sid

Default Countertop convection oven vs. Microwave/Convection hood

Hi-

I don't have space for a wall oven so am considering either a
countertop convection oven placed on a shelf over my 30 inch cooktop
or a microwave/convection/range hood unit of either the Sharp or GE
JVM1490 variety.

The space borders a 24 inch deep wall on the left side and 13 inch
deep cabinet on the right side. I realize that the installation
templates require no more than 13 inch depth on both sides. I assume
from talking with GE and Sharp that this requirement was in accordance
with UL ratings but certainly wouldn't want to create a hazard.

I only need the oven for occasional cookies, cake, pizza rewarming--no
meat, fowl, broil, etc.

I also really don't need the microwave feature, and mostly don't need
the venting hood exhaust fan feature, and would like to keep it a long
time.

So, I'd like to have recommendations on what to purchase based on my
cooking needs?

The Farberware T490C seems to be the best size match but as I am not
familiar with any of these ovens, I cannot speak from experience. From
speaking with the Farberware customer service, their oven only needs 2
inches on the side and 4 inches of top clearance, but the person did
not know about the back clearance. Could I put it right up against
drywall?

The Cadco 1/4 size is 18 inch square which I think would cover the
range too much. Similar depth issues apply to Moffat, Wisco, Equipex,
Broilking (identical to Cadco?).

What I've been unable to learn is the performance difference, if any,
between the commercial countertop convection ovens and a
micro/conv/hood? Is the heating element simililar?

Also, both microhoods, from the specs, seem to be able to accommodate
a 1/2 size cookie sheet, but only one..not two.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
Vox Humana

"sid" > wrote in message
m...
> Hi-
>
> I don't have space for a wall oven so am considering either a
> countertop convection oven placed on a shelf over my 30 inch cooktop
> or a microwave/convection/range hood unit of either the Sharp or GE
> JVM1490 variety.
>
> The space borders a 24 inch deep wall on the left side and 13 inch
> deep cabinet on the right side. I realize that the installation
> templates require no more than 13 inch depth on both sides. I assume
> from talking with GE and Sharp that this requirement was in accordance
> with UL ratings but certainly wouldn't want to create a hazard.
>
> I only need the oven for occasional cookies, cake, pizza rewarming--no
> meat, fowl, broil, etc.
>
> I also really don't need the microwave feature, and mostly don't need
> the venting hood exhaust fan feature, and would like to keep it a long
> time.
>
> So, I'd like to have recommendations on what to purchase based on my
> cooking needs?
>
> The Farberware T490C seems to be the best size match but as I am not
> familiar with any of these ovens, I cannot speak from experience. From
> speaking with the Farberware customer service, their oven only needs 2
> inches on the side and 4 inches of top clearance, but the person did
> not know about the back clearance. Could I put it right up against
> drywall?
>
> The Cadco 1/4 size is 18 inch square which I think would cover the
> range too much. Similar depth issues apply to Moffat, Wisco, Equipex,
> Broilking (identical to Cadco?).
>
> What I've been unable to learn is the performance difference, if any,
> between the commercial countertop convection ovens and a
> micro/conv/hood? Is the heating element simililar?
>
> Also, both microhoods, from the specs, seem to be able to accommodate
> a 1/2 size cookie sheet, but only one..not two.
>
> Any advice appreciated.

I have a Sharp micro/convention hood. It is a truly great appliance. I
seldom use my JennAir convection oven, except in the rare occasion that I
have to bake something really large. As for placing the OTR unit against
the manufacturer's recommendations, I don't really see how it would be a
problem. The unit is well insulated and the outer cabinet is a dead space
that has air drawn around it to prevent over heating. It never gets hot. I
could see it being a problem if the cabinet over the oven was deeper than
the oven. If you want a table top unit, then I would recommend looking at a
Sharp simply because the one I have has been wonderful and is loaded with
useful features. If you already have a microwave, the new unit would
replace it. Here is a link to Sharp's microwave page.
http://www.sharpusa.com/products/Typ...1056,5,00.html

Steve Calvin

Vox Humana wrote:

> "sid" > wrote in message
> m...
>
>>Hi-
>>
>>I don't have space for a wall oven so am considering either a
>>countertop convection oven placed on a shelf over my 30 inch cooktop
>>or a microwave/convection/range hood unit of either the Sharp or GE
>>JVM1490 variety.
>>
>>The space borders a 24 inch deep wall on the left side and 13 inch
>>deep cabinet on the right side. I realize that the installation
>>templates require no more than 13 inch depth on both sides. I assume
>>from talking with GE and Sharp that this requirement was in accordance
>>with UL ratings but certainly wouldn't want to create a hazard.
>>
>>I only need the oven for occasional cookies, cake, pizza rewarming--no
>>meat, fowl, broil, etc.
>>
>>I also really don't need the microwave feature, and mostly don't need
>>the venting hood exhaust fan feature, and would like to keep it a long
>>time.
>>
>>So, I'd like to have recommendations on what to purchase based on my
>>cooking needs?
>>
>>The Farberware T490C seems to be the best size match but as I am not
>>familiar with any of these ovens, I cannot speak from experience. From
>>speaking with the Farberware customer service, their oven only needs 2
>>inches on the side and 4 inches of top clearance, but the person did
>>not know about the back clearance. Could I put it right up against
>>drywall?
>>
>>The Cadco 1/4 size is 18 inch square which I think would cover the
>>range too much. Similar depth issues apply to Moffat, Wisco, Equipex,
>>Broilking (identical to Cadco?).
>>
>>What I've been unable to learn is the performance difference, if any,
>>between the commercial countertop convection ovens and a
>>micro/conv/hood? Is the heating element simililar?
>>
>>Also, both microhoods, from the specs, seem to be able to accommodate
>>a 1/2 size cookie sheet, but only one..not two.
>>
>>Any advice appreciated.

> I have a Sharp micro/convention hood. It is a truly great appliance. I
> seldom use my JennAir convection oven, except in the rare occasion that I
> have to bake something really large. As for placing the OTR unit against
> the manufacturer's recommendations, I don't really see how it would be a
> problem. The unit is well insulated and the outer cabinet is a dead space
> that has air drawn around it to prevent over heating. It never gets hot. I
> could see it being a problem if the cabinet over the oven was deeper than
> the oven. If you want a table top unit, then I would recommend looking at a
> Sharp simply because the one I have has been wonderful and is loaded with
> useful features. If you already have a microwave, the new unit would
> replace it. Here is a link to Sharp's microwave page.
> http://www.sharpusa.com/products/Typ...1056,5,00.html

I tend to agree with the comments above. I have a over the range GE
Profile Preformance micro/convection unit with fan and I love it. I know
of no drawbacks to it what so ever. I do alot of roasts, chicken and
things like that in it and it does them very well. The combo settings
definately cook things quicker but still give the crispy outside (if you
want it) that a regular oven does. I typically use it as just a
convection as opposed to firing up my large oven as it doesn't throw
much heat at all.

It is nice having two ovens available around the holidays too.

--
Steve