $160-$200, I haven't got a chance
> to look at them yet. I've found several on line in the same price range
> (or higher). A promising one is at Cabelas
www.Cabelas.com item #
> IG-513865. It's $100.
>
> Has anyone else gone through this process?
>
> Pete
> pstryjew at att dot net

Is there any reason why you need an industrial style cutter. Do you make
vast quantities of fries? If not, what about using a knife.
--
Jerry Bank
Trenton, New Jersey
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Jerry Bank wrote:
> In article > ,
> says...
>> Does anyone have experience with French fry cutters?
>>
>> I've tried a few of the consumer ones, even the "heavy duty" ones, but
>> the potatoes just seem too hard. The handle flexes, the potatoes get
>> cut about 1/2", then I bring the piece of junk back to the store.
>>
>> The Chef's Catalog has one, but it just looks like a marginally better
>> version of the department store type.
>>
>> Restaurant supply places have some for $160-$200, I haven't got a chance
>> to look at them yet. I've found several on line in the same price range
>> (or higher). A promising one is at Cabelas
www.Cabelas.com item #
>> IG-513865. It's $100.
>>
>> Has anyone else gone through this process?
>>
>> Pete
>> pstryjew at att dot net
>>

> Is there any reason why you need an industrial style cutter. Do you make
> vast quantities of fries? If not, what about using a knife.

I agree, or use a mandolin, available for about $35 in a consumer model,
to make even slices and either use the mandolin's Julienne cutter or a
chef's knife to make the individual cuts.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Gualtier Malde (Chuck) wrote:
> Jerry Bank wrote:
>
>> In article > ,
>> says...
>>
>>> Does anyone have experience with French fry cutters?
>>>
>>> I've tried a few of the consumer ones, even the "heavy duty" ones,
>>> but the potatoes just seem too hard. The handle flexes, the potatoes
>>> get cut about 1/2", then I bring the piece of junk back to the store.
>>>
>>> The Chef's Catalog has one, but it just looks like a marginally
>>> better version of the department store type.
>>>
>>> Restaurant supply places have some for $160-$200, I haven't got a
>>> chance to look at them yet. I've found several on line in the same
>>> price range (or higher). A promising one is at Cabelas

www.Cabelas.com item # IG-513865. It's $100.

>>> Has anyone else gone through this process?
>>>
>>> Pete
>>> pstryjew at att dot net
>>>

>> Is there any reason why you need an industrial style cutter. Do you
>> make vast quantities of fries? If not, what about using a knife.

> I agree, or use a mandolin, available for about $35 in a consumer model,
> to make even slices and either use the mandolin's Julienne cutter or a
> chef's knife to make the individual cuts.

We currently use a knife, however while I'm skilled with the knife, my
lovely wife is not. Also, it takes some (okay a little) effort to get
uniform sizes of the frys, so that they cook evenly.

My parents have a "quality" mandolin, but I've never really liked them.
Also, there is a bit of prep work involved, before you're ready to slice.

The way I envision the cutter. Mount to a board, place on counter, wash
nice large potato, place on fry cutter, one pull/push, ... fries.

As far as being "industrial", the consumer ones are pathetic, so that's
why I'm looking for a nicer one. The consumer ones I've tried could
barely cut the potato that was peeled. And yes, I did have the cutting
blades positioned the correct way.

Thanks for the comments.

Pete

Posted to rec.food.equipment

I can't recommend a brand, but you may find a few to choose from at a
restaurant supply house. A few such businesses feature used equipment,
which might be a way for you to get a commercial cutter at a reasonable
price.

-unk

----- On Tues, Feb 28 2006 8:10 am, Stryjewski wrote:

Does anyone have experience with French fry cutters?

I've tried a few of the consumer ones, even the "heavy duty" ones, but
the potatoes just seem too hard. The handle flexes, the potatoes get
cut about 1/2", then I bring the piece of junk back to the store.

The Chef's Catalog has one, but it just looks like a marginally better
version of the department store type.

Restaurant supply places have some for $160-$200, I haven't got a
chance
to look at them yet. I've found several on line in the same price
range
(or higher). A promising one is at Cabelas www.Cabelas.com item #
IG-513865. It's $100.

Has anyone else gone through this process?

Pete
pstryjew at att dot net

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 19:31:46 GMT, Stryjewski > wrote:

>As far as being "industrial", the consumer ones are pathetic, so that's
>why I'm looking for a nicer one. The consumer ones I've tried could
>barely cut the potato that was peeled. And yes, I did have the cutting
>blades positioned the correct way.

We've had the "pathetic consumer model" (with suction cup mounting to the
countertop) for about ten years, and it works just fine. Even my delicate flower
of a wife can make it work with large Idaho potatoes. The only thing I would
like is a blade insert for even smaller cross-section fries, like McDo or real
Belgian pommes frites.

>The way I envision the cutter. Mount to a board, place on counter, wash
>nice large potato, place on fry cutter, one pull/push, ... fries.

That's pretty much it. Unless you've got a physical handicap, it's not very
difficult.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.equipment

pltrgyst wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 19:31:46 GMT, Stryjewski > wrote:
>

>>As far as being "industrial", the consumer ones are pathetic, so that's
>>why I'm looking for a nicer one. The consumer ones I've tried could
>>barely cut the potato that was peeled. And yes, I did have the cutting
>>blades positioned the correct way.

> We've had the "pathetic consumer model" (with suction cup mounting to the
> countertop) for about ten years, and it works just fine. Even my delicate flower
> of a wife can make it work with large Idaho potatoes. The only thing I would
> like is a blade insert for even smaller cross-section fries, like McDo or real
> Belgian pommes frites.

Well, how about the make/model information? All the ones I've used the
handle flexes, so it not about strength its about the cutting blades.
Maybe the key is your's is about 10 years old. They just don't make
things like they used to, even 10 years ago.

>>The way I envision the cutter. Mount to a board, place on counter, wash
>>nice large potato, place on fry cutter, one pull/push, ... fries.

> That's pretty much it. Unless you've got a physical handicap, it's not very
> difficult.

I was comparing to the time it takes to cut by hand. Which isn't a lot
more time consuming or difficult, but there is a difference.

Pete

> -- Larry

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Stryjewski wrote:
> Gualtier Malde (Chuck) wrote:
>> Jerry Bank wrote:
>>
>>> In article > ,
>>> says...

www.Cabelas.com item # IG-513865. It's $100.

>>> Is there any reason why you need an industrial style cutter. Do you
>>> make vast quantities of fries? If not, what about using a knife.

>> I agree, or use a mandolin, available for about $35 in a consumer
>> model, to make even slices and either use the mandolin's Julienne
>> cutter or a chef's knife to make the individual cuts.
>>

> We currently use a knife, however while I'm skilled with the knife, my
> lovely wife is not. Also, it takes some (okay a little) effort to get
> uniform sizes of the frys, so that they cook evenly.
>
> My parents have a "quality" mandolin, but I've never really liked them.
> Also, there is a bit of prep work involved, before you're ready to slice.
>
> The way I envision the cutter. Mount to a board, place on counter, wash
> nice large potato, place on fry cutter, one pull/push, ... fries.
>
> As far as being "industrial", the consumer ones are pathetic, so that's
> why I'm looking for a nicer one. The consumer ones I've tried could
> barely cut the potato that was peeled. And yes, I did have the cutting
> blades positioned the correct way.
>
> Thanks for the comments.
>
> Pete

I agree about the "quality" mandolin. I have always found them kind of
rattle-y. I'm talking about another quality mandolin, still a pro
product, with quickly replaceable blade and Julienne combinations.
Bargreen's (in Seattle) has them and there have been chefs who preferred
them for ease of use and lack of crevices. Our son swears by his.

We have a lower order one, bought at Sur la Table for about $35 many
years ago, and it's really quite good.

Then there's the lowest end: The Feemster Slicer, a truly dangerous
device with an unguarded razor-sharp blade:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=284507

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/s...hid=incepto r

In our family, "Feemster" is our nickname for "Finger". <g>
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 19:31:46 GMT, Stryjewski > wrote:
>
>>As far as being "industrial", the consumer ones are pathetic, so that's
>>why I'm looking for a nicer one. The consumer ones I've tried could
>>barely cut the potato that was peeled. And yes, I did have the cutting
>>blades positioned the correct way.

> We've had the "pathetic consumer model" (with suction cup mounting to the
> countertop) for about ten years, and it works just fine. Even my delicate
> flower
> of a wife can make it work with large Idaho potatoes. The only thing I
> would
> like is a blade insert for even smaller cross-section fries, like McDo or
> real
> Belgian pommes frites.
>
>>The way I envision the cutter. Mount to a board, place on counter, wash
>>nice large potato, place on fry cutter, one pull/push, ... fries.

> That's pretty much it. Unless you've got a physical handicap, it's not
> very
> difficult.

Same here. Bought my cutter at the hardware store a few years ago for about
$12. Made in some third world sweat shot. Came with 2 cutter sizes. Almost
exclusiveley use the large "Steak Fry" cutting head. There is a little
learning curve involved, but not much, it ain't rocket science. Trim the
potatoe so it fits loosley, Place the rounded end toward the cutting blade,
& push down in a rapid , fluid, Kung-Fu type motion........yelling
"Heeeee-yaaaa" as you do it. Works great, & entertains the grandkids. Dont
forget to properly cook the fries when done cutting. Put the cut fries on
ice for a few hours before you deep fry them & they come out nice & crispy
like Micky D's.

--
If we're not supposed to eat animals why are they made of meat?

> -- Larry

Posted to rec.food.equipment

If you are looking for different options here are a couple:

This one works like an apple slicer, with three blades. One for thick
fries, one for thinner fries and one for apples. Stainless Steel works
very well.

http://www.dominicskitchenstore.com/...p?ITEM_ID=2255

This is one of my favorites, it is a mandoline made by OXO. This is one
of the best products I have used, it will do everything a $200
stainless steel Bron mandoline will do for $69. Minimal pieces and
easy storage are nice features of this one. It is capable of fully
adjustable thicknesses, waffle cuts, crinkle cuts, and thin or thick
julienne strips (french fry style).

http://www.dominicskitchenstore.com/...p?ITEM_ID=1495

Chef Dom
www.DominicsKitchenStore.com

Cheese Cutter Terry Pulliam Burd[_4_] General Cooking 48 29-07-2010 01:02 AM
Cookie cutter? koko General Cooking 11 11-05-2010 01:54 AM
Cheese cutter Leonard Blaisdell[_2_] General Cooking 30 15-07-2008 08:06 PM
Pastry Cutter, or ? aem General Cooking 60 05-12-2006 10:18 PM
Food Processor Recommendation w/French Fry Cutter MC Cooking Equipment 14 31-10-2004 06:17 PM