Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Waring Pro Fryer - Not Impressed

Hi Folks,

I bought the Waring Pro fryer I asked about in another thread from
Sam's Club, model # WPF300SA. I think I'm gonna return it. It just
doesn't seem to get hot enough. Though they advertise a 540 degree auto
shut off, the thermostat goes only to 375 degrees. That wouldn't be so
bad, but my electric thermometer only registered 342 degrees at the
hottest and some soggy fries also attest to this.

I guess I'm back to the same old question: is there a 120 volt deep
fryer worth a damn?

Posted to rec.food.equipment

> wrote:
>I bought the Waring Pro fryer I asked about in another thread from
>Sam's Club, model # WPF300SA. I think I'm gonna return it. It just
>doesn't seem to get hot enough. Though they advertise a 540 degree auto
>shut off, the thermostat goes only to 375 degrees. That wouldn't be so
>bad, but my electric thermometer only registered 342 degrees at the
>hottest and some soggy fries also attest to this.
>
>I guess I'm back to the same old question: is there a 120 volt deep
>fryer worth a damn?

We've had a Delohghi that we like okay. It, too, only goes up to about
370 or 375, but since we get tasty fried food out at 360, I'm guessing
its thermostat actually works. Since none of us are peanut-allergic,
we fill it with peanut oil purchased at a local restaurant supply place
(United Grocers' Cash & Carry -- same chain as Smart & Final).

If you're not too ****ed off at Waring, maybe you should exchange the
one you have for another one, and see if it's just the one you got that
was defective...

Donald
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On 6 Feb 2006 17:02:37 -0800, wrote:

We've got the previous Waring Pro model (without the digital readout), and it
gets to 375 fine. Dunno why you'd want the thermostat to go beyond 375, though.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.equipment

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> I guess I'm back to the same old question: is there a 120 volt deep
> fryer worth a damn?

This article was published in the May, 2005, issue of Cook's Country,
sister magazine to Cook's Illustrated.

Electric deep fryers are appealing for several reasons. Because the
hot oil is away from lit stovetop burners, they add a significant measure of
safety to what can be a dangerous operation. Lids promise to reduce the mess
and filters the stink. Finally, built-in thermostats mean no more fussing
with clip-on thermometers, which always seem to drop into the oil at the
least opportune moment.

We ordered 10 deep fryers, all priced under $65 (who wants to spend
more on an infrequently used kitchen item?), and noticed that they fell into
two distinct camps. In the first were the traditional models intended for
home use, which are round and usually have a capacity of 2 to 2 1/2 quarts.
In the second were some newer models styled in the fashion of the sleek
stainless steel fryers you might see in a fast-food restaurant. These
professional-style models are rectangular in shape and have a capacity of 3
to 3 1/2 quarts.

For our first test, we noted how long each fryer took to heat the oil
to 375 degrees, the correct temperature for most frying (a few models couldn't
quite reach this benchmark and were downgraded). We also measured heat loss
when we dumped frozen fries into the heated oil. Whereas the temperature in
the top-rated Oster, a professional-style model, dropped just 40 degrees,
the temperature in the Black & Decker, a home-style fryer, plummeted more
than 130 degrees, a sure sign of a weak heating element. What does this mean
in practical terms? It means that the Oster produced super-crisp fries,
whereas the fries cooked in the Black & Decker absorbed a lot of oil and
emerged limp and soggy.

We also measured the time it took the oil to reheat between batches of
fries. Recovery times ranged from two to nine minutes, but in the end this
factor seemed less important than the ability to maintain the temperature of
the oil when food was added. Ultimately, we ignored the thermostat and fried
two batches of chicken tenders back to back, without waiting for the oil to
reheat. (This is something you might do when kids are begging for more food,
fast.) Only the professional-style models could manage this daunting task.

Ten gallons of oil later, what had we learned? Every deep fryer --
home and professional style alike -- utilizes a magnetic, breakaway safety
cord that keeps an inadvertent tug on the power cord from spilling the
contents of the fryer. Each also uses enough electricity to engage a circuit
breaker when plugged in next to most small appliances. We blew many a fuse
trying to test two fryers at the same time. Most covered deep fryers include
a charcoal filter to limit the offensive, lingering odors. But they offer
only moderate help -- after a session of frying, you should still expect to
smell like a short-order cook. The lids, however, did manage to keep the
mess from splattered oil under control.

As we mentioned, the "professional" fryers, with their powerful
heating elements, were best able to keep the oil up to temperature,
especially in the frozen french fry test, which some of the home-style
models failed. The latter hide the electric heating coil inside a stay-cool
plastic housing, whereas in professional-style models the heating coil sits
at the bottom of the cooking chamber and is in direct contact with the oil.
But there's a price to pay for this performance. Professional models are
real oil hogs, calling for an extra quart or so.

Because none of the 10 models tested addressed the problem of how to
store the relatively large amount of oil used, we really came to appreciate
fryers that used as little as possible. Once you're finished frying, you
need to let the oil cool, filter it, and refrigerate it in an airtight
container. When you're talking about 3 quarts of oil--the amount needed to
operate the Oster, our favorite professional-style fryer -- that's a big
hassle and expense.

Finally, a word about cleanup. The better home-style fryers now come
with a removable, nonstick bowl to save you from turning the whole fryer on
edge to empty the spent oil. These bowls, along with the fry baskets and
lids (if removable) are dishwasher-safe. You are left to clean the housing
with a soapy sponge. Most components (the lid, bowl, base, and basket) on
professional-type fryers are also dishwasher-safe. Only the control box and
element need hand washing.

So which model should you buy? On points, the professional-style fryer
from Oster was the winner because it maintained the oil temperature like a
champ. If you'd like to save money on oil, though, the Rival Cool Touch is
our favorite home-style fryer. It holds on to heat nearly as well as the
"professional" models -- and, more important, it turns out fried foods every
bit as addictive.

HOME-STYLE DEEP FRYERS

RECOMMENDED

Rival Cool Touch Deep Fryer CF275
Capacity: 2.5 liters
Price: $49.99
Comments: In the crucial frozen french fry test, this model maintained
heat as well as the "professional" fryers. The only model with a window in
the lid that did not steam over and become useless. Because the built-in
timer will turn off the heat when the set time expires, we recommend using
the "stay on" setting and relying on a separate timer.

Aroma Cool Fry Deep Fryer ADF-172D
Capacity: 2 quarts
Price: $59.99
Comments: Body and lid remained the coolest of any fryer tested.
Results equaled the top-rated Rival and Oster fryers, but the fry basket is
smallish and the window fogs immediately.

RECOMMENDED WITH RESERVATIONS

DeLonghi Cool Touch Deluxe Fryer D650-UX
Capacity: 2 quarts
Price: $62.99
Comments: The oil drain allows for easy oil removal, but to clean bowl
and lid (which are not removable) we had to lug this model over to the sink.
The lack of a thermostat is a serious shortcoming.

Presto Dual Daddy Electric Deep Fryer 05450
Capacity: 2 quarts
Price: $37.70
Comments: This rudimentary fryer lacks all bells and whistles. No
basket, no thermostat, and no lid to control the mess, but it cranks out
intense heat.

NOT RECOMMENDED

Presto Cool Daddy Cool-Touch Electric Deep Fryer 05444
Capacity: 2 liters
Price: $49.99
Comments: This model failed our heat loss test, and both preheat and
recovery times exceeded acceptable limits. The shallow bowl made it
impossible to fully submerge fried chicken. Food stuck to the basket.

T-Fal Maxi Fry Deep Fryer FF100100
Capacity: 3 quarts
Price: $39.99
Comments: Required an excessive 20 minutes to the preheat oil. The
frying chamber is not removable, so cleanup is a slippery mess.

Black & Decker Fry Mate DF200
Capacity: 2 liters
Price: $54.99
Comments: Painfully slow to preheat and recover temperature between
batches. The oil temperature plummeted 130 degrees during the frozen food
test, leading to greasy, pale fries.

PROFESSIONAL-STYLE DEEP FRYERS

RECOMMENDED

Oster Immersion Deep Fryer ODF540
Capacity: 3 liters
Price: $59.99
Comments: The top performer among the sleek restaurant-style fryers.
Excels at maintaining heat, but not everyone will want to deal with 3 liters
of used oil. On the bright side, only the heating element and control box
are not dishwasher-safe.

General Electric Professional Style Deep Fryer 106770
Capacity: 3.5 liters
Price: $54.84
Comments: The huge basket matches the excessive capacity of this
fryer. Only for the serious deep-fry enthusiast. Identical results can be
achieved other fryers that use much less oil.

RECOMMENDED WITH RESERVATIONS

Rival Commercial Style Deep Fryer CZF610
Capacity: 3 liters
Price: $59.99
Comments: Preheating and recovery times are excellent. However, the
too-smart-for-its-own-good timing system cuts the heat once the set time has
expired, and there is no way to bypass this safety system, as with the other
Rival fryer.

Attached Thumbnails
Waring Pro Fryer - Not Impressed-longdots.gif
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Interesting...

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Susan,

In my previous thread I noted my attempts to verify the similarity of
the two products. I couldn't find anything in the specs to suggest they
were different. Also, I suspect all of them are made in China these
days.

That being said, you do have a valid point. There must be some reason
Waring goes to the trouble of making a separate Sam's product and all
the custom packaging that goes with it.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Susan,
>
> In my previous thread I noted my attempts to verify the similarity of
> the two products. I couldn't find anything in the specs to suggest they
> were different. Also, I suspect all of them are made in China these
> days.
>
> That being said, you do have a valid point. There must be some reason
> Waring goes to the trouble of making a separate Sam's product and all
> the custom packaging that goes with it.

I always call Costco or the product manufacturer to see if the product
number 'was' made for Costco. Sometimes, the manufacturer will say they've
made it for Costco because they will give more value; for instance, throw in
something extra in the pak.

I did buy from a Waring waffle iron, but I don't know about other Waring
products. It is not a brand I would usually want to buy, but I am quite
satisfied with the Waring waffle maker.
Dee