Jordan Zimmer

Default HELP! Stove Keeps Flashing and Beeping "F1"

Hello to all. I'm fairly new around here, so please bear with me. We own
a Frigidaire smoothtop range model #GLEF396. At approximately 10 PM last
night, we heard this continuous beeping noise coming from the kitchen. Upon
closer examination, we noticed that the clock/timer display on the stove was
flashing "F1". We tried unplugging the stove, resetting the clock, but
nothing worked. It's still doing it, and is starting to drive us a little
crazy! I think I'm just going to unplug the stove for the rest of the night.
Needless to say, we ordered take-out... The burners on the range still seem
functional, but we cannot get the oven to come on, as the touchpad isn't
responding to any of our commands. It just keeps beeping and flashing.
There are no repair centers open around here on the weekends, so I have to
wait until Monday at the earliest before calling someone to come over. Does
anyone know what the problem might be? We've had no complaints or problems
with the stove until last night. Any advice is much appreciated!

Jordan

Vox Humana

"Jordan Zimmer" > wrote in message
. ..
> Hello to all. I'm fairly new around here, so please bear with me. We

own
> a Frigidaire smoothtop range model #GLEF396. At approximately 10 PM last
> night, we heard this continuous beeping noise coming from the kitchen.

Upon
> closer examination, we noticed that the clock/timer display on the stove

was
> flashing "F1". We tried unplugging the stove, resetting the clock, but
> nothing worked. It's still doing it, and is starting to drive us a little
> crazy! I think I'm just going to unplug the stove for the rest of the

night.
> Needless to say, we ordered take-out... The burners on the range still

seem
> functional, but we cannot get the oven to come on, as the touchpad isn't
> responding to any of our commands. It just keeps beeping and flashing.
> There are no repair centers open around here on the weekends, so I have to
> wait until Monday at the earliest before calling someone to come over.

Does
> anyone know what the problem might be? We've had no complaints or

problems
> with the stove until last night. Any advice is much appreciated!

You can find an explanation of Frigidaire fault codes he
http://www.repairclinic.com/0078.asp#Frigidaire

The F1 code seems to be a very common fault code that means the electronic
oven controller is shot. Sometimes it means there is a communications error
between various boards or that the temperature sensor is faulty. Chances are
that you are looking at a $200-$300 oven controller board plus labor if you
aren't going to replace it yourself. Hopefully your unit is still under
warranty.

Vox Humana

"Jordan Zimmer" > wrote in message
. ..
> Hello to all. I'm fairly new around here, so please bear with me. We

own
> a Frigidaire smoothtop range model #GLEF396. At approximately 10 PM last
> night, we heard this continuous beeping noise coming from the kitchen.

Upon
> closer examination, we noticed that the clock/timer display on the stove

was
> flashing "F1". We tried unplugging the stove, resetting the clock, but
> nothing worked. It's still doing it, and is starting to drive us a little
> crazy! I think I'm just going to unplug the stove for the rest of the

night.
> Needless to say, we ordered take-out... The burners on the range still

seem
> functional, but we cannot get the oven to come on, as the touchpad isn't
> responding to any of our commands. It just keeps beeping and flashing.
> There are no repair centers open around here on the weekends, so I have to
> wait until Monday at the earliest before calling someone to come over.

Does
> anyone know what the problem might be? We've had no complaints or

problems
> with the stove until last night. Any advice is much appreciated!

I forgot to add, you can try to reboot your oven and see if the code will
cancel. Turn off the circuit breaker or unplug the range for about 20
minutes. When you restore the power the code will probably be gone. Don't
assume that the problem is fixed because it will likely reoccur.

Brad

Hi Jordan. I hate to say it, but Vox is correct. Your oven controller,
what my father refers to as the "ERC" (electronic range control), is
defective and must be replaced. The repair bill might shock you too! Do
you know approximately how old the range is? My dad services and repairs
major appliances. He is authorized by most of the major manufacturers to
carry out the warranty work too. He personally has replaced more ERC's than
he cares to admit. As a matter of fact, I remember him saying that almost
80% of his service calls for ranges involve the ERC. (The F1 fault code your
stove is displaying) Most only last for about 3-5 years and basically burn
out. The repair bill typically runs from around $250-400, depending on the
design. Unlike standard dial controls, which can be repaired, electronic
controls must be ENTIRELY replaced. Most are hermetically sealed and
opening them up will destroy the casing, so it's pointless. Unfortunately,
everything seems to be going electronic in the home appliance department.
Hope this helps you out somewhat... Good luck, and let us know how things
turn out!

"Jordan Zimmer" > wrote in message
. ..
> Hello to all. I'm fairly new around here, so please bear with me. We

own
> a Frigidaire smoothtop range model #GLEF396. At approximately 10 PM last
> night, we heard this continuous beeping noise coming from the kitchen.

Upon
> closer examination, we noticed that the clock/timer display on the stove

was
> flashing "F1". We tried unplugging the stove, resetting the clock, but
> nothing worked. It's still doing it, and is starting to drive us a little
> crazy! I think I'm just going to unplug the stove for the rest of the

night.
> Needless to say, we ordered take-out... The burners on the range still

seem
> functional, but we cannot get the oven to come on, as the touchpad isn't
> responding to any of our commands. It just keeps beeping and flashing.
> There are no repair centers open around here on the weekends, so I have to
> wait until Monday at the earliest before calling someone to come over.

Does
> anyone know what the problem might be? We've had no complaints or

problems
> with the stove until last night. Any advice is much appreciated!
>

> Jordan

Vox Humana

"Brad" > wrote in message
. ..
> Hi Jordan. I hate to say it, but Vox is correct. Your oven controller,
> what my father refers to as the "ERC" (electronic range control), is
> defective and must be replaced. The repair bill might shock you too! Do
> you know approximately how old the range is? My dad services and repairs
> major appliances. He is authorized by most of the major manufacturers to
> carry out the warranty work too. He personally has replaced more ERC's

than
> he cares to admit. As a matter of fact, I remember him saying that almost
> 80% of his service calls for ranges involve the ERC. (The F1 fault code

your
> stove is displaying) Most only last for about 3-5 years and basically

burn
> out. The repair bill typically runs from around $250-400, depending on the
> design. Unlike standard dial controls, which can be repaired, electronic
> controls must be ENTIRELY replaced. Most are hermetically sealed and
> opening them up will destroy the casing, so it's pointless.

Unfortunately,
> everything seems to be going electronic in the home appliance department.
> Hope this helps you out somewhat... Good luck, and let us know how things
> turn out!

I had to replace mine when it was about 5-6 years old. It wasn't a job that
required a lot of skill, but since I was not familiar with the range, it
took a while to accomplish. The worst part was keeping track of the couple
dozen wires, many of the same color. I took pictures of the unit before I
disconnected it and also made a diagram and labeled some of the wires.
Still, I neglected to connect a small harness that went to the oven door
lock motor and the range wouldn't go into clean mode. I figured that out
after a few tries and quickly corrected the problem. The OP can get an idea
of the cost of the part at the link that I provided. I would estimate about
two hours of labor to replace it since the range will have to be pulled and
the controller located and removed. Unless the tech happens to have the
part in stock on his truck, I would count on two visits (one to diagnose and
one to repair).

Chris Webster

Jordan Zimmer wrote:
> Hello to all. I'm fairly new around here, so please bear with me. We own
> a Frigidaire smoothtop range model #GLEF396. At approximately 10 PM last
> night, we heard this continuous beeping noise coming from the kitchen. Upon
> closer examination, we noticed that the clock/timer display on the stove was
> flashing "F1".

Did you try <CTRL><ALT><DEL> ?

--Chris

sorry, couldn't resist.
Big-Uns

The poor stove is crying for <HELP>

Push F1 on you computer to see..............

Jordan Zimmer wrote:
> Hello to all. I'm fairly new around here, so please bear with me. We own
> a Frigidaire smoothtop range model #GLEF396. At approximately 10 PM last
> night, we heard this continuous beeping noise coming from the kitchen. Upon
> closer examination, we noticed that the clock/timer display on the stove was
> flashing "F1". We tried unplugging the stove, resetting the clock, but
> nothing worked. It's still doing it, and is starting to drive us a little
> crazy! I think I'm just going to unplug the stove for the rest of the night.
> Needless to say, we ordered take-out... The burners on the range still seem
> functional, but we cannot get the oven to come on, as the touchpad isn't
> responding to any of our commands. It just keeps beeping and flashing.
> There are no repair centers open around here on the weekends, so I have to
> wait until Monday at the earliest before calling someone to come over. Does
> anyone know what the problem might be? We've had no complaints or problems
> with the stove until last night. Any advice is much appreciated!
>

> Jordan

DawnK

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "Brad" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > Hi Jordan. I hate to say it, but Vox is correct. Your oven controller,
> > what my father refers to as the "ERC" (electronic range control), is
> > defective and must be replaced. The repair bill might shock you too!

Do
> > you know approximately how old the range is? My dad services and

repairs
> > major appliances. He is authorized by most of the major manufacturers

> > carry out the warranty work too. He personally has replaced more ERC's

> than
> > he cares to admit. As a matter of fact, I remember him saying that

almost
> > 80% of his service calls for ranges involve the ERC. (The F1 fault code

> your
> > stove is displaying) Most only last for about 3-5 years and basically

> burn
> > out. The repair bill typically runs from around $250-400, depending on

the
> > design. Unlike standard dial controls, which can be repaired, electronic
> > controls must be ENTIRELY replaced. Most are hermetically sealed and
> > opening them up will destroy the casing, so it's pointless.

> Unfortunately,
> > everything seems to be going electronic in the home appliance

department.
> > Hope this helps you out somewhat... Good luck, and let us know how

things
> > turn out!

> I had to replace mine when it was about 5-6 years old. It wasn't a job

that
> required a lot of skill, but since I was not familiar with the range, it
> took a while to accomplish. The worst part was keeping track of the

couple
> dozen wires, many of the same color. I took pictures of the unit before I
> disconnected it and also made a diagram and labeled some of the wires.
> Still, I neglected to connect a small harness that went to the oven door
> lock motor and the range wouldn't go into clean mode. I figured that out
> after a few tries and quickly corrected the problem. The OP can get an

idea
> of the cost of the part at the link that I provided. I would estimate

about
> two hours of labor to replace it since the range will have to be pulled

and
> the controller located and removed. Unless the tech happens to have the
> part in stock on his truck, I would count on two visits (one to diagnose

and
> one to repair).

Oh yay, so I get this to look forward to on my 2yo Frigidaire range, huh?

Dawn

Brad

Hi Dawn. Not necessarily. There's no telling just when the part might
fail. Some go for two years, some for 5, a few even make it to the 10 year
mark, but I can tell you that electronic controls, on the whole, have been
less reliable and have a higher rate of failure than the old dial controls
of years gone by. I hate to say this too, but Frigidaire is not among the
brands with the best reputation either... (Their fridges are the worst).
Keep your fingers crossed though. If it makes it past the 2 year mark
without any problems, chances are it'll go for another 2-3 years. Good
luck!

> Oh yay, so I get this to look forward to on my 2yo Frigidaire range, huh?
>
> Dawn

Brad

LOL! Cute. If only it were that easy! ;-)

"Chris Webster" > wrote in message
> Jordan Zimmer wrote:
> > Hello to all. I'm fairly new around here, so please bear with me. We

own
> > a Frigidaire smoothtop range model #GLEF396. At approximately 10 PM

last
> > night, we heard this continuous beeping noise coming from the kitchen.

Upon
> > closer examination, we noticed that the clock/timer display on the stove

was
> > flashing "F1".

> Did you try <CTRL><ALT><DEL> ?
>
> --Chris
>
> sorry, couldn't resist.

Charles Demas

In article >,
Brad > wrote:
>Hi Dawn. Not necessarily. There's no telling just when the part might
>fail. Some go for two years, some for 5, a few even make it to the 10 year
>mark, but I can tell you that electronic controls, on the whole, have been
>less reliable and have a higher rate of failure than the old dial controls
>of years gone by. I hate to say this too, but Frigidaire is not among the
>brands with the best reputation either... (Their fridges are the worst).

That probably happened as a result of the Fridgidaire line being
sold to White Westinghouse by General Motors (many years ago).

Chuck Demas

--
Eat Healthy | _ _ | Nothing would be done at all,
Stay Fit | @ @ | If a man waited to do it so well,
| \___/ | http://world.std.com/~cpd
DawnK

"Brad" > wrote in message
> Hi Dawn. Not necessarily. There's no telling just when the part might
> fail. Some go for two years, some for 5, a few even make it to the 10

year
> mark, but I can tell you that electronic controls, on the whole, have been
> less reliable and have a higher rate of failure than the old dial controls
> of years gone by. I hate to say this too, but Frigidaire is not among the
> brands with the best reputation either... (Their fridges are the worst).
> Keep your fingers crossed though. If it makes it past the 2 year mark
> without any problems, chances are it'll go for another 2-3 years. Good
> luck!
>

> > Oh yay, so I get this to look forward to on my 2yo Frigidaire range,

huh?

> > Dawn

I'll keep my fingers crossed. It's the only Frigidaire appliance we have.

Dawn

Vox Humana

"Charles Demas" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Brad > wrote:
> >Hi Dawn. Not necessarily. There's no telling just when the part might
> >fail. Some go for two years, some for 5, a few even make it to the 10

year
> >mark, but I can tell you that electronic controls, on the whole, have

been
> >less reliable and have a higher rate of failure than the old dial

controls
> >of years gone by. I hate to say this too, but Frigidaire is not among

the
> >brands with the best reputation either... (Their fridges are the worst).

> That probably happened as a result of the Fridgidaire line being
> sold to White Westinghouse by General Motors (many years ago).

I sure looks like Frigidaire front loading washers are made by GE. I have
also seen Frigidaire appliances stamped "Frigidaire brand by Electrolux."

Charles Demas

In article >,
Vox Humana > wrote:

>"Charles Demas" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> Brad > wrote:
>> >Hi Dawn. Not necessarily. There's no telling just when the part might
>> >fail. Some go for two years, some for 5, a few even make it to the 10

>year
>> >mark, but I can tell you that electronic controls, on the whole, have

>been
>> >less reliable and have a higher rate of failure than the old dial

>controls
>> >of years gone by. I hate to say this too, but Frigidaire is not among

>the
>> >brands with the best reputation either... (Their fridges are the worst).

>> That probably happened as a result of the Fridgidaire line being
>> sold to White Westinghouse by General Motors (many years ago).

>I sure looks like Frigidaire front loading washers are made by GE. I have
>also seen Frigidaire appliances stamped "Frigidaire brand by Electrolux."

Maybe there have been other sales since General Motors sold the
line/name.

Chuck Demas

--
Eat Healthy | _ _ | Nothing would be done at all,
Stay Fit | @ @ | If a man waited to do it so well,
Die Anyway | v | That no one could find fault with it.
| \___/ | http://world.std.com/~cpd
Brad

I understand your frustration completely. The bottom line is that we live
in a "throw-away" society. Most people would rather buy a new appliance
rather than have the old one fixed. This is especially true if the cost of
the repair exceeds what the appliance is worth. (especially with regards to
the ERC, which is an expensive part). My father said that as a rule of
thumb, you can count on appliances lasting anywhere from 5 to 12 years, with
most falling somewhere in between that timeline. Appliance manufacturers
are putting less quality into their products because we, as consumers, have
demanded cheaper merchandise. In other words, it's "planned obsolecense"
meaning that they are made that way for a reason. I remember dad saying
that he's replaced condenser and compressors on fridges that were only 3
years old! He was once called out to replace a bad defrost timer on a
brand-new Maytag that had just been delivered! Part of the problem too, is
that a lot of these companies are using parts from Mexico and other places,
and needless to say, it's complete junk. When buying a major appliance, try
sticking with anything made by Whirlpool. Stay clear of G.E., Frigidaire,
Asko, certain Maytag appliances, and all those "bargain basement" names I'm
sure we've all seen at one point or another. It's a shame that it's come
down to this, but that's the truth. Heck, most manufacturers won't even
guarantee parts availability anymore if the appliance is over 5 years old!
Like I said, it's planned obsolecense. Gone are the days when a washer and
dryer, fridge and stove would last you 20 years! Sad.

"DawnK" > wrote in message

> "Brad" > wrote in message
> > Hi Dawn. Not necessarily. There's no telling just when the part might
> > fail. Some go for two years, some for 5, a few even make it to the 10

> year
> > mark, but I can tell you that electronic controls, on the whole, have

been
> > less reliable and have a higher rate of failure than the old dial

controls
> > of years gone by. I hate to say this too, but Frigidaire is not among

the
> > brands with the best reputation either... (Their fridges are the worst).
> > Keep your fingers crossed though. If it makes it past the 2 year mark
> > without any problems, chances are it'll go for another 2-3 years. Good
> > luck!
> >

> > > Oh yay, so I get this to look forward to on my 2yo Frigidaire range,

> huh?
> > >
> > > Dawn

> I'll keep my fingers crossed. It's the only Frigidaire appliance we have.
>
> Dawn

Jordan Zimmer

Thank-you to everyone who responded. I really appreciate it. I'm afraid
that Brad is right... I left the stove unplugged all night, tried plugging
it back it today, and now it's worse than ever! Not only did the beeping
come back, but the entire display is now totally messed up, showing random
characters and flashing rapidly off and on. Sounds like the controller is
fried... I'm calling a repair man tomorrow. Brad, to answer your question,
I think the stove is about three years old. It was here when we moved in
two years ago, and this house was built three years ago, so I'm assuming
that the range was installed when the house was built. Anyway, I'm going to
see how much the estimate will be to replace the controller. If it's too
much, we might just go out and buy a new one. There's little sense into
sinking over $300-plus labor- for an appliance that's already reached its
mid-life! Thanks again, and I'll keep you all updated.

Jordan

"Brad" > wrote in message
. ..
> Hi Jordan. I hate to say it, but Vox is correct. Your oven controller,
> what my father refers to as the "ERC" (electronic range control), is
> defective and must be replaced. The repair bill might shock you too! Do
> you know approximately how old the range is? My dad services and repairs
> major appliances. He is authorized by most of the major manufacturers to
> carry out the warranty work too. He personally has replaced more ERC's

than
> he cares to admit. As a matter of fact, I remember him saying that almost
> 80% of his service calls for ranges involve the ERC. (The F1 fault code

your
> stove is displaying) Most only last for about 3-5 years and basically

burn
> out. The repair bill typically runs from around $250-400, depending on the
> design. Unlike standard dial controls, which can be repaired, electronic
> controls must be ENTIRELY replaced. Most are hermetically sealed and
> opening them up will destroy the casing, so it's pointless.

Unfortunately,
> everything seems to be going electronic in the home appliance department.
> Hope this helps you out somewhat... Good luck, and let us know how things
> turn out!
>

> "Jordan Zimmer" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > Hello to all. I'm fairly new around here, so please bear with me. We

> own
> > a Frigidaire smoothtop range model #GLEF396. At approximately 10 PM

last
> > night, we heard this continuous beeping noise coming from the kitchen.

> Upon
> > closer examination, we noticed that the clock/timer display on the stove

> was
> > flashing "F1". We tried unplugging the stove, resetting the clock, but
> > nothing worked. It's still doing it, and is starting to drive us a

little
> > crazy! I think I'm just going to unplug the stove for the rest of the

> night.
> > Needless to say, we ordered take-out... The burners on the range still

> seem
> > functional, but we cannot get the oven to come on, as the touchpad isn't
> > responding to any of our commands. It just keeps beeping and flashing.
> > There are no repair centers open around here on the weekends, so I have

> > wait until Monday at the earliest before calling someone to come over.

> Does
> > anyone know what the problem might be? We've had no complaints or

> problems
> > with the stove until last night. Any advice is much appreciated!
> >

> > Jordan

Vox Humana

"Jordan Zimmer" > wrote in message
.. .
> Thank-you to everyone who responded. I really appreciate it. I'm afraid
> that Brad is right... I left the stove unplugged all night, tried

plugging
> it back it today, and now it's worse than ever! Not only did the beeping
> come back, but the entire display is now totally messed up, showing random
> characters and flashing rapidly off and on. Sounds like the controller is
> fried... I'm calling a repair man tomorrow. Brad, to answer your

question,
> I think the stove is about three years old. It was here when we moved in
> two years ago, and this house was built three years ago, so I'm assuming
> that the range was installed when the house was built. Anyway, I'm going

> see how much the estimate will be to replace the controller. If it's too
> much, we might just go out and buy a new one. There's little sense into
> sinking over $300-plus labor- for an appliance that's already reached its
> mid-life! Thanks again, and I'll keep you all updated.

You can get an idea of the cost of the part from the website I listed:
www.repairclinic.com

Chris Webster > wrote:
> Jordan Zimmer wrote:
> > Hello to all. I'm fairly new around here, so please bear with me. We own
> > a Frigidaire smoothtop range model #GLEF396. At approximately 10 PM last
> > night, we heard this continuous beeping noise coming from the kitchen. Upon
> > closer examination, we noticed that the clock/timer display on the stove was
> > flashing "F1".

> Did you try <CTRL><ALT><DEL> ?
> sorry, couldn't resist.

Actually, on my stove this works. Well, the "reset" button that normally
turns the oven off will cause the F1 to go away and the beeper to stop
beeping. It's happened two or three times in the 10 years we've had
the house. The stove was probably only 2 or 3 years old when we moved
in.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.
Jordan Zimmer

Default HELP! Stove Keeps Flashing and Beeping "F1" UPDATE...

Well folks, the repair guy came out today, and it's just as you mentioned.
The ERC is faulty and the technician quoted me a total cost of $290 to
replace it. I went ahead with the repair as our money is a little tight
right now. Hopefully, the new one will give us another couple of years of
use, at which point it will be time for a new stove anyway. The bad news is
that the part has to specially ordered from Frigidaire, which he said might
take up to 2-3 weeks, provided that they have the part in stock. I guess
I'll be using our barbecue and microwave a lot <g>. I've left the stove
unplugged because the constant beeping was terribly annoying. Brad was
correct. The guy told me that these things go bad all the time.
Apparently, it's a very common and well known problem.... He said that most
of his other services calls are usually for bad elements or defective burner
switch. I only hope those parts don't go bad once I get the controller
replaced. :-D Anyway folks, thanks again for all your help and
suggestions. You guys truly are a helpful bunch!

Cheers!
Jordan

Vox Humana

"Jordan Zimmer" > wrote in message
> Well folks, the repair guy came out today, and it's just as you mentioned.
> The ERC is faulty and the technician quoted me a total cost of $290 to
> replace it. I went ahead with the repair as our money is a little tight
> right now. Hopefully, the new one will give us another couple of years of
> use, at which point it will be time for a new stove anyway. The bad news

is
> that the part has to specially ordered from Frigidaire, which he said

might
> take up to 2-3 weeks, provided that they have the part in stock. I guess
> I'll be using our barbecue and microwave a lot <g>. I've left the stove
> unplugged because the constant beeping was terribly annoying. Brad was
> correct. The guy told me that these things go bad all the time.
> Apparently, it's a very common and well known problem.... He said that

most
> of his other services calls are usually for bad elements or defective

burner
> switch. I only hope those parts don't go bad once I get the controller
> replaced. :-D Anyway folks, thanks again for all your help and
> suggestions. You guys truly are a helpful bunch!

I would try to locate the part online rather than wait that long.

Chris Webster

> use, at which point it will be time for a new stove anyway. The bad news is
> that the part has to specially ordered from Frigidaire, which he said might
> take up to 2-3 weeks, provided that they have the part in stock.[...] Brad was
> correct. The guy told me that these things go bad all the time.
> Apparently, it's a very common and well known problem....

If its very common, then why the %@!# don't they stock the part. 2-3
weeks is absurd.

--Chris
Vox Humana

"Chris Webster" > wrote in message

> > use, at which point it will be time for a new stove anyway. The bad

news is
> > that the part has to specially ordered from Frigidaire, which he said

might
> > take up to 2-3 weeks, provided that they have the part in stock.[...]

Brad was
> > correct. The guy told me that these things go bad all the time.
> > Apparently, it's a very common and well known problem....

> If its very common, then why the %@!# don't they stock the part. 2-3
> weeks is absurd.

It's the kind of thing you tell people when you are too busy to return
promptly. Once you have charged for the diagnostics and have a commitment
for the repair, then you can call the shots. If you have a local appliance
parts dealer, you can call them to see if the part is available locally.
Otherwise there are several online sources for parts.

Jordan Zimmer

Well, it probably doesn't help that I live in a small town (pop.15,000).
There are only two service centers here... The tech did call three other
places, all within an hour's driving distance, and they didn't carry it
either. I'm not that inconvenienced really. Like I said, there's the
barbecue and microwave and I have a toaster oven too, so I can improvise. I
also have an old hotplate somewhere. The more I think about it, the more I
can understand why the ERC is not a part you would normally keep in stock.
He told me that he only carries standard parts like elements and burner
switches and the like. Basic repair items. Also, can you imagine with all
the different makes/models out there, it would almost be IMPOSSIBLE to stock
every single kind of ERC... I looked around on the web for the part, like
Vox mentioned, and even I couldn't believe how many different controllers
there are. I DID locate the part at repairclinic.com, and it was $204.65
and not in stock. I take it this must be a hot item! :-) Anyway, the
technician was very understanding and promised me that he would be over to
install it the moment it arrives...

BTW, here's the part I need:

http://www.repairclinic.com/0081.asp?RccPartID=499508

Cheers!
Jordan

Jordan Zimmer > wrote:
> The ERC is faulty and the technician quoted me a total cost of $290 to

> that the part has to specially ordered from Frigidaire, which he said might
> take up to 2-3 weeks, provided that they have the part in stock. I guess
> I'll be using our barbecue and microwave a lot <g>. I've left the stove
> unplugged because the constant beeping was terribly annoying. Brad was

I know this is a little late to ask, but the ERC on my stove just seems
to control the oven and timer. Is it possible to have the module unplugged
and still be able to use the burners? Maybe the burners go through
the ERC also, but worth asking the tech about if you might still be
able to use the stove top with the beeping part unplugged.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Brad

The ERC is not something many service centers keep in stock. It usually
needs to be specially ordered from the manufacturer, as there any many
different designs and makes. The wiring schematics also vary from model to
model, even among brands from the same company. I'll say one thing positive
about Frigidaire, and it's that they have a well-stocked inventory of
replacement parts... Probably because people are replacing them so much.
LOL. Anyway, I hope everything turns out OK. Keep in touch.

"Jordan Zimmer" > wrote in message
. ..
> Well, it probably doesn't help that I live in a small town (pop.15,000).
> There are only two service centers here... The tech did call three other
> places, all within an hour's driving distance, and they didn't carry it
> either. I'm not that inconvenienced really. Like I said, there's the
> barbecue and microwave and I have a toaster oven too, so I can improvise.

> also have an old hotplate somewhere. The more I think about it, the more I
> can understand why the ERC is not a part you would normally keep in stock.
> He told me that he only carries standard parts like elements and burner
> switches and the like. Basic repair items. Also, can you imagine with

all
> the different makes/models out there, it would almost be IMPOSSIBLE to

stock
> every single kind of ERC... I looked around on the web for the part, like
> Vox mentioned, and even I couldn't believe how many different controllers
> there are. I DID locate the part at repairclinic.com, and it was $204.65
> and not in stock. I take it this must be a hot item! :-) Anyway, the
> technician was very understanding and promised me that he would be over to
> install it the moment it arrives...
>
> BTW, here's the part I need:
>
> http://www.repairclinic.com/0081.asp?RccPartID=499508
>

> Cheers!
> Jordan
>

> "Chris Webster" > wrote in message
> >
> > > use, at which point it will be time for a new stove anyway. The bad

> news is
> > > that the part has to specially ordered from Frigidaire, which he said

> might
> > > take up to 2-3 weeks, provided that they have the part in stock.[...]

> Brad was
> > > correct. The guy told me that these things go bad all the time.
> > > Apparently, it's a very common and well known problem....

> > If its very common, then why the %@!# don't they stock the part. 2-3
> > weeks is absurd.
> >
> > --Chris

Yes your first guess was right the ERC does control just the oven and
timer. If you will notice you have a sensor in the oven. This sensor
reads the temp and gives that data back to the ERC. The ERC then can
control the elements monitoring the set temp. If there is an error in
the computer module there are no built in bypasses. The upside is you
get more accurate temperature monitoring and reap a more energy
efficent range. The downside you have less longevity. Even with
beeping you can use burners but yes to get rid of irritating sound you
can unplug ERC. Most likely you have a spark module that controls the
burners on a gas range or if electric the power goes directly to the
burner switches on the front which then thru resistance feeds the
burner elements. I hope this helps.